Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

504 posted:

Banging the poo poo out of the mother of my youngest.

Motherfucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Eh, A Quiet Place had some holes, Annihilation had some holes, still really decent movies.

Not as absolutely loving stellar as the buzz would suggest, but yeah

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Looks like Vice won't be available in my Munich cinema of choice for original sound movies. Bummed.

Though Glass is playing, so I might instead go for that one.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

If you've got a couple of minutes, the funny forums quotes got a chuckle out of me today. In the "Amazing Games Done Quick", some goons derailed about a speedrun of the bible

Dumb Lowtax posted:

The current fastest-moving thread on the forums just had a derail that was brief, yet of biblical proportions:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

MA-Horus posted:

Oh yes absolutely it's embarrassing as gently caress but watching these guys be like "well if you put sonic in this exact pixel location and then do a frame perfect tap and yup you've now broken the level" and then you figure out how many hours these fuckers have spent playing ONE GODDAMN VIDEOGAME until every motion is muscle memory...well, it requires a certain level of dedication.

And they raise a ton of cash for cancer research.

There's a video some speedrunner did on one of these (the first?) 3D mario adventure games, and he broke the game by exploiting the absolutely craziest and most inconspicuous tiny bug you could ever think of, and then using it to basically "create" an entirely new mechanic to abuse it. It was something about somehow accessing the parallel universe of calculations the game runs in the background to establish and maintain the position of sprites, while still actually navigating in the game. What's the craziest aspect about it isn't even that he found this bug and how he used it, it's the fact that he lays out all of his science, math, and complex geometric calculations in the video, and I couldn't look away. It was like the Matrix version of the video game universe, except absolutely nothing of it was remotely cool, and you slowly grew pimples as you were watching the video.

/edit:
Oh, gently caress me, I found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A

/edit:
It's the completion of a level in basically half a press of a single loving button :psypop:

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 10, 2019

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

EBB posted:

dont start this stupid loving argument

:lol: was there actually an argument about that In here before? Didn't think we had hardcore-enough nerds around

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

My mom asked me where her TV for the ergometer in the basement went, and I painstakingly had to convince her that it was actually my TV that I had left there when I went to the US, and I took it down to Munich after my last visit, which made her sad but understanding, which - in turn - made me feel like poo poo.
So I decided to buy a new TV after 11 years, and just return "her" TV so she could watch her favorite trash-programs while cycling.

Didn't want to go too crazy on a new model, but I wanted UHD, 100 Hz, Smart functions, the whole shebang basically, but only something around 40-43", since that was already a 10" step-up over my last one. Did a bunch of browsing online, ran through tons of customer and professional reviews, settled on a 43" model that was still within my 450 buck range. One of the two models I picked out was available at a local multimedia store for pretty much the same price (399), so I went there after work to have a look at it. Looked amazing, crisp image, great contrast, the jettest of jet black tones, perfect for me. Employee #1 tries to sell me on the 49" version of the same model, but I told him the measurements were too big for my TV stand/table and it probably was overkill for what I'm planning to use it for, and in any case, it was 485 bucks and I didn't feel like laying down almost another hundred bucks.

Employee: "Well...the 49" one is our display model, let me see what kind of a discount I could give you on that." *works magic on computer* "Looks like you could get it for 20% off, same warranty conditions."
Me: "Bullshit."
Employee: :)
Me: "You're telling me I can get the 49" version for ten bucks cheaper than the 43" one?"
Employee: :)
Me: :stare:

Me: ...
Me: :homebrew:

I just managed to set this thing up after improvising the gently caress out of my furniture setup and decided to run the highest-quality movie I had on my HD, which was Sunshine. loving blown away. Decide to look up some UHD YouTube channels, sat around for about 20 minutes marveling at displays of Dubai, Peru, Outer loving Space in 4K. Blown away even more. Set up my Netflix account on it, used the free month of UHD with my device registration, and now I pretty much gave up on everything else I had planned for the day, and am watching Rogue One in loving movie theater quality. So loving blown away what a step up in quality this is from my 2005-tier TV.

Christ, I can't even begin to imagine what kind of quality some of y'all with your 1000+-dollar-range S-UHD models are enjoying, this was already a quantum leap for me.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

This thing is so loving huge, I can barely put it into words. My first TV in my first own apartment was a 27" one, and its 32" successor already felt like an almost unnecessary luxury in upgrade after 5 years, and that was only 5 extra inches.

Now I went up a full loving SEVENTEEN inches, and this thing is taking up almost a quarter of my living room's far wall.

I'm legitimately overwhelmed with this thing. Jesus Christ, once I hook this up to my speakers...

I think I might grab a sound bar or something to go along with this thing tomorrow.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Äh yeah, I guess I could have checked with that thread to get the best bang for my buck. I looked at some OLED and QLED models, which look even stupider-gooder, but were pretty much twice my price range.

Also, I'm gonna have to re-watch so many loving movies on this thing.

It's almost like I'm watching rogue one for the first time...but better.

Probably gonna do fury road and avatar this weekend. Oh God, I'm gonna have to think of so many more high quality movies to watch in UHD

/edit. Oh my holy gently caress INTERSTELLAR

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I'm not sure if I have a problem with hooking up my PC to my new TV, or if it's the ceiling of my graphics card, but I can't adjust the resolution of the TV to anything above 1080p without it defaulting to "no signal" and my other two screens spazzing out. Weirdly enough, playing 4K HDR YouTube videos on it while it's on 1080p yields the same quality that I get when I run UHD content ON the TV via its apps, and the quality is even better than on my 24" 4K display that is hooked up via display port, which leads me to the assumption that I don't fully understand resolution concepts on screens.

Does the resolution my PC tells the TV to use when in secondary display mode only affect non-video content like my desktop, or browser windows or whatever I drag over to it? Because otherwise I have no explanation how a UHD YouTube video I drag over to it on secondary display mode has the same quality as UHD content I play on the TV itself.

I've been running my 4K screen and a 1080 secondary on this GTX 1060 6GB with no issue, and can effortlessly run games in 4K on the highest quality settings, but I can't output 4K resolution on the TV, even when I hook it up as the only output of my graphics card, and that's surprising, because I had my 24" display hooked up via HDMI without issues for several days before I bought a display port cable.

I've googled around, and worked in the "fixes" like turning on HDMI UHD Color settings for all my HDMI ports, and reconnected my cable to the proper HDMI port (because apparently, one port only supports 30Hz, while the other two support the full frequency, with the third port being the only one with HDMI audio, no change though.

I might actually have to dig through the on-device user manual.

/edit: Also, adding Arrival to my to-watch list because it's apparently up on Netflix along with Avatar and Interstellar. Gonna have to look for a proper quality version of Fury Road somewhere else

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

DoktorLoken posted:

Does anyone remember Old Country Buffet? Do those still exist?

First and only time I went to one was in 2010 in SC on a drive to Chapel Hill for a wedding. Shoveled obscene amounts of southern food into my facehole before we hit the road again. Our ride broke down 20 minutes later, and we hitchhiked our way to some tiny municipal airport that had rentals in bumfuck nowhere.

Still not sure if our consumption may have been related to the car going "lol, gently caress this, I'm out".

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

From what I've read and heard about them, they get bottlenecked extremely hard, and decent setups usually end up costing more than actually replacing your system when you're going value-for-money.

There are some niche-uses for them, but yeah, until a way is worked out to deal with the bottleneck-issues, they're pretty inefficient choices

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Welp, I'm single

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I mean, I saw it coming since NYE and have been putting the inevitability of it off while kinda trying to "steel myself" for it, but there's really nothing to emotionally prepare you for breaking up with a person you love.

On the upside, the loving pressure is gone at least

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Did some chili-related stuff as a bit of a distraction. From left to right:

Red Habanero
Purple Cayenne
White Fantasy Odd name, but a bit of a rare sort and really tasty apparently https://i.imgur.com/hwLRR2G.png
Chocolate Habanero
Lemon Drop
2 Rows of Carolina Reapers for shits 'n giggles

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Feed me decent Korean and I'd kill for you.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I cannot loving stop laughing

This is the greatest.

And he still has 3 wings left :lol:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hell's Kitchen Gordon is insufferable

That Kid Chef show Gordon is fine, because he's not putting on an act and is a human being

Hot Ones Gordon is hilarious, because he's losing the entirety of his poo poo towards the end after being the type of nervous-talker in the beginning

/edit:
I think I've now seen every episode of Hot Ones, and I don't think I've ever seen someone so frantically combat the burn while still continuing instead of quitting.

The dumbest possible thing anyone ever did on that show was Coolio (referenced in that very same Gordon Ramsay clip). He plowed through all the wings with no issue, got cocky on "the last dab", and poured half the bottle on it before devouring the entire thing.
He then spent the next two minutes slowly dying after losing his poker-face real quick-like.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jan 25, 2019

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

If we're talking crazy gastronomic-establishment-saving shows, there's this Bar Rescue episode about a pirate themed bar in the downtown business district that was - wait for it - not working out at all.

The episode is awkward as hell, and the aftermath is even funnier, because they decided they'd go back to their roots.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

DoktorLoken posted:

Imposter syndrome is a bitch. I'm cognizant of it but it still fucks with your head feeling like you don't belong or haven't earned the right to be somewhere.

Yyyyyup.

You can know about it all you want, but that voice still stays in your head.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I just watched Marie Kondo on Colbert and I was immediately convinced that she may be the nicest person on the planet.

Send her and her family off to recreate humanity in a colony ship and then nuke the earth.

So I started watching her show and immediately got annoyed that the nicest person on the planet has to coexist with flamboyantly-american Americans in reality-show mechanics on my TV.

/edit:
Okay, this already got a massive laugh out of me. Toddler nags mom, demanding boobies, mom tells toddler "we're doing boobies later, honey". Kondo asks her interpreter what that expression meant, and as the terp translates, I did a little victory dance, because I knew the Japanese word for boobs. Then I giggled like a 12 year old, because of loving course I know the Japanese word for boobs.

Gonna have to remind myself to thank a certain Masataka, the most mischievous Japanese hoodlum I met, for teaching me such valuable terms / phrases like "boobs", "dear vagina", "I intend to score very low on this examination, you buffoon", and various other incredibly inappropriate terms.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

DoktorLoken posted:

How are companies so bad at this?

Boy howdy, I'd love to share some stories

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

DoktorLoken posted:

If you live in a truly rural area or somewhere with significant hills or mountains I guess.

This is a dangerous mindset that is unfortunately common knowledge, and - even worse - it's perpetuated in the industry for market reasons. Which is even more mind-blowing considering the wide climate-range in the US, with a whole lot of states seeing a seasonal climate where M+S tires are dangerously insufficient in average conditions.

quote:

People do just fine with all-season tires in the Great Lakes region where we get heavy snow but have generally flat land.

That's also not statistically accurate, but the perception is based on the underestimation of snow tire performance vs. an overestimation of M+S tire performance. It's basically a tire Kruger-Dunning effect.
People are fine with the status quo, because the rate of accidents over the winter is "about average for the season", so no eyebrows are raised and the question "how much lower could that accident rate have been with 3PMSF-rated tires or snow tires" is never asked by regulatory agencies / consumer advocacy groups / media / etc.
The answer to that question is "a whole lot lower", but the question never comes up in the first place, because status quo.

psydude posted:

They also get better traction in cold temperatures vs summer or all seasons.

It's this, albeit massively understated. All-season M+S tires are getting better and better, in part because developers have started tightening their standards for winter performance trials, and 3PMSF-rated all-season tires are becoming increasingly more common, but no all-season tire can hold a candle to a proper winter tire, and - this is the important part - this applies to situations where there's no snow at all too.

Tread pattern is the most visible part of the tire you would assume makes a difference, but it's the tread compound that does the majority of the performance work in sub-45-degree conditions. Pliability massively decreases while rigidity simultaneously increases in all-season tires in these conditions, and while a more aggressive tread pattern will increase handling, traction, and braking performance in these conditions when there's snow involved, the tires suffer massive performance hits in ALL other situations without snow.

On a sunny, bone-dry 40-degree-day, a winter tire is the difference between being able to stop just short of the guy ahead of you in an emergency-brake situation, and rear-ending them with an all-season tire, and this gets overlooked because the perceived conditions don't make the average motorist ask the question if they could have made that stop with different tires.

While the question "how much snow does your region get?" should absolutely play a role in in the decision whether to get winter tires vs. all-season tires, the much more important question should be "how cold is it on average?", but unfortunately, that's not the case.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Y'all landowners that can keep two sets of tires go nuts, I'll be happy over here with my All-Seasons thaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks.

I don't care about the market descriptions of the tires, I know the practical limitations of the tires I have via practice. I also know via practice they work better than summer tires in the snow, and I know that they have lower rolling resistance than snow tires.

Its not about one being superior to the other, I'm just not swapping out tires twice a year and am looking for a happy medium.

If you don't have a garage to keep a separate set of tires, that's fine, and I don't know where you live, so you might be perfectly fine with all-season tires, but if you live somewhere where you probably should have winter tires, you're buying convenience for something you do twice per year at the cost of safety for an entire season, with pretty much zero financial benefit considering wear and viable life of the tires.

You're fine to do whatever you like, but my argument isn't about what you should do, it's about there being a dangerous half-truth about the discussion that is unfortunately common knowledge in the US.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Soulex posted:

Biggest event I've ever shot tonight. Landon Donovan's debut home game

album: https://imgur.com/a/RAEtEXN

The dimensions / proportions in this one are loving with my head

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Vasudus posted:

OH MY GOD THEY MAKE ALCOHOL FREE BITBURGER AND IT'S IN THE SAME STYLE BOX WITH A TINY RED LABEL

AND SOME IDIOTS MIXED IT IN WITH THE REGULAR KIND

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

edit: i thought the beer was skunked, so i looked at it and noticed the red "alkoholfrei" on it. god loving damnit.

The cutlural-relativis German in me wants to say "My condolences", but the ethno-centric German in me wants to say "Serves you right for buying Bitburger :colbert:"

Also, Netflix apparently cancelled all their Marvel TV shows, so I guess the Disney streaming service is going to be upon us before long

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

The loving license plate :lol:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I usually get up at 4:30 in the morning to have some chill time for my morning routine, a TV show or two while making breakfast and then I head off to work at 5:45.

Once I got a coffee pad machine again in my new apartment, I initially got back to my old routine of having a cup before breakfast, but I noticed I didn't really "need" it, so I usually just have one when I slept like poo poo. The capsule espresso maker that was part of the equipment in my old apartment made some bitching-rear end espresso, but the amount of waste those capsule machines generate is beyond insane. The extra cost for each individual cup isn't a big deal to me, but seriously, the amount of trash on those things, Jesus.

The upside of pad machines is that you can buy these reusable coffee compartments where you can just cram in powdered coffee, so I'm thinking of getting a coffee grinder down the line.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I had pretty much settled on leaving the tire field for good when the majority of our project didn't get the nod in the renomination process last year, and was fixed on ditching my experience and instead focus on a different project.

But it turns out that, as of today, you're looking at the new project coordinator of type licensing.

I'm so loving happy. :)

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Explaination of what that is please?

Tire and wheel combinations for all vehicles need to be set up, possibly adjusted, registered and licensed, and the remaining part of our project is dedicated to that. It's 9 people and my job is basically doing coordination and currently collaborating on tool/database design.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Evil SpongeBob posted:

I'd like some insight as to how manufacturers select tires. I assume it's some combination of vehicle use and who gives the biggest bulk purchase discount.

A number of the bigger manufacturers don't "select" tires, they develop them with the tire manufacturers for specific vehicles. VW, for example only does this for a small number of products, while Daimler does it for most, and BMW for all vehicles.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Oh poo poo, that means I have an excuse to drink the alcohols on a Sunday

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

St Patties day is almost as bad as sinko the Mayo

Don't you tell me how to drink beer in an Irish Pub run by a Bulgarian in a German city in the shadow of the cathedral of the Munich Archidiocese at 2pm, YOU'RE NOT MEIN VATER

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I just came back from the Munich Saint Patrick's Day parade, and I almost dare not say it, but it was an even more culturally bizarre experience than the countless Oktoberfests in America

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

well gimme the highlights, don't leave me hanging here

I'll crosspost

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'd post pictures, but it's pretty much the most boilerplate experience you could possibly come up with. An absolute sea of these comical Guinness top hats and the most cliché green attire overall, but having participated in Saint Paddies Day "celebrations" in the US, I was fully prepared for it. I was a little surprised that the same trend would be visible in loving Germany, but I had braced myself for it nonetheless.

What I was not prepared for was the participants of the parade themselves also being clad in the most comically-clichéed attire. I mean, there were one or two Vereine in there that seemed to have some genuine roots and did their floats / performance accordingly, but the rest was pretty "This is how I think Ireland works as per my television consumption". I can't really rag on the Vereine of performing arts, like that Jugendverein doing traditional celtic dance or whatever, nor that 50-strong pipes & drums section, because the thing they're going for is the mastery of the actual art, but the former was dancing to Amy McDonald, and the latter was playing Scotland the Brave (literally twice as they marched past the bend at the Odeonsplatz, it almost felt like every dude with a guitar playing Wonderwall at every party he goes to. Yeah, it's cool, but you know how there's more more than ONE song for the instrument?)

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Who was it that got probated in some thread and wasn't allowed to post there anymore because of that AV?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Aquaman is...certainly something.

I loving love underwater sci-fi poo poo and I was expecting my mind to be blow Subnautica-style in a hero-movie setting, and while the conceptual art of all the Atlantian stuff and the ships and gimmicks are pretty cool, the execution feels really...half-hearted. It feel like a combination of Jupiter Rising with a Michael Bay spin on it, just throw enough shiny poo poo at the audience, and they won't know what to love most. And while at least the action stuff isn't as seizure-inducing as a Michael Bay movie - and I don't know how to really put it - you never really get to appreciate the awesomeness of what you're seeing, because half of it is faced-paced as hell, and the other half seems to be implemented with super-dated CGI.

To make things worse, several parts of the movie seem like they're being produced / directed by entirely different studios / people, and some of those occasions are in scenes and settings that belong together. Like, the part where princess whatshername fights Black Manta's commandos is a really cool fight scene, and seconds before / later, you have Black Manta fighting Aquaman in what looks like a Power Rangers episode. With literal loving moves from Power Rangers villains by Black Manta...I can't tell if this is supposed to be a callback or easteregg or whatever, but it feels incredibly misplaced. Or Black Manta re-engineering his suit of armor to the quite possibly worst music I've ever heard selected for such an occasion.

On top of that, some of the lines for the actors and some are absolutely terrible. I get that some silliness and humor fine in these movies, and it kinda works in the Marvel movies, but here it just seems so out of place half of the time.

Jason Momoa is loving awesome for the role, I genuinely love me some Willem Dafoe, but the lines they're feeding them seem just super awkward.

It still manages to be a pretty decent movie, but while I'm not some cynical rear end in a top hat that doesn't like fun and shits on everything before even seeing it through, I spent half the movie thinking "Christ, this could have been so much more". And that's really what I'm left with, it could have been so much more.
I'm not even sure why I seem to have expected a lot from a Superhero movie, since I'm not really that big on them, but I guess Jason Momoa in a cool setting had me more stoked for it than I thought.

Decent watch, but bit of a letdown, really.

/edit: lol, wall of :words: to explain how little you care, good job, Dingus Funlop

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

it was me, i was kicked out of ycs for it

Remind me what the dumb reasoning behind that was again?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Handsome Ralph posted:

So I had an exceptionally good week at work after the past months parade of stupid corporate bullshit.

First we had a meeting with our unit director and he basically told us in no certain terms that while shithead VPs 4:1 policy is the law of the land as of May and that's out of his hands, but he's going to be incredibly flexible with it. Basically, make the honest effort to be in four days a week, and he won't give a poo poo if you take an extra WFH day/s whenever you need to. Also told us that he is completely fine with people coming in for core business hours and then going home and working from home the rest of the day. Which is a huge plus for me because now I don't have to leave my dogs crated for 8+ hours a day, four days a week.

Then I got asked if I wanted to meet with the product manager for the flagship product I've been dying to work on for years. Figured it was just going to be a "So here's the product, here's what the day-to-day work is like, any interest in applying and being considered?" since they are losing two home based employees and were pretty much given a blank check to get asses in seats for those positions. I went in with the mindset that if nothing else pans out, it was worth hearing out and considering.

Went in and immediately found out,
-It wasn't a feeler meeting, it was basically a meeting telling me the job is mine if I want it.
-Unit director and the non-poo poo VP that went after poo poo VP basically said to offer it to me first and foremost because they know I'm unhappy and they don't want to lose my knowledge base on one of the products I work on. It also helps that the product manager wanted me from the get go.
-Comes with a promotion (didn't see that coming), and it was a total :stare: moment for me when I was told this.
-Comes with an additional pay raise on top of what I just got. :getin:
-Current manager is fully supportive of me moving over there and pretty much told me "Yeah, I gave you the raise I gave you last week because my boss and I had a strong feeling they wanted to do this, so we figured this would help boost your pay even more if/when your promotion and pay increase come through."

Just when I thought I was out...

Legit excited though, here's to hoping HR doesn't gently caress it up somehow. Still going to take interviews and such in the meantime from outside places just in case. But god drat, did that meeting feel good.

Glückwünsche, dude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

My alma mater is apparently the second campus in the US to deploy A FLEET OF FOOD ROBOTS :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPSD5K6tMCw