Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Pretty good story on Asimov calling a shot on 2019 from 35 yrs ago.

Computers he nailed. Everything else... :smith:

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/...t-he-wrote.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sexism could also explain that a bit

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Wrassilin is real.

https://deadspin.com/triple-h-donald-trump-is-unclear-on-whether-wrestling-1790037536

quote:

WWE wrestler/McMahon son-in-law Triple H briefly mentions the limo-explosion storyline, and then reveals that Donald Trump—a longtime pro wrestling performer, mind you—called McMahon’s office to find out if he had really died after the explosion aired

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Its interesting that there's a supply problem yet I see them going around like candy every finals week on my campus.

Same when I was in grad school. Hell I've been exposed to over a decade of unfettered access to Ritalin in academia. Still not trying that poo poo though.

E: Jodie, but for your drugs.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Did it actually line up to the intended poster so far? I remember reading it in the full context before and the poster was like "lol ok whatever"

Just wondering how that actually turned out. Schadenfreude sustains me.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Liz Warren is just about the worst candidate we could put up against Trump. I like her politics, don’t get me wrong. But Trump will crush her. We need someone that can metaphorically punch trump in the nose over and over again.

Give me Tammy Duckworth and let her call him bone spurs in chief. I’ll go door to door in my red as gently caress town for Duckworth.

Maybe Warren can be Vice President. I’d love to see an all female ticket win.

Yeah same. I think Warren could be a good president and I like her policies so far based on what she's advocated in the senate.

But, she can't beat Trump in the general and I don't trust her to run well in the campaign so I can't support her as a candidate. Her as a VP is a good call and would be nice to see. An all woman ticket would also be pretty rad.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Lou Takki posted:

Good, lets impeach this motherfucker.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Pay some dumb kid $10 to throw a rock that lands within 100ft of a border agent.

THIS MEANS WAAAAR

Ah the Israeli maneuver

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Bolow posted:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/proud-boys-gavin-mcinnes-neighbors_us_5c2f843ae4b0e755f65c38bc?6mm

Proud Boys founder is getting upset that his neighbors put signs up in their yards telling him to gently caress off

Also here's a picture of him without his beard

Has no chin while also having 5 chins :psyduck:

Bob's Burgers did a live action ep?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Trying not to hold my laughter while I ask if TSA employees are unionized.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

They are but their own loving employees don't support them.

Surprised they are and that's sad.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Some of the comments are saying he's been fired by MAG Aerospace, the contractor that does that. Chances are he was an army Blackhawk crew chief prior to being a contractor. Also the number of "it's a joke you leftist crybaby snowflakes" comments replying to that tweet, as well as those just voicing support, is insane and really makes me sad.

Some are good.

https://twitter.com/JerkVladimir/status/1044070688418553858?s=20

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Ah just another thing on the "What would benefit Russia more than us" pile.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

So in the last day we hear Bolton saying we're not leaving Syria actually, the WH saying that nothing has changed from the President's last statement (immediate withdrawal), and Turkey so mad about it that Erdogan didn't meet with Bolton while he was there.

Pompeo is on his way over (is already over?) in other arab states to reassure them that we're going to support them and you just lost your wildly popular SecDef because the POTUS made a spur of the moment decision while on the phone with Erdogan that literally no one but him seemed to like.

What a loving goat rodeo.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

LongDarkNight posted:

The speech is only supposed to be 8 minutes. Betting it goes 30 and Democratic response gets cut for time.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

McNally posted:

I mean, BP already knew there was a lot of oil in the Gulf of Mexico. They put it there, after all.

I'm from the directly affected area there and loving lmao.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

orange juche posted:

If you read the motherboard article the concern isn't the IMEI numbers database, which is frankly kinda useless if you don't have location data, but the fact that there are companies selling the live, down to the minute location data of any phone as long as you know the phone number. Phone numbers are much easier to get a hold of than IMEI numbers.

This is kind of horrifying if you say had a bad date with someone who turns out to be a creepy one.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Godholio posted:

We choose to do these things not because they are easy, but because they are racist, expensive, and ripe for corruption.

I appreciate this

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

BigDave posted:

Yeah screw the networks, I'll read a recap in the Washington Post tomorrow morning.

Same. No interest in a propaganda broadcast.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

So that's a thing

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1083022011574747137

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Do a test then send big letters in envelopes then invite Trump over for disarmament talks.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

This is literally what the Mueller inquiry is so I don't see whats new?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Hahaha I just saw a commercial that Mooch is doing Celebrity Big Brother

I saw that too... :chloe:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Wasn't just her album that dropped.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Thwomp posted:

The be all end all of bad looking previous beliefs PR is the simple “Yes, I believed those ideas at the time. But I’ve since had my eyes opened by x, y, and z. I now believe in [cause]. I ask anyone hurt by past words/deeds to forgive me and I hope to work with them towards [cause] in the future.”

You know, the Obama line on gay marriage.

This would apply to Gabbard, Hart, and a poo poo ton of others because it’s common loving decency and sense, Jesus Christ.

Don't think she's done that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/amyfiscus/status/1085027414026215424

I thought talking to allied partners was tough post-election, I cannot imagine how it will be going forward.

Cui bono?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Spurdo?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

look at me, look at meeeee

https://twitter.com/RealCandaceO/status/1084583223085223938

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

and you're linking it

links / pageviews mean nothing on twitter

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

McNally posted:

The latest House bill to end the SBP-DIC offset, HR 553, has been introduced.

Please ask your congressfucker.

Hey yo I have followed your story a bit and will call my congressman, could you give me like 1-2 sentences to say about the bill and why my dude should support it? Just wanted a clear statement to give when I call.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

McNally posted:

There are two benefits for surviving spouses of deceased military members: Dependency and Indemnity Compensation, through the VA, is paid the the surviving spouse of a veteran who dies of a service-connected condition or an active duty service member who dies in the line of duty. As the name suggests the payment is made in exchange for holding the government harmless in the case of the death of the veteran or service member. The other is the DoD's Survivor Benefit Plan which is a plan a retiree pays into in order to provide his surviving spouse continuing benefits following the retiree's death (and is also granted when an active duty service member dies in the line of duty). The two benefits are intended to pay out for completely different reasons, yet every dollar of DIC received is deducted from SBP payments.

That's more than 1-2 sentences, though, so the short version is "Congress promised to eliminate this offset 10 loving years ago but never did."

I can totally work with that. Thanks! Just couldn't remember exactly how both fit together to gently caress you over.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

theresa may survived the vote

lol so no second referendum and she does what, try to put her plan up for vote again? The one that just lost by an unprecedented margin?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Torrannor posted:

If she would have lost, it would have meant new elections. A second referendum is still in the cards now that she survived, but the possibility of a no-deal Brexit have also increased. At least a new general election would have meant an almost certain extension of the deadline.

Ah I did not know that a second referendum would be something May would do, thanks!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Torrannor posted:

Well, it's complicated. May doesn't want to hold a second referendum, but neither does the leader of the opposition, Jeremy Corbyn. But a lot of members of parliament want one. It's all kinds of crazy right now, because a big majority of MPs is against May's deal, and a (differen) majority is against no-deal Brexit (including May and Corbyn). And there might also be a majority against a second referendum. But sooner or later they will have to agree on something, or they will crash out of the EU by default. Right now, it's anybody's guess whether Brexit will be delayed/abolished, or if there will be a no-deal Brexit, or if there actually is a deal that can get a majority in the Commons and the backing of the EU.

This is a great example of 'tragedy of the commons' jfc.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Sadly probably gonna take something like an air to air collision of a couple domestic flights to break this deadlock.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Lol

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

quote:

The HHS inspector general says “thousands” more migrant children were likely separated by the Trump administration than previously known.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/17/report-trump-administration-migrants-1093242

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

DeVos had a bout of karma.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/17/devos-bicycle-accident-wheelchair-1108564

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

lmao who the gently caress gave Prince Phillip the car keys?

(He's fine.)

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/prince-philip-car-accident_us_5c40df9ce4b041e98ffc03f1

Was gonna say it runs in the family but Di wasn't a blood relation :shrug: