Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Knitting Beetles posted:

My wife made me watch it, at the beginning I thought "I bet they won't even show what the thing is" and guess what.

Yeah this bugged me. If you're going to have a gimmick, explain why it exists, even if it's just "alien beings who never developed sight get possessed by satan."

We're going to have more of these, and they're going to get sillier.

A school teacher and her pupils hole up in terror as a creeping black ooze will flow in and swallow you if you don't spin around three times while patting your head every ten seconds

Alien forces invade the U.S., but are repulsed by sex. Jada Smith stars as a man who must fly into the swarm of alien spaceships and defeat them all while non-stop getting his dick sucked.

in the 1700s, a tribe of religious outcasts must constantly coat themselves in chocolate macadamia nut cheesecake to stave off a group of teleporting vegan werewolves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Drunk Nerds posted:

Alien forces invade the U.S., but are repulsed by sex. Jada Smith stars as a man who must fly into the swarm of alien spaceships and defeat them all while non-stop getting his dick sucked.

That’s just crank with aliens

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

It was a bad movie but Pooka on Hulu is good

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Carmant posted:

It was a bad movie but Pooka on Hulu is good

I find this assessment accurate

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Steve-O lived a life of being tortured by his demons but maybe it was actually a bird box ARG that nobody got

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Steve-O lived a life of being tortured by his demons but maybe it was actually a bird box ARG that nobody got

What a way to find out Steve-O died. 2019 is starting off rough

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

someone spoil the ending for me please, I will never watch this as I hate any and all kinds of horror or thriller movies

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Netflix: We have such sights to show you

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Son of Rodney posted:

someone spoil the ending for me please, I will never watch this as I hate any and all kinds of horror or thriller movies

They make their way down the river, blindfolded, to a school for the blind where, for a reason I either missed or wasn't explained, the mysterious evil can't reach them.

Can anyone recommend a horror mystery on Netflix or Amazon? It doesn't have to be good, just watchable. For reference: Resolution was extremely my jam.

I just watched the Autopsy of Jane Doe. Solid C... a passable paranormal mystery: A body is autopsied and they find weirder and weirder poo poo. A bit too much body horror for my taste, but I can't fault a film with "autopsy" in the title for being too body horror. After the movie was done, reviewing it, literally nothing made sense. But it was a passable enough watch.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 3, 2019

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

^^^^^^^^^
Thanks tho!

nvm I read a summary and lmao that's just stupid

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Nerses IV posted:

What a way to find out Steve-O died. 2019 is starting off rough

He is 10 years sober and just ran a marathon.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Fried Watermelon posted:

They should have made the movie audio only and then it would win some innovation awards

Just have the award show being staffed by Netflix employees like they do their comedy specials

i love radioplays

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
ya'll should watch Damnation instead it was pretty dope and obvious why the cowards canceled it after season 1

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

That’s just crank with aliens

Crank in space would unironically own

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Moridin920 posted:

ya'll should watch Damnation instead it was pretty dope and obvious why the cowards canceled it after season 1

Actually watch Godless. Damnation was a USA show that Netflix broadcast outside the States. I think they also helped pay for it tho tbf.

I didn't watch it but it looked a little jank. Is it actually good? I like USA channel fare often enough but it's usually just okay.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

esperterra posted:

Actually watch Godless. Damnation was a USA show that Netflix broadcast outside the States. I think they also helped pay for it tho tbf.

I didn't watch it but it looked a little jank. Is it actually good? I like USA channel fare often enough but it's usually just okay.

I'll check out Godless.

I didn't get much of a jank vibe from Damnation. What I really like about it is that it is class war as gently caress.

quote:

The Farmers' Holiday Association campaign for a farm strike in the early 1930s is the actual historical event on which the story is based; the Iowa locale in the series is essentially based on Plymouth County, Iowa during this time, the strike and related events in the county seat of Le Mars, Iowa and rural areas of the county specifically beginning in early May 1932. This was also the period when the penny auction became a common farmer tactic.

quote:

Seth decides to send a message to the town and Creeley, and specifically the town's local banker, Calvin Rumple, when he crucifies Sam Riley's body across the front of the Savings and Trust building in town, with the sign "Which side are you on?" hung around his neck.

:black101:

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 3, 2019

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Crank in space would unironically own

drat it really would, time to start writing a screenplay.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Let me watch that real quick.

With my blindfold on.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Leon Einstein posted:

He is 10 years sober and just ran a marathon.

Steve-O is dead and has been replaced with a set of woke veneers

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Were sandra bullock and michael jackson ever seen together? Its becoming uncanny.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Hand of God was a really good streaming original show that apparently no one besides me ever watched. It stars Ron Perlman as a schizo vigilante born again Christian idk what more you want

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tolkien minority posted:

Hand of God was a really good streaming original show that apparently no one besides me ever watched. It stars Ron Perlman as a schizo vigilante born again Christian idk what more you want

so it's a steven seagal biography?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

So this these creatures are entirely incapable of physically doing anything, but if you see them you immediately kill yourself for reasons. Except some people who can see them but don't kill themselves for reasons. This only works on humans for reasons. And the heroine rocks up to a school for the blind and everything is cool and chill and you never actually get an explanation or see the creatures or even a real ending.

This movie sounds really intense, but like it has absolutely 0 payoff.

Like enemy.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Thanks for the rec* OP I'll check it out.

*recommendation

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Drunk Nerds posted:

Yeah this bugged me. If you're going to have a gimmick, explain why it exists, even if it's just "alien beings who never developed sight get possessed by satan."

We're going to have more of these, and they're going to get sillier.

A school teacher and her pupils hole up in terror as a creeping black ooze will flow in and swallow you if you don't spin around three times while patting your head every ten seconds

in the 1700s, a tribe of religious outcasts must constantly coat themselves in chocolate macadamia nut cheesecake to stave off a group of teleporting vegan werewolves.

All of these are great ideas for movies tho :confused:

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I thought The Ritual was pretty decent as far as Netflix Originals go

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I think Sandra Bullock was a crazy from the beginning, and had seen the monsters, but like the other crazies she didn't GAF. this would explain her crazy parenting style. "Ok girl and boy, in a minute I'm going to kill one of you because I need a river guide. So gimme a minute to decide which."

No sane person does that.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Lol does she really do that? I watched just past the point where society collapses. I love movies that show poo poo meeting fan.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

ilmucche posted:

This movie sounds really intense, but like it has absolutely 0 payoff.

Like enemy.

Are you talking about the Jake Gyllenhaal movie? That was a really good one.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

a bone to pick posted:

Are you talking about the Jake Gyllenhaal movie? That was a really good one.

It was good and intense, but I feel the ending needed a bit more. Was hoping the guy would get a call from someone who said he liked just like him, starting like a new cycle before he saw the spider. Looked it up after and apparently the book does something like that.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

GORDON posted:

I think Sandra Bullock was a crazy from the beginning, and had seen the monsters, but like the other crazies she didn't GAF. this would explain her crazy parenting style. "Ok girl and boy, in a minute I'm going to kill one of you because I need a river guide. So gimme a minute to decide which."

No sane person does that.

That would have been a good twist, but they established early on that, cracked or not, seeing the thing makes you wear effed up contact lenses.

Just watched it on OP's recommendation 6/10. Maybe it's because I just had a kid but the potential trauma to children had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. It was smart of them to put in two kids cause I knew that at least one would make it but was iffy on both.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought this movie would be about boxing with birds. BOY DID I HAVE EGG ON MY FACE

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Does it ever explain the significance of her paintings

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Hometown Slime Queen posted:

the ritual was cool

bird box sucked. i thought they were going to have to pull out their own eyes or blind themselves some way to enter the "sanctuary" and was prepping for a very metal ending but alas

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I never understood why some people didn't kill themselves when infected but some did

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Hometown Slime Queen posted:

What I liked about the ritual is the interesting character backstory. Most horror has such cookie-cutter characters that don't draw me in. I used to love Stephen King for this, was it needful things that opens with the sheriff driving at 55 because if he goes over 60 the police car starts acting up? That painted such a picture in one sentence. Now King's books are just "here's this kid," or "here's this character from one of my other books so I don't have to think something up." Doctor Sleep is okay, I like how King's exploring his own fears(right now it's death from old age), but the female character is just "she got raped a bunch by her dad and then killed her dad." That doesn't tell me anything. How does she cope? Where does she go in her mind? What oddly specific childhood niceties did this preclude?

Anyway, thanks for listening. I'll take a baked potato and medium Frosty.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

vyst posted:

I never understood why some people didn't kill themselves when infected but some did

It was one of those movies where the writer comes up with a cool rule, but utterly sucks at understanding rule structure. I call those "Quidditch" movies.

Like Last Chance just said: Blind yourself. Problem solved in two minutes.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Monster Real Hahahaha Like Close Your Eyes Haha

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
more like Bored Box. movie had potential but i lost interest halfway through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc