Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

happy new year, friends

my mom texted me today asking if she could have one of my old consoles so she can practice her hand/eye coordination and work on her reflexes. i haven't seen her play a game since she played mario with me once like ten or so years ago but she is sad now that she can't just "jump in" and play games, however poorly, with my siblings and i anymore when we all get together.

what do you guys think would be good for her? she doesn't have to get good at anything but of course it's no fun if you can never progress. she plays puzzle games on her phone and she has a sharp mind. i also think she's more interested in using a big tv instead of a handheld although she is retired now and goes on long rv trips and probably couldn't easily bring a console.

so far i was thinking:

guitar hero: maybe good? it might help to have something she's familiar with (the songs) and a simple task that can get as challenging as you want. plus i'm no good at these games so she could probably beat me pretty quickly
mario: maybe good. i guess which one depends on whatever console i end up picking up for her.
animal crossing: bad? i can't see her playing every day and i think the daily "chore" aspect of the game is not what she's looking for. maybe it's also too open-ended
wii sports: bad? i know she could do it but "getting fit" and staying active aren't really a challenge for her, and also not what she's looking for

she has my family's old wii already. maybe i pick her up an old ds too for the classic combo? plus they're super cheap.
what do you guys think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

LBP actually sounds pretty good, and I have a PS3 that I never use, too.
Overcooked might not be too bad. Might give it a try.

And I think she used to play Brain Age when it came out. While overall not bad (and I will suggest it to her) It's more of a "five minutes a day" kind of deal and I'm not sure if that's what she's looking for.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. God bless

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Thanks for the advice. I'm seeing her tomorrow so I'm thinking I should take over my 3DS XL and my Switch. The Wii is already at her place. She has a big trip coming up so I'm thinking about picking her up an XL DS of some kind if she can see the screen on mine okay. I figure the DS/3DS library is pretty rich with mom-appropriate games. Plus it's small enough to carry around, and a 2DS is pretty cheap. Only downside is if she prefers to play on the TV.
WarioWare is a pretty good suggestion, it teaches those arbitrary twitchy tasks you sometimes have to do. Good for reaction, too.

Thanks again everyone. Lots of genuinely good advice itt.