Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Dad chat: I’ve spent the evening building the LEGO Saturn V rocket. Wife has been helping, stage 1 complete. How’s your holiday times working out fellow dads and moms and childless uncles? (me).

Yo, just finished mine tonight. Also a wife gift. Pretty solid.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm watching the Demon House specials on travel channel while hitting the oil rig.

It's gonna swing below 0°F tonight and I wanted brain candy.

Is that the one where Zack buys the house in the hood? That episode is hilarious. He rolls up with his camera crew and starts interviewing the squatters living on his property about their ghost experiences.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yo who’s seen Terrace House

How the gently caress Yuriko gonna let that guy take her out to the club and then to a fancy Tokyo dinner before telling him she wants to get back with her ex

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'd go back to making minimum wage (minus some wage theft by the owner) as a barista before I put myself through that poo poo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Sounds dope. I have about 5 in my home city I take a walk through once a quarter.

Thrifting/antiquing is cool because you can find neat furniture, artwork, books, electronics, and video games and satisfy a bunch of collector urges at once. Just gotta go in with the mindset that you might only make a big find once every few months.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 8, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah, curious to hear more about USAA being bad. I’ve mostly only heard good things. I use it for home/auto insurance

They treated my wife like absolute poo poo for daring to be rear ended by somebody on their insurance.

I made a claim myself and had to call every hour of every workday for a week before I got in touch with my adjuster. They just said they were busy.

I wanted to try their mortgage service but they were so hands off and clinical about it I didn’t bother continuing past the first few steps. They basically wanted me to get as close to closing as possible before they would even deign to speak with me. I went with Prime Lending instead and it was like having a kindly grandmother hold my hand through the process.

I still use them for banking and homeowners/car insurance but I don’t feel a whole ton of loyalty. Beats BoA I guess.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 9, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Yeah my wife had a minor fender bender that did $1,078 dollars worth of damage to her new car. Our deductible is $1,000 so all USAA had to cover was 78 dollars and whatever a rental car ran for the 3 days it was in the shop getting fixed. I spent a week trying to get our agent to approve the quote the body shop offered and another week getting USAA to actually contact us with updates using the correct email address instead of the one they fat fingered in.

Oh yeah, USAA tried to convince the body shop to use junkyard parts to fix her BMW, took 30 days to respond to the body shop's quote, and failed to adjust the rental car payment to compensate. My wife got a call from the rental company to return the car immediately and pay the $800 she "owed".

It was a real mess and USAA cost itself 20% extra just by acting like a bunch of loving assholes.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 9, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My cat's 18, has kidney failure and only weighs 4 pounds. She won't eat wet cat food so the vet just said "gently caress it, give her tuna."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dumb Friends League in Denver has cat rooms where you can just hang out in a room with a dozen kitties

I met one called Coco a few years ago who was 6 pounds and liked belly rubs and I will regret not picking her up to my dying day.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

EBB posted:

oh cool i can watch an incel gently caress up a major military operation again

please stop bringing up my last assignment thanks

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

my favorite part of TVs is out of touch people trying to sell their old monstrous TV for like $500-1,000 cause it was $4,900 when they bought it New forever ago

“No low balls I know what I have...and paid”

Like you’d have to pay someone to carry and take that thing away. I do understand some niche CRTs hold their value a bit and maybe plasmas...?

Rear projection TVs are literally worth negative dollars

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Colorado repealed its temperance era horseshit law and now Costco sells flats of real beer

Hell yeah

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

But can you get gallons of liquor?

Not yet :(

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Solo is on Netflix now. Saw it in theaters, actually pretty ok. No where near Rogue One.

Also saw Children of Men, Moon, Seven, and District 9 were on there.

Ex Machina is still on there as well. Bummer they took Snowpiercer off at some point

Not going to argue it’s a good movie, but Doom is on there as well lol

You'd never loving know it because Netflix sends actual movies to the back of the bus. The Star Wars and Marvel movies are low quality versions, too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tbh I like a good cheap buffet gorge every half decade or so

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I had my first frog legs at a Chinese buffet in Waynesboro, VA

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Waffle House is genuinely good food. It’s not like you can’t see them cracking eggs right in front of you.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Boulder/Denver food is okay, just okay. Better, spicier food in Pueblo. The Springs is kinda just your standard fare, run of the mill commercial restaurant poo poo. There are great mexican joints though.

There are stand-outs in each city, but Boulder south through the Springs are pretty soulless. There's not any real local niche food either. Lots of food trucks though. There's a guy that brings tamales to my work, in the trunk of his mustang. I'm not tempted enough by the probable food poisoning, so I stick to my morning protein bars.

Pueblo is solid though.

I haven’t really been able to find good Mexican in Denver. Everybody acts like hole-in-the-wall joints are supposed to all be amazing but my experience hasn’t been great.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Its this x1000000 people around here talk about restaurants like they're the second coming of christ and they're all usually pretty disappointing. Da Gee on the outskirts of Denver is probably my favorite restaurant around here and it's not that impressive for korean BBQ.

Southmouth wings and the Sun brewery's / pizzarias are the only restaurants I'd actually recommend around here. For a city with such a granola-y reputation there aren't even very many good vegetarian / vegan restaurants. It's loving bullshit!

I like Mr. Kim's but that may be because it's right next to a gigantic Asian market so I always cap off my meals by exploring that place for 2 hours

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I wish we had Taco Cabana in Colorado. Even their pancake breakfast is amazing.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Windows didn't even support HDR until like 3 months ago

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Monitor upgrade is fine dude. Get the best you can afford, since it is literally how you interface with your computer everyday, and will last you much longer than any video card "investments".

Just don't be an early adopter of HDR stuff - neither the hardware nor the software are there yet. Those monitors aren't expensive because they're good, they're expensive because they're new.

A solid 4k IPS Dell is probably still the best thing out there.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

imo I wouldn't want to deal with a single, wide monitor because I think it would make arranging windows a pain in the rear end and fullscreen games would gently caress with everything

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

My experience so far is that one ultra wide is equivalent to having two normal screens side by side but without a bezel between and arranging windows is equally as seamless. Having two ultra wides is still seamless for arranging windows. And so far no game has had a problem with them.

If the game goes into full screen doesn't it fill the whole monitor? I use my second screen for videos while I'm playing some games.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

So right now my right half of the right screen is discord, left half is YouTube, and all of the left screen is doom playing full screen at 2560x1080. Anything that fullscreens at 1920x1080 just gets normal black letter box on the left and right margins.

Ok so yeah, I'd still need to have another monitor on my desk if I wanted to watch videos while playing games. If it wasn't up against a window I would consider an over/under configuration.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 17, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

drat, did he gently caress up the mount after pushing it up to speed?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Walking your dog 15 miles isn’t really “being a dog owner” so much as a thing you enjoy together and that’s cool

Plenty of dogs are happy going around the block and playing at home or at the park

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 23, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Start off asking how many followers they have on social media

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vasudus posted:

about three years ago one of the people i worked with left the company to go work for a small that did basically the same work, but offered a comp boost + ~free beer at the workplace!!!!1 and no suits~

it turns out that everyone there was just a bunch of lovely drunks that were tired of sneaking out to have a drink midday without getting the shakes

that's my beer at work story :tipshat:

yeah and I bet they got fuckin paaaaaid

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

from what i can tell working with guys at companies like SAIC and Raytheon vs. the small businesses is that working for a small business is way worth the extra pain of shuffling over to a new one every year or so, as long as your skillset/experience are specialized enough to make hiring automatic

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

oh my god the data science initiative at my agency has done nothing but produce the world's smuggest analysis team with the worst work ethic. it's like a microcosm of double-STEMlords within a STEM field

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's 25°F out, ice still on plenty of the road, and I just watched a soldier roll out of my apartment complex on a crotch rocket. He was still in uniform.

Hooah.

My wife needs a transplant so I’ll start praying.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What hole do these idiots crawl out of?

quote:

Tesla fan and Model 3 owner. Please consider using my referral code: http://ts.la/#%23%23%23%23%23
California, USA

Oh.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Imagine logging on to a social network populated by a world of people and summing up your entire personality as "Tesla fan"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CostCo was still kinda busy with a higher proportion of Asian representation than usual but Lowes was an absolute ghost town. It was kind of creepy.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Rat posted:

No caffeine gives me more consistent energy levels too, with less highs and crashes.

Quit after one of the Ugandans on the opposing shift on my first contract was found dead of a heart attack at age 40 in his CHU, surrounded by Rip-It cans.

Half my coworkers over 40 take workout powder during the day for the caffeine content; they're loving doomed

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Accept it when they offer their free passport storage service

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

just loving lol that in tyool 2018 people are still trying to pass off forged checks despite that poo poo getting blasted on the news every time someone tries to steal $2.31

Like the other guy said there’s still banks like BoA that will tell victims to gently caress off for a year while the CFPB does nothing because of regulatory capture.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

psydude posted:

Dress sneakers are in right now, but you've gotta be cool enough to pull them off (I'm not).

All black sneakers are far from cool but nobody gives a poo poo so just keep something nice at your desk in case you have to brief a General or something

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Lol my reserve unit asked us if anyone was interested in the possibility of going to space force reserve.

What the gently caress I thought that died already.

It’s super dead but there were/are a bunch of surveys going around so the services can try to collect data on how much of a cluster it would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

How are companies so bad at this?

I’ll have you know that wealthy companies don’t get to where they are by making stupid decisions. -My boomer coworkers, probably