Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Akratic Method posted:

Sectoids are weak to swords. I have no idea why, no other enemy in the game has anything like that.

I mean, they're running around in the buff! :v:

Really basic mechanics tip, but just in case: Keep in mind that you do not have to use both of a soldiers actions before moving to a different one. You can and absolutely should move your dudes to where you want them this turn, and then assess the situation before deciding to shoot/overwatch/etc.

Also, make sure you check out the engineering bay whenever you have a new item that you can build. Minor item spoiler: Flashbangs have a bunch of interactions that I'm not sure the game actually tells you about, they're extremely useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
If you click on the yellow '?'s on the ability tree, you'll get more info on the skill.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Reached about 11 minutes into 18.5, and all I can think of is that adage about plans and enemy contact.

E: ~18 minutes in, I would've kept one engineer on the AWC, and used the other to build the GTS. Brings them both down to 6 days, and then it's just another 5 to pop skullmining.

EE: Watching them fret over the codex is the most :kiddo: thing.
I really hope they make it to some of the later bullshit.

EEE: Very end of 18.5, let's just say that's a boooold choice.

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 19, 2019

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Bremen posted:

I think they're really going to regret not noticing haywire is on cooldown, though

Was thinking the same thing. It wouldn't be a huge deal, but combined with California being functionally useless for the rest of the turn, this might go bad.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Gonna throw my hat in for Suppression as well.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Note that Threat Assessment says "Give target Covering Fire Overwatch," as in the other ability choice making them shoot for enemy attacks and such. Still, I'd say Threat Assessment is the better pick.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
I mean, personally I'd just prefer "one mission an episode, regardless of length," but I like longer-form videos anyway, because I usually throw them on the second screen while I Warframe. I get why you'd keep them shorter though.

Definitely don't cut out the Geoscape IMO, watching you guys make... interesting choices :flashfact::flashfact: is half the fun.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Slight correction at the end of the video: You've been sleeping on at least one utility item.

Well done on figuring out the end of that mission!

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
God, the first sectopod or other enemy they face that can shrug off lots of damage is going to loving rinse them.

E: Oh poo poo, or the first Chryssalids :gonk:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

That Italian Guy posted:

Eh, Chrysalids in normal are not that scary in new XCOM, but yeah the "kill everything before they can shot at you" mentality is great up until you start running into Andromedrons or Archons + high HP Advent pods, not to mention the real bastards like Sectopods or Guardians.

They're not super-tough, but they can take a hit from most of the cast, and they're fast as gently caress (with no flashbangs to slow them down). They might just get swarmed under by the first pack they encounter.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

jng2058 posted:

Actually, that ADVENT Datapad is a relatively quick and easy way to score Intel, which you'll need for your next contact. After that Plated Armor is a decent next choice followed by Gauss Weaponry.

This gets my vote as well.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Dr Christmas posted:

During which time they'll wonder aloud why everyone was pushing them so hard to get smoke bombs.

More likely that they realize how good flashbangs are and think they're what we were referring to, imo.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

GeneX posted:

Hooray, big mama showed up!

Feel like they're gonna continue their streak of "freeze and kill the scary thing before it gets a move". They have two frost bombs and Pete's ice grapple.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Lprsti99 posted:

Feel like they're gonna continue their streak of "freeze and kill the scary thing before it gets a move". They have two frost bombs and Pete's ice grapple.

Called it.

E: That said, Funky's overwatch chain was hilarious.

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 4, 2019

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Loel posted:

Brave lil Gatekeeper, tried so hard

:cripes: Every single time they run across a new nasty, I think they're gonna finally get their comeuppance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Mordja posted:

I mean, it really is just the frost bomb.* I've only played base XCOM2, zero DLC and that thing really is just insane. Even the boltcaster's stun is just a percent chance, and even the snek-suit's Frostbite is single target, single use. I'm planning to replay the game with WOTC+DLC+a bunch of mods one of these days and I'm honestly arguing with myself whether to ignore it or not. Do the Chosen have any abilities that no-sell that thing?

*Not telling you two not to keep using it, you dudes do you, dudes.

Well, the Assassin avoids it by doing hit & run shenanigans, the Hunter by virtue of being 3 miles away :v: