Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Holy loving poo poo :aaa:

I legitimately thought this was a fake thing at first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Hey EBB can we get a Government Shutdown Baby Pool thread with some sort of Constipated Trump with a Crown Av handed out as the victor going?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

We were on station with the Charles de Gaulle on our 2010 deployment and we did something like a 30-40 person crew swap for a week. There was a guy in Ops I stood watch with who got to go over and I just asked him about the bread and cheese for like 2 hours juxtaposed against our "I hope they've got hard boiled eggs" Midrats. I think he got sick of me asking about it after maybe 10 minutes.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Well, did you get an answer?

Well I mean you saw the picture didn't you? Ain't nobody baking on an (American) aircraft carrier. He said it loving owned and they had a wine ration.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

orange juche posted:

My dude one of the CS2s i knew would disagree with that wholeheartedly, he was the night baker and his sole job all night was to bake about 7 or 800 loaves of bread during his shift. It was garbage bread, but he did bake it.

(they didn't let it rise properly before baking it)

I've been going through my memories for the last couple of hours, and I remember some white bread when maybe we had a hamburger bar and some rolls, and those were almost always within a week of a port visit. Carbs we're almost exclusively rice and lovely noodles.

There is not a single instance that I can recall of the smell of fresh baked bread on the mess decks.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

For sure my Navy memories are a little hazy as well, but I've got a pretty good memory in general and I trust it if it tells me that the relationship between Fresh Bread and Chow results in DIVIDE BY ZERO.

But an entire freezer full of those loving Uncrustables? Boy howdy we got enough of those to feed the crew eight times.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 6, 2019

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Crakkerjakk posted:

All I remember from chowhall on Iwo was the longer you were away from Port, the more every meal turned into soggy rice and greasy as poo poo chicken. Really made the berthing areas fragrant.

Agreed.

On the CVN we had sort of a quick grab bar on both ends of the mess line and that was pretty much my go to because like hell I'm waiting 45 minutes on my off schedule to get calories. Life was a constant battle of free time v. Fuel.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Fallom posted:

It's bizarre that people would consider supporting a deal with the GOP as if they weren't 100% likely to ignore, subvert, or undermine it.

If you replace "people" with "Sitting Democratic Congresspersons or Senators" is this not the first time in recent memory where such a capitulation is possible not to take place? Still wagering 70/30 they are going to fold and give a billion-plus fun bux to the Executive in order to remove the stalemate.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

facialimpediment posted:

Here's the condensed speech, if you really want it.

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1082856609276194821

Resting fat breath.

Yeah.....no, the image is enough.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Hahaha I just saw a commercial that Mooch is doing Celebrity Big Brother

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I'm torn as to whether or not the R's are able to use a Trump indictment to put the cement shoes on (or even care to), or whether they still fear backlash from his constituency and don't force him out and just let Pelosi dunk on him harmlessly for the next year and change.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Proud Christian Mom posted:

They will absolutely get burned. The base bought into Trump completely and there is no turning back.

Its more of a hope than reality question, there's been no squirming locally from the kinds of folks that responded to him in the first place.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

That's not really my experience. In, the Twittersphere, sure, but from my view of my local politics, his base is a bunch of dudes from the white working class sector from early 40s to retirement age, that were working class in the age of manufacturing globalization, that vehemently despise immigrants, and have been rewarded with the one dude that's going to tell that poo poo like it is. Their response has been mostly to start, in very public forums and unprovoked, making cracks about his policies as "I don't care if Mickey Mouse in blackface is what it takes to disparage minorities, do it".

e: I guess my point is I hope there is one pocket of self-aware people out there that realize that they are wrong, but there probably isn't.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Thank god I don't have to edit my victory proclamation in the Shutdown guessing game.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I don't have the full text of this to validate this claim, but WaPo reports that Backpay will not extend to contractors:

https://twitter.com/damianpaletta/status/1088881280505335809

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I'm not familiar with this airplane, is the runway really narrow or is that thing the size of a 747?