Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

EvilHawk posted:

To what end? I mean, shirt sales don't go into the hands of the club really, so having a bunch more American plastics isn't really going to matter in that regards. They're not going to be going to the games. Does TV viewership matter? Not really. I suppose they can get a good pre-season tour out of it.

Buying players to supposedly "increase foreign support" or whatever has always seemed weird to me. I've never seen any real evidence that it does the club any favours over, you know, actually being good at football.

Having more plastic American fans raises the profile of the club in a major overseas market which then increases social media engagement (twitter followers, instagram followers, fans on facebook, etc.) which they can then leverage to get more money from sponsors, get more prestigious sponsors, help with recruitment, etc. Suddenly, American companies that wouldn't give the time of day to some football club based in London might start thinking about whatever co-branding opportunities they can have with the club if they can plaster Pulisic's face on their ads.

I think the shirt-selling thing is important in that it also helps raise the profile of the club overseas (my pizza delivery guy showed up wearing a PSG jersey, which i was a little taken aback by) even if the club doesn't make a dime off the actual sale of the shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

webmeister posted:

Don't underestimate the stupidity of Ed Woodward

I feel like he'll end up vindicated in the end -- some of the players that Jose wanted and then cast aside aren't actual shite.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

Gorn Myson posted:

Man Utd fans for ages were like "everyone in our team is dogshit" and anyone with half a brain said "actually they're good and would be performing much better in a side that coached them properly and played them in the right position" and then the second that they do this Man Utd fans are shocked beyond belief.

in 15 years, there will be some post on whatever man united boards saying "maybe ed woodward wasnt so bad after all"

Nis fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 18, 2019

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

A fat mopey oval office who won't admit he's losing his hair? :haw:

we all watched rooney for years mate

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

Jason Sextro posted:

He withdrew himself from consideration from the World Cup squad because Didier Deschamps "didn't use him properly" and his mother is his agent.

Is she in the news all the time like LaVar Ball?

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I mean I could totally see him crashing and burning but iirc he's literally down to the youth team in terms of players

Didn't he also hint that he'd been given assurances that he'd be given funds to bring players in this window? This must be related to that, right?

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

trem_two posted:

Juve are signing Caceres for €600k, he's replacing Benatia, who Juve are selling to a Qatar club for €10m. This is the third time Caceres has signed for Juve.

His agent must love the good folks running Juve

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47017908

Looks like Callum Hudson-Odoi has handed in a transfer request -- deffo Bayern then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

go on lazar lad