Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

yo can we just take a second to acknowledge, again, just how amazing Fury Road was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr6wdTPGFmI

I mean, gently caress. At 2:30, just don’t think we’ll see a scene like that in cinema for a while.

I love showing Fury Road to people for the first time and watching them become reborn. Everything about it: absolutely perfect. Love the ideas around Max not even being an actual person, but more of a legend in this post apocalyptic world

https://youtu.be/HClM8YvNljo

One of my favorite action sequences ever filmed. Not at all embarrassed to say that I listen to this song on repeat when I need to amp myself up for something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1087510153832919040

I’ve watched this like five times in a row. :feelsgood:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Friends little pit dachshund mix. Smaller dog and him got into it apropos of nothing, but we think they were both stressed out over the wind.

Bummed out, Sputnik is kinda limited to being at home now because he's become more dog aggressive as the years go on. He just gets too hyper at parks and on walks. I don't know how to get him active and exercised while simultaneously keeping him away from other dogs.

I've tried what I know to try to stay calm and poo poo, but my anxiety over this is at a ten.

Can’t speak to your own personal anxiety problems (sorry friend) but Lando is really reactive with other dogs while on leash and I also can’t trust him in the dog park (he tends to get overexcited too quickly and that has prompted other dogs to get aggressive with him.) So I feel like I may be able to contribute a bit here:

I walk him several miles a day and a lot of it is management- cross the street when we see other dogs coming, doing tricks like focus/touch to get him to fixate on me, etc. A class on reactivity can do wonders for your dog- contrary to popular belief, they’re never too old to learn.

Another thing is, dogs pick up on your tension/stress, and they act accordingly. If you physically tense up when you see another dog coming, they’re going to react to that as well. Especially so if you really freak out. Trying to stay calm when you encounter something that you know stresses them out will help them out too.

I hope you and Sputnik are both feeling better!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

this dog owning thing sounds exhausting

Today I had 30,826 steps and 15.3 miles walked. I’d say all but 3 of those miles were spent walking/hiking Lando. Being a dog owner IS exhausting, but it’s more often than not the good kind of “you earned the good night’s sleep that you’re about to enjoy” type as you settle down next to a tired and happy dog.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

At my old job, I frequently interviewed college age interns for slots on my team. All of them went well and were relatively smooth and informal things, but I had one where I certainly felt like “that guy” for a part of it. We had to reschedule one candidate’s interview to later in the day, around sunset time in early winter, so the guy shows up and we go to the room slotted for us. We all took seats, and I quickly realized that i was staring into the setting sun, while my candidate was directly in front of it. I tried to gut it out and act like I wasn’t bothered by the light directly in my eyes, but as the interview went on, I could tell that my frequent squinting must’ve looked like scowling to my candidate. I eventually stopped him and told him that I wasn’t trying to big league him or try to throw him off balance, but that the sun was in my eyes and it was driving me nuts. Ended up putting on sunglasses for the rest of the interview.

We ended up selecting him, and I wrote him a letter of recommendation for the graduate program that he got into, so it all had a good ending. I hate pretentious interviewers and hope I’ll never be one.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

WHAT

https://twitter.com/TheJeffBridges/status/1088481555582996480

WHAT

WHAT

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/__alisonnicole/status/1089648738941964288

Read the thread for a bunch of thirsty dudes showing off their dad bods

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I spent the weekend relaxing in a pristine, snowy paradise, literally feeling stress slough off of me. I didn’t even make it to my desk at work this morning before I was getting bombarded with bullshit to the degree that I wanted to run screaming back into the woods.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3757384&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Soulex posted:

My "this poo poo kinda weird but also good" on Netflix

Parfum
Le Foret
Dark
Rain

All really good, but Parfum and the end? Holy poo poo.

I just started Dark last night (with the original German and subtitles on) and after one episode I’m getting a real Stranger Things meets the X-Files vibe. Atmospheric as hell.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

TCD posted:

E: Moving back to the DC area and haven't had a car in 6 years... no idea what to buy (looking at hatchback/crossover for space reasons).

Subaru Outback Sport or Crosstrek. I’ve had the former for eight years and I love mine. It’s been very reliable and was a great daily driver when I commuted; I’ve also found the all wheel drive useful when driving in snow or on crappy rural roads in VA.

Workplace rant: if I could have one wish, it would be to banish the word “kindly” from professional vocabulary. Maybe it’s my institution, but every motherfucker and their uncle uses some iteration of the word in every email. Even bitchy-rear end reminder emails will have something like “do you have any updates on the information that I am kindly requesting?” or “will you kindly do x, y and z?” or even “Kindly read this email.” Dude, I opened it already, what the gently caress do you think I’m doing?

The answer is no, shitbird, I will not kindly do anything. I will respond to your email with the information you requested, or do the task that you’re asking me to do, because I am a professional and I am getting paid money to do it. I will kindly give my fiancée a ride to the airport at 5 am or kindly help my friend move apartments because I’d like to think that I’m a nice guy- a kindly one of you will- but every time someone makes an appeal to my kindness for some sort of ask just makes it a whole lot more likely that I’m going to funnel your email to the bottom of my to-do list.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

psydude posted:

It's pretty common in the middle east.

The Salafi owner of my local corner store in Egypt was fond of drinking non-alcoholic beer as well. It was pretty funny to walk in and see him happily slugging away at one while reading the Quran.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Soulex, I just want to say that it’s been really cool and inspiring watching you grow into the photographer that you’ve become. You take some really good shots!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I love it when you have a critical need for a new employee and HR and your managers, who despite having come up from the ranks themselves, decides that their ideal candidate will have X years of experience and be a senior person in their own organization, and that they'll offer them a benefits package nowhere close to what they're getting from their parent agency and a 4-year appointment with no option for renewal. The top three applicants have all unsurprisingly rejected the job once they found it'd be a massive trade down for them, so we're likely back to square one in terms of posting the job again, reviewing candidates, and interviewing them.

Sure boss, I can keep doing the work of two people by myself in perpetuity. The past five months working without a backstopper have been a breeze, and the stress counselor that I've had to see twice definitely didn't tell me to start looking for another job myself. The entire team is thrilled that the recruitment process is such a plodding and lengthy process aimed at attracting the best candidates and then offering them complete poo poo, especially since one of my other coworkers just put in notice that he'll be out before the end of the month, which will then require the remaining team members to pick up HIS work as well.

If anyone's looking to hire an international security advisor or pay me six figures to be a stay-at-home dog dad, shoot me a PM.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

just installed the new vent hood

Ah, glad to see that the Bathroom Guy was able to repurpose the leftover joists that he had cut out.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

loving rad photos man! What do you shoot with?

I’ve always wanted to go to Morocco. My next trip is probably going to be Zimbabwe and South Africa, and I’m hoping to scheme a sojourn to Cape Town to go diving with Great Whites...

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

EBB posted:

Let me know if you want the timing changed or other flips or something. This is only 150 px, you can have up to 180.

Watching those three GIFs dance while listening to Perturbator sure was a hallucinatory and terrifying experience. One’s brain can only handle so much HOSE DRINKING before it slips into madness.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

I wish my linkedin was full of recruiting emails.

:emptyquote:

I hate job hunting and I wish LinkedIn was a bit more useful in that regard beyond its filters returning results that are in no way applicable to my career.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

:same:

Though I'm actually glad I'm not getting flooded with recruiting emails because they're usually fishy and they treat every job they have like "YOU HAVE TO loving DROP EVERYTHING AND APPLY FOR THIS NOW OR YOU'LL BE DOOMED. DOOOOOOOOOMED!"
"Can you tell me some specifics about the job?"
"NO!"

I got contacted by a recruiter (when I wasn’t actually looking) for a job that I would have been very well qualified for and sounded pretty interesting, then I got to the bottom of the post and saw that it required a strong and mature Christian faith. Hard fuckin pass there.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Yeah it does, I got a real The Thing vibe from the shots of the creature.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/Kevinliptakcnn/status/1109285870711070720

So no matter the contents of Mueller’s report: it’s all another Crooked Hillary conspiracy, so why aren’t we investigating her?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

In the meantime, I’m thinking of quitting my job to go work at REI or find some other toehold in the outdoor recreation industry.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Tired of traveling to Africa for weeks at a time?

The travel is one of the coolest parts of my job. I’ve been to a dozen countries in Africa and gotten to do interesting things and meet cool people. It’s just office politics that are making me want to move on. It’s hosed up that having been to Bangui three times in the past two years has been my best respite from lovely office politics and culture. I’m getting married later this year, and the reason why I work is to facilitate my life with my partner and Lando. I’m okay with something that facilitates more time with both; my career isn’t my life or me as a person.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i turn 35 today

im also sick in bed with something flu-like

yay

Happy birthday dude; my 35th birthday is tomorrow and I feel something coming on too. First time I’ve been sick in over a year and of course it’s on my goddamn birthday.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I think it’s time for a new av. If anyone can take the shot of the monster playing the double necked guitar from this Carpenter Brut video https://youtu.be/98DDgbtE-eU (around 27 seconds in) and turn it into an avatar sized GIF, I’ll buy you plat or kick you down some cash for a new avatar of your own.

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 27, 2019

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ok so zombies are played out to hell and back but this looks pretty funny.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

2016: What if the Joker was probably going to get MeToo'd sometime in the near future.

2019: friends and former coworkers describe the Joker as a nice boy and world traveler who never showed any signs of radicalization until he blew up a hospital, at least until it comes out that he had a half dozen complaints with HR over two months and his 4-Chan posts ends up on CNN.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Syrian Lannister posted:

It was on medical and trauma social media pages this morning, also didn't watch.

When did they start dragging out big mats for the floor routine to be used as landing pads?

I read an article about it in the Washington Post and then saw it was on North American Rescue’s page, hard NOPE’d out of that real quick. I can handle most trauma (including that now-deleted post on NAR’s Instagram of the dude crawling around with multiple compound fractures after a motorcycle wreck) but after
I blew my knee out super bad snowboarding, orthopedic trauma is a big fat loving AW HELL NO for me.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Keanu Reeves continues to loving own.

Just pretend that I quoted and bolded the whole thing.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Definitely do take CPR. I’ve been certified and re-certified more times than I can count and have never had to use it, but if it can help save a life- why not?

For the longest time, I had Magpul cases on my iPhone 4,5, and 6. Not because I was “that guy” but because they were drat good cases. My phones survived multiple falls and hard bike wrecks, but when I got my XS, I switched to a Pelican case that has worked super well for me.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Vasudus posted:

There seems to be two different types of people in social media in my industry.

The first are people that list their employer and a very generic description of their level of responsibility, barely touching on specific sector. No client details, no project specifics, no nothing. I'm one of these people but most of the people I work with are also.

The second are people that list fuckin' everything. I don't know if it's for street cred, or they're really hurting for a job, or what. Seems to be a full third of people I know with no real rhyme or reason behind it.

Like goddamn people, nobody gonna look at your profile in that level of detail. They're gonna see [employer] and whatever credentials you have and then go from there after they contact you.

I guess I’m a combo of the two. I try not to go into a ton of detail, but at the same time, I want certain parts of my qualifications (travel, training background) to stand out. I got contacted by a recruiter for a job that sounded super up my alley until I got to the part with the “must have and demonstrate a mature Christian faith.” Hard loving pass there.

Whatever the case, I need to get better at LinkedIn or networking in general because my employment situation is getting increasingly untenable. To make a long story about stupid office politics short, my new boss- a new guy hired over my old boss, who has been with my agency for years and was already doing said job in an acting capacity for months- decided that the way he was going to introduce himself to my “client” was to have me ask them for more work so he could sit in on the planning meetings. It would have been trivial for me to set up a simple introduction, but for some reason, he thought this was a good idea. This, when my team is already short staffed and I’ve been doing the work of two people for six months after my partner was unceremoniously fired.

It’s not just me feeling the squeeze, either. We have dedicated people for training and communications/internal marketing who have had amorphously defined projects dumped on them with instructions to implement them yesterday with no guidance or clear vision provided other than “this is what we told people we’d do, now do it, and no, you’re not getting any more resources or help.” Meanwhile, our sister agency has teams of 10+ people working on smaller projects whereas we have one, maybe two people doing way more.

Our leadership is ignoring clear warnings that they have a critical morale and manpower problem, and doesn’t seem to know how close they are to having a mass exodus or the next team building activity involve pitchforks, torches and guillotines. I was planning on changing jobs after I get married in October, but I’m realizing that if I don’t leave soon, I’m not gonna loving make it until then. I’m finding myself getting increasingly bitter and irritable, and there have been a couple of times when I’ve snapped at someone or my fiancée because they caught me at a bad time. That’s not me, I don’t want it to be me, so I’m getting the gently caress away as soon as possible.

You know it’s bad when you go to a stress counselor and explain your professional life, and they tell you to start looking for a new job.

Edit: quite possibly the saddest LinkedIn usage story I’ve heard is a dude (not a friend or coworker, thankfully) saying he uses it to scout out women in his industry that he’s going to try and bang at conferences.

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 18, 2019

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

The most professional satisfaction I ever had was substitute teaching during the day and delivering pizzas at night.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Just woke up with a bit of an enlarged head from the booze yesterday, but it's alright:

My old man beat cancer :)

Worth the hangover. Glad to hear it!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Excuse me, but my 5.11 polo and khakis, Oakley sunglasses with baseball cap and paracord survival bracelet lets you know that I’m equally prepared to drop some tangos as I am to drop these hot dogs on the grill.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Vasudus posted:

tired: talking to the chaplain

wired: the chaplain telling you to get the hell out of your job

This, but the stress counselor I saw a month ago.

Also, this is ice cold right here:

https://twitter.com/MENA_Conflict/status/1121888088999985154

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

El Mal is Peak Dad and he doesn’t even have any kids (beyond his wonderful Juniper).

The dadliest things that I do are defend cargo pants and brag about getting up early right before I slip into a coma at 10:00 pm.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

So most of my posting is via the Awful app so I didn't even notice that I've got this "pillbug" tag underneath my av. Anyone know what that's about?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Seeing stuff like this makes me wonder how well Matterhorn would translate to the big screen. It’s one of my favorite novels precisely because the author is so good at setting the story’s set pieces, but I wonder if that’s something that could be duplicated on a cinematic scale, or if it’s best left to the reader to draw these pictures in their brain.

Edit: oops, didn’t see that we’re on a new page.

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 2, 2019

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

In terms of bullshit feuds, yes, occasionally.

Nothing in Nashville is real country anymore. When the bombs fall, I hope they hit Nashville Music Row first.

This is tits. Pretty much my favorite country song ever. It hits every nerve in my body for pure, honest country. And you'll never hear it on the radio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM8zRjl2uLU

DBT is a national treasure and my favorite album by them- Southern Rock Opera- is a masterpiece.

Someone whipped up this cool animated video for one of the best songs on that album:

https://youtu.be/Z69gW7NFZdw

This is another great song:

https://youtu.be/bzK1ZspkjAQ

I’ve seen them play like four times and they always put on a really awesome show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

That tells me all I need to know about how safe nuclear power is.

Fortunately there are plenty of good organic/homeopathic remedies for the atomic menace; the benefits are very similar to those experienced from de-vaccination as well.