Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Don't feel bad. After working up a hell of a sweat training today I decided to crack into some whisky this afternoon too. On a completely empty stomach as well. As long as it isn't the norm, I'm OK with it personally :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

slidebite posted:

Nerves are a funny thing. I don't want to keep talking about me but just around xmas I had such brutal nerve pain in my left leg I basically collapsed trying to get out of bed in the morning. Even sitting down I couldn't extend my leg fully. My leg hurt with a periodic searing nerve pain from basically from my rear end down to my foot and the inside/top of my left foot was numb and tingly from time to time. Between family doctor, PT and RMT we figured it was an trapped nerve.

Fast forward to now, 2nd week of Feb, it's fine. I can't even feel a thing out of the ordinary. It's perfectly fine.

Sometimes poo poo happens. Odds are probably quite strong you'll be just fine. Glad you're making a conscious effort to improve yourself though. :)

That is a lot like me, I have zero pain or numbness today but especiallymlaying down I get numbness left leg and searing/burning. And yes toonof foot numb tingly and itchy sometimes (along with random different spots on left leg at times). Do I ask doctor to refer me to a certain kind of doctor or will he know?

Sixth day no drinks. Feel fine just BORED. Was easier work days and having kids. Kids will come back tomorrow.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

slidebite posted:

Don't feel bad. After working up a hell of a sweat training today I decided to crack into some whisky this afternoon too. On a completely empty stomach as well. As long as it isn't the norm, I'm OK with it personally :)

I don't think it can be the norm. This is the first time I've gotten into the liquor like I used to in months, and after a six hour nap I feel like someone threw me down the stairs. Runny eggs and cholula haven't managed to scratch this hangover yet.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
No shame at all. Hope you feel better.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Sometimes taking a liver-beating like that can work as a reminder.

I’ve got my first flight in a long while next weekend. I’ve become a sketchy flier as I’ve gotten older, and I’m not looking forward to doing it sober, but I am looking forward to not opening my weekend away with a hangover. I wasted so much time abroad being too hung over to enjoy my trips.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Dadliest Worrier posted:

Sometimes taking a liver-beating like that can work as a reminder.
Ayyuuup.

Probably had 20 of the 40 of rye last night. Shockingly not feeling too bad today, just tired since I had such a lovely sleep. Luckily it's a long weekend here and I've got tomorrow to hopefully sleep in and get back to a normal rhythm.

But yeah, this isn't the kind of day I miss. At all.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

February's over. How's everyone holding up? I'm still feeling good and I'm definitely sticking it out through March. I feel a kind of cumulative calm building up, and I worry that even a single "gently caress it, it's just one" drink would reset my brain chemistry and leave me anxious and stressed out. Also, I'm starting to notice the day-to-day effects on my body from my extremely lovely diet, now that the noise from my alcohol intake has quieted down. I've got two kids in potty training, a job search, and a lot of other stuff complicating life right now, so I'm reluctant to make any new habit-change commitments, but I'm going to start reading books about it to prepare.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Still dry, 2/12 down.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Same. I still want an occasional whisky or beer, because they are hella tasty.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I had a couple drinks last Saturday but haven't had a thing since then.

I'm not so much making an effort to NOT drink, I'm just not planing on doing it ahead of time. Like, not buying more whisky for the house, that kind of thing.

That said, going to Calgary for a couple nights and will probably be getting together with a couple guys and have a few beers and wings, but no wheels off the wagon times being planned.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 1, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I still get the desire, but I usually just grab a glass of something else instead and it passes.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I have to make an effort not to drink, which is a sign this is probably the right thing to do right now.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
156 days 13 hours. I tried kombucha for the first time on Thursday night, unsure if that counts. I dont even think about alcohol anymore and have been rotating through a bunch of different flavored soda waters. For like $4 per 12 pack it's so cheap.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I don’t think kombucha counts unless you’re shotgunning racks of it. I like to drink bitters with soda water, and I guess there’s some tiny amount of alcohol in that, too, but it doesn’t have any effect.

I hung out in a bar with a friend last night and it was fine, just a good time, no itch for booze at all. And waking up the next morning at 7 and just jumping up and getting poo poo done just does not get old.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I had a drink out with friends this weekend, but it was just the one rum and coke and I didn't feel the need for another.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
TMI shouldn’t post that talking about myself

everdave fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 8, 2019

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Got together with a few AI'rs on Weds night. Decided it would be a good night to have some beers again. I did - couple after work with a coworker, 8 at the bar with the dudes, and then a couple in the hotel room afterwards.

Pretty surprised I was not really hungover the next day, a little sore from a kick I took in the ribs Monday, but took the morning after pretty well.

That said, climbing back on the wagon.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
join me on the wagon, I'm keeping the seats warm for ya.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks bud!

Of course I just found out a good friend of mine that just returned from Mexico bought me a bottle of tequila

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
Check in:
no alcohol at all from Jan 1st to about February 20th. I was at a friends house and had a tangerine IPA before playing a round of disc golf. Only had the one beer that week. Had a glass of wine with a wonderful Italian dinner March 1st. Last week, had about 5 drinks total (4 beers and a shot of artisanal, bespoke moonshine). Didn't feel any ill effects, and one night on beer two I was just like "lol I'm not finishing this, its just making me exhausted". I feel like I'm over regular drinking in my life, and its nice to have an occasional drink but don't want to habituate again.

Its also helped me as a coder/developer. I'm grasping my work's internal SQL structure a lot better (over two dozen databases, tens of thousands of tables/views, thousands of stored procedures, and not a single bit of documentation), and I'm able to better whiteboard out and plan projects. I also have an opportunity to earn a Magento 2 cert, and if I get it I'll get a raise. No way would I have studied for that if I was drinking every night.
My quality of sleep has improved. I've cleared out space in my garage to actually work on cars without side shuffling. Been working out a bit more too.

The next thing I'd like to cut way back on is sugar. I started on that March 1st. So far so good, I've only gotten sugar from coffee or tea and I'm reducing that effectively too.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

That's awesome. Now that I'm completely off the sauce, I worry about going back to occasionally drinking, because I feel like it might creep back upwards over time. Having good reasons to tell yourself "I don't want this drink or ice cream or whatever" seems like the way to hold that off. The longer this sober streak goes on, though, the longer I want it to go on, and now I'm thinking I might take it through the early part of next year before thinking about having a drink again.

I'm also gearing up to change my diet. I found a book that talks about an approach that's similar to the one I've used for alcohol. It took a few tries to reach a point where not drinking has felt natural, though, and I figure it'll take multiple shots to figure out what works with food. We'll see.

In the mean time, I'm going to cook a big loving pot roast tonight. For the first time in my life, I won't be guzzling Guinness through the whole process. It somehow feels weirder to do that sober than it did to go to a bar sober.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Went to Alamo Drafthouse, didn't drink. Was surprised by matinee pricing at 8:15PM and immediately thought, "oh, now I have money for an adult shake," but didn't. Then, 40 minutes in, waiter came up and informed me that my meal tab had been taken care of by another party, and again thought, "sweet, more beer money," but instead went home having only spent $6.50 for the night. Was able to take an electric scooter without risking an infraction, too.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Diabetes and alcohol don't really mix. Been trying to cut back by a fair amount lately, because while life is wonderful and amazing its also incredibly stressful.

Made a proper old fashioned in a beer stein and sat in the bath last night for an hour reading, now my blood sugar is 420, I feel like I have the flu, and I'm trending towards dka for the first time in my life.

Back on the wagon for the foreseeable future, I can't trust myself to have "just one" if it's a liter of bourbon.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

How does alcohol and diabetes go together? A co-worker of mine is "borderline" diabetic but eats poo poo like deep-fried food and donughts all the time, also drinks like a sailor on shore leave.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
It causes your blood sugar to rise to dangerous levels depending on how much you drink. When you hit alcohol poisoning levels, your blood sugar tanks.

High blood sugar leads to diabetic keto acidosis, which is where ketones start being produced in your body as part of an alternate path for you to "make" energy. It fucks with your blood ph, which leads to pain. Your abdominal blood pressure tanks, which leads to gastric damage. Your electrolytes can get all hosed, which leads to heart arrhythmia, weakness, and muscle spasms. Your body temperature can go wonky, so you either run cold or hot. With all the changes, you have incredibly unstable emotions, almost as if someone else is driving you.

It's a motherfucker and I know better.

E: "borderline" diabetes generally means a neophyte type 2, he won't have the exact same issue but something similar can happen.

SeaGoatSupreme fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 13, 2019

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Coming up on end of March, still dry. It's been nice to focus on school.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Queen Combat posted:

Coming up on end of March, still dry. It's been nice to focus on school.

You're telling me. Hows school going anyway? How long do you have?

We learned about A&P last EMT class (lmao more like barely scratched the surface) and holy poo poo I can't believe how many parallels to engineering there are.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Graduation in December if I don't fail out. It's getting tougher, and I'd probably fail out with hangovers on Monday.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Sounds like a great reason to stay dry then.

I'm going to be heavily tempted, got a bunch of work travel this spring and we almost always end up going drinking on the per diem. See if my willpower stands.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
18 days so far

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I'm on day 85 so far. The goal is 90 but I may just continue it or restart after my birthday in two weeks.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Good to see everyone keeping on. I’m about to hit three months. Last drink was 12/29. I imagine that at some point I might drink again, maybe, but I’m in no rush. Feels good, man.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Keep it up!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Got together with a buddy after belt testing this past weekend, turned almost into a bit of a runaway as we started solving the worlds problems. Now, that said, I previously drank more days than not, so if I have some once every few weeks or special occasions, I can live with that.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Feels like I’m in cruise mode. Just normal now to go without. How’re y’all?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Same. I haven't had a drink since early March. May bend enough for a beer tomorrow, bbqing for a birthday party with my buddies from college.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Had a business meeting out of town 2 weeks ago which alcohol was flowing very freely at. Been dry since I got home... and came down with a cold yesterday so it'll be pretty easy for the foreseeable future because I'm miserable.

Going to Panama next weekend for a short vacation so I suspect I'll be having some bevs then.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Dadliest Worrier posted:

Feels like I’m in cruise mode. Just normal now to go without. How’re y’all?

Yup. Had a party at my place a week ago, and later in the night someone asked how I wasnt drinking with everyone. It actually caught me by surprise because that point was the first time I'd thought about it.

That feeling they're trying to achieve with booze is my feeling sober now. It's hard to explain.

E: 205 days

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Just hit a month and a week, haven't had a drink since I went through hell. Multiple people in my family passed this week, and instead of climbing in a bottle I just went for a 12 mile hike. A good feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Still haven't, don't have the money to anyway. Imagine how much LESS money I'd have if I had been drinking.