Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Isn’t the E-3 already a bit under powered as it is? I know JSTARS was woefully underpowered, and I thought I had read somewhere on the Internet that the E-3 was too. My E-3 knowledge is sparse to be honest. I sat in on some Mission Employment debriefings and Red Flag debriefings that convinced me I wanted nothing to do with the E-3. Seems like the poor loving ABM’s just get completely poo poo on by the pointy nose plane drivers anytime anything wasn’t exactly perfect. And you guys really seemed to love eating your own. Could be wrong but that was my perception at the time.

A bit, yeah. It's a fair amount of weight for those basic bitch 1950s airliner engines. Same story for JSTARS.

Careerist ABMs definitely love to eat their own. The utter lack of senior leadership willing to try to have their people's backs might start to fade in the next few years though...there are some very good people at the O-5 level now, and the C2 weapons officer community is shockingly humble/approachable compared to a decade ago. If they don't all jump to the Guard, they'll make a big impact. AWACS used to be one of the 1-star wings, which even though most commanders weren't ABMs (it was a stop for fast-burners in any rated community) most of them got it, and they had enough rank to push back against some of the bullshit rolling downhill. Lori Robinson was the last 1-star ACW commander, and the last commander to have any balls at all. Every colonel since has just rolled over and showed their tummy no matter what the request was.

As far as debriefs...yeah, if you can't back up your actions it's blood in the water for the douchebags. I've sat through those (as the recipient and a bystander), and I've thrown my own spears back to shut them up. The first time you can answer their spear with "at time xx:xx:xx I gave you a threat call that you copied, and five seconds later I directively targeted you there which you ignored" they sit the gently caress down.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I'm getting "highly encouraged" to buy mess dress because it's a dumb unwritten rule for SNCOs.

After hearing it from two flight chiefs and my superintendent, I've gradually moved away from the polite excuse that it's crazy expensive, and switched to the more truthful explanation that I won't spend hundreds of dollars on a hideously ugly tuxedo as a show of performative loyalty.

Maybe they'll stop highly encouraging me to go to formal events.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
I've seen plenty of SNCOs get away with service dress. Especially MSgt. If you want more ideas on push-back, tell them you'll get one when the Air Force come up with a mess dress that doesn't make you look like a loving waiter.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

One year I was getting my free poo poo meal at Applebees for Veteran's Day, and some tool walked in wearing mess dress.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Arc Light posted:

I'm getting "highly encouraged" to buy mess dress because it's a dumb unwritten rule for SNCOs.

After hearing it from two flight chiefs and my superintendent, I've gradually moved away from the polite excuse that it's crazy expensive, and switched to the more truthful explanation that I won't spend hundreds of dollars on a hideously ugly tuxedo as a show of performative loyalty.

Maybe they'll stop highly encouraging me to go to formal events.

I picked up my Mess Dress coat at the Airmans Attic at Scott. Luckiest find of my life.

Hopefully ill find a generous LT who wishes to donate those fuckin shoulder boards

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Buy that poo poo in like...April. And get O-3 boards whenever you see them...there are more captains than O-1s or 2s, and more of them "have" to go to those events. But of course they're never stocked properly.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011

Knives Amilli posted:

I picked up my Mess Dress coat at the Airmans Attic at Scott. Luckiest find of my life.

Hopefully ill find a generous LT who wishes to donate those fuckin shoulder boards

Nellis Airman’s attic was a ton of company grade mess dress poo poo which was weird because our ALS dress code for guests wouldn’t let rescue squadron guys wear their shined leather boots to the dumb graduation ceremony. Most of the enlisted stuff was chief garbage no one could possibly need. I think I pulled something weird like one dress sock and one pin on rank because my roommate stole from me and they let me off for free with a weird look.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Guys. I suspect a SrA boom got busted trolling for hookers or something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/79th_Air_Refueling_Squadron

Last updated two months ago, so mad kudos for staying under the radar this long.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Guys. I suspect a SrA boom got busted trolling for hookers or something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/79th_Air_Refueling_Squadron

Last updated two months ago, so mad kudos for staying under the radar this long.

Nice dab, Airman. Get back to work.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That airman is the guy listed in multiple places on that page as being the commander. And hunting for "Asian ladies." And in the motto, etc.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The reserve wing was always full of a bunch of windowlickers. My favorite was the team that wasnt even 1C3s if I recall that would call us, get the alert info for the 349th crews, then call the pilots. Except half the time they didnt show up so we passed the alert anyway

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

Our reserve guy tried to use "learned to play the saxophone" as one of his bullets.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BULLETKISS posted:

Our reserve guy tried to use "learned to play the saxophone" as one of his bullets.

See, if I'd been in charge I would've made him prove this.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

See, if I'd been in charge I would've made him prove this.

"Play Careless Whisper."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I got bored and went hunting for the 90th MW's Silos, they are surprisingly easy to spot. Even found a couple of the Launch Control Centers.

Seems so weird to have been stationed there.

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

Our morale problems are fixed you guys!

New PT Shirt

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

BULLETKISS posted:

Our morale problems are fixed you guys!

New PT Shirt

It doesn't look great, but people who've seen the whole ensemble claim it's actually made of moisture wicking material, so it might not suck as badly as the current PT gear.

Fingers crossed.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Why wouldn't you go back to the traditional arched letters? USAF: Reinventing our traditions every 8 years.

------------------------

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

:chanpop:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Well, it can’t be worse than the stench-trapping PT shirt we have currently.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Prop Wash posted:

Well, it can’t be worse than the stench-trapping PT shirt we have currently.

God those shirts hold sweat like a plastic bag.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It's like wearing a clammy towel.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
You're all just mad we don't still have the all-cotton nipple destroyers from the mid-2000s.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Godholio posted:

Careerist ABMs definitely love to eat their own. The utter lack of senior leadership willing to try to have their people's backs might start to fade in the next few years though...

But not today!

So back in 2010, the ABM career field was considered critically undermanned...that had been the case for the better part of a decade or more. It was the case in 2004 when I got in, and had been for a while already. I don't know what the manning % has to be for AFPC to call it that, but whatever. One day they changed the math. ABMs were instantly overmanned and Force Shaping eligible. IIRC we jumped up to something like 118%. No change in ops tempo or anything, no increase in pipeline production (it was actually still ramping back up after being cut roughly in half around '08). Whatever, suddenly our empty halls were allegedly overflowing with qualified crewmembers. So we got hammered and lost several dozen people voluntarily and non-voluntarily over the next two years. The following year, there was a retention bonus because holy gently caress there weren't enough people to meet the existing requirements.
Weird.
Ops tempo continued to creep upward. Where previously, you had to be a senior captain or major with a couple thousand hours to upgrade into a supervisory role, those slots are now being filled by lieutenants with 500-1000 hrs. Proficiency is at an all-time low. Everyone is deployed or upgrading for their next deployment. The bonus is growing, while manning is dropping. Apparently it's in the mid 80s% range.
Roughly 1/3 worse than when I got out.
The wing commander has recently proclaimed that there's no retention problem, it's a production problem. :psyduck:

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Godholio posted:

But not today!

So back in 2010, the ABM career field was considered critically undermanned...that had been the case for the better part of a decade or more. It was the case in 2004 when I got in, and had been for a while already. I don't know what the manning % has to be for AFPC to call it that, but whatever. One day they changed the math. ABMs were instantly overmanned and Force Shaping eligible. IIRC we jumped up to something like 118%. No change in ops tempo or anything, no increase in pipeline production (it was actually still ramping back up after being cut roughly in half around '08). Whatever, suddenly our empty halls were allegedly overflowing with qualified crewmembers. So we got hammered and lost several dozen people voluntarily and non-voluntarily over the next two years. The following year, there was a retention bonus because holy gently caress there weren't enough people to meet the existing requirements.
Weird.
Ops tempo continued to creep upward. Where previously, you had to be a senior captain or major with a couple thousand hours to upgrade into a supervisory role, those slots are now being filled by lieutenants with 500-1000 hrs. Proficiency is at an all-time low. Everyone is deployed or upgrading for their next deployment. The bonus is growing, while manning is dropping. Apparently it's in the mid 80s% range.
Roughly 1/3 worse than when I got out.
The wing commander has recently proclaimed that there's no retention problem, it's a production problem. :psyduck:
AFPC likes to do their roadshow and lie to all of us to our face about the ABM numbers, while also telling us they will all to deny 100% of Palace Chase applications because reasons. I heard the bonus take rate was somewhere in the 40s and alarmed some people.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wing king also apparently said the bonus take rate was like 65% or something, which A-I do not believe and B-leads me to the best part of the story.

When asked how many instructors and evaluators took the bonus, he said it was irrelevant.

This was a guy that had a reputation as a smart person and decent leader a few years back. I never happened to cross paths directly, but I saw him around as a fresh O-5 back in the day. I dunno what the gently caress happened.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
1C3 was similar when I was still in lol. Constantly critically undermanned, an inescapable black hole of a career field, but somehow every duty station I was aware of was fully manned. Of course, realistically speaking, we could have used like 4 more guys to handle all the office paperwork.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Godholio posted:

Wing king also apparently said the bonus take rate was like 65% or something, which A-I do not believe and B-leads me to the best part of the story.

When asked how many instructors and evaluators took the bonus, he said it was irrelevant.

This was a guy that had a reputation as a smart person and decent leader a few years back. I never happened to cross paths directly, but I saw him around as a fresh O-5 back in the day. I dunno what the gently caress happened.

Got a briefing today that put it at 61% take rate. Of course they were mostly targeting old Majors that were 3-4 years from retirement anyway. Most of my friends at the FTU are getting out.

Laughably, they have the enlisted 1A3s at something like 91% manned so no bonuses for them.

AFStealth fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 4, 2019

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

SSgt EPRs were due Monday (even though they don't close out until 31 Jan wtf).

So, being a generous soul, I told my TSgts I needed them by Sunday, so I could edit them and send them up the chain.

My newest (brand new) tech instead waited until Monday to write her 3 EPRs, from staffs who only gave her 4 bullets each, which meant I spent 14 hours at work sitting around waiting for products.

On the one hand, everyone needs to learn to manage deadlines somehow.

On the other hand oh my god.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

AFStealth posted:

Got a briefing today that put it at 61% take rate. Of course they were mostly targeting old Majors that were 3-4 years from retirement anyway. Most of my friends at the FTU are getting out.

Laughably, they have the enlisted 1A3s at something like 91% manned so no bonuses for them.

Meanwhile they're so short on ASOs that they're putting SSTs through ASO upgrade. :stare: (which IMO is not a bad idea anyway) Naturally Tinker refuses to let them fly as ASOs without an officer ASO aboard as well. I swear, these idiots can't stop shoving their dicks in the blender.

I couldn't understand why I was asked if I'd go back if the AF made an offer (because they might be that desperate soon). But it's definitely making more sense.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title

Arc Light posted:

SSgt EPRs were due Monday (even though they don't close out until 31 Jan wtf).

So, being a generous soul, I told my TSgts I needed them by Sunday, so I could edit them and send them up the chain.

My newest (brand new) tech instead waited until Monday to write her 3 EPRs, from staffs who only gave her 4 bullets each, which meant I spent 14 hours at work sitting around waiting for products.

On the one hand, everyone needs to learn to manage deadlines somehow.

On the other hand oh my god.

Oh hell no. One of my Techs told me on Monday that the SSgt he supervises hadn’t given him her draft EPR yet (even though it was due to me on Monday) and I was like - “bruh, that’s your problem, not my problem, I’ll give you until tomorrow to figure it out” Set those deadlines out a little further (I know it sucks but that’s the reality) because we know that inevitably someone will wait until the last moment to slap something together and the knock on effects just means more stress and rear end pain later on as everyone races against the clock to funnel up a product to leadership.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Jesus man, I hate writing EPRs. Make sure that she has their next year's evals on your desk next month so you have enough time.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

Arc Light posted:

So basically she put in the minimum effort possible at the last minute, and you were the one who had to wait around?

Sounds like a pretty solid strategy to me on her part.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Rekinom posted:

So basically she put in the minimum effort possible at the last minute, and you were the one who had to wait around?

Sounds like a pretty solid strategy to me on her part.

Yeah, I learned a lesson, too.

At least in my case, I was sitting around watching YouTube while my NCO was frantically googling synonyms for "directed"

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Guess I'll be active duty again in 2020. What up thread?

Orders to Scott AFB.

Been in 15 years so I'm pretty happy I didn't get a shithole.

Although my last two assignments were Midwest... Grissom & Wright-Patterson

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

djfooboo posted:

Guess I'll be active duty again in 2020. What up thread?

Orders to Scott AFB.

Been in 15 years so I'm pretty happy I didn't get a shithole.

Although my last two assignments were Midwest... Grissom & Wright-Patterson

Scott isn’t terrible. Are you going to be part of the wing, TACC, AMC, SDDC, USTRANSCOM, or DISA?

St Louis is a quick metro train ride from base away, and the commands at Scott are pretty great to work at. Even the TACC has some positives.

It gets hot as hell in the summer and cold as hell in the winter.

What things do you enjoy or like and I can maybe give you a heads up about the area more tailored to you?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Scott isn’t terrible.

I'll be working at the clinic. I am from Indianapolis so the weather is pretty much the same, although it looks like St Louis has a bit more sunshine days.

My wife and I are foodies, analog gamers, and architecture nerds. All are well-represented from cursory Google searching.

I was pretty stoked about the train until I realized I would be limited to biking or walking on base once there. Also I already own three cars so I should use them.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The whole time my wife was in the hospital getting a transplant and dying from sepsis over Thanksgiving (she’s okay now) my command was sending me messages saying “hey can you sign this OPR. Btw hope your wife is ok but we need this today”

Christ I can’t wait to get out

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

djfooboo posted:

I'll be working at the clinic. I am from Indianapolis so the weather is pretty much the same, although it looks like St Louis has a bit more sunshine days.

My wife and I are foodies, analog gamers, and architecture nerds. All are well-represented from cursory Google searching.

I was pretty stoked about the train until I realized I would be limited to biking or walking on base once there. Also I already own three cars so I should use them.

The same busses that run around metro St Louis run a strictly on base route as well from the metro train stop to all the major stops on base.

If your gonna be working in “the clinic” for the 375th med group you might be working out in the civilian setting, but I’m not sure what the setup is now that they’ve torn down St Elizabeth’s.

Any way you cut it the public transport is strong in the area, and very useful.

Tons of good food in the area, I don’t know poo poo about architecture, but I know there’s lots of old poo poo in the area.

Are you a reservist or guardsman or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

djfooboo posted:

Soulard, Central West End and The Loop all have good food, the latter two areas are along the metro train route. The houses along Lindell north of Forest Park are all gorgeous guided age architecture, along with the art museum, which I note is free along with the zoo.