Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I hope my character's death will be as glorious as her canon one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Prolly a bunch of Zero Escape fans here in the LP subforum, we only start to take notice after like five additional twists

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

What a dramatic showdown at the end of the mission, wow

And here comes Ma Ferguson! :neckbeard:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Akratic Method posted:

Sectoids are weak to swords. I have no idea why, no other enemy in the game has anything like that.

Everything is weak to swords! :colbert:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

goddamn, Ma is kicking rear end on the front line! This is wonderful :swoon:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Eep how has no one mentioned this bit yet? Spoilered just in case Nat doesn't want to hear it, but if they keep doing it because of a rules misunderstanding, it might bite them HARD at a later point... :stonk:

"Cover doesn't matter because we're in concealment" is not entirely correct.

Well, it's true that if you're concealed, enemies won't go automatically gunning straight for you like they would if you were revealed. But not staying in cover is an extremely easy way to lose concealment.

If the enemies had walked towards you instead of continuing to wander off to the side, they could've spotted anyone they were flanking.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Yeah, it's fairly easy to get ready to start a mission, realise it's gonna take a while to even equip everyone the right way, call it quits for the night, then load up the game the next day not remembering at all what you were doing.

They will give you one warning the first time you go to scan something else, but after that you're screwed.

I just make it a habit now to check the mission bar before doing anything when I first load up a game, but in the early game they should really explain the concept more.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Nordick posted:

3) Contact with Mexico, because even if you won't do the Blacksite mission just yet (up to you), it's good to have the option open beforehand.

Ma is so ready to blow the poo poo out of everything in Mexico

...or Texas, but also Mexico.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

On mindshields:
I always love keeping one around to pop on any shaken soldier going back into the field. Reduced will? What reduced will?

e: lol just started watching the video, didn't need to spoiler that! See, Nat's got the right idea :cheeky:

Bifauxnen fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 29, 2019

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Shotgun chat:

I like avoiding the use of shotguns entirely. If I've got a ranger getting into close enough range for a shotgun to pay off, I'm probably just as likely to stab them anyway. And if not, well, it's still worth giving that up imo cause if I never use the shotguns, I never have to worry about paying to upgrade them separately from the standard rifles!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Bolt Casters to the face are just so goddamn satisfying!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Affi posted:

Yeah something tells me you didn't look at the pricetag for that sniper.

Well it is a blind playthrough

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Yeah gunslinger skills can be really fun. I tend to give them to Ma now just to mix things up. But long watch still seems pretty hard to give up... so maybe not 100% gunslinger.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Affi posted:

Re ammo its a trap if you don't have a mod with ammo slots. The ammo is great to mediocre but there isn't enough space on your dudes

I like making just one to put on snipers. Since they're usually too far from the action to make any good use out of a grenade instead.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

No see they really only have one acid grenade, after it blows up they have to go pick up the pieces and stick it back together before they refill it

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Eh, I don't mind the "dick move" so much since it can only ever screw you over this bad once. Expecting to be able to manage everything fine on your first run through an XCOM game is, well... not a formula for enjoyment.

Also firsts like these are precious memories! Your first skulljack, the first time you run into any new enemy, the first time you attempt any unique mission... those times when you're fearfully dealing with the truly unexpected are some of the best moments.

I still wish I could erase my memory to re-experience a certain one-off mission in XCOM 1. the fishing village.... Getting through it blind and being all OH poo poo OH poo poo OH SHIIIIIT half the time was one of the single most intense gaming experiences of my life.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Yeah, having the knowledge that XCOM can and will be an absolute dick to you is what makes facing new things for the first time so especially exhilarating. I still remember my first time invading the alien base in XCOM EU and feeling legitimately terrified, it was wonderful.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

GeneX posted:

no one's irreplaceable yet, so more people dying early on, before they've had a lot of experience sunk into them, isn't that much of an issue beyond sentimentals

Getting sentimental over your soldiers even when you know you shouldn't is one of the best things about XCOM.

I once got attached to an NPC rookie from a special scenario in XCOM1, who never would have joined the party even if he'd lived. He was just one of a few throwaway NPCs the game gives you in that mission for a little extra firepower, but goddamn he was the Rookie of Steel. One turn, I expected him to die but he just stared down a charging chryssalid, and killed it with his overwatch shot.

He managed to kill something else along the way too, and was the last of the NPC rookies standing, but he couldn't last to the end. I was very sad when he died.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

GeneX posted:

ok, fair, losing funky kong would be almost worse than losing the game overall

but still my point is that casualties have been very limited and no one vital has died

Yeah, Funky is wonderful and that would be a goddamn tragedy

As for Ma though, she's had a good long life, and always bravely faces her death head on :3:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Bremen posted:

There's a mod that lets you keep the NPCs from that mission if they get enough experience to promote :P

!

I will look into this if I bother going back to playing XCOM1 again.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Doobie Keebler posted:

I voted lightning hands because free actions are one of the most valuable things you can have available. Doubly so if it does damage.

:same:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I do like that there are timers most of the time to keep you pressing forward, but it's also real nice to get a break once in a while. So personally I'm a fan of how they've balanced it that way...

except for that scenario already mentioned where you got timers + fixed evac zone/ forced retreat, those are the ABSOLUTE WORST

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

TheKirbs posted:

I got one of those following a dark event which reduced the timer.

The gently caress am I going to do with 4 turns :mad:

:stonk:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Natural 20 posted:

Ma missed a 98% shot

:xcom:

It's even more fun when it's the last shot of your turn and you're really counting on that 90-something% shot to kill a thing before the thing murders you

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Natural 20 posted:

God Ma why can't you aim straight?

must be all the magic booze

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I like to go with covering fire myself, just because I do really love using aid protocol a lot and hate having extra cooldown. But that's a good point that Nat and Tea haven't been using it as often.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I started off already wishing the episodes were longer, but was just getting used to them being short! :cheeky:

But yeah, even though I agree now that keeping them more bite-size at first was a good idea, anyone who's watched this far is prolly invested enough now that you can start rolling out the longer episodes.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

:vince:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Nat is broadly correct to prioritise offense over defense, especially when it comes to those measly nanovests taking up a whole item slot. But man, mimic beacons are loving amazing how does he not see it? Prolly cause he's spoiled on frost bombs

GeneX posted:

I feel like the strict limit on soldier inventory slots means that you can’t afford to not bring these kill-confirm items, since leaving an enemy alive with 1 hp vs them being dead can cause a soldier to be injured for, like, a month

Which is incidentally really stupid and the injury system in this game seems utterly arbitrary, not even in a fun way

I like the way the limited inventories make each item such a meaningful decision. When you get an extra item slot later it feels like such a huge deal.

The injury system is cruel but hardly arbitrary, :cheeky: you get hit, you go on the bench, you get hit harder, you're benched longer! If you heal someone up in the field, getting their hp back up will help protect them from getting picked off now at low hp in the short term. But in the long term, the damage has still been done and it doesn't actually undo the recovery time required after the mission.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Fwoderwick posted:

On the subject of kill-confirm items:
Flashbangs are situationally great but like many things this is never well communicated. They disable enemy special abilities (like the codex clone ability), can free soldiers from mind control and disable overwatch, all the while reducing enemy aim and mobility.

Oh yeah one other nice thing about the flashbang is it has a bigger range. When a grenadier launches one instead of just throwing it by hand, it has an even bigger range. So if you got yourself facing a whole bunch of enemies, or just two who are pretty far apart, you can launch one of those puppies and often debuff the whole map.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

That Italian Guy posted:

I can't really point it out without being super obvious, but I'll repeat there is one item that you have not built yet that is so broken a lot of people self limit themselves to 1-per mission to avoid spoiling the fun at normal difficulty level.

I'm playing on commander right now and gently caress that idea haha

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Bremen posted:

For any other ranger I'd say shadowstep, but if you're planning on keeping Severa concealed I favor shadowstrike; she won't trigger overwatch while concealed anyways, and if something does go wrong having her be able to open up with a greatly boosted shot from concealment while the rest of the team is fighting can be really nice.

:agreed:

Oh btw about the 100% of shots hitting, that obviously doesn't count overwatch shots. But yeah, the team did great on this mission!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

:kimchi:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

vorebane posted:

Hey was the pool for this ever made public?

ooh yeah that would be great so everyone can read the bios for Ma and the peraMyst peeps :3:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I wish I could get a mission like this. Cause even if you lose the bonus for bringing them in alive, it would be so drat hilarious to have everyone sit in the evac zone, snipe the VIP and just immediately leave :allears:

Notty posted:

Nat A Month Ago: I don’t see how (this game) is fun.

Nat Now: *laughs maniacally while an anime pirate mows down aliens with a shotgun*

...granted, this combined with sneaking the VIP out in concealment turned out to be equally hilarious.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Qrr posted:

I appreciated the Lehrer reference.

:same:

man, look out if Pete ever gets an expanded magazine on that gun

or free reloads

or both

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

...although I guess there can only be so many enemies on one map

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I like a lot of GX's names, but they won't all fit the character limit. Which is... *checks notes* 11 characters. Unless it's more after you get DLC!

Ma's main weapon is of course, Grandpappy's Elephant Gun. But since that won't fit let's just call it the Grandpappy Gun!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

SatansOnion posted:

Ella uses her rifle to send aliens to the Ever After.

+1 for this one.

Also +1 for just "Und'niable" as Keraf's weapon, that one will fit just fine.

Could Pete's weapon fit if you take out some spaces? "YoHoHOLYSH-"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

goddammit somebody please tell me the DLC gives you longer gun names cause I just came up with "Tsunderringer" for Severa