Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Drunk Nerds posted:

Best part was, I didn't know it was in the same universe until the tape. Freaking made my day.

I'll try Broadchurch and see if I can find Savageland, thanks!

I'll recommend any watchable horror mysteries here, will go over my recentlyt watched (although I watch 2-3 movies a day because the pacing keeps me going right at work, so it'll take a while.) Please let me know if you find any horror mysteries too.

Oh, Congratulations! Is like Jean-Luc Goddard made a paranormal mystery. Decent, once I figured out it wasn't taking itself seriously. I don't remember where I saw it, but I assume Amazon Prime because they have absolutely no quality control and this movie was weird.

PS, anyone reading Stephen King's Doctor Sleep, just skip to page 170. You get the whole thing and miss out on nothing, except some cool backstory about the kid from The Shining's messed up life

Broadchurch is not even remotely horror not sure why the guy recommended it, it’s just an aggressively depressing British detective drama. The first season is great, the second Is alright, and the third is one of the worst seasons of television I’ve ever seen and descends into unintentional self parody.

The first season of Fortitude is pretty good horror mystery TV on prime, it goes downhill on two also.

I think Final Prayer is on streaming still that’s a really good one if you’re okay with found footage

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

This was ok. I like lovecraftian horror and there is definitely not enough of that around nowadays. The good parts

- no bullshit attitude. Bullock justs gets this movie done and doesn't get on your nerves. gives zero fucks.

- no dumb child drama, everything that happens with the children actually makes sense.

- The premise is consistent. It's an Eldritch horror, you look at it and it shows you something and you go mad. There is no escaping or weasling out of it with cameras or whatever. No technobabble cure, no monster weakspot, nothing is conquered by love

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

- The premise is consistent. It's an Eldritch horror, you look at it and it shows you something and you go mad. There is no escaping or weasling out of it with cameras or whatever. No technobabble cure, no monster weakspot, nothing is conquered by love

Unless you're some kind of undefined "crazy" in which you become eeeeeeeeeeeeevil and try to force other people to look at them for some reason. And then at some point the monsters learn how to talk and try and convince you to take your blindfold off for some reason.

Its a loving hack script written by an idiot, for idiots, who was inspired after watching M. Night's masterpiece The Happening.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Tolkien minority posted:

The ritual was actually pretty good and it makes me wonder why that didn’t get the push that bird box did

I really liked The Ritual. It has some extremely clever cinematography and interesting design, like when the main character is sleepwalking through the dream of the liquor store, and you can't really tell if this is happening or a dream, then the creature smashes through the shelves and chases him. It's not an amazing movie, but it definitely deserves more time in the spotlight than it got.

Hell, its one of the few horror movies I've seen where I actually think about it afterwards.

Fashionable Jorts fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 7, 2019

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Unless you're some kind of undefined "crazy" in which you become eeeeeeeeeeeeevil and try to force other people to look at them for some reason. And then at some point the monsters learn how to talk and try and convince you to take your blindfold off for some reason.

the first part is perfectly in keeping with eldritch horror. the easiest way to survive is to give in and ally yourself with the evil powers, so that's what people with weak moral fiber or whatever do. in more elaborate versions they start trying to make everyone else join them because it's the only way to "save" them.

the second is pretty dumb tho

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Its a loving hack script written by an idiot, for idiots, who was inspired after watching M. Night's masterpiece The Happening.

Yeah, the cthulhu worshipping mad cults are kind off a staple of Lovecraft.

Whatever the creatures are showing people, these guy are not fazed or traumatized by it. Some people just don't feel guilt, remorse or empathy. Like, when most people see child abuse they recoil in horror, but a small number of people get a boner.

Or, if you want to interpret the event as some kind of old testament judgment day, then the righteous people are overcome with remorse and guilt when being shown the sins of humanity but the evil people don't give a gently caress and don't feel anything, so god/the angles use them as an instrument to dispense judgment.

Also, whispers are there from the very beginning but the creatures never come close enough and nobody hangs around them long enough to hear distinct voices(until the ending)

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

- no bullshit attitude. Bullock justs gets this movie done and doesn't get on your nerves. gives zero fucks.

- no dumb child drama, everything that happens with the children actually makes sense.

It was pretty refreshing tbh. "Shut the gently caress up, do what I say or YOU WILL DIE"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

except two grown adults never name them and call them "boy" and "girl" --something that literally no one, let alone two people would ever do

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Last Chance posted:

except two grown adults never name them and call them "boy" and "girl" --something that literally no one, let alone two people would ever do

I assumed it was a way to not get too attached if the children died vOv. Like she only names them when they're "safe" in the jungle bird house

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Yeah like the black guy seemed pretty normal so why he let her do that I dunno. She must have been a massive bitch though.

Edit: I mean she was a massive bitch. That much is clear.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
After struggling for a year to conceive the pregnancy test finally comes back positive.

The fateful day arrives and you go into labor.

A small baby appears out of your vagina and resolutely announces, “I recommend that you watch Bird Box”

You die.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

unpacked robinhood posted:

I assumed it was a way to not get too attached if the children died vOv. Like she only names them when they're "safe" in the jungle bird house
yes i understand the hamfisted reasons

sounds suspiciously like "dumb child drama" to me

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Last Chance posted:

yes i understand the hamfisted reasons

sounds suspiciously like "dumb child drama" to me

The reason kinda falls apart though when there is another seemingly normal person who is helping to raise the kids.

Like if it was just her sure maybe I get it but another person? Na no way.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Dude should've stolen away the two kids in the night the moment they were born so they don't have to grow up around an abusive mother.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I have the attention span of a stupid child, but wasn't the "monsters talking" just one of the evil guys speaking from the river shore? I'm no brain genius or anything, but doesn't sound carry quite well over some waters for science reasons? Again, I'm very simple, but, after the "whispers," didn't Ms. Bullock immediately get jumped by the evil guy as she strayed too close to shore? I'm just an idiot, but the whole sequence reminded me of that "mystery music" that was haunting rich people in New Jersey(?) for like six months until one brave man finally tracked down the dastardly perpetrators bumping loud-rear end bass in a skate park who promptly fled his holy retribution, much as our dear friend, Sandra, conquered the evil man via slap-fighting and paddling away.

I pray this finds you well, Fashionable Jorts.

Sincerely,

A moron

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Last Chance posted:

IRC there was a practice in many pre-industrial societies to only name children after months or even years because child mortality in the first few months was just so insanely high. the babies got some generic placeholder name till the parents were sure it would make it.

unpacked robinhood posted:

It was pretty refreshing tbh. "Shut the gently caress up, do what I say or YOU WILL DIE"

Yeah that was kinda cool. She also tells them that she packed their teddy bears and there is nothing in the house they need to go back for cause it's a common trope and source of drama in movies that the child forgets their toy or whatever and they have to go back for it. Also "if you cry, YOU WILL DIE"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

IRC there was a practice in many pre-industrial societies to only name children after months or even years because child mortality in the first few months was just so insanely high. the babies got some generic placeholder name till the parents were sure it would make it.

interesting, but ultimately unrelated history lesson!

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Last Chance posted:

interesting, but ultimately unrelated history lesson!

tiny robot crawls under outhouse partition and recommends you watch Bird Box. "Golem!" you shout and all the jews in your province get pogromed

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
this is the future you want

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Nut to Butt posted:

I have the attention span of a stupid child, but wasn't the "monsters talking" just one of the evil guys speaking from the river shore? I'm no brain genius or anything, but doesn't sound carry quite well over some waters for science reasons? Again, I'm very simple, but, after the "whispers," didn't Ms. Bullock immediately get jumped by the evil guy as she strayed too close to shore? I'm just an idiot, but the whole sequence reminded me of that "mystery music" that was haunting rich people in New Jersey(?) for like six months until one brave man finally tracked down the dastardly perpetrators bumping loud-rear end bass in a skate park who promptly fled his holy retribution, much as our dear friend, Sandra, conquered the evil man via slap-fighting and paddling away.

I pray this finds you well, Fashionable Jorts.

Sincerely,

A moron

Near the end in the forest, the spoopy monster whispered to the kids and tried to convince them to take their blindfolds off. No evil guys telling them to do it, somehow the monster learned language, how to imitate voices, and tried very convincingly to get the kids to do what it wants. Because the hack writer is like "oh poo poo I made the monsters way too easy to defeat, lets add this random plot contrivance in".

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Bird Box is A Quiet Place for dumb people, and A Quiet Place wasn't exactly a cerebral movie.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Bird Box is A Quiet Place for dumb people.

so what you're saying is that it will be far more popular than a quiet place and make far more money??

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
youtube only wants me to watch videos about how many coins mario can avoid

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

how many coins can mario avoid?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If random goons abhor it for flimsy reasons you can bet it's probably good. This isn't limited to movies.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
All of them. The lazy gently caress.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Near the end in the forest, the spoopy monster whispered to the kids and tried to convince them to take their blindfolds off. No evil guys telling them to do it, somehow the monster learned language, how to imitate voices, and tried very convincingly to get the kids to do what it wants. Because the hack writer is like "oh poo poo I made the monsters way too easy to defeat, lets add this random plot contrivance in".

Thank you, and fair enough. I think I was pretty hosed up by that point and, even then, found the ending unsatisfying and abrupt.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
i feel like im never going to find out how many coins can mario avoid

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

a bone to pick posted:

If random goons abhor it for flimsy reasons you can bet it's probably good. This isn't limited to movies.

Unintentional humble-brag

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I half expected the kids to kinda adapt because they were born after the ghost invasion but that wouldn't make for a very interesting plot except maybe when they learn to drive to move adults around.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I hate how it has stereotypical movie kid behavior. The kids are all quiet and don't really behave like kids at all, like they're puppets but with a really rudimentary AI built in that can only say phrases like "I'm scared" or "I'm cold" because they couldn't convey their feelings in some more convincing way. The way they stare entranced at the adults is stupid, I've never seen a real kid do that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

I hate how it has stereotypical movie kid behavior. The kids are all quiet and don't really behave like kids at all, like they're puppets but with a really rudimentary AI built in that can only say phrases like "I'm scared" or "I'm cold" because they couldn't convey their feelings in some more convincing way. The way they stare entranced at the adults is stupid, I've never seen a real kid do that.

Ok my friend have you seen a kid born into a world where Sandra is a raging bitch? I think not.

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010

Nut to Butt posted:

Thank you, and fair enough. I think I was pretty hosed up by that point and, even then, found the ending unsatisfying and abrupt.

You say abrupt like you didn't want the loving movie to end.

I liked that the ending felt like it was taken from a Call of Chuthulu game where the DM was getting annoyed at their players and just killed them all off

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm watching bird box right now and it's good so far.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

a bone to pick posted:

I'm watching bird box right now and it's good so far.

no a bone to pick, don't crack, don't let big netflix manipulate you

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
find it highly suspicious we have two active threads about this and by suspicious i mean that this was a highly successful marketing push in the demographic of dead internet forums because somethingawful.com just cannot shut the gently caress up about bird box

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
if your gonna watch it at least live post it with amusing observations so i need not bother while being otherwise entertained

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I think if u don't like this movie it's probably because ur racist and don't like interracial couples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it's just fun to say bird box

bird box bird box