Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
ESL Summer tournament going to wrap up today. Just finished watching the first semi final set and it was great to watch! Excited for the final later today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7HVZeMnB_w

Fight back vs the Terran!!

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Homestory Cup started today!

https://twitch.tv/taketv

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

GSL Season 2 is on and Bunny TY g2 is a pretty wild back and forth game so far

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Suplex Liberace posted:

GSL Season 2 is on and Bunny TY g2 is a pretty wild back and forth game so far

jesus that is a group

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJN2EgCL67I
wow! all of the games are so good

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

There are some cool comebacks in group B, so don't fast forward through games you think are over (like I did :( )

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
I've totally missed out on Homestory Cup. I wish Harstem still did his "SC2DAY" show for recaps of the big stuff. Gonna watch some GSL Group B this weekend :sun:

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

GSL is really delivering this season, geez.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I'd be ok watching nothing but Byun vs Solar

Games so good

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
today's group owned holy poo poo

life of lemons
Sep 7, 2005

I steal stuff all the time.
https://play.afreecatv.com/gslenglish/247517068 finals on now

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

insane

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Apparently the secret to getting to grandmasters is to stick around until everyone else has stopped playing the game.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

grenada posted:

Apparently the secret to getting to grandmasters is to stick around until everyone else has stopped playing the game.

Congratulations!

Once upon a time I was playing GMs regularly, but I've gotten so much worse since then that I don't know if I'll ever break back into M3, even.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

grenada posted:

still a cool feat either way, good job :)

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Synastren posted:

Congratulations!

Once upon a time I was playing GMs regularly, but I've gotten so much worse since then that I don't know if I'll ever break back into M3, even.

Yea I'd still be diamond 1 if I tried to play standard macro zerg. I'll mess around with macro zerg when I play on my 4000 mmr random account and I lose more often than not when I try to go pure serral style macro.

I realized a year or so ago that terrans and protoss have universally gotten very good at macro so someone like me who is mediocre at macro needs to be extremely aggressive from the start of the game to throw them off balance. I play two-base nydus/swarmhost in all three matchups and have gotten to the point where I can still beat folks with it even when they know it's all I do.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

grenada posted:

Well done

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

grenada posted:

Congrats! I'd need at least another decade or two of people leaving to make it there.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
GSL coming back next week! They sent out the calendar

The group list is out with it. Nice to see two non-koreans in the running. I doubt they will get far, but I'll be cheering for them :cheers:

Also a lot of drama online about the most recent patch, it will be interesting to see what the pros do with it.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Oh snap I haven’t paid attention to the new patch! Or this game, really…

What’s the change that has caused da drama?

Also drat, GSL is a shell of its former self, super sad!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
they adjusted a lot and completely overhauled cyclones. the balance of each race changed in some really significant ways. banelings in particular just got a big nerf

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

GSL group A had some great games and some interesting games.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Oh snap I haven’t paid attention to the new patch! Or this game, really…

What’s the change that has caused da drama?

The cyclone change seemed IMBA at first due to how quickly cyclones can be pumped out via reactors but speed roaches/lings deal with them fine if you can hold the early pressure. They're way easier to kill compared to the old cyclone as long as you don't let the early early pressure snowball. I don't really use banelings in any matchup so I can't say how big the impact is but I'm sure it'll help protoss in PvZ. It was never really fair that like 4 banelings with +2 could wipe an entire mineral line so this change should force zerg to invest a bit more resources to get the same impact which seems fair. No idea how the baneling change will impact high level ZvT bio. I suppose I'll have to check out some of the GSL games to see how it worked out. From reading on reddit it sounds like maru just went mass cyclone both games which might explain the 2-0 in favor of scarlett

Overall the changes are actually pretty good (and I'm really enjoying the new maps) but a vocal minority within the sc2 subreddit has worked itself into a frenzy over the patch and how "the ~balance council~ is conspiring to keep protoss weak forever and ruin SC2." I can't believe there's dorks out there typing 1000 word screeds on reddit for this 15 year old game.... but here we are!

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

grenada posted:

From reading on reddit it sounds like maru just went mass cyclone both games which might explain the 2-0 in favor of scarlett

Fake news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

GSL group D out
There were some fun games in there.

e: whoops, hopefully no one saw that

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 19, 2023

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
I'm still only halfway through group B. That group A was pretty great.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Cleaning out my place due to a move and came across these. Throwback to the zeez team league days during WoL.

rip zeez

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Diplomat posted:

Cleaning out my place due to a move and came across these. Throwback to the zeez team league days during WoL.

rip zeez

The gray one (which is much less worn than mine, apparently!) dates to Swarm!

RIP zeez

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Diplomat posted:

rip zeez

Those are sweet! I wish I had them!

ZIP reez

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
lmao watch today's GSL it's a banger. first series is good. dark vs bunny game 1 is also really something

E: okay this day continues to be great, holy poo poo

here's the link to today's vod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItmeOCHE5gU

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 26, 2023

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Wow, this season's GSL champ really took out a murderer's row of former champs to take the title. Really nice to see someone I have viewed as a perennial B list/second tier player break through and get a title, especially through just really solid play.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
yeah that was one of the most dominant days of starcraft I've ever seen someone play. particularly that first series good loving lord

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://twitter.com/dota2updates/status/1722023533411553619

:lol::lol:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
lmao i bet that engine actually would work great for building an RTS in

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Just want to say, it took 13(?) years, but I wanted to congratulate our own for this achievement that popped up while I was playing:

Finally got 100 wins! :lol::lol:

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Just want to say, it took 13(?) years, but I wanted to congratulate our own for this achievement that popped up while I was playing:

Finally got 100 wins! :lol::lol:

To be fair, that was my old handle when the servers were split. My Terran alt, as it were.

I started playing random on that account, thus the Zerg cheevo.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
gj, excited to see you hit 200 in 2035!

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
I need a gif of Gumiho's tanks stuck in his base from the GSL final haha. Also the finals didn't go the way I expected. It was funny that both finalists said they had put in more prep work for the semifinal game.

In current events, HomeStory Cup XXIV has started, day 1 is done. I'll have to look for vods to watch, the timezone is not friendly for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

PleasantDilemma posted:

I need a gif of Gumiho's tanks stuck in his base from the GSL final haha. Also the finals didn't go the way I expected. It was funny that both finalists said they had put in more prep work for the semifinal game.

In current events, HomeStory Cup XXIV has started, day 1 is done. I'll have to look for vods to watch, the timezone is not friendly for me.

Some enjoyable games, and fantastic commentary, as usual. My favorite commentary line so far was something like:

"I used to think that +2 armor was useless in roach vs roach. Then Serral told me it was good, actually. I don't know why it's good, but I trust Serral with my life."