Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Vasudus posted:

current job status: surprise offsite visit to see the marine corpse tomorrow morning, goddamnit poo poo

Bring some crayons to butter them up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJc9DwScrrA

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

My folks came down to visit us this weekend as we were at the in-laws for Christmas. They got us a new probe thermometer and a few other kitchen things we needed. The one thing that really surprised me and was very touching was one of the cast iron pans from my Grandmother's house. She was from the south and this pan is the most cured I have ever seen a cast iron. Last year she passed and they just recently cleared out the house and I mentioned to my mom if they had saved any of them, so it was nice of her to pass that on. Was a nice way to start the new year.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Also, weren't you doing public defender/indigent case work?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Soulex posted:

Basically. Time is money, and I got kids. I value my time.

I didn't realize superstar Heath Slater posted here, sorry you lose all the time

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Anyone tried using the TRICARE Find a Doc (https://tricare.mil/FindDoctor) recently? Giving a 403 error which, ya know, shouldn't happen

Edit: Talked to a friend still on active, apparently TRICARE is down right now (not sure if shutdown or what) as he tried to get a dental plan for his <1yo kid

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 11, 2019

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Looks like after doing some work and then checking back on the site it is working now. Must have been some fun Friday code migration to production or maintenance window we got caught in.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

Turned in my company badge and laptop today. Feels real good to not go back to that place.

Congratulations!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

Does anyone remember Old Country Buffet? Do those still exist?

I am always surprised to see a billboard for Pondarosa, cannot imagine how they started open

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

Enlisted who come from line units that have never seen the Army above the BN level seem to have this idea that people aren't just humans at every level and like laughing at stupid things. I once watched the G2 (a full colonel) for a 3 star command play with plastic army men/dinosaurs when we were giving our morning briefing to him. Someone deliberately left them laying on the table in our SCIF where he'd sit, totally took the bait. :lol:

Enemy MDCA: Ride those dinosaurs and attack allies

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Podcast and/or audiobook recommendations for a 14 hour drive? Gotta go to SC this weekend for a funeral.

If you want to listen to former videogamesmen goons talk about The Simpsons and other animated shows, Talking Simpsons (https://talkingsimpsons.libsyn.com/) is up to season 9 now so lots of back catalog.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I need to get better at distance for rowing, I almost always just do 5k. I've only ever used a Concept 2 so interested in your thoughts on water rowers

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

And they didn't even use him for the interview or segment it whatever

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Before changing careers, I was on a large scale SAP HR implementation project and we knew at least three of the 20 or so consultants and programmers were farming out work back home to India and China. The onsite requirement was M-Th and I can't remember what he did but only one of them was dumb enough to get caught and fired for it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1095011428409307136

Looks like it might be good

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/curbedchicago/status/1095432089938341889

Chicago GIPers, get yourself a piece of history on the southside

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Soulex posted:

Make some chili.

Be sure to save some to have before testifying to Congress

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

EBB posted:

Who is non-alcoholic beer for? I can't drink it now because alcoholism, and the only time I legit drank it was at some square's party when I was 20 who bought it especially for me to "not feel left out".

The Navy and steel beach picnics

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I have found as part of my self-care that watching GIP Patron Saint Bob Ross on Twitch during the weekend while doing coursework is great. The best part is Bob painting this beautiful lake and wanting to add a cabin so he's like "maybe an old beaver trapper lived here and he might have fell into the river and drown." Just complete no sell and made me laugh hardily.

And, yes, I know I can watch this on Netflix or YT during the non-Twitch time.

Also, the best feeling is finish a paper or project and closing a Chrome window with 20+ tabs

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 4, 2019

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Sarah posted:

Me and the hubs are finally adulting and went out and found a house for the babby. After a whole day of going back and forth, and a night for the seller to sleep on it, the offer was accepted and we are in contract!

Now to freak out about moving.

Congratulations!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

Meanwhile it's going to be almost 60f in Milwaukee tomorrow. :dance:

Mid 60s in Indy, took the dog for a long walk yesterday and today

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Captain Marvel was good, we both enjoyed it. It was different watching an MCU origin story this late into the timeline, but was still a good film.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Secretly, I've been thinking of leaving IT.

Sorry to hear that you got the short end for a probationary period minor issue.

You may find a more fulfilling job but you will leave money on the table. I left working as a consultant doing SAP implementations to go back for my MSW to be a therapist and help people. I won't be making the same amount I did as a consultant for many years after finishing grad school. Working directly with people experiencing acute psychiatric episodes and helping them get back to their baseline before discharge compared to making sure a spreadsheet had the correct green value is much more fulfilling.

If you can find meaning with something outside work and just trudge along as a drone collecting $$$, maybe do that. If you cannot and have someone who can support you during a dip in income, follow your heart.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i turn 35 today

im also sick in bed with something flu-like

yay

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Happy birthday dude; my 35th birthday is tomorrow and I feel something coming on too. First time I’ve been sick in over a year and of course it’s on my goddamn birthday.

Happy Birthday fellow 84ers! Can't wait for my joints to continue deteriorating by 40

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Bill Oakley? Yeah, he's a pretty funny and all around good guy.

The food reviewer? Didn't know he did anything before that

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Bob Johnson, oh wait

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Indecision is death in major metro areas

I have taken trains in the wrong direction due to my own incompetence but, by god, I never held up fellow riders

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Woof Blitzer posted:

I don't each at chains.

Unless it's white castle

Sack of 20 is great when you hate yourself and everyone in your immediate vicinity

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Brute Squad posted:

Gorka's selling his mustang?

ART WAR only belongs to the dragon of Budapest

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

WWE responded.

"John Oliver is clearly a clever and humorous entertainer, however, the subject matter covered in his WWE segment is no laughing matter," the organization said in the statement to The Hollywood Reporter. "Prior to airing, WWE responded to his producers refuting every point in his one-sided presentation. John Oliver simply ignored the facts. The health and wellness of our performers is the single most important aspect of our business, and we have a comprehensive, longstanding Talent Wellness program. We invite John Oliver to attend WrestleMania this Sunday to learn more about our company."

The press release paper then magically stood up and pointed at the WM sign.

John is now booked to take on No Way Jose' at WM

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

- seeing the ARTWAR Mustang

Did you stick a banana in the tail pipe?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Flikken posted:

Season 4 isn't going to have a tent and is just going to be their travel specials

Noice

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Another month until I have to hear that dumb Massachusetts accent again

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Ask me about my simple trick to avoiding this.

Be Gay, Do Crimes

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

ElMaligno posted:

in other news i am startin a paleo diet and i have to eat a pound of veggies before i eat breakfast and boy do i hate myself.

Veggies are great, quit hating on veggies

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Woof Blitzer posted:

Yikes at listening to Joe Rogan.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Wunderbar!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://www.indystar.com/story/money/2019/04/16/vasectomy-cakes-new-trend-bakeries/3282453002/

quote:

Cakes topped with everything from scissors and well-placed blueberries to fondant sperm – have become a social media sensation as bakers across the U.S. promote photos of baked goods decorated to celebrate the procedure. 

What generated buzz most recently was an Instagram post by Signature Desserts in Nolensville, Tennessee, showcasing a buttercream-frosted cake with "100% JUICE NO SEEDS HAPPY VASECTOMY!" written on top. It featured lemons hand-painted on edible paper and cost the client who conceived of it for her husband $30.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Just gave money to my alma mater even though they have a 2+ billion dollar endowment. At least I can specify where it goes so I don't feel as bad supporting departments that I used years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008