Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Does lowtax spawn with an exo suit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

IcePhoenix posted:

Does lowtax spawn with an exo suit?

He spawns with a cuban in his mouth.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

While I'm uploading characters, I also have Trump and Mitch McConnell. Not sure if we want to go that route, just let me know.

Mr Jackson will go up later tonight.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

StoryTime posted:

I run my campaigns off the goonpool from the games thread. It has XCOM soldier versions of all kinds of posters, for example Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka is in there. It's mondo cool.

This seems really cool, but it would come at the cost of people who've submitted their stuff getting to see their personal avatars murdered in favour of a random other goon. I think our pool is currently 25-30 soldiers deep which will hopefully be okay. (I'm completely unsure, they might drop like flies, who knows?)

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

While I'm uploading characters, I also have Trump and Mitch McConnell. Not sure if we want to go that route, just let me know.

Mr Jackson will go up later tonight.

I'm not going to touch political figures with a barge pole, I'll say that now.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Natural 20 posted:

I think our pool is currently 25-30 soldiers deep

You're good.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Yeah, even in a Blind LP, you won't probably lose more than an handful of soldiers - barring catastrophic :xcom: moments.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Definitely cool with no politics, but Mr Jackson will probably be going up once I return from this business trip.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I haven't played non-WOTC in a while but I'm fairly sure that by un-checking that box for new enemies you in fact just deactivated the special mission that introduces them, and you'll still see them in the campaign. I guess time will tell if I'm remembering that correctly.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Don't blame yourself too much, the tutorial mission is scripted and you always lose Peter and Ramirez :(

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So heads up, I get not wanting to play with mods right away, but the Evac All one saves a lot of aggravation and repetitive clicking.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Mordja posted:

So heads up, I get not wanting to play with mods right away, but the Evac All one saves a lot of aggravation and repetitive clicking.

Yeah, file this one under "fixing a game deficiency" rather than an addition. It just gives you an extra button when in the evac zone, and that new button basically clicks "evac" for everyone who's standing there. Otherwise you have to click "evac yourself" on 7 different guys.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mordja posted:

When you're playing the game repeatedly I agree, and it's a good quality of life change, but I don't think it's gonna be that big a deal.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Akratic Method posted:

I haven't played non-WOTC in a while but I'm fairly sure that by un-checking that box for new enemies you in fact just deactivated the special mission that introduces them, and you'll still see them in the campaign. I guess time will tell if I'm remembering that correctly.

This is indeed the case. Have fun with that!

(If you don't want the Alien Hunters content at all, you have to disable the DLC by right clicking the game in Steam and selecting properties. You'd probably need to start a new campaign, though)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Also you may want to turn subtitles on in options. I can't recall what sorts of info they tell you over the intercom, there's options to turn most of it off except for flavor and I do that since I know it already, but for things that aren't like general tutorial tips you don't want to misshear something.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm gonna submit a character named Rammer Ez in honor of our fallen soldier :911:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
As someone who has played these games extensively, it's amazing watching the journey of discovery here.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bremen posted:

This is indeed the case. Have fun with that!

(If you don't want the Alien Hunters content at all, you have to disable the DLC by right clicking the game in Steam and selecting properties. You'd probably need to start a new campaign, though)

Oh ho. Okay.

I've disabled the DLC and it lets me load the save but warns of potential instability. That said I'm not seeing anything going wrong on load so maybe we're okay?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Leave it on you coward

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Also don't disable all the DLC; one of them gives you the robots.
...Totally not saying that because I submitted one.

The instability would probably show when you start encountering the DLC content; that being said, it might not cause any issues at all. Looks like you'll just have to play and see.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 8, 2019

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm not disabling robots.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

Oh ho. Okay.

I've disabled the DLC and it lets me load the save but warns of potential instability. That said I'm not seeing anything going wrong on load so maybe we're okay?

If you have not already recorded additional content, you can start a new campaign without losing anything: the tutorial is 100% scripted/fixed content. You wouldn't even need to re-record it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

That Italian Guy posted:

If you have not already recorded additional content, you can start a new campaign without losing anything: the tutorial is 100% scripted/fixed content. You wouldn't even need to re-record it.

We've done stuff after the tutorial unfortunately which I wouldn't want to lose.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

IcePhoenix posted:

Leave it on you coward

I'm sure it'll be fine :unsmith:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Natural 20 posted:

Oh ho. Okay.

I have no idea, other than saying if you get through the first two months without trouble you're probably going to be fine.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

sniper4625 posted:

I'm sure it'll be fine :unsmith:

I maintain my viewpoint.

Also I just left a lot of fields in my submission blank so you can just randomize them or something, Nat. Or at least I assume how that'll work.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

IcePhoenix posted:

I maintain my viewpoint.

Also I just left a lot of fields in my submission blank so you can just randomize them or something, Nat. Or at least I assume how that'll work.

To be clear that was a non empty quote empty quote of agreement, I believe in LPers :)

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

Oh ho. Okay.

You dodged a bullet here, because if anything, this poo poo would be even worse without its introductory mission. Alien Hunters is the only DLC I know which not only makes the game worse under every aspect, but can also gently caress up your playthrough even if you turn it off. I think the expansion finally deactivates it completely, but I have it uninstalled just to be sure.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Nah, WotC just nerfs them to less annoying levels and has different rules for encountering them.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Looking forward to this. If I forgot to mention it in the character creation, my face paint could be the sharpshooter one, but no matter if not.

I hope to be a useful, if a bit crazy addition to the squad. :clint:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
For the record, I'm watching all of this again and basically screaming at myself.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Natural 20 posted:

For the record, I'm watching all of this again and basically screaming at myself.

This may be one of those things, but if you're mousing over places you can move your soldier, enemies have an icon next to their hp to show whether you can shoot them from there.

Also, at one point you say something about only being able to move up and take a point blank shot with a ranger, which isn't true; melee weapons let you make a double move and then attack, you can still make a single move and then shoot even at 1 tile range (as long as it isn't a sniper rifle, anyways).

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bremen posted:

This may be one of those things, but if you're mousing over places you can move your soldier, enemies have an icon next to their hp to show whether you can shoot them from there.

Also, at one point you say something about only being able to move up and take a point blank shot with a ranger, which isn't true; melee weapons let you make a double move and then attack, you can still make a single move and then shoot even at 1 tile range (as long as it isn't a sniper rifle, anyways).

I did not know that first point. That is handy.

The latter point I do know and I swear it made sense in my head when I was saying it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

there is an option under gameplay that I seriously suggest activating. It's called "enemy preview". At

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Overwatch subnotes:
--Moving enemies are (almost always) out of cover so you get max chance to hit and the flanked crit bonus, but there's a 30% hit penalty for OW shots. Mainly to give OW its niche instead of always being the best option.
--When already revealed, the AI may choose not to move if overwatched. This can be good or bad.
--When multiple people are on OW they pick targets smartly. They won't all pour ammo into one enemy if the first person kills it.

double nine posted:

there is an option under gameplay that I seriously suggest activating. It's called "enemy preview".

Holding ALT when choosing a move location will also do this. I find it annoying when always on but that hotkey's very useful.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I'll throw in another tip, since it was really obvious when trying to kill that first Officer- you can cycle through soldiers, either by clicking on a soldier, or using Tab.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Why don't you build a weapon that does everything the previous weapon did... and more?
Well, changes and evolution don't necessarily happen that fast and straightforwardly (or even reasonably), and then there's weight, overengineering, overfiddliness, loss of specialization, logistical cost, and so on.

and, well, this is XCOM.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Look, Tea just wants them to have Gunblades like in Final Fantasy 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

If you were wondering why that truck has blown up, it's worth noting that stray bullets can and will set vehicles on fire: smoke and sparkles are a good sign that something is about to blow up, like here:

You can't have your soldiers shoot on the vehicles on purpose, but a well placed AoE attack (like explosives) will do the trick.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 10, 2019