Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Apropos of nothing, I started playing XCOM again off the back of this lp, and am about to lose to the avatar timer, which is hugely embarrassing. Do either of the first missions for alien hunters or last gift give you timer reduction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Oh god please do magnetic weapons next, mutons and robits are going to mess you up.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Affi posted:

He was basically fine since overwatch shots can’t crit.

Another thing that is not at all obvious for a first timer

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Affi posted:

Also a false statement because there are skills. (And there might even be enemies who have that skill) (I don’t know!)

Well, yeah, once you get a sergeant support it becomes kinda obvious, but that's very much midgame.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Man, I'm playing through WotC with the DLC for the first time, and my god have I just had a rug pull the Archon alien leader, that gets a reaction after every loving move! Still, :xcom: and no-one died by some miracle.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I feel like XCOM2 does a pretty good job of showing what an underdog you are with all the talk of rickety old systems, the lack of uniforms, the scars on Bradford etc.

There's a few times when it escalates without warning, but honestly the codex is not the worst escalation the game will throw at you hello Sectopod. But that fits, you're trying to overthrow a world government powered by alien tech.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Rushing psionics could save them, as psykers don't need battle xp to level

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I really like the timers, as the overwatch crawl was incredibly boring and repetitive. I will admit I also like WotC's addition of variation to the timers.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Bifauxnen posted:

I do like that there are timers most of the time to keep you pressing forward, but it's also real nice to get a break once in a while. So personally I'm a fan of how they've balanced it that way...

except for that scenario already mentioned where you got timers + fixed evac zone/ forced retreat, those are the ABSOLUTE WORST

I literally just lost a Major Sniper by falling short 3 squares :/

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I'd like deadeye more if it did more damage. It's great in that 1 in 10 situation where you've got the spare accuracy and the extra damage will make a difference, but the ability of LH to do damage out of sequence is just so consistently useful.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Its fascinating watching someone lp this who's genuinely completely blind to XCOM. I think once you get the supplies to buy the plated armour, you'll feel a while lot better

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
The WotC ones are often an hour or longer though. I like the current episode length and frequency, so if you're happy let the lp take how long it takes I'd do that

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
2 psi, 2 heavy, one ranger one support. Sometimes swap out to two ranger one heavy if I'm feeling saucy

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Also it only counts for shooty kills, not axemurder kills

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Seriously? Wow, I should've picked that on way more people

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I love bladestorm, but implacable is also really handy for murdering people in awkward places and still being able to get into cover.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Plated armour plated armour plated armour

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
You'll see guys, you'll see.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Agreed. Plot

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

jng2058 posted:

So the thing about the Rocket Launcher that makes it nice is it's range. The thing can shoot nearly twice as far as a Grenade Launcher and two and half times as far as a thrown Grenade. True, as you noticed, you get no arc on the shot, but it does have 2 armor shred. They're respectable weapons. And they lead into the MUCH better Blaster Launcher down the line! To say nothing of Shredder weapons!

I remember the first time I tried out the top tier shred thing on a whim as it looked underwhelming from the description. I'd accidentally activated three pods, and it just decimated everything

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I had it on a spark with the bigger bangs skill. Destroyed a train.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I think the final mission could do them. It forces you to take take risks to murder the avatars promptly, and there's only so many frost grenades and mimic beacons you can take

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Omg fun and gun on a heavy is so good.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Pea posted:

If you have multiple psi warriors with dominate on the team, does the game let you dominate multiple enemies or can you only dominate 1 enemy per mission regardless of how many psi warriors are on the team?

One per psi dude :v:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
You really need to take George on the final mission. Really really really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Spoilers buddy!