Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Synastren posted:

If you want to see a replay of me getting punched in the face constantly: https://sc2replaystats.com/replay/23429387

If you want to watch good players there's a stacked two part event coming up
Korean side / World side

I'm so conflicted about this one. On the one hand that tourney looks like it'll be fantastic. On the other hand, it's a pretty legitimately controversial tournament.

All I know is that PiG is casting. Whenever it happens.

Skipping it because of who is organizing it, but I hate pig's casting, so double good. Happy that some SC2 pros will get extra money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

DTurtle posted:

DOTA 2 has a prize pool of $15 million.

Dota dethroned SC2 as the crown jewel of esports a decade ago or better. Valve jumped in with both feet, while Blizz sat around and shook their fist at those kids. :shrug:

Also, worth considering that even if the winning team gets 5m, that's still maybe 1 mil per player on the team, assuming no alternates, and that the prize money isn't also shared with the staff and org.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I want to think League of Legends dethroned StarCraft II and Brood War in 2011.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Synastren posted:

Dota dethroned SC2 as the crown jewel of esports a decade ago or better. Valve jumped in with both feet, while Blizz sat around and shook their fist at those kids. :shrug:

Also, worth considering that even if the winning team gets 5m, that's still maybe 1 mil per player on the team, assuming no alternates, and that the prize money isn't also shared with the staff and org.
I mostly posted those numbers because the OP gave the impression that there was a huge prize pool for Starcraft.

I mean, 500k isn't nothing, but Starcraft (Remastered + 2) is only a very small slice of the pie there.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

DTurtle posted:

I mostly posted those numbers because the OP gave the impression that there was a huge prize pool for Starcraft.

I mean, 500k isn't nothing, but Starcraft (Remastered + 2) is only a very small slice of the pie there.

500k was the prize pool at IEM Katowice, the ultimate tournament of the previous professional season. The prize pool for the real tournament at this Saudi event is 400k.

TI2022 (the ultimate Dota2 tournament) had just shy of a 19m prize pool. The prize pool at this tournament is 15m.

It looks to me like they're comparable events within their own scenes!

Within the overall scope of sc2, this upcoming tournament is a big payout. Within the overall scope of esports, it is sizable, but not enormous. SC2 is a niche esport anyone who cares about esports is at least aware of, if not has experience with, Dota2, or League, or CS, or Fortnite, or Apex.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
that's 500k not going towards buying bonesaws for dissidents

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

League of legends is an interesting eSport. Riot ruled it with an iron fist from the outset and that structure and backing made for a strong scene but I do wonder if it's only a popular spectator sport because so many people play it.

I feel like StarCraft 2 and Dota and even CS have a level of reach outside of just people who play the games (me for example), and riots locked down approach may hurt it one day if the playerbase shrinks. People like big, important tournaments and not being allowed to compete at big events must hurt the scene

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://twitter.com/day9tv/status/1647012642979184640

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

not much faith in his mom's new offering then clearly!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Didn’t he already found a game company?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Didn’t he already found a game company?

No, but he's worked with and consulted at a few of them.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I don't watch his stream very often anymore. Does he play a lot of Age of Empires? I'm curious why he is making a RTS when he seems to mostly play Dota and Magic the Gathering.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see any mention of the genre of the game.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
yeah he's been doing tcgs for a long time I believe, seems most likely it would be something in that domain if anything. rts are extremely not the domain of small design studios as far as anyone can tell

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Oasx posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see any mention of the genre of the game.

Tweet says "multiplayer PC strategy game"
When I type that out, I realize that doesn't necessarily mean RTS.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Played a really fun ZvZ vs. CatZ on ladder: https://drop.sc/replay/23471553.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q-x_N8KuIA

This is really funny despite the dumb click bait title/thumbnail. I almost didn't watch it because it looked too click baity

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Round of 16 has started in GSL

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 25, 2023

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Win or lose Byun always has fun games.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Anyone else watching GSL?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I haven't seen any yet, but I am going to work through the youtube playlist!

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

Fozzy The Bear posted:

The games have been fun but oof it's tough watching them reduced to this remote format and asking for donations.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
If we’re in for a meta where Terrans just win all the time then I might just stop watching.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

rjmccall posted:

If we’re in for a meta where Terrans just win all the time then I might just stop watching.

Gyuri is gone, so welp

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
I'm almost done watching Group B and enjoying this season so far. Glad the robot voice got tuned down after Group A video. I didn't realize that Byun is #3 overall on aligulac.com, I feel like last time I looked he wasn't near there. Really enjoyed watching his games!

Fozzy The Bear posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q-x_N8KuIA

This is really funny despite the dumb click bait title/thumbnail. I almost didn't watch it because it looked too click baity

Same about almost not watching, but it was valuable. I went back and watched the match he references. With knowledge of the "lie" it is interesting how many times the casters talk about the players making the wrong move and their reasons for why it's something they still might do. Made it kinda clear how much difference there is between a Pro player and a GM. Also made me feel better that GMs don't play perfect either.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

12:20 (in game time) in the winner match GSL RO8 Group B

SOOOOO GOOD!!

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

GSP TOP 4!~!!!!!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Frost Giant just announced that they'll start closed external pre-alpha testing for Stormgate in July, it'll be under NDA but they said they'll at least show off gameplay before that starts: https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormgate/comments/13jroe1/stormgate_closed_testing_update/

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Cicero posted:

Frost Giant just announced that they'll start closed external pre-alpha testing for Stormgate in July, it'll be under NDA but they said they'll at least show off gameplay before that starts: https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormgate/comments/13jroe1/stormgate_closed_testing_update/

thanks for reminding me, I'll post it to the Stormgate thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4004432

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 18, 2023

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

GSL finals were ok, a few exciting games. I skipped some of the games. :)

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I will review and see if I want to watch. Thank you for the update!

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
I love Terran and all but that was a lot of TvT to sit through. Hopefully there’s a better mix in the next season!

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

I played a few games tonight, and they only came in one of two flavors:

Allins with <40 workers
Completely, utterly passive turtle opponent

what the gently caress happened here, this is awful

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Synastren posted:

I played a few games tonight, and they only came in one of two flavors:

Allins with <40 workers
Completely, utterly passive turtle opponent

what the gently caress happened here, this is awful

I'm sort of curious what sort of MP scene SC2 has these days, I guess this answers my question! Back in the day I was a big fan of the Life's a Glitch guys (they did the "When Cheese Fails" videos) and now they are casting SC2 games again. People send them replays so... there must be some people out there playing?

https://www.youtube.com/@LifesAGlitchTV

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
GSL finals were very good. I skipped the Ro4 and half of Ro8 because of so much TvT. Also it's tough to keep up with the tournaments, I've only got so much time in a day I can spend on starcraft. I was super happy to hear at the end that next season is offline competition. I wonder what kind of deal was made to fund that change.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
they funded it via patreon and donations on afreeca afaik

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Its been a few years since I've watched live Starcraft. Is this new Twitch change going to change ESL or whatever tournament?

https://twitter.com/zachbussey/status/1666111296209661953

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Probably not, but they also tweeted like 5 hours later that they were going to change it again, so...

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What is a burned in ad? On where the streamer switches their feed to an ad instead of letting twitch cover up the stream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

ilmucche posted:

What is a burned in ad? On where the streamer switches their feed to an ad instead of letting twitch cover up the stream?

I'm sure someone else can better describe them. Its like in GSL, where they have those ads for energy drinks. Its part of the stream itself. Its burnt in, meaning if you watch the VOD, those same ads are part of it.
Twitch ads are played over, on top of the normal stream, if you watch the VODs here, the ads are gone, because they were just played over the stream.