Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Today's horror essential is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeSAFGWzft8

The Return of the Living Dead

This is the movie where the cliche of zombies wanting brains came from. While not as influential or well known as Romero's trilogy, Return of the Living Dead is nevertheless one of the most fun and well made zombie films of all time, and the launching point of a rather successful franchise in its own right. Mixing the punk aesthetic and the true horror of disgusting zombie gore effects into a wildly entertaining package, this horror comedy might be the single most fun horror film ever made.

Available for streaming on iTunes.

Thanks for including this. It's been on netflix UK for ages but I just figured it was some Romero knockoff based on the title, so didn't bother until now.

This was a huge amount of fun with great gore effects and nasty puppets. I liked the semi-sentient zombies and the soundtrack kicked rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Saw Suspiria
One of the most striking films I've seen. The story is solid, and there's a great build up of tension throughout, but it's the use of colour and sound that makes it so memorable. The sets are beautiful, with stark reds and blues also used heavily in lighting, giving it an otherworldy and nightmarish feel. Love that score.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Friday 13th Part 5

Not a lot of imagination in the kills, the violence felt very neutered, not a lot of memorable moments or characters except for the creepy monther/son pair, who were very Texas Chainsaw, and the first kill, which came out of nowhere and resulted in about 20 people dying over a chocolate bar.
It was entertaining enough.

The only other film in this franchise I've watched is the first, so I guess I've still not seen Jason kill anyone :v: