Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well I just found this and watched the videos done so far, and :allears: :allears: :allears:

Will be wonderful to see you guys learn things as you go. Just you wait until you have some gear and leveled troopers so all the tactical options at your disposal start really opening up.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm pretty sure the game over was not because it's a tutorial mission, but because failing a guerrilla op makes you lose contact with the region it is in, and currently they only have their HQ region, so womp womp.

Triggering an overwatch ambush with a grenade is a good move btw, so kudos for learning!

EDIT: Oh yeah, opening a door happens with the left mouse button, but it can be a bit wonky sometimes so you might as well use the icon in the skillbar. However, if you are no longer in concealment then it doesn't matter since you can just move through it and the character will kick it open as they go.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 17, 2019

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

FoolyCharged posted:

On your spoiler:
Nah, losing a guerilla op just denies you the reward and leaves the dark event active. resistance ops and whatever the new terror missions are called are the ones that make you lose contact.

Aw poop, you are correct. My bad.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I voted for:

1) Supply drop, because you'll need those sooner than later,

2) Heat Signature, because the reward from that is pretty good; Resistance Contacts means it'll permanently increase the amount of regions you can have contacted by 1, giving you a bit of leeway before you need to build your first Comms facility, and

3) Contact with Mexico, because even if you won't do the Blacksite mission just yet (up to you), it's good to have the option open beforehand.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Bruceski posted:

Also New Mexico is home to Black Mesa, maybe we can go ask them for advice fighting aliens.

I'm sure there is a fully silent voice pack on the Steam Workshop.... just sayin'

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
"What's this icon? I think it's a supply cache!" Yes, surely a thing you are expressly supposed to NOT destroy would turn up in your list of available targets. :shepface:

If only you had clicked on it and discovered that it was in fact an explosive container that both the viper and the Advent commander were sitting next to.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah, one bit of jank about this game is that the animations often don't quite align with what is actually happening.

Another example from this mission is that the Advent officer wasn't actually trying to shoot Funky through the wall, but when he was peeking around his cover, because of how high cover and firing lines work.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
EDIT: Actually nevermind, I am bad at reading.

Vote's pretty much decided by now but I still also say Demon Wheel.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Not gonna lie, I've been expecting that "surprise civilian" moment. :allears:

Well played again, you guys are really getting the hang of it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The stuff soldiers say depends on the personality given them in customization. Emi has the "Twitchy" personality so she has those kinda nervous sounding lines.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

GeneX posted:

that was stupid, and no manner of "that's xcom!" cackling can compensate for that kind of actively bad game design

like, nice recovery, but there was exactly 0 indication that this could even occur, much less that it would

it's a dick move that as far as I can see exists for the sole purpose of screwing over new players once, getting them to restart the mission, and never running into the "trick" again

It is not bad game design, it's just kinda dickish game design. Depends on the player if they find it funny dickishness or if they throw a tantrum.

The baseline assumption in XCOM is that you will lose soldiers during the campaign, because sometimes poo poo just happens. The idea is to bounce back up from these setbacks, not to avoid them by having the game telegraph all its wily tricks to the player beforehand. Also, as Bremen explained, this whole thing happened in some real unfortunate circumstances.

Bifauxnen posted:

Also firsts like these are precious memories! Your first skulljack, the first time you run into any new enemy, the first time you attempt any unique mission... those times when you're fearfully dealing with the truly unexpected are some of the best moments.

I have over 700 hours in this game and I still remember my first Codex fight. It involved Mutons in addition to the codex and two faceless. It was not pretty.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

GeneX posted:

"kinda dickish" is bad game design in a game like this

No it is not.

EDIT: I mean obviously it isn't everyone's cup of tea. You don't have to try and validate your own preference by claiming the thing you don't like is objectively bad.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 16, 2019

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

GeneX posted:

but still my point is that casualties have been very limited and no one vital has died

Yeah, this. Sure, it's sad to lose Blast Hardcheese and Znorelag, but the cold hard fact is they were just a corporal and a squaddie.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Also, Deadeye having a "small" aim penalty (as per the description) is a bald-faced lie, because -25 is not god drat small.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I have to say, I have specifically not bought the Alien Hunters DLC because I didn't want to deal with the Ruler bullshit, but having now seen the bolt caster in action I'm getting mighty tempted.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

You da MVP!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Trasson posted:

I hope you two are happy. You made me buy and marathon Enemy Unknown over my spring break.

Vigilo Confido, friend

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Bifauxnen posted:

ooh yeah that would be great so everyone can read the bios for Ma and the peraMyst peeps :3:

Also, people with the expansion can use the Photobooth to make :krad: posters of the crew!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
You know, back when you were struggling with your first Codex and complaining how ridiculous they were, I was really hoping you'd just stick with the game until you saw that the ridiculous poo poo swings both ways.

And now you have. :allears:

Really though, while Rangers are crazy, it's really the frost bomb that's the truly overpowered thing here.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Just a little note about promotions: You can tell whether a soldier has earned a promotion in the current mission. In the lower left corner, in front of their name, they have the badge that shows their class and rank. There will be a + icon next to the badge if they have a promotion coming up. Ma got hers when she finished off that Viper.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Affi posted:

Did he just bring gas, flashbangs and a psionic (first level too) on Shens last gift? Nope my bad it's apparently easy!

Well to be fair, Stasis might actually not be totally useless in the last encounter. :v:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

anilEhilated posted:

Fairly sure he doesn't have that yet.

Yes he does. See 19:20 in the last episode when Dr. Funk finishes his first training.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 4, 2019

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I mean just imagine that boss battle if they still only had ballistic weaponry and no frost bomb...

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well yeah, that too

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Personally I'd love if there were more accented English voices. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me for a multinational group of people to just babble away at eachother in their respetive mother tongues. The concept of Lingua Franca exists for a reason.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Bremen posted:

Even though your soldier couldn't see them from the destination, the route he took to the destination went through tiles they could see.

Yeah, it was this. Vigilance only affects the enemies' sight radius for when you're stealthed, as far as I know.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
It's not even about a "lack of blood" really. More like a lack of sweat. I don't think anyone would seriously complain about you getting excellent and flawless mission results, if they were achieved in less monotonous ways.

And just to be clear, I am not blaming you guys for anything. It's just a shame that you happened to run afoul of the bad DLC and its weird-rear end implementation.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Oh good grief please build the goddamn bluescreen rounds already, I'm about to have a goddamn aneurysm :sterv:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I don't think there are any pirate voice packs in the Workshop, but if you just want Pete to sound like an utter bugfuck lunatic, I will personally vouch for the Borderlands Psycho voice pack. :v:

I've personally gone completely ham with voice packs, to the point where I have considerably more of them than there are vanilla voice options.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

turol posted:

camp near the skyranger and just level the whole city with heavy weapons.

SMDH if this wasn't just your general MO, tbh

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
FYI: Researching a Facility Lead doesn't reveal new facilities on the map, it unlocks an existing one so that you can assault it right away without having to make contact with the region first.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
gently caress, I thought I was poor, but apparently some people can't even afford to pay attention

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Regarding the music: I agree that the vanilla soundtrack in XCOM 2 is okay, but nothing special. A step down from the previous game, to be sure. Then they released the expansion War of the Chosen, which came with some new tunes that were even more forgettable (namely it replaced the squad select screen music, which was the highlight of the vanilla soundtrack).

BUT THEN.

Kinda out of the blue they released this DLC called Tactical Legacy Pack for WotC, which had a whole bunch of neat stuff, like a series of mini-campaigns. But the real star of that pack was yet another soundtrack, and by God is it a good loving soundtrack. Notably, it took some of the iconic tunes from the OG UFO and remade them in glorious fashion. And apart from that, the new original music in the pack is loving :krad: as well.

Sorry for going off on a bit of a tangent, but I just loving love that soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
FYI, the Stun Lancer on the roof winking out was due to the funky way the game's LoS works. Basically, while it was in cover, it was peeking out far enough that Ma could see it, but when she took a shot and destroyed its cover, it wasn't peeking out anymore and was thus obscured by the protruding half of the pillar Ma was standing behind.

Also yeah, this was a very well handled tough mission. Gatekeepers can be drat brutal.

Fun story: There's a mod called A Better Advent for this game. It tweaks the enemy AI and adds some new enemy variants. The pinnacle of those variants are Prime enemies, which get a reaction not when you act, but any time they take damage. And I once made the mistake of poisoning a Gatekeeper Prime. It did not end well. :shepface: