Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

Lurdiak asked other goons to pick today's flick, so here it goes:

Day 3: Audition, aka オーディション
1999 | dir. Takashi Miike | based on the novel by Ryû Murakami
Trailer | available on Shudder

now there's a movie that audiences should go into expecting a romantic comedy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I’ve seen Sleepaway Camp before but I just rewatched it anyway. All I really remembered was the ending and Aunt Martha, so it was a nice surprise that the rest of the film is mostly very good. Judy is awful, both the character and the actress who plays her.

I love how the counselor’s first reaction to the infamous ending is oh my god, she’s a boy! and not HOLY poo poo SHE JUST SAWED THAT KID’S HEAD OFF

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

STAC Goat posted:

Both films are available on Starz if you have it.

I've seen Frankenstein but I had Bride pegged for October when I finish off my years. I'm unsure about whether I want to watch films from that time period and risk making October harder, but leaning towards just gambling that I'll be able to find another 1935 movie without too much trouble. We'll see.

The Black Room is a good one from 1935 and it is streaming on Prime (for the moment at least).

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I can't connect right now from my work laptop, and I was on earlier in the day.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
The 'Burbs is the first of these films that I haven't seen before, so I watched it last night. I enjoyed it, the tone is bizarre but I expected that because

Franchescanado posted:

it's a Joe Dante movie
The scene where they find the femur and the camera quickly zooms in and out repeatedly on it (is there a term for that?) made me laugh really hard - I feel like Dante would've had their eyes pop out of their head like in a cartoon if he could've gotten away with it. :eyepop: There are a lot of over the top funny moments like that where it feels really cartoonish, in a good way.

I'd agree that it isn't quite a horror movie, but it's horror-adjacent and tonally is similar to Dante's actual horror films so that's close enough for me. It really made me want to watch Gremlins 2 again.

Also I totally thought Henry Gibson was Udo Kier for at least 5 minutes.

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 10, 2019

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like Feldman was playing like some trickster god in this movie actually. He seemed like he always knew what was gonna happen in advance and was kinda just enjoying the proceedings in that way that old gods are often portrayed. Plus he gets the fourth wall breaking moment at the end.

It's like the whole street is a goofy sitcom and he and his friends are the audience.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I loving love Candyman. I've seen it a couple times but it's been at least a few years so I think I'll try to find a copy this weekend.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Windows 98 posted:

Sure some things didn’t add up, like why bees were so nearby in a city, and why a slave was murdered 25 years after slavery was abolished, but that’s ok.

I mean it's been 150 years now and black people are still getting murdered for being black, it is very easy to see how someone who was literally a slave earlier in their life would get murdered at that time.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Lurdiak posted:

Today's horror essential is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7iL_9sbpV4

Cat People 1942

Jacques Tourneur's high-concept film is a surprisingly moody and timeless experience. Selected by the prestigious American Film Institute as one of the 400 best American films of all time. Inducted into the Library of Congress National Film Registry, this film is one of the most important and creative entries in early horror.

Available for streaming on Google Play and Youtube

This is one of my top 10 favorite horror movies. Maybe top 10 movies in general.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I really disliked the ‘82 Cat People. It’s got some nice cinematography (especially in the dream sequences) and some nice creature/gore effects, but also a lot of uncomfortable incest-themed sexuality. I don’t mind sex in movies but it felt gross and unnecessary in this one.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Choco1980 posted:

Well of course someone with your avatar would dislike a movie about cats...

All Cats Are Bad

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Lurdiak posted:

Probably the last culturally relevant Dracula film ever made

umm, someone clearly hasn't seen Argento's Dracula 3D

I loving love Dracula movies. I have about 30 different ones in my collection right now, although that's counting any movie with Dracula as a character so there are some in there that have virtually nothing to do with the original story, like The Return of Dracula (1958) or Blood of Dracula's Castle (1969) (both of which are pretty terrible). Even with the bad ones though I enjoy seeing how different actors and filmmakers interpret the characters.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Lurdiak posted:

Doesnt that mean you have Blade 3 and Van Helsing?

actually, no I don't have either of those. I've seen them but it's been quite a while.

I do however own Dracula 2000 and it's sequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
You should also check out Seijun Suzuki if you like classic Japanese cinema. Branded to Kill and Tokyo Drifter both rule. Super stylish and fun Yakuza/action films.

if you need convincing check out this short video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6e9mowbmys