Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I actually like the dry, less-sweetness of Diet sodas usually. The only real bad "mainline" soda, to me, is diet Pepsi.

I'm with you on the sugar. Gives me "fuzzy teeth" feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Queen Combat posted:

RIP

I do la croix but I'm also under no illusions that it's anything other than fizzy water waved in the direction of a lemon. Do you have any plans for a replacement, or is it gonna be cold turkey?

Cold turkey. I know my willpower, it's a lot easier to stay cold turkey and be upset by occasional lapses than have one 'now and then' and be upset with occasional full-on binges.

Also, my main objection to diet sodas is that I'm noticing that the artificial sweetners gently caress up my sense of taste fairly strongly due to just how sweet they are. I'm drinking too much of it anyway, going to go back to getting a little caffeine from tea and coffee, and just slamming water.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Well, going to put an xmas present in the fridge so I can try one tomorrow after work.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

The food poisoning hit me at noon. I’d been feeling cold and sluggish and stupid all morning, but it wasn’t until lunchtime that I knew why. I puked and shat and sat and stared at the bowl and wiped little flecks off my face. I chewed and spat out a Tums to soften up the acid on my teeth, rinsed myself off in the shower, and then I laid down and slept for an hour and a half.

At 2, I got a text from my son’s preschool that he had pulled a bunch of poo poo out of his diaper and rubbed it all over himself and the walls. $50 cleanup fee and I needed to get him right. now. I took a moment to expel some yellow fluids my body was no longer interested in containing, took another to try and hold down two sips of flat La Croix, and packed a bag full of wipes, bath towel, and kid clothes.

I stopped on the way to grab two bottles of Gatorade, running on the autopilot I’d developed when my drinking was really, really bad. When I arrived, he was fine (he hadn’t tried my pork last night), but crusty, with a poo poo smell that I could barely handle, and he needed to be comforted, so I hugged him, trying not to show the teacher how unsteady I was, feeling that drunk’s instinct to hide daytime aftereffects.

When I got him home, he immediately launched into a tantrum, because he’d been stressed out and missed his nap. I rarely have to do this, but I had to wrangle him into the bathtub, stripping him of poo poo-smelling clothes, while he screamed and shoved at me and tried to slam his head into the tub.

I kept talking gently with him about his bath colors and toys and eventually found something that engaged his attention and he willing sat in the water and it was only just about being a nauseated dehydrated wreck again, while parenting a toddler alone. I had three thoughts:

1. Years of hangovers have prepped me so well for food poisoning. It’s like the same thing.

2. That said, food poisoning beats the gently caress out of getting drunk and being hung over. I think I’d rather eat tainted meat all day long than drink liquor. I didn’t have a blacked-out night of shame, I didn’t waste tons of money, I didn’t damage any relationships.

3. The benefits of this poo poo don’t stop when January ends. Always-tired miserable drinking-problem me would’ve been overwhelmed by all this stuff. Bring on dry February.

Steely Dad fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 1, 2019

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Sorry if that’s a bunch of gibberish. I’m a little dehydrated and loopy right now.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Not at all. Bring on dry Feb.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh god, food poisoning. You and I differ on that, I'd far rather have a 3 alarm hangover over food poisoning any day. I don't think I've ever been as miserable in my life when I literally couldn't leave the can for the better part of a day because I couldn't make it the 15' feet from the bed.

That said, not being hungover is kind of nice. Not having to plan my TKD classes around my alcohol intake is something I can get used to.

We'll see tomorrow. Either way, I am happy with myself not having so much as a drop since NYE.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So got into the whisky a bit tonight. Sadly never touched the Polish beer, probably 6-7 highballs while watching the first 3 Grand Tours of this season with the Mrs. Just...not....feeling it. If I can sleep OK I think I'll be hitting the club at noon and sweating this out. I doubt I'll stay dry, but I genuinely think I'll be drinking less. If I'm not enjoying it....why? I suspect getting together with a few friends might be different, but mellowing out at home just isn't as good as I remember.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Had a shot of whiskey last night while doing the dishes, but I was able to stop at that and leave the last little bit of whiskey in the bottle.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Woke up this AM. lovely sleep, but not alcohol related. No sign of a hangover whatsoever that I can tell which sort of surprises me to be honest.

Hitting the club in a few hours and sweat out whatever is in me.

Rye doesn't have the allure it did just 4 weeks ago. Way to early to say for sure, but this might be a general "less alcohol consumption" lifestyle change. I'll keep one of those Polish beers in the fridge as a just in case, but most of the mix for the other stuff will probably be moved back to the pantry.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Hey, though. Think of the money saved.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
I went the first two weeks or so of January without booze without really noticing, so I said gently caress it and went the rest of the month dry. I was planning to have a few drinks to ring in February but caught myself an ear infection and can't drink while taking the antibiotics that the doc gave me so I guess this is round 2.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Had a couple fingers of scotch at a party last night, but the urge to drink whole bottles is way down. I can live with this.

No soda is much harder so far. I miss you, caffeine.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

SlimManFat posted:

I went the first two weeks or so of January without booze without really noticing, so I said gently caress it and went the rest of the month dry.

I also did this. Though it was kind of a crappy month for other reasons, the budget gain meant I was able to fully absorb the emergency parts purchases on the truck without dipping into savings so yay.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Holy poo poo the wheels fell off the wagon last night.

I.... am seriously considering making the rest of Feb dry again though. Being hungover isn't the greatest.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I am finding myself to be much less social without alcohol. I don't know if that's just my actual baseline, or if this is a realization that I've been propping up something I shouldn't with booze, or what. I just don't care much for hanging out with people when all they want to do is drink and talk about how lovely their day was.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I am sorta with you. People that I'd typically get together with "for a drink" - just doesn't seem to happen. Not consciously, just doesn't happen. One young buddy of mine knew I was dry and he said to me "hey, let's get together, doesn't have to be for a drink" and I took a pass. I feel sort of bad about it, come to think of it. :(

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

How’d people do with dry Super Bowl? I didnt’t catch it this year, I was doing dad poo poo, but I don’t think I’ve seen many of them sober.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

slidebite posted:

I am sorta with you. People that I'd typically get together with "for a drink" - just doesn't seem to happen. Not consciously, just doesn't happen. One young buddy of mine knew I was dry and he said to me "hey, let's get together, doesn't have to be for a drink" and I took a pass. I feel sort of bad about it, come to think of it. :(

If you're anything like me it's stemming from a desire to be productive with my time now. If I were you I'd figure out what you're prioritizing and invite him out to do it. I've invited my buddies to come work on cars, and though none have taken me up on the offer, I feel better about having offered. Priorities change, people grow apart, etc.

Dadliest Worrier posted:

How’d people do with dry Super Bowl? I didnt’t catch it this year, I was doing dad poo poo, but I don’t think I’ve seen many of them sober.

I didn't even watch it. I put the crank in the MR2 motor and watched Gentleman Driver on netflix instead.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I might have a drink again if I get 3 weeks of no crudiness but who am I kidding, I have a 3' Petri dish running around. It's not gonna happen any time soon.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Had to brave Costco on a Saturday afternoon. Out of rye but decided not to pick any up. Even though I am having lovely sleeps again because of my sore back, it feels nice not waking up hungover.

Think I'll keep this going again but I won't beat myself up if I have something.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I'm just going to say it, I have a problem with alcohol (and this is the understatement of the year).

I finally have become scared enough of the way I am feeling and symptoms of other things going on to have scheduled a Doctor visit (I probably haven't been in 10 years).

I am terrified of what the blood work and other things will say.

Currently trying to somehow go from the past 20 years daily to a little to hopefully none. I don't want to die and not see my kids grow up. I worry it is too late.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Until you're in a hospital bed with a belly blown up to a 60 inch circumference from ascites secondary to cirrhosis and total liver failure, with a DNR in hand, it's never too late.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
It took longer than I expected, but I no longer have any desire to drink. We’ll see how long it lasts, but so far my productivity is back to normal. I went out with friends and had a beer -it’s worth nothing I’m not a beer drinker- it was more about not being the only one not drinking. It’s amazing how many of my coworkers, friends, bosses all give me an odd look and ask if I’m feeling ok when I turn down a drink offer work.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Its interesting. I have a beer now and then but I think I've successfully kicked the liquor for now. Going to keep rolling with it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I made a doctors appointment for next Tuesday. This morning was rough but I made it through today/tonight with literally 25% normal amount of drinks. Just feel super tired right now even though it’s 4 hours earlier than I usually even think about going to bed.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

everdave posted:

I made a doctors appointment for next Tuesday. This morning was rough but I made it through today/tonight with literally 25% normal amount of drinks. Just feel super tired right now even though it’s 4 hours earlier than I usually even think about going to bed.

Let your body rest and do whatever it wants. Why not? "At least Im not drinking". Eat a shitload of candy and drink a bunch of soda and watch movies with a pint of ice cream and generally do whatever. TREAT YOSELF.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

the spyder posted:

It took longer than I expected, but I no longer have any desire to drink. We’ll see how long it lasts, but so far my productivity is back to normal. I went out with friends and had a beer -it’s worth nothing I’m not a beer drinker- it was more about not being the only one not drinking. It’s amazing how many of my coworkers, friends, bosses all give me an odd look and ask if I’m feeling ok when I turn down a drink offer work.

Liquid Communism posted:

Its interesting. I have a beer now and then but I think I've successfully kicked the liquor for now. Going to keep rolling with it.

Its such a weird feeling right? Indifference to alcohol.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

everdave posted:

Good for you man. Talk to the doc and see what they say. Recognizing you might have a problem and making an effort to get help/do something about it is a big step.

Maybe think of an activity you've been wanting to do and keep yourself busy until then?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Having a real bad time right now can not sleep can not turn off brain and appointment isn’t for a week

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

A little late now, but reading usually tunes me out if I've got something on my mind. Or watching a repeat on Netflix of something I've seen upteen times.

If I have a feeling it's going to be one of those nights where I won't be able to sleep I try and take a hot bath and soak for 30-60. May/may not help you.

Good luck man. If you have a problem and have been battling for years, the first bit is going to be the rough no matter how you slice it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Thank you. I actually got some sleep but my main worry is something that has been going on a few months. I’ve been getting pins and needles in left leg, and some numbness and tightness but last night my leg was just numb almost all over and I’m scared it’s something that is irreversible. It’s just my thigh right now. Wish I could see doctor today.

Edit: Woke up and after walking around a few I feel fine. But I am worried about that pain and numbness coming back tonight.

everdave fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 12, 2019

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It might be nothing, and even if there might be something the human body can have an amazing ability to heal.

See your doc, get your tests done and see what the results are and deal with it if you need to.

Don't automatically think the worst, even if you haven't been treating your body like a temple. I've treated my body like total poo poo for most of the last 20+ years, starting martial arts and this last bit of going dry has done wonders for my health. I literally just got a clean bill of health from my doctor that made me feel like I won the lottery because I have little doubt that if I didn't do some lifestyle changes, I would probably be in real trouble before too long.

It's not too late :)

slidebite fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 13, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

If you're anything like me it's stemming from a desire to be productive with my time now. If I were you I'd figure out what you're prioritizing and invite him out to do it. I've invited my buddies to come work on cars, and though none have taken me up on the offer, I feel better about having offered. Priorities change, people grow apart, etc.

That's pretty normal about the cars tho, none of my buddies are even remotely interested in working on cars, most people just aren't into that. My brother will but not for fun, only if he has too lol. That being said if I lived near you I'd be all about it man :)

Good luck to everyone in their sobriety endeavors, this is a good thread for AI goons.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

everdave posted:

Thank you. I actually got some sleep but my main worry is something that has been going on a few months. I’ve been getting pins and needles in left leg, and some numbness and tightness but last night my leg was just numb almost all over and I’m scared it’s something that is irreversible. It’s just my thigh right now. Wish I could see doctor today.

Edit: Woke up and after walking around a few I feel fine. But I am worried about that pain and numbness coming back tonight.

Like slidebite says, get it checked out. I had a buddy who had similar problems and it was just a pinched nerve from tweaking his back and cleared up with PT.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

Let your body rest and do whatever it wants. Why not? "At least Im not drinking". Eat a shitload of candy and drink a bunch of soda and watch movies with a pint of ice cream and generally do whatever. TREAT YOSELF.

A lot of different things seem to help a lot of different people, but for what it's worth, when I first started my gradual decline in drinking, a few years ago, it was with this approach. I took six months off and allowed myself every possible indulgence except alcohol (or other drugs, though those weren't part of my life anyway). Video games, junk food, whatever the gently caress. I started drinking again after that, but never at the level that I had been before. And my interest in it has declined over time since then, to the point that in December I started thinking I just genuinely didn't want to drink at all anymore, and not just during hangovers or whatever. Now I'm going on seven weeks without the stuff and it's not even requiring willpower, because I just genuinely don't want it anymore. The triggers are all still around, but the response has faded.

It might take you time, and multiple periods of sobriety, and that can all be progress. View it as a long process, read books about it (I liked "The Naked Mind" a lot), maybe explore your reasons for drinking with a therapist, and be patient with yourself. Prolonged exposure to high levels of alcohol also rewires your brain for anxiety and fear, so for what it's worth, remind yourself that you're going to feel fearful a lot for the next little while, and that fear might not be information about the world, just your brain slowly bouncing back from booze.

Also PM me if you want to talk about this poo poo and think it might be helpful.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I appreciate the support - it means a lot.

Only 2 1/2 days since I've had a drink and not to sound overconfident but: I feel fantastic. Other than the first morning after and not being able to sleep the next night (and thinking for sure I had an incurable nerve disease) I am very lucky to not have had any other withdrawals. I never had before the few times I have taken breaks and I do not take that lightly. Right now I am leaning towards the pinched nerve or similar (and it is much much better)..

Turns out if you like eat food and drink water instead of just beer all day and night you feel better.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Same.

Last night, when I got home from the hospital, I took a quick shower, and was comfortable / not anxious enough that I fell asleep watching TV. That never happens - usually I've got to get up and do something, or drink, or be anxious about drinking, or whatever. But, instead, it was very calm.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

everdave posted:

I appreciate the support - it means a lot.

Only 2 1/2 days since I've had a drink and not to sound overconfident but: I feel fantastic. Other than the first morning after and not being able to sleep the next night (and thinking for sure I had an incurable nerve disease) I am very lucky to not have had any other withdrawals. I never had before the few times I have taken breaks and I do not take that lightly. Right now I am leaning towards the pinched nerve or similar (and it is much much better)..

Turns out if you like eat food and drink water instead of just beer all day and night you feel better.
Nerves are a funny thing. I don't want to keep talking about me but just around xmas I had such brutal nerve pain in my left leg I basically collapsed trying to get out of bed in the morning. Even sitting down I couldn't extend my leg fully. My leg hurt with a periodic searing nerve pain from basically from my rear end down to my foot and the inside/top of my left foot was numb and tingly from time to time. Between family doctor, PT and RMT we figured it was an trapped nerve.

Fast forward to now, 2nd week of Feb, it's fine. I can't even feel a thing out of the ordinary. It's perfectly fine.

Sometimes poo poo happens. Odds are probably quite strong you'll be just fine. Glad you're making a conscious effort to improve yourself though. :)

Spoke to a co-worker yesterday, found out her 44 year old family member died. Heart attack. Complaining of chest pains over the past few days I guess but didn't do anything about it. Drinker and recreational drug user apparently. 44 years old... younger than me.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fell off the wagon today. Well, more dived off, really.

People have been so loving terrible lately, and I'm miserable, so six beers and half a fifth of whiskey later and I'm still sadly coherent enough to post.