Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sleepaway Camp is the best horror movie I've ever seen.

As a horror movie, it's surprisingly well-made. It has excellent buildup to the infamous ending (which I finally got to see a live reaction to for the first time in my life on Discord) and the makeup and gore effects are all phenomenal even today. But what really gets me is that it's loving hilarious, almost entirely unintentionally.

First off, this is flaming gay as hell. Muscular men in cut-off shirts, mesh shirts, and Daisy Dukes flexing and stripping naked to go skinny dipping together. Pranks involving butts. An extended flashback sequence to kids catching their dad in bed with another man and giggling at him. And, you know, the ending.

It's also filled with unintentional comedy, from Mel mistaking Ricky for the killer and ignoring a drowning girl to throttle him to "ENJOY COCAINE" graffiti in the canteen to a fat kid named Mozart trying to stab the rest of his bunk for a shaving cream prank to the complete lack of care everyone seems to have for multiple campers dying in the season. Some of it is due to filmmaking or scripting gaffes that somehow make the movie even funnier (like a closeup of a cop's mustache revealing it to be the most obvious Halloween store fake). Aunt Martha manages to steal the entire movie despite only having two scenes. Literally every single character is either a sociopath, an incompetent idiot, or a pedophile; somehow this makes the movie even more entertaining because it's such a cast of over the top assholes that it become surreal.

Is it a flawless movie? Yes and no. It's absolutely filled to the brim with flaws, but those flaws all come together to create a gut-bustingly hilarious party film with shockingly gruesome deaths. I give it 5 out of 5 gratuitous penis displays (which is fewer than the movie actually has).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Who's y'all's favorite camper? Shut up it's glasses guy.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Sleepaway Camp

Ho-ly poo poo. I had never heard anything about the contents of this film. I had no idea that was how it would end. I correctly pegged that Angela was the killer but I had no inkling of an idea that twist was coming. God drat. I laughed for 20 minutes. What an insane movie. I loved everything about it for all the reason people already mentioned. I don't even know what to type right now. Just. Wow. I always knew it was a classic but had no idea why. Not even to sell the ending short but the rest of the film around it was amazing in all the wrong ways, but oh so very very right.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Irreversible occupies the same general space as something like the August Underground trilogy for me: well-crafted, but with little to recommend once you get past the shock value. Its most impressive feat is managing to attract an audience which usually strongly reviles this type of exploitation film.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

Irreversible occupies the same general space as something like the August Underground trilogy for me: well-crafted, but with little to recommend once you get past the shock value. Its most impressive feat is managing to attract an audience which usually strongly reviles this type of exploitation film.

That's interesting.

I don't find much value in August Underground. I've only seen the first one, but it is just an effective vulgar special effects showcase with a cruel agenda, and not much else. I don't get anything from it except nausea.

Irreversible exists, for me, alongside Last House on the Left, Cannibal Holocaust, and rape revenge flicks like I Spit On Your Grave and Ms. 45. It clearly has more to say outside it's notorious scene. It's intended to shock and disturb, yes, but it at least backs up that shocking image with a thoughtful meditation on the uselessness and selfishness of revenge, and how it's a destructive force, as well as commentary on time itself. There's even a subtle subplot of precognitive dreams, of being warned of oncoming danger, and yet not being able to understand or control that. Our human lives are so small and fragile, that one event outside of your control that takes place in 10 minutes can take everything away from you, and you can never have it back.

For me, there's plenty to recommend, it's just got a major caveat attached to it.

I'm surprised so many people are seeing Sleepaway Camp for the first time! Such a fun bizarre flick.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I’ve seen Sleepaway Camp before but I just rewatched it anyway. All I really remembered was the ending and Aunt Martha, so it was a nice surprise that the rest of the film is mostly very good. Judy is awful, both the character and the actress who plays her.

I love how the counselor’s first reaction to the infamous ending is oh my god, she’s a boy! and not HOLY poo poo SHE JUST SAWED THAT KID’S HEAD OFF

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Today's horror classic is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFGPKShiOX4

Henry: Portrait of a serial killer

An unflinching, grimy, sleazy look at the mind of a complete sociopath, this film chronicles the utter depravity of its titular character. Instead of being eccentric, theatrical maniacs, the killers in this film are simple blue collar men who, on the surface, are like millions of every day Americans. But beneath that banal facade lies a darkness that is both frighteningly mundane and creatively depraved. This film contains tons of incredibly disturbing content, bringing to mind the comical extremes of Bret Easton Ellis' American Psycho, but without the humorous bent to dull the edge. The British Board of Film Classification waged an all-out war on this film, mandating some footage be cut in a release as late as 2001. Despite it all, it's highly regarded among various critics and horror fans alike, as it's an intelligently made, disturbing, and emotionally engaging experience.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I've been late because of medical stuff significantly inconveniencing me, but I'm here to start effortposting my makeup sessions. Again, if I've seen the homework, I'll rewatch it and try to find something at least tangentially similar to turn around and also watch.

The Birds is such an underrated movie in my opinion. I liked it quite a bit. Hitchcock makes an uncomfortable dramatic romance movie, but one in which you're intrigued because everyone seems to be not quite what they say, with Tippi Hedren being intensely strange in her motivations as the lead, and Rod Taylor and Jessica Tandy having a strange incestuous oedipal thing going on. And then suddenly in all that, around halfway through, BOOM! an "animals run amok" film invades the plot. It still tries to stand up to stuff for a while and the drama tries to regain the main attention, but it's really not prepared for this fight. It's a really really weird movie. Like, one of the really remarkable things is how the angles are always just a tad more uncomfortable than they should be, or how people are constantly interrupting each other, much like the horror plot interrupts the romance drama. I'm not going to say it's Hitchcock's BEST film by far, but he's trying a lot of things psychologically with the film that you really have to be watching for. At least a 4 out of 5.

However, I had seen the film as a kid (and thought it was boring at the time, naturally) so I had to pick something else to watch too. I went with the other film featuring Tippi Hedren versus wild animals, 1981's Roar. In this rather simple tale, a wildlife expert and conservationist (Filmmaker Noel Marshall) is kiiiiiinda crazy, living in the middle of Africa with just tons of wild big cats. TONS of them. They don't get cages or anything, they just roam free, and he knows their behavior well enough to keep himself mostly safe. His wife and three teenaged children (Marshall's own wife and children, including Tippi Hedren and Melanie Griffith) arrive in Africa to come visit him, and some wires get crossed, leaving him out looking for him while they are stuck in his compound with about 800 wild lions and tigers and panthers. Oh my. This movie isn't really intended to be a horror, but boy is it. And that's because Marshall and company made this movie in the stupidest way possible--by getting a bunch of big cats and having them roam free on the film set/compound with the cast and crew. Yes, really. It's insane, these are very obviously NOT trained creature actors and there are MANY stories of people actually getting attacked and hurt badly by them throughout the filming. My jaw was on the floor the whole film, but especially whenever cats were attacking. There's a VERY scary scene where Griffith is pinned down by a lioness that first is gnawing on her butt, then moves up to her head, and you can hear her actually panicking for real as it happens. There's another scene where an elephant throws Hedren into a river without stuntmen. I believe in both cases the actresses were badly injured by these takes. Not only that, but in spite of the Human Society seal of approval at the beginning of the film, apparently there were a LOT of animal injuries and deaths not involved with actual filming, such as a flood of the set at one point, and very bad conditions at the zoo where the cats were housed in downtime. It's a very distressing film knowing all this, and is one of the most insane things I've ever seen. 3 out of 5, but you really need to see it to believe it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, that's the first I haven't seen before and its one that's been on and off my list for years and I always pass over for one reason or anoth, so I guess I'll join in.

1) Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986)
30th Anniversary Edition on Amazon Prime

I'm not really sure what I think of this one. Its not as shocking and depraved as I had prepared myself for. I suppose that's in part different expectations after 30+ years but also a bit of a testament to the idea that the violence isn't over the top or sensational, its just matter of the fact and real. I certainly can understand why it would have shocked and outraged people in the 80s. There's no doubt its sick, although I almost felt like I knew where we were going by the end of the film. That's a credit to the writing that it felt like the natural place and build without being an overt narrative, but it also kind of softened the blow(s) a bit.

I guess my disappointment is that Michael Rooker is great and I go in expecting this amazing performance in a character piece and he really isn't given a hell of a lot to do. I get it. He's dead inside. But it was a surprising turn of events.

Reading about the production respect to it. 28 days on a 16mm camera on a tiny budget. Its obviously very well done and has a vision that was probably very new and different for the time. This is not a movie that is my thing, that I "enjoy" watching, or that I have any desire to ever watch again. But its a well made film, for sure. And I'm glad to finally have it marked off the list.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer is an ugly movie. I don't mean that in a derogatory sense. In fact, this movie was meant to be ugly. It's the kind of ugly that exists everywhere, and has existed everywhere since the dawn of humanity.

It's the story of Henry and Otis, two psychopaths living together and killing together and how Otis's sister starts to fall in love with Henry because she's pretty hosed up herself. The film is grounded in reality to a disturbing extent, as Henry and Otis are extremely realistic depictions of a pair of seriously messed up serial killers. The film's pacing and structure are unusual, as there's no true buildup to a climax. The very first shot in the movie is a corpse, and it continues from event to murder to event to murder without really slowing down.

Everything is aided by the phenomenally creepy soundtrack and the equally phenomenal performances, including the one that put Michael Rooker on the map for life. If you can handle the disturbing reality of everything that happens, Henry is a masterpiece of grounded horror.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Well, that wasn't fun, but also not abhorrent in the way I thought it would be. The murders are gruesome and sleazy but not gratuitous in a way that indicts the filmmaker, if that makes sense. It's matter of factly and it happens to be ugly in subject matter, but nobody is supposed to be enjoying whats happening on screen. An interesting contrast to the vast majority of horror movies.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Tonight I rewatched Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer with the gang. Like the others have already said, it's an ugly, downbeat film. These are bottom tier people, living bottom tier lives, doing brutal crimes for no reason other than it's something to do. Based on the real Henry Lee Lucas and Ottis Toole, two serial killers who were either very nasty or very big liars, this is a grim film that doesn't seem to really flinch away from the killings or the dirtiness of it all. This might be, by a large margin, the least glamorous serial killer movie of them all, and really, that makes it more realistic I suppose. 5 out of 5

For a companion new-to-me watch, I watched Angst (1983), a dramatization of Austrian killer Werner Kniesik, who spent his teen years in and out of trouble, and then one day shot a woman dead at her door, only to claim insanity. This didn't really work but it reduced his sentence, and as soon as he got out, he found himself eventually going to a house and terrorizing and murdering the elderly woman, her handicapped son, and her adult daughter that lived there, before getting caught. The movie portrays this as sloppy and frantic, however the camera films everything at jaw-dropping dynamic angles and movement, while at the same time remaining completely dispassionate about everything its portraying. All the while, K's internal monologue drones on about his past and his present, almost dully. It's a very nihilistic, matter-of-fact movie, with many brutal moments. 4 out of 5

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Here is today's horror classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoPJJSXZDEM

Låt den rätte komma in/Let The Right One In

A vampire romance that the whole family cannot enjoy, this 2008 award-winning indie darling is characterized by its stark cinematography, quiet despair, and the director taking advantage of the natural bleakness of his home country's landscapes. Eli and Oskar's innocent romance contrasts beautifully with the horror and cruelty that inevitably follows in Eli's wake, as well as the bleak and quiet winter of the countryside. Though remade competently in 2010 for American theatergoers, I find this original version to have stronger performances, cinematography, and pacing.

Available for streaming on Shudder, iTunes and Hoopla

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 6, 2019

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Haven’t seen Let The Right One In either! On a roll!

I really liked Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. Definitely the best film we have watched so far, and that says a lot because Audition was also extremely good. I enjoyed how nihilistic and broken everything was. It was the perfect glimpse into the mind of a serial killer. It was pretty intense at parts, I can see why it has a reputation. There actually wasn’t a ton of gore in this one, most of the kills were quick neck snaps, or strangulations, though I suppose that does make them more intimate and disturbing. Obviously the big highlight of the film and probably why no one wants to watch it was the recorded family murder scene. It drags on and on, and feels extremely real. That scene sticks with you. This would be one of those movies I say “oh Henry that movie is phenomenal, but let’s not watch it”. 5/5.

I also watched Angst with Choco last night too which was new to me. Great movie, great cinematography, and really great directing. It looks almost totally not rehearsed at all. You really feel like you’re watching a crazy person murder a family. His crime spree is erratic and frantic, clearly nothing goes according to plan (a plan he did not even have anyway). I would recommend you check it out if extreme cinema is your thing, but if you’re just here to knock down some classics this probably won’t be the movie for you. I’m actually surprised the movie has the climactic murders dead in the middle of the film and then it just keeps going. When you’d expect it to be over you still have a half hour to go. 4/5

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I had no idea anyone else was gonna do Henry + Angst but I did exactly the same thing.

Watching Henry for the first time in a few years, this newer transfer is pretty "great". I use the quotes because in this case great means gross. The movie is just that much grimier and more disgusting than ever before. Specifically Otis, he has to be one of the most nauseating characters ever put to film.

Angst I'd never seen before, and it definitely has its moments that are just as disturbing as Henry. Erwin Leder is an animal in this film, it's actually a somewhat different type of killer than these movies typically portray but brutally realistic. The voiceover narration helps drive home the message that this man is singularly focused, which makes him scarier. Not for the faint of heart and definitely one to add to the list of movies that I'd be very very careful about recommending, it's still well made and probably deserves more recognition.

1. Night of the Demons 2. Angst

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Still slowly playing catch up, especially with my absurd, masochist self-imposed style.

Today I watched Audition as a rewatch. I absolutely adore how on point Miike is with having this film start as a genuinely entertaining romantic comedy, full of humor and likable characters. And then, much like Hitchcock does with The Birds, this very, very different film crashes in quite a ways into things and disrupts everything. The weird thing is, I can't tell if the horror stuff is supposed to be real or not. Miike himself has said it is, but, death of the author and all that. It just as much can be some sort of guilt driven nightmare. It's an odd movie that I don't think will ever be properly unlocked. 5 out of 5

It was a rewatch though, so I went with a different Takashi Miike horror about love, confusion, and storytelling, Over Your Dead Body. This movie features the dress rehearsals of a very high budget stage production of the classic Yotsuya Kwaidan, while behind the scenes the actors start magnifying the traits of their characters to strange and jaw dropping levels. This is a strange one, that's very dense and difficult, on purpose, and is very melodramatic, only to suddenly have some crazy levels of violence in the last half hour. It's interesting, but I wouldn't say it's for everyone. 3 out of 5

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is an odd movie, one that defies genres in a lot of ways. At its core, it's a romance between two really hosed up 12-year-olds. But it also incorporates horror in a weird way. The horror elements are a relatively small part of the film, but when they appear it's through incredibly graphic gore with body parts flying and faces melting.

In the end, it's a fantastic film. The one criticism I have is in the sense of overthinking it: a romance between a centuries-old vampire and an actual 12-year-old boy is weird at best, statutory rape at worst.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think that's very much part of the film. When the movie begins you see it as a story of two 12 year olds getting to know each other and being first love. As it goes on you realize that one of them is a grown, God knows how old, monster preying on a lonely child. You see the man who has been with her and he's a beaten down, depressed, trapped, monster himself. And I think there's one question that lingered with me when the film was done. "When did she meet him?" I couldn't shake the idea that she did the exact same thing to him and she was now just seducing and abusing her replacement after 40 years of abusing and preying on him.

So like, its a romance in the sense that, yes, the boy is "falling in love" for the first time. But on the flipside you have the old man falling out of love and desperate to be free and in the middle you have a true horror story of a monster. Not just because she sucks blood and murders people, but because she's a true predator in every sense of the word. She will manipulate, abuse, use up, and discard this one like she did the last.

And I think that was all deliberate so I don't see it as a criticism, I see it as subtext.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 7, 2019

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I kind of see it the opposite way and that all their life Eli has had to rely on older men who preyed on them and had to use those men to survive but finally meets a kindred spirit who cares for her and they both fall in love. So she finally meets someone who truly loves them. There's actually a sequel book to this where Eli and Oskar ( who Eli turns to a vampire) are living happily together in Barcelona and its 2008

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

STAC Goat posted:

I think that's very much part of the film. When the movie begins you see it as a story of two 12 year olds getting to know each other and being first love. As it goes on you realize that one of them is a grown, God knows how old, monster preying on a lonely child. You see the man who has been with her and he's a beaten down, depressed, trapped, monster himself. And I think there's one question that lingered with me when the film was done. "When did she meet him?" I couldn't shake the idea that she did the exact same thing to him and she was now just seducing and abusing her replacement after 40 years of abusing and preying on him.

So like, its a romance in the sense that, yes, the boy is "falling in love" for the first time. But on the flipside you have the old man falling out of love and desperate to be free and in the middle you have a true horror story of a monster. Not just because she sucks blood and murders people, but because she's a true predator in every sense of the word. She will manipulate, abuse, use up, and discard this one like she did the last.

And I think that was all deliberate so I don't see it as a criticism, I see it as subtext.

I would say whether or not it's a criticism depends on how the filmmakers intended it to be. The sequel novel goes one way with it, but the film has no sequel and as far as I know won't be getting one. So you have to consider whether the ending is intended to be cute or if it's intended to be horrifying.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The American remake Let Me In is also quite good but changes some things like its just as good as the original which is saying something. Its very good.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I was never that big on Let the Right One In. It's a horror movie that's much more of a childhood relationship piece, but a cold one that keeps you at a distance and as such I never felt much of a connection to the film.

Also, side note, someone's gotta get y'all new avatars this is too much.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I've seen every selection so far :smuggo:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I've seen Henry and Let The Right One In, so I skipped those.

I started watching another classic, a really old classic I've been putting off, but the streaming just wasn't working. I'll post about it when I finish it tonight or tomorrow, but I guess I'll hold off on what it is.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Let The Right One In was awesome and I enjoyed it a lot, though it’s less a horror movie and more a romance movie with horror elements (would you call Twilight a horror film?) I’m lazy and don’t want to write a whole thing right now but I recommend people watch it if they haven’t seen it. Thanks for reading my post, gosh bless ya.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Here is today's horror classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd-z5wBeFTU

Dawn of the Dead (1978)

10 years after George Romero introduced the most important monster in modern horror with Night of the Living Dead, he proved that he was still the master of the zombie genre with Dawn of the Dead. Despite a hilariously small budget, Dawn of the Dead is the zombie movie, and possibly the most ripped-off film of all time. This film is brutal, hilarious, and depressing, as well as full of social commentary that's so on the nose it makes Paul Verhoeven look subtle. With a killer score that combines tracks from Goblin and judiciously-chosen stock music, it's also an intensely atmospheric piece. This is the film that defined a genre and a career.

Available for streaming absolutely nowhere

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Dawn of the Dead is the first movie in this thread I haven’t seen, precisely because it is impossible to find streaming.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

There's weird rights issues with it, which is also why it never plays repertory screenings. Even if you blind bought a DVD though you won't regret it.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Dawn of the Dead is the first movie in this thread I haven’t seen, precisely because it is impossible to find streaming.

If someone can let me know if I can embed google drive videos inside SA posts that would be helpful too

Windows 98 fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 8, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've already seen it, so I'll be doing Zombi 2, the knockoff Italian sequel!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Here is today's horror classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd-z5wBeFTU

Dawn of the Dead (1978)

10 years after George Romero introduced the most important monster in modern horror with Night of the Living Dead, he proved that he was still the master of the zombie genre with Dawn of the Dead. Despite a hilariously small budget, Dawn of the Dead is the zombie movie, and possibly the most ripped-off film of all time. This film is brutal, hilarious, and depressing, as well as full of social commentary that's so on the nose it makes Paul Verhoeven look subtle. With a killer score that combines tracks from Goblin and judiciously-chosen stock music, it's also an intensely atmospheric piece. This is the film that defined a genre and a career.

Available for streaming absolutely nowhere

Yet I will be streaming it through rabbit tonight in the horror discord.

Where is your God now?!

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZoqZxgw7HU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

chitoryu12 posted:

I would say whether or not it's a criticism depends on how the filmmakers intended it to be. The sequel novel goes one way with it, but the film has no sequel and as far as I know won't be getting one. So you have to consider whether the ending is intended to be cute or if it's intended to be horrifying.

Fair, and I guess I'm getting a little too "Death of the Author" close in insisting my interpretation is right, and I hate that crap. Its just the way the film struck me but that certainly might be my own feelings of the entire "centuries old vampire romances a teen/child" thing.

Basebf555 posted:

I've seen every selection so far :smuggo:

Henry was the only one I haven't seen so far, which really surprised me. I guess I've got less holes in my catalogue than I realized.

Then again I only saw the Birds and Sleepaway Camp this past October and Audition the October before. So its probably a testament to how much my intention of using the October Marathon and year gimmick to fill essential holes has actually worked.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 7, 2019

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

TrixRabbi posted:

Also, as a kind of unintentional companion piece to The Stepford Wives check out Martha Rosler's short Semiotics of the Kitchen, which was made in 1975 and is a pure expression of pent up anger and rage against the dominating "women belong in the kitchen" narrative. The same year Chantal Akerman made Jeanne Dielman, 23 Commerce Quay, 1080 Bruxelles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuZympOIGC0

In my RHET 1301 class my first year of college my professor searched up "semiotics" during a lecture on youtube (not sure what he thought he'd find) and stumbled upon this. He remained pretty quiet while it played, just said "well I'm not sure what that was about" when it was finished. Later I e-mailed him a webpage that explained it some thinking he'd actually care (I was a naive freshman). He responded with multiple paragraphs on how much he hates feminists, how sanctimonious he thinks all women are, and how he thinks performance art is a detriment to society :v:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Is it called Zombie, or is it called Zombi 2? Yes!

My replacement for today's essential is an odd duck. You see, Italian copyright law in the 1970s made it legal to make a sequel to a film you didn't have the rights to. The original Dawn of the Dead was recut by Dario Argento, given a new soundtrack by Goblin, and released as Zombie in Italy. Lucio Fulci was tapped to direct the Italians' knockoff sequel. As you can see from the gruesome poster, he certainly put his all into it.

It's almost strange to see a horror film look so....clean. No filters, no unusual lighting choices, no post-production changing of the colors. From start to finish, everything looks surprisingly crisp. Fulci makes up for it with nauseating amounts of worms and tons of incredibly graphic violence. A gruesome headshot opens the film and the first zombie kill is less than 7 minutes from the start, bright red blood pulsing from an open artery before a big lumbering zombie climbs up the steps of a sailboat.

The acting is, at best, nothing to write home about. Neither is the script. The music is often intentionally dissonant synthesizer mashing, and what isn't is almost unusually tame for a horror movie. What you're here for is the gore, and the ridiculous zombie vs. shark fight scene that clearly took a ton of effort to create something utterly baffling. It's a horrible film, but it's a memorable one. One in which it peaks at the shark fight and then never really captures that expression on your face again.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

It’s also called Zombie Flesh Eaters just in case anyone was curious

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

warez posted:

In my RHET 1301 class my first year of college my professor searched up "semiotics" during a lecture on youtube (not sure what he thought he'd find) and stumbled upon this. He remained pretty quiet while it played, just said "well I'm not sure what that was about" when it was finished. Later I e-mailed him a webpage that explained it some thinking he'd actually care (I was a naive freshman). He responded with multiple paragraphs on how much he hates feminists, how sanctimonious he thinks all women are, and how he thinks performance art is a detriment to society :v:

Welp. I saw it in a museum.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
There's just no way I'm going to be able to keep up this month, but for my second film I picked the longtime thread title Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key. It's the least giallo giallo I have seen, in that it had a discernible plot that you could follow!

Failed writer and remarkably successful lover Oliviero lives with his wife Irina in a large old mansion. Oliviero's lovers begin to be killed, and as the prime suspect he begins to lose his mind.

It's a tawdry film, and on an arbitrary made up scale I'm giving it a 4 for nudity, and a 2 for violence. Too much domestic violence, not enough slasher violence. It also has the least lesbian lesbian sex scene I think I have ever seen, with two women who seem very obviously zeroes on the Kinsey scale (solidly straight) vaguely laying on top of each other for a while. Plus incest! Fun for the whole family.

I enjoyed it! I like horror movies that you can follow, and I like Poe's stories, which this heavily references/homages/rips off.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Dawn of the Dead is really good but it still suffers from a severely weak female lead and role just like Night of the Living Dead. The Remake in 1990 kind of changes thing for the better and Day is much much better. Also, the Goblin soundtrack is far superior to the US version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Dawn of the Dead is really good but it still suffers from a severely weak female lead and role just like Night of the Living Dead. The Remake in 1990 kind of changes thing for the better and Day is much much better. Also, the Goblin soundtrack is far superior to the US version.

There is literally nothing better than The Gonk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V66m52YFZBg