Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Dad chat: I’ve spent the evening building the LEGO Saturn V rocket. Wife has been helping, stage 1 complete. How’s your holiday times working out fellow dads and moms and childless uncles? (me).

I'm insanely jealous.

It's loving great when kids are young enough that you can shop for toys just by looking for cool poo poo. Transformers, Legos, Hot Wheels...those were the days. Now my kid is 18 and in college but still lives with family so he doesn't need (or have room for) a bunch of the practical grown up stuff yet. Which means I need him to provide ideas besides books and gift cards. So I've started giving a warning: if you don't come up with any ideas, your presents will be things you would've loved 10 years ago. BAM I'm back to browsing Transformers and Legos and all that.

I came within an inch of buying the G1 Devastator set for myself for like $80. So this tactic could backfire.

Edit: Nah I'm paying off debt. No hobbies for me.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Flikken posted:

I wish Legos did combat aircraft.

And the SR-71.

They had one submitted on their website, and it got the 10k votes to be considered, and they decided against production. :(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

My 52 year old Chevy is doing ok. :shrug:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I bookmarked that page...planning to overhaul my kitchen stuff after the next move. A nicer cast iron skillet would be an excellent addition.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

just a heads up geico and usaa are both part of travelers so its worth checking out all 3

There was an insurance thread or derail in AI a while back. Geico generated a couple of horror stories that ended with (successful) lawsuits because of how bad the offered payouts were. IIRC one dude had a thousands-of-dollars mountain bike stolen that Geico offered Walmart bike value for, and another had a restored 60s Impala get totaled that they offered low 4-digits for.

Here's the thing to remember about insurance: (to a point) it's not what you pay in premiums, it's how well it protects/helps you AFTER poo poo hits the fan. My only USAA insurance experience was when I had major roof damage from tornadic storms...it was as straightforward as I could've hoped. Homeowners!=auto, though.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I’m looking to do some of that, shim. No one in town does discharge upgrades so I can definitely carve out a niche.

Also florida does have legal medical weed and growhouses near me that need help. I’m probably applying there at least in the short term.

Good luck man. Hopefully you land on your feet, and that vet angle sounds interesting. I'd double check that being weed-affiliated doesn't impact your ability to do legal stuff, whether state or federal.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 9, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Yeah my wife had a minor fender bender that did $1,078 dollars worth of damage to her new car. Our deductible is $1,000 so all USAA had to cover was 78 dollars and whatever a rental car ran for the 3 days it was in the shop getting fixed. I spent a week trying to get our agent to approve the quote the body shop offered and another week getting USAA to actually contact us with updates using the correct email address instead of the one they fat fingered in.

There is no way in hell I'd file a claim that insurance would pay $78 for. Why would you do that?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I really hope your rates don't go up drastically, or that your policy is non-renewed if anything else happens. Keep an eye on your renewal when it comes up.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Fallom posted:

Rear projection TVs are literally worth negative dollars

I bought a clearance floor model (57") at Best Buy in early 2005. In 2008 I thought it was dying because of some picture oddities that were getting worse, so I bought a 60" from Dell during one of their quarterly clearance sales...and had the same picture problem. Turns out it was the 360 and I would've known that had I done the most basic troubleshooting, but frankly I was looking for an excuse to get a thinner, lighter tv. Well, that thinner lighter tv now has about 40 white pixels and hundreds of black ones, and the picture overall is pretty dark.

The 57" beast on wheels works fine. But it's a bedroom or garage tv or something until it dies...gonna have to replace its replacement soon though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

I hear BenQ makes a good no frills monitor.

I've been using a 27" BenQ for almost 4 years, and I agree.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nystral posted:

So my dad worked at Martin Marietta and had this in his stuff that we’re cleaning out. Where would I begin to research this poo poo?

You can usually identify weapons systems like that pretty quickly with google. Just typing YAQM-127A got me the answers for that one (it's a drone that simulates an anti-ship missile, designed in the 80s).

Those cardstock-like prints were extremely common at the time. I've got a few of them stashed somewhere.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Slim Pickens posted:

What the hell, I usually see hype for new seasons like that way ahead of release. Netflix just really wants to make their marvel shows die.

I guess in two weeks we'll get the announcement that Netflix cancelled punisher, too. Then the same with Jessica Jones and the defenders.

I don't think Netflix wants them to end.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Also saw it tonight.

Holy poo poo. They did it so right, and I want him to spend the next 10 years going through and giving the same treatment to all the subjects he talked about after the credits. Anyone who hasn't seen it, take the chance when you can. It's incredible.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Make sure the candidate's seat is lower than yours.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Billie Jean was already mentioned, but always worth posting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi_XLOBDo_Y

Honorable mention for MJ's first public moonwalk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lvsBBNV-U4

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

colachute posted:

i figured colachute was a dead give away that this is a "cole parachute" account

If this subforum were intelligent it wouldn't be packed with veterans.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Probably my favorite thing that Mattis did in office was redirect that nonsense into an actual Good Thing, reactivating US Space Command (which was killed to make room for NORTHCOM after 9/11).

And Vas, just wear your horror shoes for like an hour a day until they're broken in. Bring a second pair.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

RIP crabman

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Keep going, I'm almost there...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Fallom posted:

It’s counterintuitive for FWD cars but all the shops say to always install new tires on the back for better traction and that probably applies to snow tires too.

It's true. The reasoning is that if your fronts lose traction, they might get it back. If the rears lose traction, you're almost guaranteed to be hosed. Having done a 270 on the interstate I'm forced to agree.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm done with chinese imported tires altogether. I went back to what came on the kia in the first place, a set of Kumho. They're a massive improvement over the "arizonian" brand tires I used to buy. Those cheap tires took plugs well though, usually at least two a tire before I'd consider replacing them.

Kinda miss the good ol days when I could buy a chinese tire for my ranger for $18, pay another $10 to mount and balance it. They were much more prone to spontaneous failure, but I could always afford to carry a full size spare or two all the time.

Tires are THE MOST IMPORTANT safety feature on your car. How great your brakes are doesn't matter if your tires are poo poo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mustang posted:

Any recommendations for a good/decent used 4x4 SUV or truck? Looking to get one for when I go up into the mountains but don't know anything about 4x4 cars or what their reputations for durability/maintenance are.

Are you sticking to graded dirt roads? You can get by with most of the recommendations in here. Otherwise, AWD is not 4x4. Any full size truck except the Ridgeline (which is a crossover with a bed) that has 4 wheel drive (make sure) is a good starting point. Having lockers or a limited slip differential is a plus...lockers physically lock both wheels on an axle together, so that if one is turning the other is too, while an LSD uses a clutch system to do almost as good a job. Either can provide a significant improvement in "not getting stuck." Stay away from Tacomas as mentioned, and as a Jeep owner I recommend staying away from 07-18 Wranglers as well. Old Cherokees or Grand Cherokees are fantastic, with far fewer flaws than you'd expect (and super easy to keep running forever).

Really, any of the big name trucks or SUVs would be fine. 4Runner, Explorer (not the past few years where it was a crossover), F-series, Silverado, Bronco/K5 Blazer, etc. Figuring out how many seats and how much storage space and towing capacity you might need will help you narrow it down.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

AWD is fine for a ton of stuff. But when the road starts getting bouncy, or there's a lot of slipping, or high angles, or ground clearance concerns, things go bad very quickly. AWD is often (not always) paired with suspension systems that just aren't up to much abuse. Same for their differentials. And it's almost always a lot more expensive to repair than a Dana diff or a sheared strut bolt or broken spring or axle clip. That's why the intended usage matters. I'd never take a Subaru places I took my 93 Wrangler...I was TRYING to get that fucker to throw a rod or something, but I somehow only even got stuck once in mud up to the door, but it actually worked its way out after a few minutes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

4x4 helps you accelerate/not get stuck, it doesn't help with handling or braking. That's the thing that idiots forget.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Anything important goes in an email. I want that poo poo documented.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Weird doxx, but ok.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:thejoke:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Better than my current car. :lol:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

Wtf is a fully loaded Mazda 2? Has power windows vs crank ones?

Don't knock crank windows.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Both my cars have crank windows.

On the Corvette, power windows were a $57.95 option (hefty when the base MSRP is only 4 grand). On the Jeep, it was something like $1500 for the package that included it, but I was planning to have the doors off for half the year anyway.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I should've just bought a TJ.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Did Wranglers ever get better fuel mileage or has Jeep just been cranking out the same vehicle for the last forty years but made the reliability even shittier?

I get 16 city, 20/21 highway with the 3.6L. My YJ had the 2.5L and got 13-15 tops, and had a top speed of 60mph.

The drivetrain is a fantastic design. FCA's quality control is lousy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Congrats! And good luck, that "great" surprise isn't going away for a while.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

See it. Seriously. Go.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Vasudus posted:

tfw you add up your current cash on hand to your credit card debt totals and the number doesn't have parenthesis around it anymore

gat dang

I'm within sight of this and I'm really looking forward to it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Invest in meth.

E: or bitcoin

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I usually hit McDonalds on the way to work for coffee. I realized that it's only a difference of single-digit dollars per month vs making it myself at home and frankly theirs is better most of the time.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

Honestly I think it was an issue with missing classes.

[size=1]3 classes shy of[/size]Bachelors of Science

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Spider surprise!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yep, it's good. A nice nod to Stan, another great cameo, and a few surprises. It's not in my top 3 MCU flicks, but it was drat enjoyable and really gives you a push toward Endgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Chuds are just pissed because of the above. I browse the comments on social media sometimes when I’m bored and woo boy it’s toxic. Also because it emphasizes the “her” in “hero” in the trailer. Also I don’t read comic books but I guess Captain Marvel was originally a dude? However, I guess he reincarnates into a female at some point or some such?

The trailers were WAY more about the "her" emphasis than the movie. She's a solid character, though I would've liked to see more of an arc. She's basically the same person mentally/emotionally at the beginning and end...regaining memories isn't really growth on its own, and even though she got more powerful by the end she never really lost a fight except when she got stun-gunned by the spy. Then she just woke up and didn't stop kicking everyone's rear end until the movie ended.