Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
The only things that comes immediately to mind for a mission rating system is

D for Dash Was On This One

cuz goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I love how mechanical/semi-mechanical units seem to give no fucks about the status of the bases they're supposed to be protecting, and will happily steamroll everything in their path. Like, not even to murder you; that andromedon just crashed through a fence because it was between him and his date spot.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Just so we're clear! Suggestions on the rating system for our style are open. We'll put whatever we get to a vote on Friday.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Never gave an enemy a chance to act +1
Found out what a bad guy does if you give him a chance to act +5
Hit more than one dude at once +1 per extra
Engage in single combat with an alien and win +10
above, but severa gave me vision +4
Engage in single combat with an alien rul- aw damnit
Stand out of cover +1
Don't get shot for it +2

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I like all of those.

But to be clear we're talking about ranks ala DMC or Bayonetta.

So something like going from D-SSS rank with appropriately silly names for the ranks.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

hmmmm….

SSS = X-Comulent!

I think I'll need to sleep on it for more.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to propose a system based on the amount of violence delivered to the poor aliens:

Diplomatic
Cushioned
Battered
in Agony
Scorched
Scorched and Savaged
Scorched, Savaged and Splattered

Work in progress obviously.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

anilEhilated posted:

Scorched, Savaged and Shanty'd

Work in progress obviously.

Better S

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hahaha I like this one a lot

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I like Splattered, maybe something along the lines of
Savaged
Savagely Splattered
Savaged, Splattered and Shanty'd

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Clearly the correct choice.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Codexes have an unusual blend of both mechanical and organic strengths and weaknesses!

Specifically:
Vulnerable to psychic attacks and flashbangs that affect organic enemies
Bonus damage from blue screen rounds and EMP grenades
No bonus damage from Combat Protocol or Capacitor Discharge
Cannot be hacked
Immunity to all damage-over-time effects

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 16, 2019

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
*Codicies.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 16, 2019

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I think it's fun how they roll their eyes at Andromedons but still hold Shieldbearers in awe and fear. Has an Andromedon ever gotten an acid grenade off?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Ranking system:
Start with 5 points.
+1 point per enemy killed
+3 points per turn left on mission counter for timed missions
-3 points per civilian lost on terror missions

+5 per low level (Lieutenant or less) soldier on mission
-3 points per soldier on mission who was on previous mission

+3 points for killing an enemy with a DoT effect
+5 points for killing an enemy with a flanking shot from a non-Ranger soldier
+5 points for effective use of Fuse (destroying terrain or damaging an enemy aside from the target)
+5 points for causing fall damage to an enemy
+5 points for killing an enemy with an environmental explosive
+10 points for killing an enemy with fall damage
+10 points for wiping out a fresh pod during the "Alien Activity" phase by any means
-3 points shooting at a pod with overwatch during the "Alien Activity" phase and not wiping it out on the subsequent XCOM turn
+10 points for wiping out a fresh pod during an overwatch ambush (one soldier may act to alert the pod, but all enemies must die before the next non-overwatch XCOM action)
+10 points for fighting two pods at once, on purpose or otherwise (turrets do not count)
+15 points for causing one non-mind controlled enemy to kill another with friendly fire

+5 points per piece of accessory equipment or heavy weapon brought for the first time
-1 point per Alien Hunters DLC weapon or armor brought on mission
-3 points per appearance of the "aliens this direction" sound indicator
-5 points per turn ended with 3 or more soldiers on overwatch that does not result in enemy contact during the "Alien Activity" phase
-5 points for use of Dominate
-15 points for use of a mimic beacon
-25 points for use of a frost grenade

Dr Christmas posted:

I think it's fun how they roll their eyes at Andromedons but still hold Shieldbearers in awe and fear. Has an Andromedon ever gotten an acid grenade off?
If one hasn't someone has been looking at spoilers, because they discussed it on a previous mission. :nyd:

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 16, 2019

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Think I'd see using dominate as a plus. Even more so because it seems that with the new soldiers they're already choosing not to use George to his fullest because he won't gain XP from kills.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Dominate is boring and makes endgame combat even more trivial than it already is. If Dominate was completely removed from the game, Psi Ops would still be the best class bar none.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

I was thinking dominate could be used to sneakily find out what the bad dudes do, my partial scheme would award points for it, given that it's the most stylish possible way of giving the bad guys a chance to do a thing.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Or they could just play without frost grenades and mimic beacons, and find out the way you're supposed to.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

i mean that would be a shade of X-Comulent but we're not the ones who're supposed to be Shanty'd.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Dominate really isn't stylish at all. It doesn't even have a time limit or possible downside like haywire protocol and by the end of the game, it's 90%+ effective against Andromedons and Elite Shieldbearers, 2 of the 3 enemies you want it for anyway.

If your troops never get endangered, and you're never surprised, and you only find out what aliens do when you mind control them to turn them against the others, I feel like you're not really playing XCOM the way it was designed, but you do you.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think that "Excellent" or "Flawless" mission ratings should give +5/+10 points.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Dominate is fun and unique, if very strong, and incentivizing the lpers not using fun things is bad; same goes for hacking! Frost grenades (and the alien ruler dlc in general, I suppose, though the bonuses are marginal outside the freezing) are one thing, but "the game is too easy in its own right, let's not let them play with the interesting toys it gave or let them use the enemy powers" just leads to over-caution and undifferentiated slogs.

Here's a few suggestions for rating elements (balancing fun vs difficulty vs challenge), putting the threshold somewhere around "every 15 points is a higher rank, names tbd and extending into the negative, point values definitely up for debate", starting at 0:

Use a soldier who wasn't on the previous mission: +5 for each
Reuse a soldier from the previous mission: -5 for each
Use a fully leveled soldier: -5 for each (ignore for plot missions.)
Use a soldier for the first time: +5 for each, +10 for SPARK (one time bonus)
Get a flawless rating: +5
Soldier injured: -5 for each
Soldier killed: -15 for each
Pod (effectively) wiped out before your turn after activation (overwatch ambush/DOT deaths/buried under rubble): +10 for each
Pod wiped out on your first turn after activation, before they can move: +5 for each
Hacked and controlled a non-turret enemy: +5 for each
Hacked and controlled a sectopod: +10 for each
Dominated an enemy other than an advent soldier of any kind: +5 (for each?)
Dominated a gatekeeper or andromedon: +10 (for each?)
Fuse used on an enemy to good effect (more than damage to a singe target): +5
Multiple Enemies wounded by single unit in single turn, beyond the first: +3 each, +5 for each kill.
Enemy killed: +1 for each, +3 for each enemy with more than 20 health.
Turns taken after spotting enemy: -3 for each (ignored for timed missions or plot missions). (Does not include scanning protocol usage or hacked tower vision.)
Overwatch shots hit: +1 for each, +5 if multiple shots from same person hit in a row.
Mimic Beacon used: -10 for each
Frost Grenade used: -15 for each
Emi, George, or Pete die: -30 (add to -15 from death)
California or Ma die: -20 (add to -15 from death)
Funky or Kerath die: - 20 (add to -15 from death)
Ella dies: -15 (add to -15 from death)
Severa dies: Incalculable failure to protect waifu, rating scale broken
Mission failed: Disgusting.

Proposed tiers:

-76 to -90: Go play Yoshi instead; just end this LP, you hack.
-61 to -75: Godawful.
-46 to -60: Ew.
-31 to -45: How did you suddenly get so bad?
-16 to -30: Critical Failure.
-1 to -15: Bad.
0: BORING
1 to 15: Meh.
16 to 30: Not bad.
31 to 45: Right proper job.
46 to 60: Good show!
61 to 75: Keelhauled 'em!
76 to 90: Whoa.
91 to 105: Amazing!
106+: Go play Yoshi instead; just end this LP, you ridiculously talented man.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 16, 2019

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

GeneX posted:

Dominate is fun and unique, if very strong, and incentivizing the lpers not using fun things is bad; same goes for hacking! Frost grenades (and the alien ruler dlc in general, I suppose, though the bonuses are marginal outside the freezing) are one thing, but "the game is too easy in its own right, let's not let them play with the interesting toys it gave or let them use the enemy powers" just leads to over-caution and undifferentiated slogs.
I kinda agree with this. I feel like we shouldn't be over-restrictive on the LPers, and while Dominate is super powerful, it doesn't necessarily allow you to just put up an AI script to autoclick and go get dinner like the frost grenades and mimic beacon do.

GeneX posted:

Soldier injured: -5 for each
Soldier killed: -15 for each
Emi, George, or Pete die: -30 (add to -15 from death)
California or Ma die: -20 (add to -15 from death)
Funky or Kerath die: - 20 (add to -15 from death)
Ella dies: -15 (add to -15 from death)
I don't think penalizing soldier death is a good idea. The game already does that (you don't have that soldier to use any more, and the higher level the soldier the more it hurts to lose them). Penalizing soldier injury is the same; the game already penalizes you for letting your soldiers get injured by preventing you from using them until they're healed. I could see some sliding scale that values rookies more than experienced soldiers (to prevent Nat and Tea from treating rookies as ablative armor for their better guys) working, as long as the benefit to carrying rookies on the team outweighs the cost of losing the rookies.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

GeneX posted:

Dominate is fun and unique, if very strong, and incentivizing the lpers not using fun things is bad; same goes for hacking!
Hacking forces you to at least make a tactical consideration about its use instead of immediately spamming it on the biggest and baddest robot you can see. There's nothing fun or unique about Dominate after the first time: the aliens use all their powers fine on their own, and it doesn't encourage creative play because its once per mission limit encourages you to save it for the handful of aliens that are easy to dominate and make good meatshields Andromedons or are easy to dominate and have powers that disproportionately synergize well with XCOM squads. Shieldbearers I only made it a -5 because I want them to try out the other Psi Powers instead of turning Dr. Funk into "the guy we bring because he's a two-for-one."

Commander Keene posted:

I think that "Excellent" or "Flawless" mission ratings should give +5/+10 points.
That runs solely off of number of soldiers wounded at this point (and civilians during terror missions...) which is effectively the same as:

Commander Keene posted:

I don't think penalizing soldier death is a good idea. The game already does that
It's a terrible idea for exactly the reason you stated.

GeneX posted:

Pod wiped out on your first turn after activation, before they can move: +5 for each
There is no reason to reward something that is normal for endgame XCOM play and that the LPers are already doing. If you aren't wiping out single pods after an overwatch+full turn in the endgame, you should be taking a penalty.

Your rating system is bad because it encourages them to either continue doing the things they are already doing, or to take safe and optimal choices that they will doubtless discover on their own. The game already rewards that. Stylish should be about pulling off difficult or complex tasks.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 16, 2019

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

The detailed point systems are fun to post and see how everyone personally weights things, but I think trying to actually follow one to the letter would get old fast.

My own system would be a more vague one, based on overall feel of the episode/mission:

F = Actual mission failure

D = Totally by the book, nothing exciting happens (or anything challenging either, such as training up a new rookie or SPARK), and frost grenades/mimic beacons contribute to the total lack of risk

C = Mostly by the book but at least something pretty cool or funny happens, like when they immediately executed that Sectopod

B = Any episode/mission where use of more "fun" tactics (or abilities like Faceoff) becomes more the rule than the exception.

A = Anything where they discover some totally new trick that makes Nat cackle with glee, comparable to when they first started using Serial on Pete

S-SSS = Anything on the level of that one mission where Ma nearly missed evac by one tile

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

S-SSS = Anything on the level of that one mission where Ma nearly missed evac by one tile

That one was awesome. It's nice to see them make new discoveries about how the different game systems interact rather than falling back on what they know.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I won't implement a detailed point system just because I don't have it in me to tally the count every single mission. (The spiked death count in the Mega Man LPs was enough for me)

I know I suggested D-SSS tier based on DMC, but I'd be totally fine with something like Z-XX because it's XCOM or a Stone/Bronze.../Pure Platinum system ala Bayonetta!

It's all very much up to you guys really!

Hell my suggestion would be.

Dash Tier - An utter unstylish mess
Spag Tier - Meandering into style at times.
Kerath Tier - Effective but unexciting.
Ella Tier - Sudden Bursts of style in a solid performance
Emi Tier - Stylish, but too efficient
Mustang Tier - Needlessly cool
Shanty Tier - You killed how many enemies in a turn and got the objective?
Severa Tier - Only the greatest of perfomances can get here

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

D tier's always going to be making GBS threads on Dash isn't it?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I've always liked the Viewtiful Joe ranking. D'oh, Crappy, Bad, Awesome, Viewtiful

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Natural 20 posted:

I won't implement a detailed point system just because I don't have it in me to tally the count every single mission. (The spiked death count in the Mega Man LPs was enough for me)

I know I suggested D-SSS tier based on DMC, but I'd be totally fine with something like Z-XX because it's XCOM or a Stone/Bronze.../Pure Platinum system ala Bayonetta!

It's all very much up to you guys really!

Hell my suggestion would be.

Dash Tier - An utter unstylish mess
Spag Tier - Meandering into style at times.
Kerath Tier - Effective but unexciting.
Ella Tier - Sudden Bursts of style in a solid performance
Emi Tier - Stylish, but too efficient
Mustang Tier - Needlessly cool
Shanty Tier - You killed how many enemies in a turn and got the objective?
Severa Tier - Only the greatest of perfomances can get here

Ooh, okay, this seems fun, aside from Severa Tier being better suited for "Nat gets bailed out somehow after hilariously screwing up", the best type of episode, I like it

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

GeneX posted:

Ooh, okay, this seems fun, aside from Severa Tier being better suited for "Nat gets bailed out somehow after hilariously screwing up", the best type of episode, I like it
SSS - Severa's Shotgun Surprise
SS - Serial Shanty
S - "SWORD!" ("NO NAT" "SWOOOOOORRRRD")
???
D - Damnit, Dash

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The real answer is to actively push the story forwards and wrap up the game now that you've got essentially all the toys. What are you waiting for?

Like, imagine a jrpg lp where there's a dozen updates of the lper grinding random encounters instead of just going and fighting the final boss.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
How much more is there to this game anyway? I never got far because my rinky-dink laptop couldn't really handle it.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

ManlyGrunting posted:

How much more is there to this game anyway? I never got far because my rinky-dink laptop couldn't really handle it.

This and one other plot mission, a special skulljack objective after they complete their one currently available shadow project, three shadow projects based on the loot they get from those plot missions, and a mini-mission immediately followed by the big final mission.

Plus anything that pops up while all that is being researched, and any time to get all the continent bonuses.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
They're on par for a normal XCOM2 first play through, but those make terrible television, because an overly cautious approach results in sitting around over-leveled, doing pop-up missions and guerrilla ops while you wait for your many Shadow Chamber projects to finish.

God help us if they insist on researching all normal tech before tackling the endgame.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

ManlyGrunting posted:

We're basically through all the interesting parts except the end. There's one more non-final plot mission, as noted above, but that doesn't really offer anything exciting except what would have been the debut of the Gatekeeper. Of course, Orb Buddy is just around now, so it's going to be a non-event. The next skulljack objective offers the same sort of surprise as the Officer one, and if they're really not using Frost Grenades anymore that might be a bit of a challenge. To be honest, I'd be totally ok if we just skipped the remaining missions, showed the last plot mission, showed when they do the skulljack, and then showed the last mission. But then again I know this game way too well and others who don't would probably like to see an honest, unabridged play-through so I won't seriously advocate that.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Jabor posted:

The real answer is to actively push the story forwards and wrap up the game now that you've got essentially all the toys. What are you waiting for?

Like, imagine a jrpg lp where there's a dozen updates of the lper grinding random encounters instead of just going and fighting the final boss.

In fairness that's what we're literally doing!

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

T to XXX would likely be the best range for XXX-Com rankings.

Maybe...

Terrible!
Useless!
Venal!
Whew!
X-Competent.
XX-comulent!
XXX-Commendable!

e:I think these are better.

vorebane fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

https://www.strawpoll.me/18009288