Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
In my opinion this last video was the most interesting to watch from this LP yet.

- You played relatively quickly, without too much analysis of what is the perfect move. In some past videos, it seemed as if you were almost scared to act. :confused:
- There was plot progress. Despite panicking for a few turns at first, you stopped running and got your nerve back. It was especially interesting to see how you both reacted differently.
- Soldiers died, that's unfortunate but like others said, the developers expect this to happen. Besides, that just means we get to see other submitted characters in action.

Personally, I'm following the LP to see how you handle the curveballs the game throws at you and not to watch perfectly executed missions.

Natural 20 posted:

As far as I've been told by friends etc. when we chose to get the Psy upgrade technology over enhanced weapons or armour we screwed ourselves over in a way similar to our failure to get the tactics school early. Unlike the latter, where we did conceptually know that squad size would be good, here we have no avenue to understand the importance of certain technologies weighed against each other. So we're just randomly firing stuff off and hoping to get a good return.
Don't worry about this. Please keep randomly firing off things. It provides a far more interesting experience than doing things in the correct:airquote: order.
There will always be someone saying you're playing it wrong. Just go with what feels right to you. It's the best way to keep the LP uniquely yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
I'm unsure if talking about enemies the LP'ers haven't encountered yet is considered mechanics discussion. But in case they are, some posters might want to edit their posts.

Natural 20 posted:

As we’re going in blind, part of the fun will be our reaction to the story and how it pans out. As such I’d appreciate if story and mechanic discussion related to areas we have not reached yet be covered under spoiler tags. Like this!...

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Notice one your submitted characters appear in the pool of recruits, eagerly await their first outing for weeks.
The big moment arrives, throw a grenade, earn a promotion, get killed the next turn. :xcom:

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Speaking of Intel, was anyone else surprised that Nat & Tea didn't attempt hacking the 2 lampposts? <= Spoilered because I can't remember if they have already done this in the past.
Especially because they spent a few turns trying to set up the perfect shot on that 2 vipers, 1 codex group and there was no timer anyway.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005

Fish Noise posted:

hahaha right after I said you probably won't get hoisted by grenades :allears:
That Advent Elite Officer really was the mvp for the aliens. Wounding 3 XCOM soldiers before dying is pretty much a win for them at this point. Too bad you can't make a memorial poster for enemies. It probably won't matter though, since I doubt the lp'ers will get another mission within 4 to 8 days.

Perhaps I'm being overly pessimistic, but I think that the game won't be able to seriously threaten the LP'ers chances of winning. They read spoilers about the rulers and overall, their playstyle is too conservative and deliberate to get surprised by new enemies or accidentally triggering a second pod. Nat has his preferred tactics figured out and Tea is there to reign him in when he's considering anything slightly risky.
Nat, please stop listening to Yorkshire Tea. He's keeping too many people safe with his advice. :colbert:

Also: Yay! George Clinton made the team and lived through his first mission. :toot:

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
It's true, Nat and Tea are doing great. Personally, I'd love to see them take on a mission without the unique weapons and armor from the Alien Rulers DLC. (Frost Bombs, Bolt Caster, Shadowkeeper, Hunter's Axe and the skins of the dead rulers)

They have the skills, enough items and high level soldiers to make it work, so I believe it would be a welcome change of pace from the usual routine.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005

GeneX posted:

You should dump the dlc weapons too if you've decided to indulge thread urges

it's gonna change absolutely nothing beyond taking longer turns, people getting injured a bit more, and playing the injury loss lottery there
Don't forget about dumping the ruler armors. :v: If you don't want the risk, you don't get the toys either. :colbert:

Really though, why are you so pessimistic about the whole concept of vanilla XCOM2?

- Nat & Tea have already proven they can handle tough enemies and even entire pods without the frost bomb.
- The LP'ers being a duo, they don't often fall victim to committing to a crazy idea that gets people killed simply because the other can usually point out the flaws in the plan that the one who proposed it is blind to.
- With squads of six and the non-dlc armors available, they potentially have access to what, 12 item/grenade slots per mission?
- There are also plenty of toys besides the basic grenade to help them.
- As for injuries, when have those been a problem lately? Even gravely wounded soldiers only spend like 6-7 days in the med bay. So they are usually back in shape for the next mission. At worst, Nat & Tea have to play a mission without a specific class.
- Finally, I don't think turns will take longer because their playstyle is already slow and methodical.

They will be fine, I'm sure of it.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
After that 3 turn ambush setup, I had a good laugh when the evac zone popped up. :v: It was as if the game was telling them to stop faffing about and get on with it. :bahgawd:
Moments like that really offset stylish actions in my opinion.
Another example: Taking nearly 3 minutes to decide to dominate a shieldbearer. At some point, discussing tactics stops adding anything interesting to the LP.

Question for the thread: Who was the Aliens' MVP?

For me it was the heavy MEC dodging 4 overwatches to wound 3 soldiers. Even though his actions are insignificant in the long run, it was rather stylish.
Although the stun lancer that took out Dash and caused Nat to panic was a close second though.

When NatTea lined up the whole squad together by the low wall, I saw the writing on the wall. They really delivered this episode. Advent that is, not NatTea

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
To be fair to the new guys, taking a 63% axe throw and a 55% shot and expecting to hit the enemy is quite optimistic in XCOM. Perhaps feeding the newbies archon kills is aiming a bit high?

Ironic that they shredded the other way onto the roof with the last pod. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Still, looking forward to seeing how the rest of the mission turns out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
If you have multiple psi warriors with dominate on the team, does the game let you dominate multiple enemies or can you only dominate 1 enemy per mission regardless of how many psi warriors are on the team?