Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Real talk don’t hang around that 7/11 especially at night. The lodging near the BX looked ancient but I thought they re-did the one near the main gate in the last half decade? The strip is about 15-20 minutes on the highway but if you aren’t a 100% sober (no one would ever drink and drive in the Air Force) you can quite literally drive straight from the strip to the base on Las Vegas Blvd with minimal effort. Lock your doors though because those are some hellacious eighborhoods you’ll be going through.

Edit: Awful page snipe but if you have any questions about Vegas ask in the thread or PM me, I think a couple of other Neliis folk still hang around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yeah there are a few of us here.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Welp, Warrior Inn it is. It's very... functional, and there's a memo on the desk saying that the heat might not work, so I may have to pop over to the exchange to get some warm PJ's. But there's no mold on the walls and all the lights work, so at least it's a step up from Norfolk.

Is there any kind of on-base shuttle, or am I stuck hiking out to the front gate to catch an Uber?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

There used to be a shuttle...front desk should know the details.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
My career field just got put into Flight Medicine priority and it's suddenly really jarring to get an appointment set for "an hour later today" instead of "two weeks from now on a holiday."

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Flight med docs work crazy hours but most seem to actually like the job.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

What do you call a doctor who finishes last in his/her medical school class?

Captain.

Flight med is no more competent than anyone else. Or motivated. We had a flight doc who brought enough reading material to ride along and "earn" an air medal.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NqZ9XvzFiqw

What level of hell is this?

Imagine making conversion in a Humvee for 12 hours with a 19 year old who's pregnant wife decorates their base housing with vinyl "Live Laugh Love" stickers.

Interspersed with an empty PUBG-server live action role play.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
Knew a guy that did this, was totally trapped in a world built by infowars and had a collection of knives at all times. He stopped showing up to drill about 2 years ago but they wont kick him out while he holds a master slot hostage.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I was stationed at FE Warren, but was working across the highway at the 153rd Air Guard base.

Knew a couple guys who were guards, and a couple launch officers. Its hilarious the difference, the launch officers are generally thoughtful but 'obey all orders' sort of guys (obviously, since they turn the keys), but the guards were all the standard 'Drink Monster and dream about shooting a home invader' types.

And yes, most of the married security forces enlisted guys had the standard wives 'Live, Laugh, Love' attitudes, as well as all being slightly racist. If I recall, one of their wives got caught for bringing pot on base and it set off a whole cascade of guys in the dorm being outed as doing pot, and they did a whole base pee test.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

USAF Security Forces: "We're basically infantry, really!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Arc Light posted:

USAF Security Forces: "We're basically infantry, really!"

At least the Combat Comm guys have to act the part, but Security Forces largely just want to be in an episode of Cops.

We had the 5th Combat Comm Group at Warren, and those guys did field exercises that basically reflected the Army stuff.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
It's been years since I did Security Forces ground combat school but, from what I remember they take Army and USMC Infantry field manuals and Mish mash them seemingly at random. They are really bad at it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The security forces desperately trying to become infantry is perhaps the biggest argument for why the air force doesn't need to be its own branch

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

Can anyone tell me about the Nevada Test and Training Range and/or Nellis?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:nsa:

What do you want to know? A few of us are here.

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

Godholio posted:

:nsa:

What do you want to know? A few of us are here.

Well I was at Nellis 20 years ago and am headed back that way in a few months. Comm troop here. Anything about the area, mission, places to live (apartment probably) or anything you'd like to share would be appreciated. I have PMs too if you wanna go that route.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I know nothing about the apartments here besides the usual "not outside the gate!" advice. I've been renting a house because I needed a garage...getting ready to buy though. The nicer parts of town are basically on the west side, from Summerlin north, and north of Craig (the further from Craig, the nicer it gets, basically). Prices follow suit. The area along Craig isn't too bad (once you get away from the gate)...I live a block off it right now, and aside from Amazon packages disappearing it's been fine. Rent/sale prices are definitely better. The best priced gas station is the Pilot at Craig & 15. Cars and Coffee just started back up, they meet at the Shelby dealer/museum/whatever downtown, but I haven't been yet. The Runner's World track on base (not sure if it was here 20 years ago) is currently being torn up for a new building.

Sounds like you're probably gonna be part of the 99 ABW...so yeah range radios and whatever else you guys deal with. Probably a bit of overlap with the 57 WG dudes, since I guess the Weapons School owns a bunch of transmitters too. The range is CONSTANTLY booked; no idea how that impacts you guys. Between Flag exercises and WS events, it's all day almost every day, and sometimes nights.

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

Thanks! Will check out rentals too. See ya in a few months!

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Cenen posted:

Flight med docs work crazy hours but most seem to actually like the job.

Godholio posted:

What do you call a doctor who finishes last in his/her medical school class?

Captain.

Flight med is no more competent than anyone else. Or motivated. We had a flight doc who brought enough reading material to ride along and "earn" an air medal.

There are two main categories of flight docs*

1. Captains who finished med school and either didn't match into the residency they wanted or the Air Force doesn't offer it so they're just doing their payback tour after internship. Some may be smart and good future doctors, others couldn't hack it for the competitive specialty they wanted. Either way, they are not fully trained and if they have half a brain, they refer anything significant. Basically, a single 3-4 year tour of filling out paperwork, practicing no real medicine, but maybe getting to see some cool operational stuff before getting on with a real career. Being a SME isn't a terrible way to pay back your commitment.

2. Career flight docs. These guys started in #1, but instead of diving back in to become real doctors, they doubled down on AF kool-aid because they are either complete tools or couldn't hack it as real doctors due to laziness or whatever. Often they never do a real clinical residency. They do the "Residency in Aerospace Medicine" which they think is like being a Patch in a flying squadron, when all they really did was hone bureaucratic skills to move up the chain of command. They never learn clinical medicine. The only thing they are good at is knowing the ins and outs of paperwork, AFIs, etc.

So apply that to your flying squadron. Do you respect and trust the guy who knows every word of every AFI but can barely read the instruments on a Cessna 172?

I know one exception to all this. A guy I did my first residency with was smart as hell, and though he enjoyed flight med, he spent a huge chunk of his spare time moonlighting in local hospitals to stay sharp. Last I checked, he's the SGH at a base in the midwest.

Flight med, as an institution, survives because they have the ears of the pilots. It is a self-licking ice cream cone that exists to justify its own existence. It is low-level occupational medicine at best, useless administrators at worst. Its functions could easily be dissipated to real doctors, but that would break a system to which every general officer in the medical corps sold his soul.

If this sounds like sour grapes, just know that I did flight med on the side for awhile, having already finished a clinical residency, and balked at a career when I realized that I would basically have to forsake real medicine to pursue it.

*not including docs from other specialties that knocked out the 6-week AMP course for free stick time but don't actually practice flight med. Just having the wings can open some doors in the AF, as silly as that is.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'm not saying there are no competent doctors in the Air Force; the sheer numbers suggest that there have to be. I'm just saying that I've never met one, and when I was a kid in the 80s/90s even dependents saw mildocs.

Whether through personal laziness or a broken system (which doesn't at all surprise me), it doesn't really matter to the dude on the table pointing at 10 on the pain chart while the chief of flight med, a Lt Col, shrugs. Or when you get your records after separation and some things don't add up.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

My first experience with military medicine was when I broke a finger. The Keesler hospital medical staff were undermanned, so after my x-ray, the nurse(?) gave me some supplies and told me to splint it myself, then come back next week.

By that point the bone needed to be re-broken, with pins inserted.

gently caress you, Keesler.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Air Force medicine varies wildly. I’ll never forget wrapping up our phase II OJT at Travis and the wide variety of patients we’d seen and the the large number we got to work on compared to the people who got Kessler and how they bragged about their first code blue their second to last week there. We’d had something like 14.

Even worse was someone from my phase I during their phase II either killed a dude or severely brain damaged him at BAMC or SAMC or whatever so the Army said Air Force couldn’t touch patients....during what was literally called “Hands on Training”. That was a poo poo rear end generation of fucks I wouldn’t let near my worst enemy.

Also non zero chance a literal illiterate will work on you.

Cenen fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 16, 2019

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

Arc Light posted:

My first experience with military medicine was when I broke a finger. The Keesler hospital medical staff were undermanned, so after my x-ray, the nurse(?) gave me some supplies and told me to splint it myself, then come back next week.

By that point the bone needed to be re-broken, with pins inserted.

gently caress you, Keesler.

poo poo, that's gotta be at least a 30% disability rating, maybe even more.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Military medicine in general needs to be burned down and rebuilt.

The probability that the DHA takeover does this is non-zero, but extremely small.

Aside from OCONUS, bases should have primary care. Maybe mental health, sports med, physical therapy, and other low-level, high-volume basics. Only some of the primary care needs to be staffed by active duty physicians. Everything else can be G.S. or contractors. Everything beyond this can be referred to the civilian medical system.

Away from MTFs (far, far away), trauma teams should be put in high-volume Level 1 trauma centers. So surgeons, anesthesiologists, O.R. nurses, and Emergency Dept staff. If you want your medical techs, IDMTs, etc. to be sharp, it wouldn't hurt to put them in with paramedics and EMTs that work there. All this can be done with Active Duty that are paid for by the DOD and are extra bodies for the facility, or we can do like many allies and just use a reserve system almost entirely.

There is really no reason for all these low-volume MTFs where skills go to die.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
A lot of places are working with local level 1 trauma centers and are setting up TDY programs for places that wouldn’t work for or won’t play ball. It was amazing for me and it definitely sharpened the hell out of my skills but it’s also a mixed bag. Sometimes your preceptor can be a legit nutcase and I’ve seen people go straight up AWOL during the program because the civilians preceptors don’t care if the people show up or not. We even managed to have a guy get sent back because despite not even being able to do the job at even a basic level he poo poo talked the civilian cadre and he learned real quick apparently being a dead weight E6 cross trainee isn’t that impressive in the civilian world.

This isn’t the idiots thread but this guy was in the Air Force and if it wasn’t for the fact he is retiring soon and that after many many many many many many complaints he got taken off of patient care and got made ~NCOIC~ of sitting in a back office to babysit a computer program he would have provided your medical care.

This fucker cross trained because the job “sounded easy” like we run life support machines what the gently caress. He regularly gave the wrong people the wrong medicine. He would lie about his skill level. He couldn’t perform the most basic functions of the job. He used to try and bully people but like even the airman could figure out they were better at the job then he was and it would just get cringy. We had a patient who was dying and he needed to get checked off on stuff so I made him get the tools, lay them out, and explain the procedure to me, everything checks out and I step back to let him do the procedure. He ends up grabbing a first day student and pushes them to the head of the bed right as the Dr is intubating. The student has no idea what to do and starts freaking out and the Dr is a newbie Dr and they start panicking while shitbag slinks away. Somone came up to do a shift change with him once in the ICU and according to her he was standing in front of a ventilator just hitting random buttons (while it’s hooked up to a person) and then just deadpan asks her “does this look right?”.

Don’t get sick in the military yo.

Cenen fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 18, 2019

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

So, is there any way to request an off-base referral even for medical functions that the base can provide?

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Back in the day retirees could raise a slight stink and get seen off base but when the sequester hit that turned into a massive poo poo show. poo poo flowing down hill as it does meant that the airmen had to call and tell these people who hadn’ been seen on base in years the the jig was up and they had to be seen on base and provide all of their available insurance info. Most were obviously not thrilled with this but went along with it until poo poo hit the fan day. First thing in the morning our flight chief comes out that we aren’t hitting some percent of insurance claims and that from now on he won’t accept anything less than 100%. So we crack down and make sure EVRYONE fills out the form and it’s actually going pretty smooth for most of the day. Towards the end of the day this younger guy comes up, did at least a 20 in the navy and had made at least E-7 but had only been retired a few years...essentially someone who should know how the game is played, not some psyched out of gourd nam vet or an ancient WWII vet. I check the guy in and explain that the insurance form needs to be filled out. He starts throwing attitude that he did it yesterday in a different clinic and to be fair I believed him but it really did take 1-2 days for them to process the forms and he fell through that crack by coming back so quick but I had my orders for 100% for turn in and I explained all this to him. Dude starts losing his poo poo about how I’M personally loving with him or something? I tell him that A1C Cenen doesn’t make the rules and that I was explicitly told that we needed 100% form turn in. Mother fucker crumples it into an ball and pegs me in the face with it. Before I could even say or do anything someone else from the clinic threw a massive bear hug around me and threw me into the back hallway. I can hear yelling at the front desk but I just get told to walk it off in the back of the clinic.

Like I feel bad for the ancient dudes who are probably losing their wherewithal but I’ll fight the poo poo out of you if you’re like a mentally sound 40yo who thinks they can just assault people because they don’t want to fill out an insurance form.

Cenen fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 18, 2019

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My supervisor didn't go to get his teeth cleaned or anything for years and just got his once a year dental check up. He used to spend all his money on computer and board games so he figured the $10 a month for Tricare Reserve Dental was just too much. Then one day he discovers this giant hole in one of his teeth that the base dentist had seemingly not noticed forming for years.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
My father had to have a hernia corrected at Bethesda Naval (before everything just became Walter Reed). They had him typed as A-. He's B+. The only reason it got noticed was my mother checked his bracelet. Thankfully they didn't need to give him any blood or platelets.

And I've still got a 4 1/2" scar on my lower abdomen from an unnecessary appendectomy performed at Portsmouth Naval Hospital because while waiting 18+ hours for a surgery that happened at 3am, they didn't do any follow-on examinations to find out it was just mesenteric adenitis, which should've been a thought when during those 18 hours my pain didn't increase and my appendix didn't burst. Granted, "every surgeon has taken out their fair share of completely healthy appendices," as I was told by my uncle, but still, my father used to say he was glad he was an officer because "military doctors use the enlisted as living cadavers to practice on."

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
I got practiced on in the charnel house that was the David Grant medical center dental section. Some LTC made this giant high pressure speech about how I didn’t NEED this tooth removed but that he couldn’t guarantee that in the future I would be in Iraq and then it would get infected and they would need to convoy me across the desert to better medical care (I’m part of a surgical team where the gently caress is this better hospital?) and that the convoy would be hit with an IED and people would die because I just won’t get this tooth that isn’t bothering me and there is nothing wrong with it right then and there.

Turns out he isn’t doing the extraction though some shaky handed captain who has never pulled the tooth is going to do it. I wasn’t a dentist but even I could tell something was wrong with how long he was in my mouth and the weird pressure and scraping I could feel. Finally his preceptor walks into the room and freaks the fuuuck out “OMG YOU HAVENT PULLED THE TOOTH YET THE ANALGESIC IS ABOUT TO WEAR OFF!” pushes him off me and has the tooth out in like 5 seconds. The guy managed to actually gently caress up another tooth that I had to have removed and they hosed up the tooth next to that while taking that one out.

That poo poo hole hosed up so many aspects of dental care I can’t or won’t even describe them all it loving upsets me. Every time I got quick, kind, quality dental care at Nellis it would blow my mind even years later that I wasn’t treated like dog poo poo for the privilege of someone loving my teeth up.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

People keep telling me to get Lasik or PRK but lol if I'm gonna let some moron who can't even navigate Outlook burn parts of my eyes. Working medical admin and seeing all the hosed up poo poo in the MDG keeps me the hell out of any military ER/Family Practice clinic. It's probably been over a decade since I've been seen for something more serious than getting my teeth cleaned.

Edit: Also hoping the DHA transition is the apocalypse the AFMS community is making it out to be. Way to many people have been cruising for years and it will be nice to finally have some outside accountability.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 18, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The DoD naturally makes getting off-base LASIK as painful as possible. I looked into it once and the number of pre-pre-pre checkups and travel I would have to do made it not worth the effort.

I’ve heard of people just taking a week of leave and doing it on the sly. It’s not like the military keeps meaningful track of your vision quality if you’re not a pilot.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Arc Light posted:

So, is there any way to request an off-base referral even for medical functions that the base can provide?

I think there's a way you can, but I'd have to dig through the references. You could always do like my wife did and talk to the patient advocate if your PCM is a poo poo bird. They'll probably try to have you switch docs first before having to eat the cost of a referral.

It also depends on the location and how big the local network is.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011

BadOptics posted:

People keep telling me to get Lasik or PRK but lol if I'm gonna let some moron who can't even navigate Outlook burn parts of my eyes. Working medical admin and seeing all the hosed up poo poo in the MDG keeps me the hell out of any military ER/Family Practice clinic. It's probably been over a decade since I've been seen for something more serious than getting my teeth cleaned.

Edit: Also hoping the DHA transition is the apocalypse the AFMS community is making it out to be. Way to many people have been cruising for years and it will be nice to finally have some outside accountability.

LASIK seems like something the military is half decent at. The worst case scenarios I’ve heard have been on the tame end of civilian LASIK awhile the success stories are amazing.

I actually got mine done at the new and specially built LASIK building at Lackland and it was done by a Dr who actually explained the entire procedure well and why should would be making the adjustsments she was making specifically for my case. One of the best doctors I’ve seen military or civilian. The procedure was super quick and I had perfect vision immediately with none of the side effects.

Recovery was nuuuuts they give you a MASSIVE bottle of OxyContin, like seriously bad to have been like at least triple the max dose in that bottle and a week off in the custy Lackland inns so I would be taking way more than the recommended does and spent the week high as gently caress. On the last day I woke up from my fugue state and it turns out all I ate that week was cartons and cartons of iced coffee and tons of munchos chips and tins on tins of bean dip. I remember very little of that week but going through my phone I sent some crazy rear end texts to a ton of people.

I still had a poo poo load of oxy and for like years after I used to hand them out at parties.

Cenen fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 18, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

BadOptics posted:

People keep telling me to get Lasik or PRK but lol if I'm gonna let some moron who can't even navigate Outlook burn parts of my eyes.

That's a pretty good username/post combo right there.

And USAF/USN LASIK/PRK is probably one of the better options. Those dudes do nothing else.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

I’ve known a few good AF doc’s but this made me laugh uncontrollably

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I’ve known a few good AF doc’s but this made me laugh uncontrollably

Truth.

Turns out I'm allergic to Vicodin. Which is to say, it makes me puke, but it still works.

I found this out when the AF gave me a prescription following an injury, and it resulted in a several hours of vomiting nonstop while in a Vicodin haze. I knew I was throwing up, but I just didn't care. I was in a training class at the time. I sat in the back of the classroom barfing into a garbage can until the instructor made me leave.

Then I walked outside, lay down in the grass, and puked until passerby got concerned enough to drag me to medical.

It was great.

Probably my favorite single day in the Air Force, looking back on it.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I feel lucky I had next to no interaction with the medical group. These stories are horrific. Come to think of it my roommate who's also former air force had his own issues. The short of it is they thought he had cancer so he's worried he's getting kicked out and will possibly die soon. Then they do a spinal tap or two, find out there's nothing wrong with him and send him on his way.

The only time I got medical attention I was off base and it was more of a lesson of why you should tell someone where you go hiking or bring a locator beacon in the event you can't hobble back to your truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
My brother went to get a tooth pulled on base once, when they were finished he looked in the mirror and realized they yanked the one behind the tooth he went in for.

Why does it feel like every military doctor is hiding from a malpractice suit?