Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

About The Game

The original XCOM was a science fiction strategy video game series that began with the title UFO: Enemy Unknown in 1994. Published by MicroProse, the game received sequels in 95, 96, 97 and 98. The premise of the series is that an alien invasion in 1999 prompts the creation of a paramilitary organisation to combat the new threat. The turn-based combat games that resulted were widely praised thanks to their deep gameplay and compelling story, as well as the fascinating aspect of permadeath wherein soldiers that died in a mission would remain dead for the rest of the game.

However, subsequent to the acquisition of the franchise by Hasbro and a disastrous third person shooter release, XCOM Enforcer, in 2001 the proud series fell by the wayside, with planned sequels quietly cancelled as the studio wound down.

And for 9 years the series lay dormant, until an announcement by 2K Marin in 2010. The studio announced a reimagining of the series slated for 2011, however after being repeatedly mishandled the game ended up being Shanghai’d by another effort, this time from Firaxis Games.

In 2012 Firaxis, led by MicroProse founder, Sid Meier announced the development of XCOM: Enemy Unknown. The game garnered universal praise on release, wowing fans both with both its faith to the original as well as use of more modern gameplay conceits. An expansion, Enemy Within a year later would maintain that high standard, improving character customisation and continuing the story.

But that wasn’t the end. Buoyed by the success of the game, Firaxis would continue their efforts, announcing XCOM 2 for release in 2016.
Continuing the trend of excellence, Firaxis hit it out of the park once again, with critics stunned to find a game that had built upon the foundations of its predecessor whilst still innovating enough to keep things fresh.

About the LP

I alongside the strategic Yorkshire Tea will be a running an ironman (a single save, no reloads) video LP of XCOM 2. We’re also doing this blind which will hopefully make it even more ridiculous. Our objective is to complete the game on normal difficulty. If we get to a point where the game because impossible to complete, the LP will be declared over and we’ll conclude on our experiment barring fan demand.

As we’re going in blind, part of the fun will be our reaction to the story and how it pans out. As such I’d appreciate if story and mechanic discussion related to areas we have not reached yet be covered under spoiler tags. Like this!

Character Submission!

As part of the LP we would like you, the people reading this thread to submit characters to us for the run, either via bat file which can be done by PMing me a link for the download on the forums, or via the google form linked below:

XCOM 2 Character Submission

A character creation video has also been provided just in case you don’t own the game but want to submit a character anyway:

XCOM 2 Character Creator Video

I am happy for people to submit partial characters and have me fill out blanks as appropriate, a core idea in the description would be handy however!

Character Submission is Open At All Times.

I will take any and all ideas, be they celebrities, video game characters or anything else, I would ask though that submissions be staggered somewhat. Whilst I appreciate some viewers will have a thousand ideas, I’d ideally like to avoid crowding out those people who have only submitted one.

:siren:There will be a gap between this thread opening and episode 1 to allow time for character submissions for our initial batch of soldiers.:siren:

And that is more than enough from me, so sit back, relax and enjoy the carnage.

Episodes

Hall of Fame

Rk. Sarah "Dervish" Othmani - Operation Spider Hand - Kills 3 - Missions 1

Rk. That "Italianguy" Italianguy - Operation Spider Hand - Kills 2 - Missions 1

Cpl. Wordy "Early" Bird - Operation Bone Shadow - Kills 5 - Missions 3

Cpl. Blast "Mclargehuge" Hardcheese - Operation Ghost Walker - Kills 7 - Missions 3

Sqd. Oskar "Znorelag" Nilsson - Operation Ghost Walker - Kills 4 - Missions 3

Rk. Abraham "Alienhunter" Lincoln - Operation Twisted Sceptre - Kills 1 - Missions 1

Art

Episode 27 Alternate Banner (in spoilers)

Episode 38 Alternate Banner (in spoilers)

Episode 51 Alternate Banner (in spoilers)

Episode 54 Alternate Banner (in spoilers_

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Reserved in case it's needed. Yes we promised XCOM Enemy Within but the character creator is nowhere near as versatile.

Episode 1 will be out on the 7th of January. I'd also appreciate it greatly if you post in here when you submit a character so I know approximately how much creation I'm going to have to do.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 2, 2019

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

I have submitted a character AND YOU NEED TO MASH THAT RANDOMIZE BUTTON FOR WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I don't have a character to share but if you use the international voice pack mod, I voice the Scots English pack.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

What difficulty are you playing on?

I made a few submissions, including one from Jade Star's LP. And speaking of that, I would highly suggest that you make backups of your save file just in case you run into technical issues. Just because you're playing from an ironman perspective doesn't mean that you need to be hindered by computer crashes or whatever.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
We'll be playing on normal and I'll make sure that the LP is crash proof.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Well, Nat's just tempted fate by taunting the LP gods, we're off to an excellent start here.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Black Robe posted:

Well, Nat's just tempted fate by taunting the LP gods, we're off to an excellent start here.
At least he's not Jade "JAIDS" Star. If there was an issue to be found, whether it was from hardware failures or rare inexplicable glitches, he would reliably find it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Are you playing the base game or WOTC?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
oh christ

if yall need an xcom veteran to rock on with commentary at some point i'm available. i've been a megafan of xcom since the OG

on a related note i'll submit my character when i get home from work, the world needs more HATE

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Sure, why not. Submitted a soldier.

Don't remember if Arabic is a language option or not. Was kinda strange in the last XCOM 2 LP when my trooper was the only non-English speaker on the roster.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Coolguye posted:

oh christ

if yall need an xcom veteran to rock on with commentary at some point i'm available. i've been a megafan of xcom since the OG

on a related note i'll submit my character when i get home from work, the world needs more HATE

Appreciated as ever, but the fun is going to be how we hilariously get our soldiers killed owing to our inexperience!

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Submitted a soldier via the form. I just uninstalled XCOM 2 a few days ago to make room for some new stuff. I think it's the first time since 2012 XCOM released that I haven't had an XCOM game installed.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I hope my character's death will be as glorious as her canon one.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Submitted a character with all the details needed, left the class blank as I'm good with everything you need :)

Good luck :xcom:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Mordja posted:

Are you playing the base game or WOTC?

Sorry! Forgot to get to this. On the advice of a few veterans we are playing the base game with no additional DLC beyond cosmetic stuff.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

The "for an additional twist" bit is repeated in the 00 video. I thought that was really odd, and couldn't see anyone else bringing it up, so~

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Prolly a bunch of Zero Escape fans here in the LP subforum, we only start to take notice after like five additional twists

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

LashLightning posted:

The "for an additional twist" bit is repeated in the 00 video. I thought that was really odd, and couldn't see anyone else bringing it up, so~

Yeah it's come up. In sound editing I cut the sentence and put it back in again after a rerecord, but apparently I'm a genius and didn't cut the exact time I wanted.

The only way to fix it now would be to reupload the intro which is something I will get to (probably upon archive or a little deeper into the LP) but for the moment will break a bunch of stuff I've set up for continuity on youtube.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

I'm very here for this, hello

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I am curious as to how this goes. Last week I tried to learn a buddy of mine how to XCOM2, during which I left him alone for 5 minutes where in he got all his soldiers split up, one got mind controlled, and one got dead from said mind-controlled gunner.

It was a useful learning moment.

Expect a character file from me, I've also got a bunch of ones from other places on SA. A 'famous persons' one from the XCOM thread and the Syphon Filter one in particular. Lemme know if you want either, I'll try to run them down.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Paingod556 posted:

I am curious as to how this goes. Last week I tried to learn a buddy of mine how to XCOM2, during which I left him alone for 5 minutes where in he got all his soldiers split up, one got mind controlled, and one got dead from said mind-controlled gunner.

Sounds like he's learned how to XCOM2 perfectly.

The game can be played surgically, inching forward and taking no shot riskier than 95%, even with mission timers once you get used to it there's a lot of leeway. But nothing's more of a rush than screwing everything up and having to figure out how to screw it back down.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Submitted a character. It was a bit tricky, I've got some color mods and other things that are in the new WotC stuff just released recently (mini-campaigns, give a handful of cosmetics like new attitudes) so I had to step through the video to make sure numbers matched up and such.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
Might keep an eye on this but I feel you're missing out by not playing with WotC. It adds a ton of really great stuff.

My first playthrough was with WotC and Shen's Last Gift DLCs both active and boy howdy it was a ride.

Oh, and beware the TRUE enemy lurking in plain sight...

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Soul Reaver posted:

Might keep an eye on this but I feel you're missing out by not playing with WotC. It adds a ton of really great stuff.

My first playthrough was with WotC and Shen's Last Gift DLCs both active and boy howdy it was a ride.

Oh, and beware the TRUE enemy lurking in plain sight...

You haven't lived with seagulls, have you? They're even worse than pigeons.

Bruceski posted:

Sounds like he's learned how to XCOM2 perfectly.

The game can be played surgically, inching forward and taking no shot riskier than 95%, even with mission timers once you get used to it there's a lot of leeway. But nothing's more of a rush than screwing everything up and having to figure out how to screw it back down.
The previous XCOM 2 LP referred to this as "XCOM claw", ie Tab -> Y to set everyone to overwatch. Both commentators agreed that XCOM 2's attempts to alleviate that were worthwhile and appreciated.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I've submitted a character to the pool, although looking back now I think that I may have missed a trick. I'll be following this LP for sure. I never got around to completing X Com 2 and I'm not feeling up to starting it again any time soon.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

You haven't lived with seagulls, have you? They're even worse than pigeons.

Having lived with seagulls I can say with confidence that Canadian Geese are worse.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Soul Reaver posted:

I, on the other hand, am happy that this run is without WotC. I feel that, while the expansion adds a lot of content, not everything is tone/gameplay consistent with the base game. WotC feels similar to the "Crimson Court" expansion to Darkest Dungeon: I like both games more without it, even if I like some elements of the expansion pack.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

That Italian Guy posted:

I, on the other hand, am happy that this run is without WotC. I feel that, while the expansion adds a lot of content, not everything is tone/gameplay consistent with the base game. WotC feels similar to the "Crimson Court" expansion to Darkest Dungeon: I like both games more without it, even if I like some elements of the expansion pack.

I can see arguments for both directions. I think the especially the strategy layer of the game is better with WotC, and the tactical additions at least provide variety. On the other hand, there's enough of stuff in the base game, and the game already doesn't explain all the rules and systems in place very well. Having all the DLC features on could really bog down a blind LP. Also the Chosen absolutely, categorically, refuse to shut up, ever. XCOM LPs already tend to be shouting matches with Bradford & co., having the Chosen join in with their 20 second newsflashes isn't exactly ideal.

The Crimson Court comparison rings a bell, though. I disliked the Darkest Dungeons expansions, since while that game could use more variety to support its interminable length, it definitely didn't need yet another dungeon you have to run a million times. XCOM 2 didn't need to have longer campaigns either, although I think WotC integrates way better than Crimson Court does.

In other news, original self-insert character sent, do not steal!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm glad it's not WotC because the expansion expects you to have at least some knowledge of the base game

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

The extra content in WotC was enough that it took me til I hit second-tier weapons to understand how it all worked. Trying to come to grips with that plus the base game wouldn't be fun. Same as trying to jump directly into 1.13 JA2 or Long War EU/EW, always start with base game, the expansions/mods can come later to refresh the experience

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

FeyerbrandX posted:

Having lived with seagulls I can say with confidence that Canadian Geese are worse.

Different kinds of bad. Seagulls steal anything and everything slightly edible with no regard for what's in the way, geese are territorial monsters who attack children.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Paingod556 posted:

The extra content in WotC was enough that it took me til I hit second-tier weapons to understand how it all worked. Trying to come to grips with that plus the base game wouldn't be fun. Same as trying to jump directly into 1.13 JA2 or Long War EU/EW, always start with base game, the expansions/mods can come later to refresh the experience

I guess I'm in the minority with my preference then. I jumped in at the deep end with all WotC and Shen's Last Gift DLCs enabled (and not 'integrated' so it added the additional story mission) and felt all the different things to worry about and deal with positively added to the sense of tension and urgency.

I came to Xcom 2 from Xcom: Enemy Within (notably not having touched Enemy Within for quite some time now) and it didn't take me too long to get to grips with it on Normal difficulty, since the tactical layer is still similar overall.

That said, I didn't buy the Alien Hunter DLC because frankly I think the Alien Ruler mechanics sound like garbage and the rewards you get for beating them look so stupid and out of place that I'd hate myself for equipping them even if I earned them. The Chosen make for much better mid-mission 'boss battle' mechanics.

The only thing that ever really ballsed up my run (and probably would have cost me the game if it had been a true Ironman run) is something that I suspect is in the vanilla game too :
finding out that when it says 1 turn before forced to retreat, it means the current turn. Not the next. And 'forced to retreat' means that anyone not on the skyranger at the end of that turn is Captured. I lost a 6 person veteran team that way, all of them just steps away from the evac point.

Also: seagulls are horrible, mean-tempered scabs but they never seem as gross and scungy as pigeons.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 6, 2019

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Gentle reminder that we're starting our recording tomorrow, so if you want to submit a soldier for the first pool then please get them in sharpish!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Soul Reaver posted:

finding out that when it says 1 turn before forced to retreat, it means the current turn. Not the next. And 'forced to retreat' means that anyone not on the skyranger at the end of that turn is Captured. I lost a 6 person veteran team that way, all of them just steps away from the evac point.

Yes, that's in the vanilla game as well, and I don't think it should be spoilered since it's not really a "hidden" mechanic and will appear on the first mission (after the intro). XCOM EW and 2 both have some strangeness about the ways they count down, but for 2 the best way around it is to always remind yourself that the counts round up. A couple of them don't but better safe than sorry.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I don't have PMs, but I do have a file for Samuel L Jackson, who helped me save Earth.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I don't have PMs, but I do have a file for Samuel L Jackson, who helped me save Earth.

Post the download link, I'll PM it to put it in the same queue with the others.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Submitted a SPARK in hopes you'll actually use the drat things.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

I run my campaigns off the goonpool from the games thread. It has XCOM soldier versions of all kinds of posters, for example Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka is in there. It's mondo cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

StoryTime posted:

I run my campaigns off the goonpool from the games thread. It has XCOM soldier versions of all kinds of posters, for example Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka is in there. It's mondo cool.

+1 to this.

I wish I had the link to the Syphon Filter characters from Lune. Everyone needs to have a Nigel Cummings on their team. He is a top agent. And using Logan in LW2 was amazing once I discovered Assaults get tasers in that mod