Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Icon Of Sin posted:

That post from Shim was a marvel to behold. As far as prophecies go, I think he nailed 9/10 points for whoever it was pointed at.

I remember that post specifically because about the time he wrote it a (now very very ex) mate of mine went into British army intelligence and pretty much overnight turned into one of those people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Liz Warren is just about the worst candidate we could put up against Trump. I like her politics, don’t get me wrong. But Trump will crush her. We need someone that can metaphorically punch trump in the nose over and over again.

That will be really hard to do, the problem with that man is punching him is like punching a bag of mouldy potatoes - you can't make it look any worse than it already is.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

Biden, Lewis, and others got votes. One dude tried to vote for "no" and his vote was switched to present.

No did nothing wrong.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

A Bad Poster posted:

How can he think that's a good picture of himself? He looks like a bag of oatmeal dropped onto the floor of a barbershop.

I've just checked this with google images (and I wish I hadn't, jesus) - he is a man who cannot have a picture taken of him without him pulling a face like a 3 year old. Seriously, try and find one.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Why the heck would anyone join this administration at this point? :psyduck:

If you're shameless and think it'll turn you a profit in the next year, why wouldn't you? Your competition are idiots.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Godholio posted:

"Let's keep treating *condition* the way we always have even if we know it's not a great idea now" is a bad idea.

Edit: That doesn't mean I think all ADHD sufferers should be blocked out; also I didn't realize I had 130 loving new posts in this thread to read.

I'm not trying to get at you saying this because we're not trying to make the same point, but my boyfriend has adult ADHD, when we finally got him the bloody Ritalin at age *40*, he went from basically useless to a full time electronic engineer in like a year. That poo poo is debilitating and so easy to bloody fix - way too many people I've known over the years that went military that have basically the same problem.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

McNally posted:

I thought he'd already exposed himself to a bunch of teenagers years ago.

Thanks, I've just remembered Trapped in the Closet exists and is on Youtube.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

LongDarkNight posted:

Getting his tax returns and proving to the world he's not a billionaire will be more effective and likely to cause him to stroke out on live TV.

This. Every time he pulls that wobbly face because he's been humiliated he pretty much sits in the White House and doesn't do anything for a week. Breaking his head like that continuously is your best chance to at least get him to shut the gently caress up.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Lol

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Oh god, I was bored so I did some rough calculations on the border wall (my arithmetic is awful so I might have missed a zero somewhere). If you built it out of strakes the advertised height and depth (8.2M) and they were box steel sections 10cm x 10cm that were 0.5cm thick (seemed sensible and my local foundry makes them), you need $4B of mild steel (going by the local rate in my city in the UK, I live in steel central) and ~3% of your total mild steel output (on 2017 figures) for a year to do it, covering the official length of the border.

That was a really naive, conservative, back of the envelope calculation though. I've just started going through the definition of the USA/Mexico border - the "Treaty of Limits". Borders and map making are really interesting and also complex as all hell, and the fractal nature of measuring them is something you get taught as a young budding mathematician. For problems like that I generally bump up the naive value by like 3x to compensate for the on the ground routing and nature's hatred of people like me making simple estimates.

Basically the raw materials alone would cost you a NASA, and the construction cost is going to be 10x that minimum. I didn't even look at the cost of concrete, fuel, shipping, wages and buying all the land you don't own.

Lol, jesus. You literally can't build this thing even if most of you wanted to.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

McNally posted:

I mean, BP already knew there was a lot of oil in the Gulf of Mexico. They put it there, after all.

Lol, too good :)

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Suicide Watch posted:

It's probably a database with IMEI numbers tied to owners of the phone plans. In the US don't you need an ID to purchase a SIM card? Someone else may know more but wouldn't any country that requires an ID to purchase a SIM card be able to do this?

It's really easy to figure out a track on a person from even crap data (just the accelerometer output is enough to define a specific person and know what they're up to), bunch of good papers online about it, e.g. here, there's shitloads of research available publicly. "Big data" is a problem and nobody has figured out how to deal with it.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

not caring here posted:

100mm box with 5 mm wall x 8 meters long, if you can get to the fence with a rope and a 1976 Suzuki Samurai, you could loop the fence up high and just tow bend it down to the ground. Or snap it off.

I'd go with spraying sulphuric acid at the base, there's no way they'd get replaced fast enough to deal with it. Stainless would cost like 100x more.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Vasudus posted:

I don't know how accurate it really was but there was some article I read after trump posted a picture of the slats w/ the SUV some engineering guy that worked on major civil projects tried to price it out. It came out to like 3500 bucks a slat if they were properly rated for the weather/soil/etc. It would consume almost a third of all US steel production for several years and I think a quarter of the entire world's Zinc output. You would also have to build multiple concrete facilities on-site because there's no way you can haul that much. Not including a penny of profit or overhead it was already in the many hundreds of billions just for the materials alone.

Yeh, it's utterly nuts, my estimate didn't have any bracing or foundations etc in it, and I have no idea how to even account for workers. And that dumbass guess topped out about $50B. Which considering all the stuff I didn't add in is going to be like $500B. Which considering maintenance will be more like $2T for the budget to construction completion.

And god help you if you want to use an interesting alloy for it, because that increases everything a huge amount because the US doesn't have that production capability.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

That's my hope for Trump

You'd need NASA to make the bloody rope.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Nicolae Ceaușescu was the one who ate machine gun bullets but I think he and his wife were executed outside of the state TV station.

Yep, I remember seeing the footage on the 6pm BBC news when I was a kid.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Nice and hot piss posted:

Can you explain to me why every single bathroom stall in an entire airport has been used by someone who completely misses the toilet bowl for both urine and bowel movements?

It'll break your head when you realise it's because a large percentage of humans never learned how to poo poo properly. Look around you next time you're out shopping or in the city and contemplate that.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

EBB posted:

World's most powerful lizard person divorces, eats mate of 25 years:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/09/tech/jeff-bezos-wife-divorce/index.html

I hope she takes half his cash. I had maths mates that went to work for Amazon in like 1998 when I was in college, so I've been hearing stories about how much as a psychopath he is for 20 drat years now. Hope one of his drones drops a brick on his head.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Deathy McDeath posted:

OH BOY OH BOY :nsa: :nsa: :nsa: :nsa:

I'd give you a month until they do a test. Goddamn this is stupid.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

So it could be anything from nothing to something!

Trump! I loving hate that man.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

I'm watching Trump talk about the wall, apart from the normal word salad, has anyone mentioned to him that all the "nasty" stuff he keeps talking about all comes in by boat? Off the top of my head, the Coast Guard, JIATF South and West might have something to say about it as it's their literal job.

This is just getting mental now.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

Where we're going, we don't need walls.

I think "A wheel is older than a wall" crashed my brain.

e: I can't listen to your president speak, I find it physically painful to parse what the hell he's trying to say.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

EBB posted:

donnie wondering how he can clear the room to get at the bricks of coke

They're blocks of paper, wraps of drugs don't look like that. Which is amusing me as every time the camera pans down I keep thinking I'm looking at a legal office.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

That genuinely made me laugh out loud :D

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

nwin posted:

So is that funding currently being used to restore those states from past disasters, or is it funding allocated for anticipated disasters?

Reason I ask-if it’s for anticipated disasters and they end up having a disaster, won’t they just allocate more cash for it?

If the former, Jesus gently caress man.

Previous as far as I know, it’s recovery funds for the various disasters.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

EBB posted:

WHERE THE HECK IS WALL

Wheel

e: Please tell me you've watched Father Ted. If not, do so, it'll make you feel better. You'll know why I said that afterwards.

Hexyflexy fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 11, 2019

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Best Friends posted:

Park rangers are the best cops because they did not become Park rangers to be cops and they act really embarrassed about their cop functions.

I wanted that job when I was a kid, getting paid to walk around forests all day would be awesome.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

The money is in the banana stand.

e:

Mr. Nice! posted:

trump is going to declare a national emergency and deploy troops to build the wall. It's going to be 2000 miles of chainlink fence with some concertina wire rusting in front of it.

This is super likely.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

What the gently caress, Nance is good now?

She's a political enforcer as you know. You need to be some combination of smart, a violent bastard fighter and a spy to do that well.

Probably not a good person, but you need one of whatever the hell she is right now.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

He is way too old for the big seat, he'd die.

e: It's only the last few months people have started to put themselves forwards, they've got most of 2019 to put their names up, the front runner may be someone that's not tried to go for it yet.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Professor Bling posted:

I'm in IL so gently caress me if it actually matters but I'm not voting for anyone that doesn't at the least support rent control, universal healthcare, and student loan amnesty/free college.
That is my compromise position, because my non-compromise position is murdering the rich and giving landlords the bullet while we implement full communism.

I'd never be angry at you for feeling like that, and I'm not going to be a dick and try and change your mind. Largely because that's how I feel in the UK - gently caress it, go with what you feel. I don't think it'll make a whole hell of a lot of difference to the total outcome, but who cares, you can sleep at night.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Bored As gently caress posted:

Oh for fucks sake.

I'll be nice because I've had some very good experiences with UK police, but at the same time, you're hated for a good reason - you loving scare people.

I had a really abusive partner in the past, and the police in the end took me out of there after the idiot tried to kill me and were kind as all hell. If they hadn't have been, gently caress knows what I'd have done to myself.

On the other hand, you do randomly beat the poo poo out of black dudes like me, so, we don't particularly trust you. You could kinda stop with the beating, we might all change our mind about the trust thing.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Kawasaki Nun posted:

when you say "that" which words exactly are you referring to?

AOL, nobody wants to see that. (why the hell was that on that list)

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

Everyone dressed like that in the 90s. It was awesome.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

psydude posted:

The goal posts have moved to the other side of the field.

A judge is pretty much only going to consider there was any goal made at all. Good luck!

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

It’s the layers that add up.

That's how we deal with that calculation in physics. Someone release the piss tape, every other single part of that dossier by mr "I'm not MI6" has been true.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

We already know this, what we haven't got is any info on where the camps are or a journalist would have been able to get in there by now. Nowt, nada, nothing you bastards.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Getting turned on by piss play = doesn't concern me.

Getting turned on by paying several prostitutes to piss on a hotel bed = guillotine once the revolution comes, for reason of being a rich gently caress

Getting turned on by having prostitutes piss on a bed the first African-American president (that you just succeeded) slept in = guillotine for being a racist son of a bitch

same. Apart from the last one, I want that broadcasted via satellite to every person on the planet.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

My favorite trumpism continues to be his fear of stairs, and hatred of people whon blithely walk down them.

If I was in charge of how air force one was dealt with, I'd make sure the steps were 2 inches steeper every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

I had to check that was real, it is according to CNN. Jesus, that's brilliant :D