Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

T/G are the default zoom in/out. There is a way to change them and other bindings, but it might only be accessible from the main menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Also, it was already mentioned but as a reminder don't forget holding ALT to see the targetability icons for the current move cursor's location. Then you don't need to zoom out, necessarily.

Edit: a surprisingly early appearance for the new trooper type! Have fun with those fuckers.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 15, 2019

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
You can move someone and then hit tab to switch to someone else. You don't NEED to use both actions at the same time/consecutively.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I know you don't want too much advice, but remember that you can move to flank an enemy and then fire. When the advent officer was up on the roof shooting down at you you had an easy flank with multiple soldiers.

Also overwatch is great in certain situations but it has an accuracy penalty - you shouldn't use it as a substitute for actually shooting.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Soul Reaver posted:

If you want to know if you can see an enemy from a given square, hold down the ALT key while hovering.

It'll show you icons indicating which (known) enemies will be visible. Including if they're flanked, in Squadsight range etc etc. I use it constantly.

I'm in the game right now and this option does not exist or work for me. I have no idea what's going on.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Natural 20 posted:

I'm in the game right now and this option does not exist or work for me. I have no idea what's going on.

It might be added in the expansion. It actually changes a lot of stuff and basically re-writes the engine.

I normally use "z" to zoom out to see the icon for whether a soldier can see the enemy, but it can still sometimes be tricky to get the target and soldier on the same screen. I believe that's the default key/in the base game.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Bremen posted:

It might be added in the expansion. It actually changes a lot of stuff and basically re-writes the engine.

I normally use "z" to zoom out to see the icon for whether a soldier can see the enemy, but it can still sometimes be tricky to get the target and soldier on the same screen. I believe that's the default key/in the base game.

Pretty sure it was an expansion feature, yeah.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Pretty sure it was an expansion feature, yeah.

Dang, sorry we were plugging it then. It's a major QoL improvement and War of the Chosen changes so much around it's easy to forget what wasn't always there.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Dang, sorry we were plugging it then. It's a major QoL improvement and War of the Chosen changes so much around it's easy to forget what wasn't always there.

I am saved by the fact that I mainly play Long War 2, a mod most goons hate that never got updated for the expansion.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Natural 20 posted:

Well poo poo. Sorry about that. I guess zoom in/out is your only choice then.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
A rousing start for ol Keraf, a rousing start indeed!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

On the bright side, we can't ruin your Blind experience because we don't know how to play anymore either.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

sniper4625 posted:

A rousing start for ol Keraf, a rousing start indeed!

Hooray!

Emi went forward too far, missed, got shot for her troubles, and retreated

v true to life

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
If you see electronic advertising boards on the game map, they have faces of wanted criminals on them. Namely, the people from your roster. Neat detail.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

goddamn, Ma is kicking rear end on the front line! This is wonderful :swoon:

Znorelag
Oct 25, 2009
Page 3 and 4 of the xcom manual has some useful keyboard shortcuts that might help make your life easier.

Manuals can be found on the 2k games webpage here.

For example, I use "Y" (overwatch) a lot when I play to set my goons on overwatch. This combined with tab and you can set your entire team on overwatch in a second. Very useful for missions with no timer where you want to wait for a patrol. Also, you overwatch a lot in xcom.

By the way. Can I ask that my character grows a beard while in med bay?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Znorelag posted:

Page 3 and 4 of the xcom manual has some useful keyboard shortcuts that might help make your life easier.

Manuals can be found on the 2k games webpage here.

For example, I use "Y" (overwatch) a lot when I play to set my goons on overwatch. This combined with tab and you can set your entire team on overwatch in a second. Very useful for missions with no timer where you want to wait for a patrol. Also, you overwatch a lot in xcom.

By the way. Can I ask that my character grows a beard while in med bay?

On the bottom of the screen, the abilities/actions are numbered. 1 is shoot, 2 is overwatch, etc.

Spacebar is also an "Accept this" button, so you can hit 2 and 2 again to confirm, or hit 2 and spacebar to confirm.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
You're getting better. I would recommend you start dividing up your turns into two segments. Movement and firing.

Move dude a b c d with the walk speed before using their second action.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

After playing XCOM 1 a lot and watching Jadestar's LP of this game I never really felt the urge to buy it, but the first mission of this wonderful LP is really making my eye twitch. As a coping mechanism I'm going to have to grab it myself and if anyone else is in the same position, the Humble Store has currently got the usual round of heavy discounts on both the base game and +WotC version.

Anyway I'm cheering you on and hoping for a full on archetypal journey of the rise, the hubristic fall and the final redemptive crushing of our alien overlords.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Tossed another dude in for the Memorial to the fallen character pool

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So this LP made me decide to play through War of the Chosen, having not touched XCOM 2 since my Vanilla playthrough.

:stare: These developers are dicks. In the best possible way.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I'm halfway through episode four at the moment. You completely missed the "Edit Key Bindings" in the options menu (edit: In the Interface tab.)

The scroll wheel should work as default.

Double edit: It's good to see that you've learnt a lot and have become methodical with it. It'll be second nature soon enough.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 16, 2019

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Affi posted:

You're getting better. I would recommend you start dividing up your turns into two segments. Movement and firing.

Move dude a b c d with the walk speed before using their second action.

This is a must, as are fireteam tactics - use blue moves to scout with all 4 team members, or you're chronically going to be one person short when firing at aliens which will not end well for you.

Also, Q and E rotate the camera, which is really useful at times like this last video when you can't see some parts of the map or how much you can hit with a grenade.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Bremen posted:

Yeah, sorry, this is possible. I've never played the game without War of the Chosen, so if it wasn't in there before, I wouldn't have known.
I can barely imagine playing it without that feature...

Glalev
Jan 28, 2009

Soul Reaver posted:

Yeah, sorry, this is possible. I've never played the game without War of the Chosen, so if it wasn't in there before, I wouldn't have known.
I can barely imagine playing it without that feature...

I think there was a mod for that function and then WotC integrated it fully. It's an amazing quality of life feature that makes planning a lot better though, yeah.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Glalev posted:

I think there was a mod for that function and then WotC integrated it fully. It's an amazing quality of life feature that makes planning a lot better though, yeah.

WotC is one of those expansions that has some big shiny upfront setpieces (namely the Chosen) but also has a bunch of other things to make life easier/interesting that integrate so well you forget they had to be added. For example I just realized they've got the old skill trees. (Short version: WotC has the same skills but some expanded options on how to get them.) I wonder what else we're going to come across as this LP goes on.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
I kind of miss the option from XCOM 1 to randomize the skill trees, it made for more varied and interesting gameplay.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

You don't need to unlock doors. You could have just sprinted straight through that door and kicked it open.

Also, the "mega-trikes" blow up more easily than regular cars, as you noticed.

But overall, I do agree you got a bit screwed on this one. The reinforcements appearing behind you cost you time you needed since you had to backtrack; if they'd been between you and the target building you would have made it without changing anything tactical. Though it would have been tight and you'd have needed to ignore that last enemy group while you shot the transmitter.

Edit: that mission causing you to lose the game entirely was an edge case. Not going to explain the rules precisely because there's stuff you haven't seen in the game involved in the explanation, but don't take the lesson that mission failure = game over in general.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 17, 2019

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

How to know when cars will explode versus smoking for a turn:

Whenever it screws you over the most. There's some sort of logic behind it but don't rely on anything. You know how you were told half cover is a trap (I personally disagree with that, just don't treat it as a wall)? Cars are the true trap. The deadliest thing in this game is not an alien it is a parking lot.

E: as for the option to restart the mission, that's because this is a forced tutorial mission and failure is not an option. Later missions will behave differently.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 17, 2019

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Failing a mission like you did in the first half is a normal and expected part of XCOM. I'm guessing that for reason this first "regular" mission is considered one of the main story introduction missions.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
The exact way in which XCOM abstracts cover and line of sight can take a bit to wrap your head around, even with active, deliberate observation. Discard any thoughts of "I can totally poke around this corner and shoot that guy in the molecule" that shooters may have taught!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Welp

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The turn timer missions exist because otherwise the main strategy is to slowly creep forward one inch per turn with overwatch and they want to discourage that kind of playstyle when you're supposedly playing as a resistance force that does guerilla hit and run operations.

Also I'm pretty sure that failing one of those random missions doesn't normally end the run. I guess it treated it the same as a story mission as it's the first introduction to one of those?

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 17, 2019

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Beaten to the punch, but: This must have been an early plot/tutorial mission of sorts. Normally missions don't lead to game over screens when you fail the mission. Bummer.

Rolling with failures is very much a part of the game, so enjoy that. If some bloodied lump of flesh manages to crawl back to the evac zone at the end of a mission, it can be considered a success of sorts.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So, Nat, if I just skipped the character creator form and just said “Make Dash Rendar”, would you know what I was talking about?

Also has Blind Sally already submitted Dash Rendar?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm pretty sure the game over was not because it's a tutorial mission, but because failing a guerrilla op makes you lose contact with the region it is in, and currently they only have their HQ region, so womp womp.

Triggering an overwatch ambush with a grenade is a good move btw, so kudos for learning!

EDIT: Oh yeah, opening a door happens with the left mouse button, but it can be a bit wonky sometimes so you might as well use the icon in the skillbar. However, if you are no longer in concealment then it doesn't matter since you can just move through it and the character will kick it open as they go.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 17, 2019

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

nine-gear crow posted:

So, Nat, if I just skipped the character creator form and just said “Make Dash Rendar”, would you know what I was talking about?

Also has Blind Sally already submitted Dash Rendar?

Of course I would! But, I don't think I've had anyone submit him yet. So I'll add him to the list.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Eep how has no one mentioned this bit yet? Spoilered just in case Nat doesn't want to hear it, but if they keep doing it because of a rules misunderstanding, it might bite them HARD at a later point... :stonk:

"Cover doesn't matter because we're in concealment" is not entirely correct.

Well, it's true that if you're concealed, enemies won't go automatically gunning straight for you like they would if you were revealed. But not staying in cover is an extremely easy way to lose concealment.

If the enemies had walked towards you instead of continuing to wander off to the side, they could've spotted anyone they were flanking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Nordick posted:

I'm pretty sure the game over was not because it's a tutorial mission, but because failing a guerrilla op makes you lose contact with the region it is in, and currently they only have their HQ region, so womp womp.

Triggering an overwatch ambush with a grenade is a good move btw, so kudos for learning!

EDIT: Oh yeah, opening a door happens with the left mouse button, but it can be a bit wonky sometimes so you might as well use the icon in the skillbar. However, if you are no longer in concealment then it doesn't matter since you can just move through it and the character will kick it open as they go.

On your spoiler:
Nah, losing a guerilla op just denies you the reward and leaves the dark event active. resistance ops and whatever the new terror missions are called are the ones that make you lose contact.

Would you too care if someone posted a graphic on what did and didn't constitute flanking? As noted above it's very gamey, and the game doesn't really explain how it works for such an important part of strategy. (See all the dudes you had point blank 45%s on because the had full cover against you)