Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Windows 98 posted:

Stepford Wives has a lot to say about society, gender roles, and the willingness of old white men to feel entitled to pampering and whatever they so desire

Windows 98 posted:

The main character Joanna is 1000% gorgeous. I think I am in love with her. She seriously is blindly beautiful. Or maybe I am just distracted by her nipples poking through her shirts in every single outfit she wears. It’s hard to tell. Anyway I found her address and I’m driving there now bye.

Heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I don't know for sure, but given that this was the original poster:

I think it's fair to say that most people had a rough idea on what to expect.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Windows 98 posted:

I firmly believe the best way to sell a slow burn horror where it “devolves” into the horror is to sell it not as a horror movie and shock the audience. If I ever made a horror movie that’s what I would do.

It's a cool idea from an artistic viewpoint, but probably a terrible one in terms of commercial success because theatre-goers absolutely hate not getting the experience they expected.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

IIRC, Hitchcock himself once said that the audience is willing to forgive your film just about anything if the ending is good, and I think The Birds proves him right.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

TrixRabbi posted:

It's operating on so many layers of story telling to probe things like jealousy and paranoia (the scene in the diner where people start blaming Tippi Hedren for the bird attacks is a real tip of the hat to the Freudian implications for why the birds are attacking in the first place) but again there's also a postmodernist break in the film.

Yeah, I think it's fair to say that people who like dissecting the social and sexual subtext in a Hitchcock film are going to have a field day with The Birds.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Irreversible occupies the same general space as something like the August Underground trilogy for me: well-crafted, but with little to recommend once you get past the shock value. Its most impressive feat is managing to attract an audience which usually strongly reviles this type of exploitation film.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Here's my Gremlins review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

Although the version I watched was 144 minutes and didn't end on a freeze frame. So I dunno. It doesnt sound like the bad one you guys are describing.

Now I'm really confused because the original version of Deep Red is 126 minutes long. There is no 144 minutes cut.