Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Amppelix posted:

i have yet to check out any story recaps from UX or watched back cover and i'm pretty sure i never will. there is literally nothing they can do to make me care about it

It’s literally the basis for the entire second arc of the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Amppelix posted:

i have yet to check out any story recaps from UX or watched back cover and i'm pretty sure i never will. there is literally nothing they can do to make me care about it

Its got a kid with a hat I like.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
A whole lot of gambling apologists in this thread

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Gologle posted:

A whole lot of gambling apologists in this thread

kingdom hearts really wants you gambling money and will put plot stuff in their slot machine to get it

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tbf the only plot important mobile game stuff so far was in a cutscene compilation. And from my understanding most of that was original stuff not even from the games.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Tbf the only plot important mobile game stuff so far was in a cutscene compilation. And from my understanding most of that was original stuff not even from the games.

Back Cover was actually a prequel that took place before and during the mobile game and UX itself is now basically just a cutscene viewer with most of the gameplay stripped out

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

All the important plot points we'll need to know going into KH4 like what's up with the Master of Masters, what's up with Lea and Isa's friend, what's up with Luxord, why is Gaston only in the mobile game, what's up with Demyx, and why Donald doesn't wear pants will be revealed in the next gacha game and no, there will not be a compilation movie with all the pertinent parts.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

there will not be a compilation movie with all the pertinent parts.

I dunno give it another 20 years

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

It’s like the most important thing to the entire story especially for what’s to come lol
i am aware! it's just that i'm only mildly invested in the overall KH story to begin with, so there's just no way i'm going to devote my attention to something i'll probably only kinda enjoy just to make the story of the next one a bit more interesting. They'll probably do some short recaps for story elements that are really important anyway, as has been the trend so far.

plus, i do know broad strokes of what happens in UX anyway thanks to discussion about it, wikis, etc.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Funky Valentine posted:

This is the only Kingdom Hearts plothole that needed filling tbh.

The old mega thread was called something like, “I paid $60 to find out why Mickey was shirtless”

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Finally getting into 3. Proud mode used to mean something, man. Now I’ve beaten the first ring of worlds and I haven’t died once. It feels like companions are super useless. The new command system is sort of just a boring thing that pops up rather than 2’s reaction commands. The tangled world felt really stupid and bad. And the plot is even less focused than normal. Am I supposed to know what the power of waking is?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Finally getting into 3. Proud mode used to mean something, man. Now I’ve beaten the first ring of worlds and I haven’t died once. It feels like companions are super useless. The new command system is sort of just a boring thing that pops up rather than 2’s reaction commands. The tangled world felt really stupid and bad. And the plot is even less focused than normal. Am I supposed to know what the power of waking is?

Ugh another person ranting about how Woke is ruining Disney.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think it’s elaborated on far more in Dream Drop Distance, but it gets more context when it’s relevant.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You should play on Critical Mode.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
what's in the loving box

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

what's in the loving box

Only Xigbar knows for sure (and the MoM wherever he is currently)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

MorningMoon posted:

what's in the loving box

An embarrassing picture of Luxord at the Christmas party.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

An embarrassing picture of Luxord at the Christmas party.

The time he lost a card game despite having a winning hand, that could only be beaten by a one-in-a-million draw

Against D e m y x

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Did you play Dreamu Dropu Distansu? That’s like, the crux of the plot of that game.

Proud mode wasn’t bad, Critical is where it gets really fun.

Edit: Master Xehanort’s whole deal is he wants to resurrect Kingdon Hearts by recreating the Keyblade War, which would require seven hearts of light to battle 13 hearts of darkness. Sora needs the power of waking to be able to awaken sleeping hearts. Mostly they’re looking for Ventus’s heart iirc

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 5, 2023

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

SyntheticPolygon posted:

You should play on Critical Mode.

I thought Proud would be fun and hard enough for a first try :negative:

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Did you play Dreamu Dropu Distansu? That’s like, the crux of the plot of that game.

Proud mode wasn’t bad, Critical is where it gets really fun.

Edit: Master Xehanort’s whole deal is he wants to resurrect Kingdon Hearts by recreating the Keyblade War, which would require seven hearts of light to battle 13 hearts of darkness. Sora needs the power of waking to be able to awaken sleeping hearts. Mostly they’re looking for Ventus’s heart iirc

I did not. It did not seem like it would run well on a 3DS. When did Kingdom Hearts die? Wasn't it just there in 2, a big moon?

socialsecurity posted:

Ugh another person ranting about how Woke is ruining Disney.

Xigbar represents the stagnant left

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah it might be pretty tough for a first playthrough but KH3 critical mode is maybe the most fun i've had in a KH game. It hits the perfect difficulty sweetspot imo.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I thought Proud would be fun and hard enough for a first try :negative:

I did not. It did not seem like it would run well on a 3DS. When did Kingdom Hearts die? Wasn't it just there in 2, a big moon?

Xigbar represents the stagnant left

The moon in KHII was an artificial Kingdom Hearts and Xehanort explains the deal with it at the end of DDD. Xemnas was gonna use it to turn all of organization XIII into Xehanort clones. Instead in KHIII he is using time travel to grab different versions of himself to be the XIII dark Keyblade wielders. The only way to summon the true Kingdom Hearts is by recreating the Keyblade war or whatever. Idk man the plot makes no sense lol

You can play a fully remastered DDD on PS4 and it runs well. I thought the way they translated the abilities that originally required the touch screen was fine but it kind of undermined the entire point of that game lol it’s still pretty fun even if the flowmotion stuff is super broken.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 6, 2023

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The moon in KHII was an artificial Kingdom Hearts and Xehanort explains the deal with it at the end of DDD. Xehanort’s Heartless was gonna use it to turn all of organization XIII into Xehanort clones. Instead in KHIII he is using time travel to grab different versions of himself to be the XIII dark Keyblade wielders. The only way to summon the true Kingdom Hearts is by recreating the Keyblade war or whatever. Idk man the plot makes no sense lol

I consider myself to be someone who knows more about the kingdom hearts plot than 90% of players, but when I read this poo poo I get so confused, even though I do remember Ansem the Wise talking about the fake moon Kingdom Hearts. Isn't Xenahort's Heartless Ansem though? Or was that Terra Xehanort?

Love these convoluted games. I hope they don't ever stop being as confusing as they are and I hope they never really explain what Kingdom Hearts actually is. The blend of simple emotions with the most complicated story of all time somehow creates something more than the sum of it's parts.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fighting Elegy posted:

I consider myself to be someone who knows more about the kingdom hearts plot than 90% of players, but when I read this poo poo I get so confused, even though I do remember Ansem the Wise talking about the fake moon Kingdom Hearts. Isn't Xenahort's Heartless Ansem though? Or was that Terra Xehanort?

Love these convoluted games. I hope they don't ever stop being as confusing as they are and I hope they never really explain what Kingdom Hearts actually is. The blend of simple emotions with the most complicated story of all time somehow creates something more than the sum of it's parts.

Also apparently there’s more than one Kingdom Hearts (in 0.2 Mickey says the door from the first game “isn’t a complete Kingdom Hearts but it’s still the heart of many worlds”)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Fighting Elegy posted:

I meant to say Xemnas, Xehanort’s Nobody, sorry too many X’s.

lol even I can’t keep this poo poo straight sometimes!!!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ansem the Wise - scientist king of Radiant Garden, had six apprentices who eventually betrayed him, implicitly has met Jeff Bridges

Terra-Xehanort - the person who dropped into Radiant Garden one day with Aqua's armor who was taken in by Ansem the Wise as an apprentice, upon which he almost immediately started doing crimes against humanity with the help of Revolver Ocelot

Xehanort's Heartless - The Heartless of the above, created when Ansem the Wise's six apprentices (and Lea and Isa apparently if you take their argument in III literally) got their hearts ripped out, drowning Radiant Garden in DARKNESS and turning them into Nobodies. Known as "Ansem, Seeker of Darkness" in KH1, is frankly called "Ansem" in-game more than "Xehanort's Heartless."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s hilarious how much Xigbar is literally the KH version of Ocelot (right down to the overly complicated plans, losing a body part, and playing every side for decades aspects)

I’ll be curious to see what he’s like in KH4 now that he’s basically getting the old band back together

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 6, 2023

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

If Xigbar is Revolver Ocelot, who's kingdom hearts Senator Armstrong?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

Lexaeus but only in terms of gameplay

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Agents are GO! posted:

Donald.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

There isn't one

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I'm sorry, the correct answer is Pete. :colbert:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm sorry, the correct answer is Pete. :colbert:

Played college bowling, y'know.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"Disney Town is diseased. Rotten to the core. There's no saving it - we need to pull it out by the roots. Wipe the slate clean. BURN IT DOWN! And from the ashes, a new Disney Town will be born. Evolved, but untamed! The weak will be purged and the strongest will thrive - free to live as they see fit, they'll make Disney Town great again!"

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

DON'T HYUCK WITH THIS SENATOR

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Gawrsh, Pete, I was wrong about you! You're not greedy........

.....YOU'RE BATSHIT INSANE, A-HYUCK

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

Gawrsh, Pete, I was wrong about you! You're not greedy........

.....YOU'RE BATSHIT INSANE, A-HYUCK

Now, Goofy, it's time to die for uncle Walt!

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

MorningMoon posted:

My legit expectation is Holidays 2023.

Since KH3 actually came out we ended Square's "luminous engine is life, who cares if it takes 5 years to release anything of note" arc and embraced Unreal Engine. Everything Nomura's been working on has been using UE since and came out in a relatively sane pace and Square's now releasing like 14 games a year, when some of them should probably take a lot longer to come out.

We are going to get loving slammed to the wall with KH4, FF16 and FF7R2 all coming out within 18 months of each other.

i'm reading the backlog and lol

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Hey so, that Roxas mod for KH2 had its first alpha release last month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BisbyWorl posted:

Hey so, that Roxas mod for KH2 had its first alpha release last month.

it's shockingly polished compared to any of the KH2 combat/character mods I've seen which are usually just really flashy nonsense. this mod is definitely flashy but there's also a lot of attention paid to making it actually fun to play. also has some neat custom enemies and imported models from Days.
biggest issue is that the external music tool that the mod uses for custom music is very jank and if you don't want to deal with it the game just won't have any music.