Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

If you're coming to Scott and have a taste for dive bars, I'm just going to recommend a little house called "Wings of Shiloh". It's like 5 minutes from the base and has decent wings for cheap but it is a dive of a place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Glad to hear the public trans is good, Indy is poo poo-tier.

I like dives, especially dives with food.

My wife is drawn to the area around the botanical gardens as far as where to live. I am looking more towards Signal Hill for less commute. We don't like cookie cutter, so if there are any cool neighborhoods, throw them out.

As far as my status, I did 6 years AD as Ground Trans then 5 years as a reservist, degreed myself with that sweet post-9-11 GI Bill, Nurse Corps USAFR in 2017 and am now returning to AD. Been a bit of a ride.

I have no idea what "clinic" means as I haven't even gotten to talk to anyone yet, I just know I am not a flyer, so clinic seems likely.

Fallom: I'm very sorry to hear about that experience. I currently work civilian in critical care and sepsis aint no loving joke. I hope the transplant goes well henceforth.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Was just there over Thanksgiving break to visit the father in law. Didn't even go to the base, but the surrounding area seems nice enough. Very suburban with a big city occasionally leaking crime. Reminded me of growing up in Tulsa.

If I wasn't going to retire in Korea and stay there, there's be worse places to wind up.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

Fallom posted:

The whole time my wife was in the hospital getting a transplant and dying from sepsis over Thanksgiving (she’s okay now) my command was sending me messages saying “hey can you sign this OPR. Btw hope your wife is ok but we need this today”

Christ I can’t wait to get out

Jeez. Good luck, man.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dammit_Carl! posted:

Jeez. Good luck, man.

We're doing okay. Got a nice comment for those guys the next time the climate survey comes around, I guess.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

djfooboo posted:

Guess I'll be active duty again in 2020. What up thread?

Orders to Scott AFB.

Been in 15 years so I'm pretty happy I didn't get a shithole.

Although my last two assignments were Midwest... Grissom & Wright-Patterson

I went there for my TACC class and liked what I saw of St. Louis. The area around Scott is freakishly flat but I'm a mountain boy so whatever. I was only there for like 4 or 5 days though. The train goes straight from the airport to the base which again as a mountain boy impressed me but maybe that's normal in places that have public transit besides hitchhiking and senior only buses

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

if I'm stationed CONUS and go to Key West on leave is that an OCONUS leave req (since it's an island) or CONUS (since it's connected by bridge to the rest of FL)

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
It’s considered CONUS.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

noice thanks m8

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
There's also a naval base there that might have lodging space available.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Ceiling fan posted:

There's also a naval base there that might have lodging space available.

That naval station is south of “the most southern point in USA”. Herp derp.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

djfooboo posted:

That naval station is south of “the most southern point in USA”. Herp derp.

gently caress it is we have military bases on us soil further south. It's just the navy trying to rub one out as usual.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
If you're going to Key West on vacation I'd recommend not staying in Navy lodging unless you're really on a tight budget. If you are, try to book a room in the Truman Annex on the western side of the island, they're decent rooms and it's like a 15 minute stumble to Duval street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
New year, new thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3909049