Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm in, even if it means I'll have to watch Friday the 13th.

It's been such a long time since I've seen the Exorcist that I'd really love to rewatch it, but where on Amazon is it? Certainly not on Prime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
It's called The Birds, plural :rolleyes:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Ok, this thread finally got me to watch Audition.

Takashi Miike is an odd director, he can make legitimately good 'real' movies like 13 Assassins, absolute gutter trash like Sukyaki Western Djano, insane yakuza action like Dead or Alive, thoughtful and hearfelt drama/comedy like Dead or Alive 2 or straight up movies meant as a joke like Dead or Alive 3. Or extreme torture movies like Ichi the Killer and Lynchian mystery like Gozu. Point is, you really never know what to expect other than a very peculiar sense of humour that is sometimes very overt and sometimes only hinted at.
Having seen all these, and of course having had the story spoiled a long time ago, I was expecting the long set-up to lead to a humorous and very gruesome punch-line. I was mostly wrong I'd say? I definitely did not expect to be legitimately scared! Really good, serious, David Lynch style horror, genuinely unsettling, too extreme in the end for my taste but I knew what I was getting into. I can not imagine someone watching this movie completely blind, what a complete mindfuck that must be.

I also can't help to think that this movie has played a role in the demographic crisis of Japan.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Sleepaway Camp!
I don't care much about American slashers, but I figured I'd have to close the Jason shaped holes in my horror knowledge sooner or later.
This one was much better than expected. First thing I noticed is the baffling gayness of it all, until I realized that what I laughed at as accidental homoeroticism is definitely intentional, and denotes people who are not lovely.
Everyone who gets murdered is straight, mean and has it coming, at least for horror standards. The last scene, JESUS gently caress. Like with Audition I knew it was coming, have seen a screenshot or two, but I was not prepared. The whole preceding movie was sort of silly even though the murders were gruesome, so then this horrifical body straight out of the uncanny valley comes up without warning and then it ends on that? Wow. Does any other movie do that?
I'm not sure how it fits into the whole homosexuality angle, and I can't quite tell if it's supposed to work based on transphobia, but gently caress it works.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Who's y'all's favorite camper? Shut up it's glasses guy.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Well, that wasn't fun, but also not abhorrent in the way I thought it would be. The murders are gruesome and sleazy but not gratuitous in a way that indicts the filmmaker, if that makes sense. It's matter of factly and it happens to be ugly in subject matter, but nobody is supposed to be enjoying whats happening on screen. An interesting contrast to the vast majority of horror movies.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I saw The Burbs during the last horror challenge and really wouldn't count it as a horror essential. It's a perfectly fine and enjoyable comedy with a charismatic cast and capable director but the horror is toothless and the satire severely undercut by the cowardly ending.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Basebf555 posted:

Watch some classics you haven't seen yet doofus

I'd rather feel smug for not having to watch the movie of the day :colbert:

edit: Candyman is good, but let me ruin the score for you by pointing out that parts of it bear an uncanny resemblance to the Mr. Bean Theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTiONdxBfIY&t=33s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzGimN2H2oQ&t=9s

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 12, 2019

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Alice, Sweet Alice is probably the closest America has come to a giallo, right?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
But if there's any way you can see it on a big screen in its 4k restoration, please please do that. It really opens up an entirely new dimension to the movie if it's 10x louder and brighter than on your laptop.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Aaah I'm shamefully behind on my classics! Cat People!
Working against the fact that cats are cool and good and not scary, this does an admirable job not showing a monster and making you imagine it for most of the movie. Interesting that it barely even scratches (heh) any horror aspects until quite far into the movie and leaves you guessing whether there is a monster pretty much up until the end. I loved the pool scene which quite clearly inspired the one in It Follows.

How are Curse of the Cat People and Cat People (1982)?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Catfishenfuego posted:

1982 Cat People is the 'I've met writers who use subtext, cowards, the lot of them' bit from darkplace in movie form.

This sort of puts it at the top of my watchlist lol

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Holy crap, Peeping Tom was way better than I expected. The acting on Karlheinz Boehm is absolutely brilliant, moving from vulnerable to menacing in the fraction of a second. Everything about the dude screams stay away, but not in the usual movie way. I also love how every character who even just gets a line or two is actually interesting and not just some random cardboard cutout to move the story along. Chief among them is Helen's mother, the scene she has with Marc is fantastic. Some really neat shots too, the murder victim's face projected onto Marc turning into a skull is ingenious. Don't sleep on this one.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
What about Dog Soldiers tho?

edit: drat you Basef555

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Really it's my fault for thinking too long about a funny pun before giving up, I blame lack of sleep and coffee.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm sooo far behind, but at least I managed to catch another good one! Werner Herzog's Nosferatu!
The man is a treasure, and I'll never get sick of his love for animals. There's an entire scene where half of the shot is taken up by a horse, it's head just out of frame, for no reason at all. Klaus Kinski, may he fry in hell, is an amazing Vampire, perhaps one of the most memorable ever, and it looks like he was an inspiration for the recent IT remake. The movie also puts a new spin on the old story, making Lucy the hero. And boy, does the movie look great at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I only managed a pathetic 6/19 unwatched essentials somehow, but I'll keep this bookmarked to work my way through it!
Thanks Lurdiak for this thread!