Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The end of your update has some errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Been another month.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I definitely appreciate the reminders. That said, this one's probably going to be a little longer, and take a little while more to do. There's a lot of sidequests, and though it takes a long time to play through - double the length of what I usually use as an update - there's not that much happening in terms of things changing in a text LP, so I'm thinking I can fit it in.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
This is another reminder.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Now that I'm no longer swamped with work and have also suddenly found myself with a significantly higher amount of free time, I think I can resume this properly!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I wish surrounding circumstances round the world were better, but the LP continuing will be cool.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Update 12: No Imminent Danger

Last time: we found the Kurvaz were holding the son of Shetland's mayor captive.

♪ Music: Brief Respite ♫

: Uh-hum, yes. It’s the same purple ship that came after us at the Davren Islands. We need to get inside it, but they know what the Asmodeus looks like. We need a plan...

: Then allow me to lend you one of our Shetland Drill Ships. I’ll tell the Kurvaz that it has the Crystal Stone onboard. That may let you get close to them without arousing suspicion.

What are the odds on this ship crashing like the last one?

: Sounds good! That gets my vote, the only vote that counts!
: I’ll get ready to go with --
: No, this’ll be easier if I go alone. No need to come along.
: Wait! If something happens to you or the medallion --
: Mayor! I’m ready whenever the Drill Ship is!
: I’ll get it prepared immediately. ...Red. please. See to it that my son, as foolish as he might he, gets back safely.
: Heh, there’s nothing to worry about! I’ll be in and out before the Kurvaz know it!

: ...Be very careful, Red.

: A rising star like me? On my way to becoming a super-ultra-cool-hunter! ♪
: Oh, man, my ol’ pop’s got no idea about me and my talents!
: ...I reckon it’s time I kicked some tail as a real Hunter! Yeah! Wonder what my first gig will be? I know what to do. I’ll just go ask that nice lady! I wonder if she’s in here...? Heh heh.
Opera: ...You know, about the Louis boy.
Kurvaz Soldier: Yes, my lady...?
: Hey! ♪ Perfect timing! They’re talking about yours truly!

: The day we agreed on to trade the brat for the Crystal Stone is almost here...
: And still no reply... The Mayor must not care much for his son.
: With all due respect, this Louis kid isn’t worth much as a hostage.
: (...What? Hostage? Me?!)
: If things stay the way they are, we’ll just have to send him on that dangerous mission after all.
: (Hyaaaah! No way no way no way! I’ve gotta r-r-r-run away!)
: Teehee. It’ll be funny to see his reaction when I tell him that! ♪
: Hmm? Who's there?!
: Hyaaaaaaaah! (runs off)
: Don’t tell me he heard everything! Aaauugh!! Get that rascal back here at once!
: Yes, my lady!

We now take a break from this exciting drama to do everything but go save Louis. He's not in any danger or anything, after all.

And as you can see, we've a lot to do. But first...

We pop over to this hidden passage in Spinon, on the other side of the Crystal Stone area.

There's three (!) pictures down here, though you have to wonder how they're not getting hurt by the steam. That doesn't apply to us, of course.

And over in a hidden room I missed before, there's two more.

We're making headway on our collection, though I think I'll need to head back into the mine again later. As a side note, I've been picking up a good number of P Crystals, and my current availability looks like this:

More crystals unlocks more shapes, which I so far haven't used.

: So this is an exhibition match against monsters?
: That’s right. You’ll need to think about how you fight them. They aren’t like other fighters.
: Who do you think you’re talkin’ to? I’ll defeat any opponent, man or beast!
: That’s why you’re the best, kid! Now go and get ready.

: You two again. What brings you here?
: You can’t tell me you’ve forgotten! You promised to become one of my men!
: Brave Sir Red, we are here to see you in action once again! ♪
: Umm... Sure, y-yeah!
: Red! If you are to become one of my men, prove your strength!
: I never actually agreed to that, you know.
: Oh? Starting to get cold feet? That is not how real men travel the path of life!
: ...You asked for it. I’ll show you everything I’ve got.
: I’ll start with Something simple. I want to see a triple mid-air combo!
: That’s TOO simple! Just you watch!
: Round one is about to get underway.
: I’d better get out there.
: Remember. A triple mid-air combo.
: Yeah, I remember!
: I’m so very looking forward to this!

: The exciting exhibition match that you’ve all been waiting for has arrived! Today’s fighter will take on a variety of monsters! Can he survive their brutal onslaught?! Round one is about to start! Let the bloodshed... Begin!

: The one and only... The lone robot rider! RED!
: Ta-dah!
: Red! Don’t forget!
: I know! I’ll show you a triple mid-air combo!
: Wo-h! Is that a self-imposed rule I hear?! If Red fails to perform a triple mid-air combo, he will lose!

I swear these referees are just listening waiting for the chance to jump on these.

: Bring it on!

: Round one... Ready... GO!

Overall, this is not exactly hard. Triple mid-air combos are the bread and butter of fighting.

: That's your combo right there!
: ...I did think maybe that was a little too easy.

Last time we fought this, it was basically ungrabbable. This time it is, and is ridiculously easy. If you actually had upgrades, it'd be even easier.

: We have our winner! Round one goes to... the lone robot rider, RED!
: Perfect! As always!
: Red! ♪ Most impressive! ♪
: Grrr...... Princess! Please contain your excitement over such a minor feat!
: I would have been more surprised if he failed that simple task!

: Oh yes, you were wonderful.
: But no better than I expected. Still a child compared to me!
: Just you wait and see, then. I’ll show you!
: Well said. Then defeat your next opponent within one minute!
: Okay! Just you watch me!
: Round two is about to start.
: Here we go. I’d better get ready.

: Round two is about to start! May the best fighter win!

: The one and only! The lone robot rider, RED!
: It’s me!
: And I’m gonna win within one minute!
: As expected! Another self-imposed rule! So you are willing to accept a defeat if you do not win within one minute?! Yes?!
: That’s what I said!
: Not again! Red! You get no supper if you lose, okay!
Audience: You heard her, Red! Win or starve!

: Round two... Ready... GO!

So this might theoretically be difficult, but I'm high enough level that it's not an issue. The time limit is more the issue than actually winning, so bulldozing your way through is the way to go. As long as you can get even a bad set of throws going, you can do enough damage to start taking them out. Unlike the previous time I fought them, they don't spawn mini rats and actually can be grabbed quickly, so that makes it easier too. I finish with 0:28 on the clock and still over half my health.

: We have our winner! The victor in round two... The lone robot rider, Red!
: No match for me!
: Sir Red! ♪ Absolutely wonderful! ♪
: ...He has a truly honed battle sense... With him my knights could be invincible...!

: You did indeed make it look easy. I may have underestimated you.
: The final round is about to start.
: ...Here we go. How about making the last one really tough?
: Then let me see if your confidence is the real thing!
: Red! Defeat your enemy without taking any damage!
: Not even a single hit...?
: Where is your confidence now? I could do this with my eyes closed!
: I never said I couldn’t do it. This’ll be simple.

: What drama awaits us next?!

: The one and only! Lone robot rider, Red!

I always wonder how many lines he can come up with before he runs out and has to start reusing some. Can't deny they keep getting more creative, though.

: Oh yeah!
: I’m not going to take a single hit during this entire duel!
: ...Wow! This is amazing! The impossible perfect declaration! This is the Red we have come to know and love! Taking it to the next level again!
: Are you sure about this, Red? You’ll lose if you get hit once!
: Don’t worry. I can handle this.

: Final round... Ready... GO!

Let's see how this goes!

: Oh no! I took some damage!
: Because you let your guard down! You imbecile!

Not well. I see this screen quite a few times before I win.

So this is basically the entire fight. Not too hard once you're ready for it, but it's easy to get caught off guard by either the drop or the rock-hurl the first time you see them. Since you also can't throw the enemy, going for that might throw you off just enough to take some damage.

: We have our winner! Just as he declared, a perfect victory! The lone robot rider! Our winner... RED!
: Phew... I wasn’t sure what was going to happen for a moment there...!
: Me either...
: As wonderful as always! ♪
: Well, well... so he cleared that one too... Interesting! Very interesting!
: Oh, Cyan? Where are you going?

: Red! How about claiming victory AFTER you have defeated me?
: What...? Don’t tell me now I actually have to fight you?
: That’s what I’m telling you!
: Ladies and gentlemen, this is incredible! A new challenger has extended the match!
Audience: More! We want more!
: Mr. Promoter, are you okay with this?
: (Keh keh... first self-imposed rules and now a sudden new challenger?! This is gold! GOLD!)
: Of course! So right ahead!
: Then it looks like we’re going right into a special match!

: The rising star! Red wings that thirst for freedom! The one and only. The lone robot rider, RED!
: I’m gonna kick some tail!
: Aah... Princess Theria! Protecting you is all that he lives for! A Knight from the Prairie Kingdom! The guardsman of the Princess! Cyan Garland!
: Durandel and I shall beat the true way of a knight into you!
Audience: Oi! Durandel?! That’s MY robot!
: Allow me to borrow it, kind sir!

: You don’t need to tell me twice.
: Special match... Ready... GO!

Overall, Cyan has one trick - an incredibly slow swing. However, the crowbar has long range, and the hit arc is actually quite good, plus he rotates to face you as he charges the swing. Trying to circle around will only really get you hit. So you have to bait out the swing, pull back, then quickly dash in for the grab. Starting the grab from behind him is the most reliable way, but if you're quick enough you can get it from the front as well. If you bump into him while charging, though, it disrupts his wait time, so you'll have to wait for another chance.

: We have our winner! Here he is, the victor in today’s unprecedented special match! The lone robot rider! His name... RED!
: Wonderful, Sir Red! ♪ Congratulations! ♪
: That’s your final-challenge right there!
: I am ashamed... but... you have indeed become strong...
Audience: Oh no... my robot...! My robot!

: Thank you!
: Huh...
: You fought well too, Cyan. Are you all right?
: Ooh...! Princess, that you should worry about me...!
: But you are okay, right?
: Of course! I don’t need you to speak for me!
: I am relieved to see you not seriously hurt. Come now, Cyan, it is time for us to depart.
: Yes, m’lady! ...But wait! What about Red becoming one of my men?
: I fear Sir Red is not one to be confined by the boundaries of a single country.
: I do need my space.
: I am already looking forward to the day we meet again, Sir Red. Take care of yourself!
: I shall give up for now, then...
: But come and find me any time you want! I shall be waiting for you in Prairie! Farewell!

: They sure do stir things up, those two...
: Anyway, four fights in a row has sure worn me out. I’ll grab the fight money and get out of here.

: It’s not every day we see a sudden special match like that, either!
: I didn’t exactly arrange for that to happen, you know...
: But it wouldn’t have happened without you! Here’s your fight money.
: I can’t wait to see what craziness you attract next!
: Thanks! I think...?

That gives us 1000 Rings and 2 rank points.

Our next stop is Airedale.

6: ♪ Music: Air in Airedale ♫

: The famous warehouse cleanup contest, huh.
: Please go and see the Merchant in the Residential Area in the East Ward.

: Yeah! But I’ve never paid much attention to it before. What exactly is this thing?
: Simple! A contest to determine who can carry the most containers the quickest! If your total time in the three warehouses is within the time limit, you’ll win prize money.
: Set a big record and you’ll get bonus prize money and a chance to become a carrying hero!
: Sounds fun, actually!
: If you are ready to take part, you can head right over to the first stage.

: The season for warehouse cleaning is here again! The tournament that decides who is the fastest container carrier!
: Who will dominate the warehouses of Airedale?!
: The tension is mounting!
: I’ll start by explaining the rules! Observe the containers!
: All of the containers that you see here... Must be placed on each of those plates in order to clear each stage! Three stages will be performed, with the aim to get the fastest total time possible! Note that the number of containers in each stage is different! Take longer than the time limit, and you’ll lose! So you must move quickly!♪
: So without further ado! Allow me to introduce our next contestant!
: Here he is! For the first time ever. The lone robot rider, Red!
: That’s me!
: How are you feeling, Red? Confident? Feeling good?
: You bet! Nothing can stop me!
: Look at that confidence! You would hardly think this is his first time taking part! Then without further ado... Stage One...
: START!

I'll save you the general layout. There are 3 stages, time to beat is 1:30. If you beat the time, it becomes the new time to beat. So if you want to farm money, you technically want to do it 1 second less each time, but really, that's too much effort.

The actual trick to the third stage is that as long as you get the first box, even if you screw up the second jump you can use the first box as a foothold to get to the second one. You don't actually have to succeed in both jumps. I complete in 50:21 thanks to a few mishaps, but I think you can manage at 35 seconds even with no mobility boosting gear.

: He moves like lightning! The lone robot rider, Red!
: That’s me! I knew I could do it!
: Congratulations! Red takes the prize money!

It's 700 Rings for beating the top score, so an extra 200 Rings.

: Most impressive, Red. Congratulations!
: Thanks!
: You look ready for another stage... but this marks the end of today’s competition! We’ll be looking forward to your next challenge, and an even faster time!
: See you again soon!

: It was fun! I’d like to give it another try, actually.
: Well, you can challenge this contest as many times as you like. Just take it on again from the Quest Broker to challenge again!
: Okay! Got it!

As is standard, no point award for a repeatable quest.

Slowly stashing for this silly part with the highest Mobility boost in the game that I'm aware of. Probably not worth giving up all the other parts for it.

♪ Music: Skies of Davren ♫

Next up: Davren Islands.

: Please go see Julie, who works in the café, for more details.

: Great!♪ Thank you for helping me out. We don’t have much time, so I’ll explain this quickly. Listen carefully!
: Okay.
: This pie needs to be delivered to a patrol ship flying close to the border. Please fly using your robot to deliver it while it is still hot! Also, I need to ask you to use our delivery parts while you deliver it for us.
: Why?
: It will be good advertising for our café!♪
: I get it... No problem!
: One last thing - if you take too long and the pie gets cold, you won’t get paid. Are you all ready?
: Yes! I’m all ready to go!
: Good. Here you are.

Freshly Baked Pie Received.

: Ow. That’s hot!
: Heehee. I told you didn’t I?
: It looks good, too.
: Of course it does! This is our most popular pie. Don’t go taking a bite, either!♪
: H-Hey, I’m a professional. I would never do that!

: The patrol ship is up ahead. I’ve set a timer to make it easy to understand how long you have. The target time is 01:45! Deliver the pie within that time and everything’s okay!♪
: Right!
: The faster you are, however, the more pleased the customer will be. Now off you go!♪

So yeah, it's more Air Robo time. I think the time you need is 1:30 to get a new fuselage, but I miss it by 7 seconds. If you actually mess up, it's not too hard to fail the time limit. 1:30 is pushing the limits of what you can reasonably do, so you pretty much have to make no mistakes in a run to hit that. I'm not sure you can do it without the ability to drift. It's included below for anyone who wants to watch it.

:siren: Air Robo Pie Delivery :siren:

: Phew, I made it within the time limit. The pie is still warm.

: Ah! Over here. I’ve been expecting you.
: Here’s the pie you ordered.

Piping Hot Pie Delivered.

: It looks hot and tasty. Let me try a bite... ooh! Huff, puff! It’s obviously isn’t straight from the oven, but it is still hot and tasty!

: That’s good to hear!♪
: But I think I could do it faster...
: Good work, anyway. Here is your payment.

700 Rings Obtained!

: Well, if it’s okay with you, would you like to make another delivery? In the near future, that is.
: Yeah! Any time you need me!
: You’re a big help!♪ If you feel like delivering again, just sign on at the Quest Broker.
: Okay! I will!

Another repeatable quest, so it gives you no rank points.

Our last quest is in Shetland, and it's non-repeatable this time.

: Ah! You’re here to work, are you? Thanks! The mine is back here. I’ll need you to finish the job in one go. You ready to start now?
: I’m ready!
: Okay!

: It was thought that this part of the mine was all mined out. But a recent survey has revealed that there are still minerals sleeping here. However, without some solid proof I’ve been unable to get the men to work it.
: So that’s why you posted the job.
: That’s right. Take a look over there.

: You need to use that drill to mine minerals from the rocks! Then toss the minerals into the container there.

: Once you are finished in this room use the cart to move to the next chamber. Total of four areas that need to be mined. It might take a while, but hang in there!

Pretty straightforward - apply drill to rocks.

: That’s it! That’s the mineral. Pick it up and put it into the container.

There's two rocks in this room that need to be mined.

: Looks like this chamber is all mined out.
: Great! Take the cart through to the next area.

There's also some explosive crates, for some reason...

: Break things up with that drill! But don’t break the minerals.
: Mine time!

This room has three rocks that need mining.

: Good work! You’ve finished in there too. Head onto the next chamber.

: You need to use the bombs to destroy those rocks!
: Bombs?
: There should be two back in the previous chamber. Bring them through.
: I did see two boxes back there.
: I’ve marked the spot to place the bombs for you! Once you’ve set them use the switch to detonate them.

You also have to murder some rock-throwing moles first.

: Yeah! Perfect! Now hit the button and blow those rocks to bits.

: Uwaaaah?!
: ...Oh dear.
: That’s it? ”Oh dear”? You used far too much gunpowder!
: You almost blew me up too!
: Dah hah hah! No need to get so upset! You’re still alive right? Anyway, you know what to do. Start picking the minerals up!

And this is why they want Hunters to do it, aka the outside help they don't have to pay worker's comp for.

: I’ve finished collectin’ them.
: The next room is the last. You’re almost there!

: Hey, there are a lot more rocks in here. Is this really the place?
: Oh... the way through to the next chamber has been blocked.

: Move those rocks somehow and get the bombs from the next chamber.
: The Dahak should be able to lift these fallen rocks.

So in addition to the mole enemies, there's also falling rocks from the ceiling every time you enter. I think you can just grab the boxes and run, but I murder everything out of spite anyways.

: Now just hit the switch and enjoy the fireworks!
: (Fireworks... this sounds bad...!)

One explosion later...

: Ugyaaaah!
: ...Oh dear me.
: That’s it? ”Oh dear me”? You definitely used too much gunpowder!
: I thought I was gonna get buried alive!
: I guess I messed the calculations up. Glad it didn’t bring the whole place down!
: Easy for you to say!
: Gah hah hah! Don’t worry about the details. You need to be worrying about... HOLD IT!
: What now?
: There! Right there! That mineral!

: What about it?
: T-That’s Glitterock! It’s impossibly rare!

So does this mean we get paid more?

: Glitterock? Some sort of precious mineral?
: Precious hardly does it justice! You could buy three islands with what you see right there!
: S-S-Seriously?!
: You’ve made a name for yourself today, son! Get that into the container.
: No problem...!

Some stuffing later...

: All done!♪
: Gah hah hah! What luck! I never expected to find such riches!
: I guess it all worked out, then... hold on?!

The room starts shaking.

: Uwaaah! What now?!
: Ugah! An earthquake! Get out of there! We’re leaving!
: (This earthquake... I bet those explosions caused it...!)
: Hey! Are you listening to me? Get back up here!
: ...I’m runnin’.

Red is just so done with this poo poo.

: Somehow.
: And we found the Glitterock too! We’re gonna be busy now!
: ...I bet.
: Oh, come on! Cheer up! Here’s your reward.

1200 Rings Obtained!

: You said that Glitterock is worth enough to buy three islands, right?
: I’m thinkin’ maybe my work down there is worth a little more?
: I’d like to pay you more, I sure would! But I’ve got debts worth about three islands! You’ll just have to accept what I can afford.

Why do you think he couldn't afford worker's comp?

: Sounds like I don’t have a choice.
: I’ll call on you if I need more help, anyway.
: ...So long as you’re more careful with the gunpowder next time.
: I’m never gonna live that one down, am I? Gah hah hah!

This gives us 2 rank points, leaving our total:

Next time, we'll get back to the main plot. Hope Louis is still alive!

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 30, 2020

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
Glad to have this back!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You are missing an emoticon when Red blasted some rocks in the mine.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

You are missing an emoticon when Red blasted some rocks in the mine.

Fixed, thanks!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I want justice for nameless audience member's robot.

Cyan, theft of other people's robots is rude unless you are a protagonist :colbert:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Section Z posted:

I want justice for nameless audience member's robot.

Cyan, theft of other people's robots is rude unless you are a protagonist :colbert:

Hey now.

People named Cyan stealing robots is a time-honored tradition! :v:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

BisbyWorl posted:

Hey now.

People named Cyan stealing robots is a time-honored tradition! :v:
Ah, but he IS a protagonist! Therefore it's fine :pseudo:

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

So this is where I remember I suck at figuring out time in pandemicworld.

I intend to continue and certainly did not intend to let this sit for two months. Just as soon as I remember to transcribe all the stuff. Thus far, every time I remind myself to start working on it, I look at my clock and found another week's passed.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Glad to have this back.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
We could use more doggos piloting mechs, thanks for doing your part.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Update 13: The Best Laid Plans...

It's been a while. Hope Louis is still fine!

: Smooth sailing so far. Now I just need to get inside...
: Open sesame!

: Heh heh heh! Like clockwork! Now that I got through the hard part...

: You’re the one from Shetland?
: Ah, well, yes and no. I mean, I came from there, but I...
: You’re a spy! Who exactly are you?!

Well, at least their security is reasonably competent.

: (Bah! I’ve blown my cover already?!)
: Ah well! This way is more my style, anyway! Bring it!

Standard battle that alternates between missiles and drones.

: Okay, so NOW the hard part is out of the way!
: That Kurvaz guy... He’s gone already, huh. Those guys sure can run.
: Looks like it’ll take some good old fashioned leg work to find Louis, then!

How do you even run from a ship floating in midair, anyways? Anyways, one room over...

: Intruder sighted! Seize him!
: Haha! How ’bout I seize you!

You can sort of see it, but they're off to the sides of the bridge and will shoot missiles at you. Which really just means they give you free ammo to throw at them. The second one pops up immediately after to try and stab you with its tail, but doesn't even get off an attack. And then a third one. And then another missile-shooter. On one hand, them coming in slowly makes it easier to kill them, but the way the area is closed off actually makes it easy for them to damage you a bit.

We also run into a new "enemy" which will show up a lot in this area, this spinning blade trap. You can just jump over it, but with fast enough button mashing (or actual upgrades in Hydraulics), you can pick it up and throw it like any other enemy.

: Two doors.

: The top one says Main Engine Room, the bottom one Sub Engine Room.

Also another new trick, where they block your way with a spiky wall before lobbing grenades at you over it. You can't get past it, so you just have to catch the grenades and chuck them at the wall to destroy it, before dealing with the enemy behind.

Also these turrets that fire rockets at you, with two of them slowing your way up the stairs. When you check the door to the lower door, the Sub Engine Room:

: Figures... it’s locked.

However, on the way to Main Engine Room:

I try entering the code on a whim (since you get 3 options for each digit), and trying 135:

: Piece of cake!

It's only 200 Rings and 2 P Crystals, but we'll be back here later (when we're actually supposed to come here).

Just showing off the engine room, but I don't think you can even really fail this platforming section. It'll just slow you down - overall, the game is quite easy.

: He might be hiding in one of them. You’ll have to search them all!

Of course, a second after saying that I lose 20% of my health in a random fight. I make light of the enemies usually, but the timing is kinda tight when you're running with no upgrades. In a side room:

: Down the stairway that leads to the Main Engine Room. I think.
: I’ll take it, then. Might come in handy later.

Sub Engine Room Key Obtained!

As though he doesn't take anything not bolted down, anyways. In the other identical room:

: You! Where’s Louis? If ya don’t tell me now, then I’ll force you.
: Umm... I don’t know. One of the guys mentioned something about a hostage, but I don’t know.
: ...What? You’re not putting up much of a fight?
: I’m not on duty today, you know. I was about to take a nap, so I don’t really feel like fighting. Anyway, this job doesn’t pay enough, heh, you know...
: ...Maybe you need to think about a new career?

And in the last room:

: Where’s Louis?!
: Y-You’re the intruder?! I don’t have time to fight you right now!
: What do you mean?!
: The little punk escaped from the ducts the second I turned my back. I need to find him.
: I got an idea. How’s this... Do me a favor and say he was able to escape ’cause you attacked me!

Maybe you should pay your people more, Opera...

: You are out of your mind! Whatever! Where’d he run off to?!
: The radio said they just saw him in the Sub Engine Room!

So that's where we head.

: Time to use that key I found...
: Great! It’s open!

After another walled-off grenadier, there's another 3-digit lock. I'm too lazy to brute force my way past this one.

After getting past this room (you don't even need to deal with the enemy in the middle, you can just avoid the attacks):

Louis escapes.

: Why you pesky little...!

: ...It’s too cramped in there! Ow, my head!

: So close! Missed him by a second!
: Now what do we do? He could be anywhere...
: Argh! Back to square one!

Well, you might recall the room we weren't supposed to be in had a vent. So on our way there:

: Your shenanigans end here, intruder! Surrender!
: I’m in a hurry, chump! Don’t try to stop me!

Better to deal with his rapid missiles than leave him around, so I quickly beat him first. No idea if he still spawns if you don't kill the previous enemy in this room.

: The intruder’s in the Sub Engine Room! I’ll just ambush him here. The rest of you proceed to the ballroom and capture the hostage!
: Aye aye, sir!
: Ran away to the ballroom, did he?! Thanks for the heads up!
: You intruder!

He goes down quickly.

: Guess I better get to the ballroom. But I’m impressed...
: Little punk’s doin’ a great job of giving the Kurvaz and me the runaround!

: !!
: Perfect. I’ll take them out along with the engine so they panic.

This time, there's no enemy to beat. You just have to throw the drones at the engine until it explodes.

ChocolatShout: There you go getting carried away again! The ship’s going down!
: Then I’d better make sure I find Louis before that happens!

The ship shakes.

This is the point at which I realize during editing I forgot to go and try and crack that second door. Hopefully it wasn't too relevant, though I recall you can spot Louis escaping through the locked rooms as you go.

: This totally sucks! I gotta get outta here!
: Shoot! I’m back to where I started!
: Hold it, kid! I’m here to rescue you!
: What? Seriously?!
: Not if I can help it!!!
: !

♪ Music: Spiral Nightmare

: Whoa! Crazy!
: Even for a little boy, you’re quite the mischievous one.
: Misbehavior can’t go unpunished! I’ll teach you proper manners!

♪ Music: Decisive Battle

:siren: Boss: Opera :siren:

Right. This boss. Probably the worst boss to go into with no upgrades, especially Hydraulics. If you're playing this for yourself, that's the one to upgrade. You can get along without the others fine, but Hydraulics makes breaking the game much more efficient. Her patterns aren't really that complicated, but they're tricky to deal with when you can't grab things quickly. The main problem is that because she's floating, you can't touch her.

Opera shoots a beam after charging. She'll try and hit you with it, but it's easy enough to dodge. Later on, she starts firing in quick succession, but you just have to keep moving around, and the odd dash should keep you safe.

She deploys four mobile mines, and drops them on your field one at a time, moving up to two at a time later. The problem is that they start triggering when you get close, so if you don't have enough Hydraulics to grab them quickly before they go off to hurl them back at her, you're going to have to mash the button fast or eat damage. This, as a side note, is also your only way of damaging her.

Once she gets low enough, she start sweeping the field with the beam, homing on you constantly. You can hop it, or better yet, jump and pinwheel madly to stay above it. Higher Mobility will definitely help this, but it's not too bad to dodge it even at 0 upgrades on that.

Way more damage than I'd prefer, but worked out in the end.

: Kyaaaaah! You’ll pay for this!
: That was close! Now I just need to grab Louis and...

:siren:

Announcement: Emergency! Emergency! Abandon ship at once! Repeat...
: Time’s up already?! Hey! Kid!
: Me...?
: Now’s our chance to escape! Hold on tight to my robot!
: Y-yes, sir!

♪ Music: Cosmic Stylings

: Close call? Do you realize the danger you were in?!
: It’s okay, EIh. I’ll give Red a good mouthful later.

: ............
: ...Sorry.
: He--y! Why do I gotta stay in the hangar all alone?!
: Quiet, kid! You’re the one who started all this trouble!
: For the time being, you should stay there and think about it while we head to Shetland!
: Ughhhhhhh...
: The pot calling the kettle black. (Chuckles)

: ...Hey, Pops. I’m home...
: Louis! Just wait ’till I get my hands on you! (THUD!)

: Ow! I barely got back alive and that’s the welcome I get?!
: No talking back! You’re really gonna get it later!
: Aaauugh!
: Thank you so much, guys! How can I ever repay you?
: I almost never got to ”discipline” this moron ever again!
: ...Oh... Pops...! I’m sorry... so sorry...
: .........
: May I ask you something? It’s about the Crystal Stone...
: The Stone...? Well, I know I can trust you. Okay then. Actually, I have it in the house.
: Eh? I thought it was in the mine?
: Heh heh heh. I’ll bring it for you now. Just wait a moment...
: Here’s the Crystal Stone. It’s a family heirloom.

♪ Music: My Distant Blade

: ...That’s the same pattern on your face as I saw back in Spinon!
: Yes, the Nono is reacting. Which means, this is authentic.
: That pattern... can it be...?! So my suspicions were correct. You are a Paladin.
: Why do you know that?!
: My distant ancestors, together with the Paladins... ... made a vow to protect the Crystal Stones at all costs.
: Why go through all the trouble to protect these stones?
: Ancient legends say that he who collects all the stones... ... will be endowed with the Power of Disaster.

Ancient legends, check. Appropriately ominous name, check.

: Disaster... ? Meaning...
: Lares, most likely.
: There are said to be 3 Crystal Stones in all. This is one. Normally, we are forbidden to even show the Stone to anyone. However--- A Paladin is definitely an exception. If you are in need of it, please take it, it is yours.

Crystal Stone Obtained!

: ...I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
: With Spinon and Shetland checked, where’s the last remaining Stone?
: If the ancient legend is true, the final Stone...

♪ Music: The Master ♫

: Hummm... all very well.
: But why is the Crystal Stone of Shetland not in my hands!
: According to my reports, that little annoyance has already obtained it.
: He has...? I see...
: Imbeciles! You are ”Special Ops”! I’d hardly call any of your recent contributions ”special” at all!
: You almost lost the Royal Envy, too! What do you have to say?
: Only that you have my deepest apologies.
: Then get that Crystal Stone back! And the one from Basset too!
: A vord if I may, Your Excellence. Allow ME to retrieve zhe Stone! Zis little princezz and her goonz are deztined to fail you again.
: How dare you...! As if your brute force, trigger happy methods get any job done!

Reminder that this is the guy who nearly bombed his own ship to try and hit Red before being restrained by his own men.

: Hah! Now listen up, cutie pie...

: Enough quibbling!
: The Royal Envy is under repair. Grumpf, YOU shall go.
: I vill not fail you, Guild Master! Gah heh heh!

Next time, we'll see how well our mad bomber does at this job.

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jun 28, 2020

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Since the forums apparently aren't melting down, I thought I'd get back on track.

Also a good time to have a poll, expecially after that last boss. I've been fumbling around with absolutely no upgrades thus far, and that's not great in certain fights. Should I keep on with that as long as I can, or move to utterly breaking the game over my knee?

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Cyouni posted:

Should I [...] move to utterly breaking the game over my knee?

Oh yeah! Please do!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I say go with what'll make playing most fun for you, whether the no-upgrade challenge, total breaking or anywhere in between.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I say go with what'll make playing most fun for you, whether the no-upgrade challenge, total breaking or anywhere in between.
Yeah, for me the mechanical bits of "if you combine part X with part Y you become Superman" are just about as fun as watching someone go to town with the starter gear and break the game open that way. Play the way that's more fun for you.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Louis can really move when he needs to.

Also, I wonder how far into the game we are if Opera is actually a boss instead of just standing around being smug 24/7.

At the very least, Take whatever upgrades make you hate yourself less

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Break. The. Game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Section Z posted:

Louis can really move when he needs to.

Also, I wonder how far into the game we are if Opera is actually a boss instead of just standing around being smug 24/7.

At the very least, Take whatever upgrades make you hate yourself less
It sure looks like the game is starting to reach endgame now that we are fighting the upper tier villains and IMPORTANT PLOT ITEM is almost all collected. Or maybe it is the update cycle taking so long...
Take your upgrades and not increase your health.

There is a missing portrait of angry Red after the brat gets returned to his dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

There is a missing portrait of angry Red after the brat gets returned to his dad.

Fixed, thanks.