Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

About The Game

The original XCOM was a science fiction strategy video game series that began with the title UFO: Enemy Unknown in 1994. Published by MicroProse, the game received sequels in 95, 96, 97 and 98. The premise of the series is that an alien invasion in 1999 prompts the creation of a paramilitary organisation to combat the new threat. The turn-based combat games that resulted were widely praised thanks to their deep gameplay and compelling story, as well as the fascinating aspect of permadeath wherein soldiers that died in a mission would remain dead for the rest of the game.

However, subsequent to the acquisition of the franchise by Hasbro and a disastrous third person shooter release, XCOM Enforcer, in 2001 the proud series fell by the wayside, with planned sequels quietly cancelled as the studio wound down.

And for 9 years the series lay dormant, until an announcement by 2K Marin in 2010. The studio announced a reimagining of the series slated for 2011, however after being repeatedly mishandled the game ended up being Shanghai’d by another effort, this time from Firaxis Games.

In 2012 Firaxis, led by MicroProse founder, Sid Meier announced the development of XCOM: Enemy Unknown. The game garnered universal praise on release, wowing fans both with both its faith to the original as well as use of more modern gameplay conceits. An expansion, Enemy Within a year later would maintain that high standard, improving character customisation and continuing the story.

But that wasn’t the end. Buoyed by the success of the game, Firaxis would continue their efforts, announcing XCOM 2 for release in 2016.
Continuing the trend of excellence, Firaxis hit it out of the park once again, with critics stunned to find a game that had built upon the foundations of its predecessor whilst still innovating enough to keep things fresh.

About the LP

I alongside the strategic Yorkshire Tea will be a running an ironman (a single save, no reloads) video LP of XCOM 2. We’re also doing this blind which will hopefully make it even more ridiculous. Our objective is to complete the game on normal difficulty. If we get to a point where the game because impossible to complete, the LP will be declared over and we’ll conclude on our experiment barring fan demand.

As we’re going in blind, part of the fun will be our reaction to the story and how it pans out. As such I’d appreciate if story and mechanic discussion related to areas we have not reached yet be covered under spoiler tags. Like this!

Character Submission!

As part of the LP we would like you, the people reading this thread to submit characters to us for the run, either via bat file which can be done by PMing me a link for the download on the forums, or via the google form linked below:

XCOM 2 Character Submission

A character creation video has also been provided just in case you don’t own the game but want to submit a character anyway:

XCOM 2 Character Creator Video

I am happy for people to submit partial characters and have me fill out blanks as appropriate, a core idea in the description would be handy however!

Character Submission is Open At All Times.

I will take any and all ideas, be they celebrities, video game characters or anything else, I would ask though that submissions be staggered somewhat. Whilst I appreciate some viewers will have a thousand ideas, I’d ideally like to avoid crowding out those people who have only submitted one.

:siren:There will be a gap between this thread opening and episode 1 to allow time for character submissions for our initial batch of soldiers.:siren:

And that is more than enough from me, so sit back, relax and enjoy the carnage.

Episodes

Hall of Fame

Rk. Sarah "Dervish" Othmani - Operation Spider Hand - Kills 3 - Missions 1

Rk. That "Italianguy" Italianguy - Operation Spider Hand - Kills 2 - Missions 1

Cpl. Wordy "Early" Bird - Operation Bone Shadow - Kills 5 - Missions 3

Cpl. Blast "Mclargehuge" Hardcheese - Operation Ghost Walker - Kills 7 - Missions 3

Sqd. Oskar "Znorelag" Nilsson - Operation Ghost Walker - Kills 4 - Missions 3

Rk. Abraham "Alienhunter" Lincoln - Operation Twisted Sceptre - Kills 1 - Missions 1

Art

Episode 27 Alternate Banner (in spoilers)

Episode 38 Alternate Banner (in spoilers)

Episode 51 Alternate Banner (in spoilers)

Episode 54 Alternate Banner (in spoilers_

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Reserved in case it's needed. Yes we promised XCOM Enemy Within but the character creator is nowhere near as versatile.

Episode 1 will be out on the 7th of January. I'd also appreciate it greatly if you post in here when you submit a character so I know approximately how much creation I'm going to have to do.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 2, 2019

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
We'll be playing on normal and I'll make sure that the LP is crash proof.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Coolguye posted:

oh christ

if yall need an xcom veteran to rock on with commentary at some point i'm available. i've been a megafan of xcom since the OG

on a related note i'll submit my character when i get home from work, the world needs more HATE

Appreciated as ever, but the fun is going to be how we hilariously get our soldiers killed owing to our inexperience!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Mordja posted:

Are you playing the base game or WOTC?

Sorry! Forgot to get to this. On the advice of a few veterans we are playing the base game with no additional DLC beyond cosmetic stuff.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

LashLightning posted:

The "for an additional twist" bit is repeated in the 00 video. I thought that was really odd, and couldn't see anyone else bringing it up, so~

Yeah it's come up. In sound editing I cut the sentence and put it back in again after a rerecord, but apparently I'm a genius and didn't cut the exact time I wanted.

The only way to fix it now would be to reupload the intro which is something I will get to (probably upon archive or a little deeper into the LP) but for the moment will break a bunch of stuff I've set up for continuity on youtube.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Gentle reminder that we're starting our recording tomorrow, so if you want to submit a soldier for the first pool then please get them in sharpish!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

StoryTime posted:

I run my campaigns off the goonpool from the games thread. It has XCOM soldier versions of all kinds of posters, for example Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka is in there. It's mondo cool.

This seems really cool, but it would come at the cost of people who've submitted their stuff getting to see their personal avatars murdered in favour of a random other goon. I think our pool is currently 25-30 soldiers deep which will hopefully be okay. (I'm completely unsure, they might drop like flies, who knows?)

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

While I'm uploading characters, I also have Trump and Mitch McConnell. Not sure if we want to go that route, just let me know.

Mr Jackson will go up later tonight.

I'm not going to touch political figures with a barge pole, I'll say that now.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bremen posted:

This is indeed the case. Have fun with that!

(If you don't want the Alien Hunters content at all, you have to disable the DLC by right clicking the game in Steam and selecting properties. You'd probably need to start a new campaign, though)

Oh ho. Okay.

I've disabled the DLC and it lets me load the save but warns of potential instability. That said I'm not seeing anything going wrong on load so maybe we're okay?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm not disabling robots.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

That Italian Guy posted:

If you have not already recorded additional content, you can start a new campaign without losing anything: the tutorial is 100% scripted/fixed content. You wouldn't even need to re-record it.

We've done stuff after the tutorial unfortunately which I wouldn't want to lose.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
For the record, I'm watching all of this again and basically screaming at myself.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bremen posted:

This may be one of those things, but if you're mousing over places you can move your soldier, enemies have an icon next to their hp to show whether you can shoot them from there.

Also, at one point you say something about only being able to move up and take a point blank shot with a ranger, which isn't true; melee weapons let you make a double move and then attack, you can still make a single move and then shoot even at 1 tile range (as long as it isn't a sniper rifle, anyways).

I did not know that first point. That is handy.

The latter point I do know and I swear it made sense in my head when I was saying it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski posted:

As far as mechanics discussion, what are your preferences for keeping things blind? I figure full on minmax build plans is on one end, and correcting things you've misread or misassumed is on the other, but I'm not sure where things fall such as "here's the actual mechanics behind this ability the game's a bit vague on" or "(ability you unlocked) works well with (class gimmick you know about)."

So this is a bit of a blurred line as you've rightly pointed out.

Don't suggest synergies between abilities. I think that's something we should figure out on our own.

And unless the mechanic is obviously meant to be understood don't tell us what's going on behind it.

I think the best way is to imagine that XCOM is an old Snes game with a fairly sparse manual and after every recording I go to the manual to check out things I don't get.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Trasson posted:

I appreciate the highly immersive and well-fitting death sound effects.

It took me an embarrassing amount of time to edit that stuff in. Totally worth it though.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dybAuxVYH8]

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 15, 2019

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Soul Reaver posted:

If you want to know if you can see an enemy from a given square, hold down the ALT key while hovering.

It'll show you icons indicating which (known) enemies will be visible. Including if they're flanked, in Squadsight range etc etc. I use it constantly.

I'm in the game right now and this option does not exist or work for me. I have no idea what's going on.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

nine-gear crow posted:

So, Nat, if I just skipped the character creator form and just said “Make Dash Rendar”, would you know what I was talking about?

Also has Blind Sally already submitted Dash Rendar?

Of course I would! But, I don't think I've had anyone submit him yet. So I'll add him to the list.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Voting

Please vote on the thing discussed in the video here!

https://www.strawpoll.me/17258230

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 24, 2019

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Affi posted:

Jesus wept did you not remember your two warnings last video about how advancing time would fail the mission?

Also the way you dealt with the first pod was good. Efficient use of resources. Also never explore on your last movement unless its incredibly vital.

In our defence it is tremendously unclear that there's a active mission available from the UI, or at the very least when they are going to fail. I think one of the biggest failings I have with XCOM is how unfriendly it is to people just dipping in to do one mission and stopping after that.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jan 22, 2019

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

https://www.strawpoll.me/17301883

Another poll!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Mr. Vile posted:

I forget, was this intended to be a vanilla playthrough without any of the DLC? Because I'm pretty certain one of the options right now leads into DLC territory.

This was discussed a little earlier in the thread.

We intended to play with all cosmetics in the game and to that extent the Robot class counted as a cosmetic.

You can't have the cosmetic parts of DLC activated without also activating the entire DLC.

We didn't know that little fact before we aired episode 1, so I guess we're playing with DLC on.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 29, 2019

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
There's some discussion of Mindshields, but there's some stuff behind spoilers so I thought I'd put down my thoughts here.

As far as I can tell mind control is the most devastating thing that an enemy that's readily available can do to you since the action economy change behind it is huge. So I place a lot of value in stopping that from ever happening.

I'm unsure what we have aside from guaranteed damage from grenades that rivals that protection. Decoys and probes seem like cute gimmicks but I'm somewhat unsure of their value.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Sorry I'm out but this is the episode

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 31, 2019

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

That Italian Guy posted:

Hey N20, please let me know if the constant use of spoiler tags is getting annoying! We're in this weird state were most of the stuff being discussed is fairly basic/common knowledge for anyone with a few hours of gameplay but it would definitely be a spoiler for you guys at this point in the LP.

It's literally no problem at all and part of the LP. When it's done I'll be able to go back and read through all the spoilers.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 2, 2019

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Nordick posted:

"What's this icon? I think it's a supply cache!" Yes, surely a thing you are expressly supposed to NOT destroy would turn up in your list of available targets. :shepface:

If only you had clicked on it and discovered that it was in fact an explosive container that both the viper and the Advent commander were sitting next to.

In our defense this game has a lot of really unintuitive parts of its UI that we'd reasonably suspect that we might be being trolled.

In particular, why can you aim at this but not aim at a car to make it explode?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Will post the pretty pictures shortly.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 6, 2019

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Oh yes apologies guys, the video quality on the episodes is likely to be a little lower than normal because of a screw up on my end when I was recording, my sincerest apologies!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 12, 2019

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Oh also I'd appreciate bolded votes for the option you want since I'm too drunk to make a strawpoll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Affi posted:

Yeah something tells me you didn't look at the pricetag for that sniper.

BUT IT'S CALIFORNIA MUSTANG!