Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
lmao that's like a hundred billion loving dollars (in paper) that just poofed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
realistic or not the readiness standards for medication and poo poo are always based off worst case scenario

they don't want people going off their meds, regardless of how likely it is or what the real impact will be

it's being a huge pain in the dick right now because retention is in the toilet but the quotas haven't really dropped

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

I figured this was the real reason but even so it's not like someone without ritalin is quite in the same boat as someone who can't access their inhaler.

it's actually one of the things i'm involved in, kinda sorta

tryin' to update medical regs from cold war era to post-gwot era

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
the talk of mass adhd waivers probably made someone in the office of force resiliency have unexplained stress making GBS threads

edit: to expand on this a tiny bit, there's a national limit of amphetamine salts (that's the pharma "safe" version that is adderall and most of its cousins) every year. The DoD is NOT exempt from this limit, they just have priority. There's a system in place to make sure that there's enough for all the currently prescribed people in the DoD for the year and a considerable reserve given national security. Opening the floodgates and allowing the DoD population to match the general population would be...bad. There's a lot of things that would have to change before that could be a feasible reality.

edit2: without going too deep in the weeds here, stuff like adhd or other behavioral issues are largely subjective if someone will be "fine" or not. Subjective things do not fit well with any resiliency or readiness model.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 3, 2019

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
They raise the limit every year but the amount of diagnosed people outpaces the amount authorized for production. Depending on where you are in the country at certain times of the year a lot of pharmacies can just...run out. The DoD gets a cut of the gross output based off their yearly needs. It's as stupid as it sounds.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Recruitment and resiliency are two similar but distinct issues. Recruitment is an always moving target based on largely outdated prediction models that are roughly 35 years old. The cracks really started to show in the GWOT/Surge era but there's major problems everywhere now. Long term a new model needs to be developed and from a force shaping perspective it's about as groundbreaking as 2+2 no longer being 4.

Resiliency is basically taking care of the forces you have. It's easier to move things around, policy wise, but it's infinitely more complicated because of that same fact.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Determining force shaping needs at this point is basically sorcery. You couldn't pay me enough to work in it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Nick Soapdish posted:

When I was over in Afghanistan sat in on the briefings for how to reach 8.4k force limit via TDY and other accounting wizardry. Then the election happened and none of it mattered. Cannot imagine how much that Army HR Major who's job it was to do that hated her life.

when you're doing lifecycle force shaping you have so many variables to consider it's insane

poo poo like how old your force is, specifically down to the MOS/AFSC/rate/etc, all sorts of medical readiness related poo poo, etc.

then you present your findings to some SES and they're like MORE PEOPLE and you have like 3 months to basically redo your entire year-long study on how the gently caress you're gonna miracle that number

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Fallom posted:

I hope somebody writes a book about how the USAF ended up firing 50% of its engineers while shrieking about how there's so few people with STEM degrees who want to commission

i've been on this job for a month and i know 1000% more about the high level strategic planning than i did before and holy fuckin poo poo

i would say 'you wouldn't believe the poo poo i've seen already' but i mean it's this forum so it's probably not that hard of a sell

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
insert joke about coming at the king and missing

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

my kinda ape posted:

all but the most severe cases

That's the problem. The DoD doesn't trust subjective things when it comes to readiness if they can help it. If one psychologist says "this will be fine" and another says "this will not be fine" then there's a risk.

edit: there are multiple working groups trying to figure this poo poo out right now

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The only way Bush would have said it would be if Cheney was still sock-puppeting his rear end if KBR/Halliburton could build it on a no-bid. Seeing as how this isn't 2004 I doubt that's the case.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My old client just had to leave their building because although the organization is fully funded by the NDAA, the building they're in is owned by NOAA and the security guards are now on furlough.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Impeachment is a lightning rod to both sides.

If it's used, it better be worth it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
yea a bunch of assistant secretaries / principal deputies / etc all punched out with mattis

nobody that would ever make the news even if they set their office on fire on the way out, but important cogs in the machine regardless

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
poo poo is going to for-real start breaking down sometime around the beginning of next <checks calendar> uh...tomorrow. Important things are going to stop working tomorrow. So really who knows, but more people are going to start suffering over this stupid loving wall.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Building a wall in any way suggested would be the single largest engineering project ever conducted in the modern world and probably all history. Don't have time to compare it to the great wall of china but they might have it beat if adjusted for modern times.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
OpEds are an endangered species of the post-escalator political world we live in, and I'm glad for it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I saw it written somewhere last year or so that if someone had said Trump poo poo himself on national television and then threw it at people, your natural reaction would be "gently caress me I have to see the video", because at this point why the gently caress not.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
what if its deutsche bank

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I don't know how accurate it really was but there was some article I read after trump posted a picture of the slats w/ the SUV some engineering guy that worked on major civil projects tried to price it out. It came out to like 3500 bucks a slat if they were properly rated for the weather/soil/etc. It would consume almost a third of all US steel production for several years and I think a quarter of the entire world's Zinc output. You would also have to build multiple concrete facilities on-site because there's no way you can haul that much. Not including a penny of profit or overhead it was already in the many hundreds of billions just for the materials alone.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's extra funny too because federal contracts don't work like that at all.

Firm Fixed Price contracts are paid upfront, Cost Plus are done per month. Assuming somehow you tried to stiff the contractors, you would get at the absolute most one month of "free" work. Until that contractor sued the gently caress out of the government for breach.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
he doesn't even have to wait for the va to kill him

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm not exactly thrilled by Harris but she'll probably get the nom.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
bernie is too old

i don't know anything about sherrod brown other than 'he's a senator from ohio' and if my largely informed rear end doesn't know that much about him beyond that, he's got some work to do

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
aoc gonna get hit with anti-slavery comments due to owning people so hard on social media it transcends into the physical realm

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

Fox news gonna start supporting her then?

they already do by promoting her platform with zero self awareness

like three or four times now

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Primaries are when the knives should be out.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Trump attacking Warren and Warren continually being defenseless has proven that the decorum wing of the party has learned absolutely nothing since 2016.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Why is the president wearing a heavy coat indoors?

It's because he's fat as poo poo and is trying to hide it, but still what in the gently caress.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The thing that always cracks me up about Trump appointees is that for the most part the hard stuff, actually running the department, is done by career folks that aren't going anywhere when the administration changes over. Yet somehow they manage to gently caress that up in the most spectacular way possible by hiring insanely toxic people that purge all the career folks. Then the department/office/etc. falls apart. You couldn't do a more effective sabotage if you tried.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Some of that dinnerware is probably two hundred years old.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The TPUSA people are so sad.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
the only differences between the us, russia, and mexico in regards to dealing with cartels/corporations/pacs is a few notches on the dial labeled 'capitalism', alternatively;

tired: buying the cops

wired: buying the president

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's also a matter that AOC is expected to maintain residency in her NYC district and DC. You know, two of the highest cost of living areas in the east coast at the same time.

It's really programmed into the system what type of people they want.

edit: we used to call the 40mm less-than-lethal things the "Dildo of Doom" and they were banned after like six weeks of being introduced in our area because some loving idiot shot it at a dude and collapsed their ribcage.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It does not, they have a special appropriation. *some* of their staff are outside contractors from biglaw and there might be a delay in paying invoices though.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I remember that movie plot. It wasn't very good.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's impressive how quickly Gillibrand is going to burn out. The democratic version of Walker's 2016 campaign.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Rudy is probably the worst attorney on the planet right now. Or at least the most publicly visible bad attorney. I'm sure there's someone out there that is literally worse. Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Fair, but I would argue that Cohen wasn't a real lawyer or at least presenting himself as one. Cohen was a fixer, and had Trump not won in 2016 would have continued to be one.

Rudy is trying to be an actual lawyermans on TV.