Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Are you playing the base game or WOTC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So heads up, I get not wanting to play with mods right away, but the Evac All one saves a lot of aggravation and repetitive clicking.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'd submitted Blast Hardcheese before realizing these guys are Brits and probably don't know MST3K. :shepface:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So one very core thing about XCOM 2 that I'm not 100% sure you guys have realized yet is that most of the levels are procedurally generated and the game will constantly throw random missions and events at you as well as story ones.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dr Christmas posted:

I cringed on seeing you immediately go for blast padding.

To be fair I feel that Shredder on heavy isn't quite as vital as it was in XCOM1, since there are so many other way to strip armor this time around. Not to say Padding's great though.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Affi posted:

There are not at all that many other ways. Its like shredder, explosives and ?

Shredder guns/cannons, acid 'nades, AP rounds...the fact that hacking and EMP weapons are effective against mechanical enemies doesn't hurt.

E: I guess some of those don't strip armor but bypass it, which also works

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I haven't played WOTC yet, I just rarely ran into circumstances where I didn't have enough ways to deal with armor/mechanical enemies. :shrug:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Blast, noooo!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'd say XCOM2 was probably designed with the assumption that people have played XCOM1, considering its more complicated classes and enemies. What this means is that while their tactical game is solid, Nat and Tea are prioritizing different items, skills and researches than most people who've played the prior game, for example their lack of healing and the fact that they haven't even started teching for armor and weapons that'll improve survivablity. It definitely makes things interesting to watch!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I think you're s a bit hung up over the idea that the game's full of "trap choices" since more things are viable than not. I also put off building the Guerilla centre in favour of the AWC and ran with four troops for longer than most.

By the way, if I recall correctly, special ammo works on pistols as well main weapons and yes, that includes Lightning Hands...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Commander Keene posted:

It helps that there's no death march counting down over their heads. I'm with Nat20 on this; I'd personally prefer the game without a hard turn limit on nearly every mission. I feel like giving exp bonuses or something for speed and efficiency would have been a better way to encourage players to keep moving.

Full disclosure, I immediately installed the mod that starts the countdown only when your squad is revealed. :v:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Affi posted:

They should be friendlier with the turns. Just having it be “when revealed the timer starts”

Like I said, I had no qualms in getting the mod that does this right off the bat. It also makes more sense to me that the aliens would only start purging their data or whatever after detecting an incursion.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dead Reckoning posted:

TBF, it is kind of weird that you start undetected after fast-roping into the area out of a VTOL assault ship with the XCOM logo on the side.

Little known fact: "XCOM" is also the name of a half-hour delivery pizza joint.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Couple misc things to remember:

You can always sell poo poo at the black market
That throwing axe is just collecting dust back at base

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Affi posted:

P sure you can't sell it.

Can someone tell me why they aren't using it? It is superior to a normal sword right?

Haha, the two things aren't related, I was just saying they should remember to equip the axe.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
They know that SPARKS exist, you don't have to spoiler that. Hope they get them tho. I've only actually played base-XCOM2 but I really need to play WOTC+DLC+modded to the gills one of these days. Check out this ridiculous jetpack mod!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

GeneX posted:

I meant more that the actual time spent out seems pretty arbitrary, and in a game where you're so pressed to get things done at the same time, 2 extra days out can probably make a big difference. Also that it makes the only strategy that's really viable killing or disabling everything in one turn, since getting hit at all is such a problem.

It's not arbitrary, it's based on the amount of damage the soldier took, though I never bothered to look up the actual calculation. And it's there to make sure people diversify their portfolios and recruit enough people for at least two squads.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
To answer your question, "when was the last time we used scanning protocol" the answer is never. :v:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Affi posted:

Its a good skill between fights.

Agreed, would have even helped them at times.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah Bladestorm was the skill that made me really fall in love with Rangers, turns 'em into a cuisinart.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

GeneX posted:

fair, fair

I think Nat's decisionmaking has been fine, even if after looking at the wiki I think he needs to rush plated armor ASAP

Needs more scientists on that note, and visit the goddamn Black Market! Flying places barely takes any time, only scanning stuff does.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

jng2058 posted:

Actually, that ADVENT Datapad is a relatively quick and easy way to score Intel, which you'll need for your next contact. After that Plated Armor is a decent next choice followed by Gauss Weaponry.

Yeah, this one.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

NGDBSS posted:

The ability to put Julian in a Spark is amazing and I will not hear you say otherwise. :colbert:
As I recall, the whole process has kind of driven him mad...der.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Vahlen did nothing wrong.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I <3 Face/off. Pistol Sharpshooter is my favourite Sharpshooter just for how stylin' it is.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean, it really is just the frost bomb.* I've only played base XCOM2, zero DLC and that thing really is just insane. Even the boltcaster's stun is just a percent chance, and even the snek-suit's Frostbite is single target, single use. I'm planning to replay the game with WOTC+DLC+a bunch of mods one of these days and I'm honestly arguing with myself whether to ignore it or not. Do the Chosen have any abilities that no-sell that thing?

*Not telling you two not to keep using it, you dudes do you, dudes.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Why no Spark option? :argh:

If you're training a rookie, make it a robot!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Suggestion: give Ma's gun a deeper clip so that she can shoot aliens more betterer with killzone and serial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, I definitely hut the avatar when I was still mostly magnetic weapons...