Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
DAMNIT, DASH.

So, you're thinking of a voicepack, are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I, too, do not notice when someone puts a rocket in the clean room I am currently in.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Notes:
-Most people complete this plot mission before researching Plasma Weapons and Warden Armor and having Colonel snipers.
-The evac zone remains at the start because, if you decide you want to evac a wounded soldier from the mission prior to acquiring the prototype, you have to hoof it all the way back to the start.
-That was the perfect time to hack a sectopod: If you had succeeded, you could have used it to create new holes in the walls and shoot up aliens inside the Blacksite. If you failed and give it overdrive, California could have fan-fired it to death on his own, and you still had the rest of the squad on reserve.
-Archons don't use cover.

Overall, a [C] for "overly Cautious."

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 09:14 on May 18, 2019

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Man, the Forge mission would be a lot more interesting if it worked like they were worried it did :v:

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
After that 3 turn ambush setup, I had a good laugh when the evac zone popped up. :v: It was as if the game was telling them to stop faffing about and get on with it. :bahgawd:
Moments like that really offset stylish actions in my opinion.
Another example: Taking nearly 3 minutes to decide to dominate a shieldbearer. At some point, discussing tactics stops adding anything interesting to the LP.

Question for the thread: Who was the Aliens' MVP?

For me it was the heavy MEC dodging 4 overwatches to wound 3 soldiers. Even though his actions are insignificant in the long run, it was rather stylish.
Although the stun lancer that took out Dash and caused Nat to panic was a close second though.

When NatTea lined up the whole squad together by the low wall, I saw the writing on the wall. They really delivered this episode. Advent that is, not NatTea

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Pea posted:

Question for the thread: Who was the Aliens' MVP?

For me it was the heavy MEC dodging 4 overwatches to wound 3 soldiers. Even though his actions are insignificant in the long run, it was rather stylish.
Although the stun lancer that took out Dash and caused Nat to panic was a close second though.
Ah, but who whiffed first on that overwatch? Who ate that stun lancer hit?

That's right.

The Heavy MEC's a solid two, the Stun Lancer comes in third.

But Aliens' MVP must go to: Dash 'Goddamn' Rendar

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Hey Everyone! We've finished up voting on the ranking system! Every episode that involves a mission completion will get a strawpoll for ranking! Vote for the rank you think it deserves and once the next episode airs, I'll put one of these handy dandy little markers in spoilers next to the episode in the OP!

Shoutouts to my amazing artist Bifauxnen for cooking these up for the thread!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Where's "Funky's loving Failure", Nat? :colbert:

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

GeneX posted:

Where's "Funky's loving Failure", Nat? :colbert:

That would imply Funky failing at anything.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Trasson posted:

That would imply Funky failing at anything.

no, see, the failure is Nat failing Funky

Jen X fucked around with this message at 09:30 on May 21, 2019

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Woof, I see Dash is still with your newer guys... maybe not in spirit, or The Force... but stank, perhaps.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
To be fair to the new guys, taking a 63% axe throw and a 55% shot and expecting to hit the enemy is quite optimistic in XCOM. Perhaps feeding the newbies archon kills is aiming a bit high?

Ironic that they shredded the other way onto the roof with the last pod. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Still, looking forward to seeing how the rest of the mission turns out.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Having that 100% chance deception show up as your hack reward was pretty clutch.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

https://www.strawpoll.me/18037958

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 23, 2019

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

There's actually quite a bit of differences between Emi and Nat; she's got Salvo, and has more abilities, more HP, better hacking, and better will. When Nat reaches an equal rank, he's still liable to be worse than her by virtue of Salvo being better than shadowstep, given your playstyle, and from the bonus stats.

which tbf is very fitting, I'm better than you at a lot of stuff :h:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Natural 20 posted:

Banners will go up tomorrow-ish!

Haha, this one's my bad, I was so busy trying to finish Dangan Ronpa V3 I totally forgot I'd only got the first one ready so far for this week! :sweatdrop:

(DRV3 is seriously good btw, imo)

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

It's not that you're not expected to do anything, Tea! You have a stock! That means you're here to compensate for Nat! :v:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Objective:
+10 for low level soldiers
-12 for repeat soldiers
-3 for Alien Hunters gear
+10 for fall kill
+10 for fighting two pods at once
-5 for use of Dominate
+13 for aliens killed
+6 for turns left

Total: 34

Overall rank:

-S ranks cannot be awarded on missions where mimic/frost/dominate is used
-Dishonorable kills of mind controlled aliens :(
-You still aren't really using your team as a cohesive whole, rather than individual soldiers. You're effective at the moment, but how efficient can you be?

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 23, 2019

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Omg fun and gun on a heavy is so good.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Hey, an Archon actually got to use Blazing Pinions. I don't want anything bad to happen, I just want you guys to actually see everything in the game. So I'm also happy you've gotten to see the Gatekeeper's Consume in a roundabout way.

I think the Chrysalid's eternally pregnant sac is the one thing we haven't seen.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Dr Christmas posted:

I think the Chrysalid's eternally pregnant sac is the one thing we haven't seen.
Aren't those WotC only? Mind you, at this point it wouldn't even slow them down.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

anilEhilated posted:

Aren't those WotC only? Mind you, at this point it wouldn't even slow them down.

Nope, there were no changes to Chrysalids in the expansion. The shift from zombies to cocoons happened between games.

I don't think they'll let the chrysalids get their guys. Them killing civilians is much more likely.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

https://www.strawpoll.me/18048950

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Here’s a suggestion because I want you guys to see as much as possible: switch the proving grounds project to a WAR suit.

I thought cocoons spit out three chrysallids, but it seems only two came out?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Dr Christmas posted:

I thought cocoons spit out three chrysallids, but it seems only two came out?

Same. Maybe that depends on the difficulty setting?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Suggestion: give Ma's gun a deeper clip so that she can shoot aliens more betterer with killzone and serial.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
It's odd how gunshy you guys were about the chryssalids, since I think this is the first time you've even been hit by one.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

The thread did end up indicating that chrysalids are infamously dangerous.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

vorebane posted:

The thread did end up indicating that chrysalids are infamously dangerous.

I think this is a sense that comes from people who played UFO Defense

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
It's mainly that when we last fought chrysalids, one managed to just appear off turn and run up and poison one of us.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ikanreed posted:

I think this is a sense that comes from people who played UFO Defense

Or visited a fishing town in the previous game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Dash Rendar, Hero of the Resistance. :allears:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I love a good redemption arc:allears:

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

I appreciated the MODOK reference.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

It's mainly that when we last fought chrysalids, one managed to just appear off turn and run up and poison one of us.
I thought it whiffed because Pete had procced Untouchable that turn.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Dead Reckoning posted:

I thought it whiffed because Pete had procced Untouchable that turn.

It did, but it's pal rushed and stabbed Emi, as I recall.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, I definitely hut the avatar when I was still mostly magnetic weapons...

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

hooray for newbies!