Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can I just choose to not do my taxes every year and just get audited?

I hate doing taxes. I work multiple gigs and have multiple retirement plans and it’s a bit of a headache filing and the amount I owe Uncle Sam every year seems so random.

What’s the worst that can happen if I choose to just not file my taxes and instead wait for the IRS to audit me for what I owe? (Aside from needing to pay interest?)

There is a rather sizable failure to file penalty, in addition to the failure to pay penalty. Plus interest.

It is almost certainly cheaper to pay someone to do your taxes than to take the terrible strategy of just ignoring them until some g. men show up a few years later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Boris Galerkin posted:

L
What’s the worst that can happen if I choose to just not file my taxes and instead wait for the IRS to audit me for what I owe? (Aside from needing to pay interest?)

Shitloads of fines which themselves also have interest applied.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Boris Galerkin posted:

I hate doing taxes. I work multiple gigs and have multiple retirement plans and it’s a bit of a headache filing and the amount I owe Uncle Sam every year seems so random.

In addition to the above, if the IRS has to do your taxes for you they'll just assume the most expensive possible answer to any question involved.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

e: to be 100% clear this is from r/pf lol

https://slate.com/human-interest/2024/04/taxes-file-pay-2024-stop-paying-irs.html posted:

I haven’t filed my taxes for a decade...

The IRS has called a few more times since then, but I recognize the number and haven’t answered. Eventually, that started to drop off too, and I stopped hearing from them altogether. As it turns out, all you need to do to stop paying your taxes is, well, stop paying your taxes.

The irony is that I have a government job now. They did a background check on me where I had to acknowledge a few DUIs I sustained, and—yes—that I hadn’t paid my taxes. To my surprise, I was still brought on to the team. The hiring manager told me that I needed to get up to speed on my finances. I said something like, “Yeah, I’ll get right on it,” and we haven’t spoken about it since.

This n=1 sample indicates hell be fine!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
On one hand, if your taxes are super simple and strictly W2s where everything is withheld, the IRS will probably never notice if you never bother filing.

On the other hand, if that's the case it takes like 15 minutes to file your taxes, and if you don't you'll get no refund of the almost-certain overwithholding and you still get gargantuan, undischargeable fines if/when they ever do notice. Way to play, champ.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Ralith posted:

In addition to the above, if the IRS has to do your taxes for you they'll just assume the most expensive possible answer to any question involved.

I do not believe this is the case.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Ralith posted:

I have filed my taxes and had the IRS correct them in order to give me a larger refund.

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc
The IRS gave me one (1) dollar less than I put on my return this year :catstare:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Boris Galerkin posted:

I listened to this today, thanks. The podcast seems interesting too in general.

the subject matter can be dry, especially when they get more into the weeds of portfolio theory, but i admire their more rigorous approach to it. some of the better long form interviews i've seen, a great mix between asking probing questions, but allowing the interviewee room to respond

quote:

To your comment, the professor rationalized it as basically "I don't care if you're in debt I care if I'm in debt."

On Budgeting:

- I think I also heard her say that in one study, they asked the random pool of participants (with participants being people that use a partner credit union, so there's most likely a selection bias with that) approx 2/3 of people said they "budgeted." Budgeted is in quotes because the researchers didn't define what budgeting meant so as to allow the responders to decide for themselves.

- People who earn less and have irregular income tended to budget less than people who earned more and/or had regular income. When asked why, people said that budgeting made them feel poor so they didn't do it.

On Self-Worth vs Other's Worth:

- People were told to imagine either themselves or someone else getting a windfall and asked them how they'd imagine themselves/others spending the money. Most people said that they'd do a combination of saving and paying off debt. The interesting thing is that people were confident that they'd use the money to pay off more debt compared to the other guy. Maybe they just don't think other people are in as much debt, or maybe they just care more about their own debt situation. It kinda ties with what the OP I quoted said.

On Investing:

- In general, if people were given a choice between a safe 2% ROI vs a risky 10% ROI, taking the 2% ROI in their minds was equivalent to losing 8% ROI. They didn't see it as a 2% ROI, they just focused on the part that they could have gotten 8% more.

I might have gotten some details wrong. I listened to it before lunch on/off doing work. I might relisten to the investing portion as I thought that was pretty interesting.

when they get into behavioral finance and economics, one thread that seems to come through a lot is that people are talked about as "rational" or "irrational", but how much of that is just the failure for researchers to fully understand potential motivations and incentives and set a "rational" optimum that's actually quite subjective

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I did my tax return the night before last. It took five minutes. I signed into the IRD website, clicked "file return", clicked through the wizard and confirmed all the details that had been auto populated based on banks and employers reporting stuff to IRD, hit "I confirm this information is complete and accurate", then hit Submit. It said I owed a further $23, so I signed into the internet banking app on my phone and used the handy "pay tax to IRD" transfer option it has to do that. The rest of the five minutes was spent typing a mock rant to my family on the travesty of making me pay 23 more dollars.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Weatherman posted:

I did my tax return the night before last. It took five minutes. I signed into the IRD website, clicked "file return", clicked through the wizard and confirmed all the details that had been auto populated based on banks and employers reporting stuff to IRD, hit "I confirm this information is complete and accurate", then hit Submit. It said I owed a further $23, so I signed into the internet banking app on my phone and used the handy "pay tax to IRD" transfer option it has to do that. The rest of the five minutes was spent typing a mock rant to my family on the travesty of making me pay 23 more dollars.

That is because your government has not been spending decades to make dealing with taxes as arcane and frustrating as possible, on purpose.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

That is because your government has not been spending decades to make dealing with taxes as arcane and frustrating as possible, on purpose.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

SpelledBackwards posted:

I own 2 cowboy hats and the second one was kind of a dumb purchase (maybe not so dumb if it fit a little better). But dozens? Do you think he would different ones just so people would notice? Gotta cycle the hat at Sunday church services? Struggling to comprehend that part.

Ya that’s too many. I own two - one for weather above 55 degrees (straw) and one for weather below 55 degrees (fur).

Maybe I’d get a third if I wanted a different cold weather color?

It’s like people with 17 pairs of boots. That’s too many.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

rufius posted:

Ya that’s too many. I own two - one for weather above 55 degrees (straw) and one for weather below 55 degrees (fur).

Maybe I’d get a third if I wanted a different cold weather color?

It’s like people with 17 pairs of boots. That’s too many.

You need one for when it is exactly 55 degrees out.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Desert Bus posted:

You need one for when it is exactly 55 degrees out.

I just wear both.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I swear there has to be a goon behind this ad, look at that smirk. "gem mint 10"

ahh it's just a smaller version of the franklin mint I suppose. They have a hillary coin too.

Baddog fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 16, 2024

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Baddog posted:

I swear there has to be a goon behind this ad, look at that smirk. "gem mint 10"

lol, this one is just as bad:

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Lol a sharpie nussy

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

drk posted:

Bobby Hill-rear end looking president

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

when they get into behavioral finance and economics, one thread that seems to come through a lot is that people are talked about as "rational" or "irrational", but how much of that is just the failure for researchers to fully understand potential motivations and incentives and set a "rational" optimum that's actually quite subjective

In general it's understood that people attempt to be rational but we have limited cognitive capabilities and that affects how well we can optimize for our goals. Sometimes researchers believe a little too strongly in a particular model and that's when they start talking about irrationality but they really do know better.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Eating that tasty looking donut even though you're on a diet and know you rationally ought not to for your longterm health, procrastinating on some chore even though you know you'll have to finish it eventually and it'll only get worse, avoiding bringing a sexual health issue that's been worrying you lately up to your doctor because the topic is embarassing... humans make all sorts of decisions based on things other than "rationality".
It's not that we're simply not smart enough to think all the way though and make the truly rational choice (although there are plenty of examples of that too here in the BWM thread), it's that we have totally separate motivational forces that affect our decisions beyond just logic and utility functions.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl

Boris Galerkin posted:

e: to be 100% clear this is from r/pf lol

Back in ~2009 I spent a few months working with my law school's tax clinic. This clinic was designed to assist low income individuals deal with federal tax debt. Typically this debt was amassed from many years of non-filed and unpaid taxes. Most of our clients were directed towards the bankruptcy process, though some of our clients were able to handle a payment plan. Both of these options required the client to first overcome a huge obstacle: they had to file taxes for any years that they had missed.

This required our clients to find old tax paperwork (e.g. W-2s, mortgage interest records, etc). Often this required clients to contact former employers and mortgage services and all sorts of other parties they haven't talked to in years. This process would be arduous enough even for proactive clients who take pride in staying on top of things in their lives. But that's not the kind of client we're talking about here. A client who failed to file their taxes for 5+ years in a row is usually a client who prefers avoidant approaches to conflict resolution. When you tell that client that they need to jump through a bunch of painful hoops before they can deal with their tax debt, they usually respond by simply not doing any of it.

That's on the rare occasion that we could even reach our clients. Most of them never picked up the phone when we called, since they preferred to continue avoiding the conflict. There were many instances where I'd familiarize myself with a case file and spend weeks trying to call a client, only to never actually succeed at talking to them. If the client did pick up their phone then the ensuring conversation would be like pulling teeth.

Honestly, working for this clinic was the most unpleasant and least fulfilling work I've ever done. These clients desperately needed our assistance, but it was nearly impossible to actually move the needle for any of them. I don't think I accomplished a single meaningful thing during my time there.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Wrong thread :pressf:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Eating that tasty looking donut even though you're on a diet and know you rationally ought not to for your longterm health, procrastinating on some chore even though you know you'll have to finish it eventually and it'll only get worse, avoiding bringing a sexual health issue that's been worrying you lately up to your doctor because the topic is embarassing... humans make all sorts of decisions based on things other than "rationality".
It's not that we're simply not smart enough to think all the way though and make the truly rational choice (although there are plenty of examples of that too here in the BWM thread), it's that we have totally separate motivational forces that affect our decisions beyond just logic and utility functions.

Rationality here has nothing to do with logic or reason. The rational choice is the one that maximizes your expected utility, whatever that is. You can write down utility functions that model preferences for short term pleasure over long term gain or for minimizing embarrassment, but you can also model altruism and purely logical behavior. It's not a perfect framework but it is very flexible.

(Of course people don't really have utility functions, but they're generally a reasonable approximation of how we do behave.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Behavioural economics has never come off as anything but a complete joke that's used to berate people for only being poor because they're stupid.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

drk posted:

That president ain't right.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ultrafilter posted:

Rationality here has nothing to do with logic or reason. The rational choice is the one that maximizes your expected utility, whatever that is. You can write down utility functions that model preferences for short term pleasure over long term gain or for minimizing embarrassment, but you can also model altruism and purely logical behavior. It's not a perfect framework but it is very flexible.

(Of course people don't really have utility functions, but they're generally a reasonable approximation of how we do behave.)

My whole point is that people do not behave in line with their "utility functions", they make plenty of knee-jerk or even subconscious decisions that they're not actually happy with the outcome of. The procrastinator is not increasing their lifetime utility by doing the dishes tomorrow instead of today. But in fact they probably didn't even consciously think about whether to do the dishes, they just defaulted to ignoring them. How can they have made the best, highest-utility choice when they haven't even evaluated the other options?

e: actually wait, I can't even tell if I'm arguing with or agreeing with your first post at this point, I guess I interpreted it pretty uncharitably lol

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 17, 2024

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

My whole point is that people do not behave in line with their "utility functions", they make plenty of knee-jerk or even subconscious decisions that they're not actually happy with the outcome of. The procrastinator is not increasing their lifetime utility by doing the dishes tomorrow instead of today. But in fact they probably didn't even consciously think about whether to do the dishes, they just defaulted to ignoring them. How can they have made the best, highest-utility choice when they haven't even evaluated the other options?

e: actually wait, I can't even tell if I'm arguing with or agreeing with your first post at this point, I guess I interpreted it pretty uncharitably lol

Doing the dishes sucks and tomorrow me can be the one to deal with that, not today me.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Behavioural economics has never come off as anything but a complete joke that's used to berate people for only being poor because they're stupid.

Some of the biggest researchers were found to be complete frauds

https://www.npr.org/2023/07/27/1190568472/dan-ariely-francesca-gino-harvard-dishonesty-fabricated-data

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Dunno-Lars posted:

Doing the dishes sucks and tomorrow me can be the one to deal with that, not today me.

I genuinely go "this is for you, Wednesday goose" when I take the recycling down early

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The best thing about being single and introverted is I only ever used one plate, one bowl, one fork, one spoon, one knife, etc. Doing the dishes meant just taking 1 minute to wash them in the sink whenever I used them.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

The best thing about being single and introverted is I only ever used one plate, one bowl, one fork, one spoon, one knife, etc. Doing the dishes meant just taking 1 minute to wash them in the sink whenever I used them.

The vast majority of our dishes come from cooking, not eating.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Cyrano4747 posted:

The vast majority of our dishes come from cooking, not eating.

Just put it all in the microwave in the same plate

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i blame dishwashing machines, because the ease you feel in doing a thing is directly connected to the latency in doing a thing. washing dishes by hand is like 15 sec latency, dishwashing machine is 90 minutes and getting longer

you cannot interleave your cooking with dishwashing with a dishwashing machine

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i blame dishwashing machines, because the ease you feel in doing a thing is directly connected to the latency in doing a thing. washing dishes by hand is like 15 sec latency, dishwashing machine is 90 minutes and getting longer

you cannot interleave your cooking with dishwashing with a dishwashing machine

Sure you can. You just put dishes in the machine as you use them in prep etc and get done with them. Then eat dinner, put those dishes in, and run it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i often reuse dishes by handwashing them while stuff is cooking, can't do that with a dishwashing machine

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I got a dishwasher last year after having to hand wash everything for 3 years and I am easily saving myself 40-60 minutes of labor every day. Dishwashers own.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i often reuse dishes by handwashing them while stuff is cooking, can't do that with a dishwashing machine

just buy a second mixing bowl

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sure you can. You just put dishes in the machine as you use them in prep etc and get done with them. Then eat dinner, put those dishes in, and run it.
Not all cookware is dishwasher appropriate! I'm not contradicting you I'm just throwing this out as a general PSA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Sirotan posted:

I got a dishwasher last year after having to hand wash everything for 3 years and I am easily saving myself 40-60 minutes of labor every day. Dishwashers own.

I've lived 2/3rds of my adult life with the slumlord grade, barely functional dishwasher and having now bought a nice Bosch it's a huge time savings. You can just throw em in there and they actually get clean, vs the cheap ones where you practically have to wash them entirely before putting them in