Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
These dudes rule

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t80497Zendc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I got a job as a county employee so I'm pretty relieved to be a part of PERS and have a Union.

I mainly fix airport self check-in kiosks, walk 10 miles a day, and I'm pretty stress free.

Weed helps, but I don't want to ruin my career by getting into an accident with an airliner, so I have to dial it back.

You don't have to have a dream job to be relatively stress free. There will always be some motherfucker trying to ice skate uphill, your shouldn't join them nor allow other dipshits to join them.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

holocaust bloopers posted:

Turning in my notice tomorrow. Another agency came along not too long ago for a much more enticing position. If this role doesn’t work out, I’m probably leaving the industry for good.

Good luck man. That's gotta be scary, still.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Working for anything gun related in Newtown would make me very loving :smith:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

Money isn't everything bro. I left bigger money behind me to come to the ferries but my QOL has improved as a result.

Yeah I'm pretty happy making just over half the money than some of my Army peers because I am way less stressed out than from their weird tech jock companies/departments.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Deathy McDeath posted:

The money is actually very good

If it ain't seven figures, it ain't enough.

I wouldn't even consider it for 500k and I'm a computer toucher.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

What was security contracting like

Foot patrols in afghanistan were a loving trip dude I'd give anything to be able to backpack there. There was a tell from one of alexander the great's fortifications on top of a plateau with a river at the bottom of it. I'd buy a donkey and just start walking along that river man

Qalat, Zabul? I was on Lagman in 2011

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Just because it feels familiar doesn't mean it's not dangerous.

Forget that warzone. Y'all made it through serving your nation and they were taking advantage of you then; there's no need to go back to directly enrich Dick Cheney's golf buddies.

I was directly supporting satellite terminals in Afghanistan in 2013. I lucked out of dying very stupidly by just missing the major attacks on the FOBs and camps I lived in.

Not worth the money after a few years of reflection.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 9, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Awful block is the best block because it's just like reliving childhood where one of your friends breaking some dumb game over their knee.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The Rat posted:

Now you have me thinking about computer monitors for photo editing. Currently have a pair Dell U2412M ultra sharps, but I have no clue if something has come out that's noticeably better.
Couple pages back but dawg I know those Dell models were good and accurate years ago, but that's Stone age poo poo now.

They got massive 4k displays with higher pixel density, high color accuracy (100% sRGB) and some quality picks with all those features for less than $500.

It's bananas now.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

what a time to be alive

OLEDs keep getting cheaper and cheaper. Are there good options for gaming? I know refresh rate was an issue, but prob old news. Wouldn’t get one for a year or two though

There's a monitor thread I don't have bookmarked anymore but gaming monitors are all 144hz, Freesync compatible (meaning they support variable framerates, which makes movement even smoother), and either UHD or ultrawide. Even a lot of TVs support 1080p @ 120hz input, or 4k @ 30hz with 4:4:4 chroma subsampling and other crazy poo poo, like tricking your display driver to support Freesync (on a TV!)

OLED isn't going anywhere right now other than phones and high end TVs. Still has some burn in issues so it's not great for PC use, and even Samsung has said they're stepping down big OLED production (though I'm half remembering a year ago).

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 12, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The Rat posted:

Oh dang. Thanks! Gonna have to take a closer look when I get home in a couple days.

My computer currently has a GeForce 970 and it's still running games just fine. Will that need to be upgraded as well as the monitors?

Not gonna be able to play newest AAA games in ultra, but playable at 1080p. The good thing is if you get Freesync (either from the manufacturer it through easy hacks) is it makes drops below maximum framerates less noticable because the monitor/TV just matches the framerate.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm a little high but I'll try to help with a few of these.

quote:

I'm not sure if I have a problem with hooking up my PC to my new TV, or if it's the ceiling of my graphics card, but I can't adjust the resolution of the TV to anything above 1080p without it defaulting to "no signal" and my other two screens spazzing out. Weirdly enough, playing 4K HDR YouTube videos on it while it's on 1080p yields the same quality that I get when I run UHD content ON the TV via its apps, and the quality is even better than on my 24" 4K display that is hooked up via display port, which leads me to the assumption that I don't fully understand resolution concepts on screens.

Does the resolution my PC tells the TV to use when in secondary display mode only affect non-video content like my desktop, or browser windows or whatever I drag over to it? Because otherwise I have no explanation how a UHD YouTube video I drag over to it on secondary display mode has the same quality as UHD content I play on the TV itself.

It could be that your TV apps are not going up to UHD (some internal Android... computers are not powerful enough to do UHD) and the TVs image processor is upscaling to the 1080p signal.

quote:

I've been running my 4K screen and a 1080 secondary on this GTX 1060 6GB with no issue, and can effortlessly run games in 4K on the highest quality settings, but I can't output 4K resolution on the TV, even when I hook it up as the only output of my graphics card, and that's surprising, because I had my 24" display hooked up via HDMI without issues for several days before I bought a display port cable.

I've googled around, and worked in the "fixes" like turning on HDMI UHD Color settings for all my HDMI ports, and reconnected my cable to the proper HDMI port (because apparently, one port only supports 30Hz, while the other two support the full frequency, with the third port being the only one with HDMI audio, no change though.

You probably need to research if the HDMI port you're using is capable of full bandwidth video signals; like, my TV only has one UHD @ 30 hz capable input

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Cross posting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KgNaRQ_J-c

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Keep in mind that airplane food has and always will be poo poo, but also take into account that they've hired chefs to fix that, and it still tastes bland and terrible.

That's because altitude plays fuckery with your taste buds. Obviously not going to get the same results at 5k feet, but it might play in effect.

It's also because nobody gives a poo poo. The amount of money and labor that could go into stupid poo poo like "better food" can keep the sky buses flying for an extra couple of months.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The Rat posted:

Oh I mean HDR monitors, rather than the photo technique. It seems to be a thing that adds significantly to the price.

To my knowledge, it's not worth it right now, unless it's a Samsung QLED panel. Most HDR screens have bad backlight bleed because the monitor has to up the brightness for really hot highlights; only the Samsung panels are doing a good enough job of blocking light.

Also my experience is HDR fucks up color accuracy badly, especially to print.

I'm not a photo editor guy though so I may be misguided.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The Rat posted:

E;fb^^^

Haha poo poo, I didn't realize it was that new. The reviews on the HDR-capable monitors in my price range all say it's not implemented great, do I might just skip it on this monitor upgrade and use the savings for a new video card.

Monitor upgrade is fine dude. Get the best you can afford, since it is literally how you interface with your computer everyday, and will last you much longer than any video card "investments".

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Fallom posted:

imo I wouldn't want to deal with a single, wide monitor because I think it would make arranging windows a pain in the rear end and fullscreen games would gently caress with everything

Winkey + left or right my friend.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Fallom posted:

Ok so yeah, I'd still need to have another monitor on my desk if I wanted to watch videos while playing games. If it wasn't up against a window I would consider an over/under configuration.

It really depends on the monitor and the brand, but most come with something free, and there's always software like Display Fusion that can do what you're saying if the monitor doesn't come with it.

Additionally you can just play the game in a window of you like splitting your attention like that. Kinda funny; I thought us millennials were the ones with attention problems.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Soulex posted:

I got to take photos at another professional game:

album:https://imgur.com/a/Zs52e8z

WTF were there any cards after these?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Man, loving carwash ripped off the trim on my lift gate.

Didn't notice until I was at the vet dropping $600 on Sputnik for getting his rear end kicked by another dog.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Frank dislikes pitbulls and pit mixes. So much that he stands behind me when one is nearby. He doesn't trust them in the slightest.

So what kind of dog beat up on Sputnik?

Friends little pit dachshund mix. Smaller dog and him got into it apropos of nothing, but we think they were both stressed out over the wind.

Bummed out, Sputnik is kinda limited to being at home now because he's become more dog aggressive as the years go on. He just gets too hyper at parks and on walks. I don't know how to get him active and exercised while simultaneously keeping him away from other dogs.

I've tried what I know to try to stay calm and poo poo, but my anxiety over this is at a ten.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

You need the miracle drugs Zoloft and Klonopin my man. Anxiety is like a 3-4 for me instead of the 8-10 that it was pre-medication.

Have you tried any of the deep breathing and positive thinking exercises the shrinks push? They seem to help others too.

gently caress anxiety.

I do those and I do weekly therapy. I'm waiting for my new insurance to kick in before I get medicated. NV decriminalized weed so I'm occasionally hitting that, even though I'm rolling the dice on any potential workers comp claims.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Thanks for support. I'm ok right now and I've been getting better managing my anxiety with people and situations but I think Sputnik picks up on my cues more than I thought.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I hope that's not a jab at me because we do much more than that and I'm hoping that's not the impression we give.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Vasudus posted:

i found out a few months ago what my ex has been forced to do ever since she was forced back to lebanon and it made me extremely depressed for months so that was cool

it still hasn't completely left me and i think about it many times a day but at least i'm not suffering from straight up despair anymore, just a complete lack of happiness

it'll pass in time i guess

Jesus. I'm sorry dude.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The Rat posted:

32" 4k BenQ PD3200U is the new one on the left, Dell U2412M is the secondary on the right.

Now I'm just debating video card upgrades, either the RTX 2060 or the Vega 64. 75% photo editing and general internet use, 25% games like XCOM2, Battletech and Stellaris. Current video card is a GTX 970 with an i5-6600k.

e: or maybe a 2070 if an ebay coupon hits or there's some other sale in the next month or so

Two things to remember about updating tech, especially video cards: there is always something way faster about to be released at all times, and the longer you wait, the lower the process are.

pcpartpicker.com is a good place to find the lowest prices on parts, unless they're used.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The kingdom of Saud is not our friend, gently caress what the state department says.

Treat them like adversaries.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Amazon must've gotten compromised or someone has MITM card info to Amazon, based on what I'm hearing lately.

Add 2fa to everything.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
420/69th

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

quote:

-At one point, a co-worker who I think is a contractor, and clearly didn't give a gently caress, asked him what he meant by serendipitous, because English wasn't his first language. The exchange, 

"So what do you mean by this word, serendipitous? Sorry, this word is new to me." 
"Oh it means occurring or discovered by chance in a happy or beneficial way. Like ideas or projects happening suddenly because people are there." 
"Okay, from what it sounds like this idea was just a serendipitous moment you had on the toilet."

Holy loving :laffo:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbBZM9aUMsjEM76RFMofBZmDBuqNPnCdt

[video type="youtube"]/playlist?list=PLbBZM9aUMsjEM76RFMofBZmDBuqNPnCdt[/video]

A wonderful dude thrifts while looking for weird games and tech from the 90's and early 00's.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Patio closets will typically fit a set of 15" wheels with tires.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Current mood:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The Rat posted:

I really like my Subaru. Decent gas mileage, can get out on mountain dirt roads, and big enough for me to sleep in.

Outback is a great goddamn crossover too. I got a 3.6r and I really wouldn't trade it for most anything.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Vasudus posted:

god is punishing me for my hubris

i'm gonna drink like two of these to go with my pizza

goddamnit gently caress

the store has an entirely separate shelf for non-alcoholic beer, this shouldn't have been there

pissssssssssss

SMDH this is how we treat our veterans in America?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm from Texas and I am ambivalent about beans in my chili.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I don't know where else to put it but why the gently caress do business computers loving shutdown after you power cycle them?

Never fails, there's some loving Dell optiplex frozen, you go shut it down, and when you turn it back on, it decides it's gotta start and loving stop once or twice.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I just loving paid for a year too... poo poo

You can likely get it tweaked for a month. TMobile has had phenomenal customer service when I call and blatantly say I'm trying to cash in on something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Smoked myself literally stupid and felt better that afternoon.

Weed roles, Booze drools