Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

a bone to pick posted:

I think if u don't like this movie it's probably because ur racist and don't like interracial couples.

Are you talking about Dr Henry Wu from Jurassic Park and his husband?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I want to watch it now that I know it has lovely child actors

The Conjuring was loving hilarious because one of the traits of the ghost was that it smells bad, so every time there's spookiness the child actors' faces scrunch up like they just caught a whiff of satan's unwiped rear end in a top hat

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Don't birds actually have cloacae? I should be called Bird Cloaca.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SleepySonata posted:

You say abrupt like you didn't want the loving movie to end.

I liked that the ending felt like it was taken from a Call of Chuthulu game where the DM was getting annoyed at their players and just killed them all off

BD WONG WAS WRONGED

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
bird box

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

baaahbaaahdooooooooooooook

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It was ok, it just got dumb at the end. It's not a terrible movie and it's not amazing. The fact that people have made this film a talking point is representative of how devoid culture is today.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

a bone to pick posted:

It was ok, it just got dumb at the end. It's not a terrible movie and it's not amazing. The fact that people have made this film a talking point is representative of how devoid culture is today.

welcome to the desert of the real :twisted:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nut to Butt posted:

welcome to the desert of the real :twisted:

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Just saw a weird one called Witch Hunt on Amazon. I recommend it, it skirts between disastrous and really intriguing. Five women get together to play a mafia-like game that turns real and they have a supernatural whodunit on their hands . The actresses are pretty good at delivering, too.

Haven't seen the ending yet, but if you like punchy, rules-based horror that doesn't take itself too seriously and has a good mystery, watch it on Amazon Prime

Edit: Ending doesn't drop the ball too hard. Yeah this is a decent B-list that I bet most of you will not like, but really hits the things I like in a horror mystery: Good delivery, rules, payoff

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 9, 2019

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I feel like I have to make a stand against Netflix’s ungodly marketing push for this stupid horror movie by not watching it, but it’s not like I don’t already pay for this stupid loving service and haven’t already seen all the good movies on it

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

1redflag posted:

I feel like I have to make a stand against Netflix’s ungodly marketing push for this stupid horror movie by not watching it, but it’s not like I don’t already pay for this stupid loving service and haven’t already seen all the good movies on it

That's what I love best about Amazon... they just let whoever makes a slick enough looking film in. You get some really cerebral and cool stuff and a lot of garbage, often in the same film. The film I'm watching now is B4 where people get caught in a parking garage with exits that lead to the past and future and it's horror. Whoever uploaded it changed the title from X-Ray because when I hover my mouse over the movie to look at trivia and stuff, it's all titled X-Ray.

Speaking of trivia, the trivia and descriptions to all these films are clearly written by amateurs. My favorite was some horrible film about characters caught in a lighthouse. One of the trivia bits was "the lighthouse rooms were actually created on a soundstage."

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i finally watched it tonight because of this thread. it was fine. i had fun.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I like how they're like 'gently caress we don't know how this mad poo poo works' so one person is like 'Imma be the lab rat and see if it works thru a screen!' and it's clear they're not all sure if it's a good idea so naturally they just leave him alone in a room. By himself. Bound to a chair. No way to look away. Like, someone could've been behind the monitor and just flip that sucker over or unplug it lol.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bobcats posted:

Holy poo poo there has never been a more coordinated and pervasive ad campaign to recommend a movie you’ve already seen because there isn’t anything else on Netflix.

instead of watching this movie i have started rewatching person of interest because drat that show is great

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

CassandraZara posted:

Are you talking about Dr Henry Wu from Jurassic Park and his husband?

Malkovich's character mentioned Wu wanting to build a glass section of his house and Malko hated him for it. I want to believe that Malko hated him purely because Wu was gay and that to get back at him, Wu was building a glass-walled bedroom directly opposite Malkovich's so they could do gay poo poo 24/7 in full view.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Drunk Nerds posted:

Whoever uploaded it changed the title from X-Ray because when I hover my mouse over the movie to look at trivia and stuff, it's all titled X-Ray.

Lol you cutie

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Kazak posted:

Lol you cutie

X-Ray's actually the name of the overlay that has the cast and trivia, isn't it

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Drunk Nerds posted:

Cute as a button

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Idgi

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

adorable

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Drunk Nerds posted:

It sure is

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
The Chinese Fenghuang has a sideways box

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I watched "Before I Fall."
If you've ever said, "Groundhog day was cool, but I wish I could have angrily screamed at the main character for never doing anything that made any sense for the entire film," this is for you

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Uh, The Happening is possibly the finest unintentional comedy ever made. From start to finish it's funny as gently caress, the very start has bodies falling from scaffolding comically and just continues to miss the serious mark from that point on; case in point the guy in the lion/tiger cage just standing there getting his arms pulled off. Dude who lays down in front of the lawnmower all nonchalant... Bird Box isn't amusing so if anything it's a 2nd rate The Happening and that's a truly loving awful thing.

The whole movie was based on an Ultimate Warrior promo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryh1yHWWeqI

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Malkovich's character mentioned Wu wanting to build a glass section of his house and Malko hated him for it. I want to believe that Malko hated him purely because Wu was gay and that to get back at him, Wu was building a glass-walled bedroom directly opposite Malkovich's so they could do gay poo poo 24/7 in full view.

This makes perfect sense, thanks.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Uh, The Happening is possibly the finest unintentional comedy ever made. From start to finish it's funny as gently caress, the very start has bodies falling from scaffolding comically and just continues to miss the serious mark from that point on

Well dude if they hit him the movie would be over. Think, McFly

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Drunk Nerds posted:

Just saw a weird one called Witch Hunt on Amazon. I recommend it, it skirts between disastrous and really intriguing. Five women get together to play a mafia-like game that turns real and they have a supernatural whodunit on their hands . The actresses are pretty good at delivering, too.

Haven't seen the ending yet, but if you like punchy, rules-based horror that doesn't take itself too seriously and has a good mystery, watch it on Amazon Prime

Edit: Ending doesn't drop the ball too hard. Yeah this is a decent B-list that I bet most of you will not like, but really hits the things I like in a horror mystery: Good delivery, rules, payoff

Okay I rewatched this with my wife. Witch Hunt, on Amazon Prime Video, has no right to be as good as it is. In the beginning the acting is stilted, there's an overarching plot that LITERALLY has no point in the movie, but it tightens up with a game where the rules are simple and clearly were written by someone who undrestands games. By the end, the actresses are dropping one-liners like they've been working together forever. It's a great movie, and you should watch it. Comedy horror at it's finest. CAVEAT: Skip any scene that's not the five women in the house... I don't know why they stuck in the writers doing poo poo, it is horrible and distracting, and having watched the film again where we skipped every scene that isn't the five women in the house, I can definitely say that the writers plot has NO point in being in the movie. I don't know whether it's there for padding or what, but it dilutes one of the best D-budget horror-comedy films I've ever scene.

Watch Witch Hunt, on Amazon Prime, skipping over the writing scenes (any scene that's not in the weird clock-house with the five women). It's bizarrely good for a movie that clearly had a budget of like $5k

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 10, 2019

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

The whole movie was based on an Ultimate Warrior promo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryh1yHWWeqI

Oh poo poo.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Sandra Bullock did not age well. Her nose is now making her look more like Michael Jackson.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Piggy Smalls posted:

Sandra Bullock did not age well. Her nose is now making her look more like Michael Jackson.

That’s not at all what I was thinking. I definitely would.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
apparently the people at the end were supposed to have gouged their eyes out rather than just be a random school out in the middle of nowhere which would have been a lot better

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
you know this key plot point we've been building up to, as our boat heads toward the rapids, one of the kids is gonna have to look and be killed, otherwise we won't make it? hmm should it be you, or you... ooohhhh i have an idea, how about right at the last second we decide that nobody has to look after all! then we'll just tumble through the rapids and miraculously be just fine, carrying our box of birds which is also somehow fine!! aren't i just the greatest loving scriptwriter EVER

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

DELETE CASCADE posted:

you know this key plot point we've been building up to, as our boat heads toward the rapids, one of the kids is gonna have to look and be killed, otherwise we won't make it? hmm should it be you, or you... ooohhhh i have an idea, how about right at the last second we decide that nobody has to look after all! then we'll just tumble through the rapids and miraculously be just fine, carrying our box of birds which is also somehow fine!! aren't i just the greatest loving scriptwriter EVER

Gotta crack some eggs if you want to make an omelette

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Just watched Annihilation again and it was rad as gently caress

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I thought this movie was gonna be comically bad but it was ok for a weeknight w some chicken wings

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

shovelbum posted:

I thought this movie was gonna be comically bad but it was ok for a weeknight w some chicken wings

Yeah its more boring/frustrating bad, rather than fun bad.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Movie was fine but we live in stupid online hellworld where it's not ok to say "ya it was fine see it if you like that sorta thing" you either gotta say its zomg amazeballs and make the soy face or be a joyless contrarian and say it sucks corpse taint

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Doorknob Slobber posted:

apparently the people at the end were supposed to have gouged their eyes out rather than just be a random school out in the middle of nowhere which would have been a lot better

Is that the book ending? Thats actually dope.

Could have saved the move in three steps:
- kid dies in the river
- gouging our eyeballs
- blind seeing service dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

So was it expressly mentioned how seeing 'the thing' didn't make some people just kill themselves considering it was kinda implied that it outright made you kill yourself for most of the movie?

Also psycho dude that made it inside had normal eyes and then crazy eyes because he could just do that or what? He had drawings of things we're led to believe he saw, everyone who saw had crazy eyes except him. The more I think about this movie the more I dislike it.