Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc

canyoneer posted:

I've lived 2/3rds of my adult life with the slumlord grade, barely functional dishwasher and having now bought a nice Bosch it's a huge time savings. You can just throw em in there and they actually get clean, vs the cheap ones where you practically have to wash them entirely before putting them in

There are some hacks to getting even the lovely ones working better -- chiefly running hot water to the sink tap before you start the dishwasher, and taking advantage of the pre-wash cycle.

https://youtu.be/_rBO8neWw04?si=k-QPhYpvNqRcQ2Ez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I love dishwashers and wouldn’t live without one but one of my irrationally hated chores is putting the clean dishes away. It’s such a minor thing but I just hate it. Worth it though.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Guinness posted:

I love dishwashers and wouldn’t live without one but one of my irrationally hated chores is putting the clean dishes away. It’s such a minor thing but I just hate it. Worth it though.

It’s great when someone else handles the dishes but it comes with the risk of misplaced kitchen items. My parents recently stayed with us and unloaded the dishwasher a few times - I loved the time savings on the front end but hate the random places one or two tools seem to end up.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Eric the Mauve posted:

The best thing about being single and introverted is I only ever used one plate, one bowl, one fork, one spoon, one knife, etc. Doing the dishes meant just taking 1 minute to wash them in the sink whenever I used them.

You could be slightly more efficient by washing your dishes in the shower

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Hotel Kpro posted:

You could be slightly more efficient by washing your dishes in the shower

Shower?? Which part of "single and introverted" did you miss there

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Don’t forget, cast iron goes on the bottom rack

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc
eat in the shower. install a toilet in there too.

DON'T cook your food in the shower though.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

pyknosis posted:

There are some hacks to getting even the lovely ones working better -- chiefly running hot water to the sink tap before you start the dishwasher, and taking advantage of the pre-wash cycle.

https://youtu.be/_rBO8neWw04?si=k-QPhYpvNqRcQ2Ez

Going to shout this out as an incredible improvement over baseline if you've got an older dishwasher. Even on new ones, the running hot water trick helps. Oh, and don't overload the dishwasher!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

in college, my "roommate" brushed his teeth in the shower to save time... i think now i would be mad about it but at the time it was just.. oh...

pyknosis posted:

eat in the shower. install a toilet in there too.

DON'T cook your food in the shower though.

how else will i sous vide?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Behavioural economics has never come off as anything but a complete joke that's used to berate people for only being poor because they're stupid.

I disagree. That's as reductive as claiming the entire discipline of rhetoric is about how to trick people who aren't as smart as me (because advertisements don't work on me).

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

in college, my "roommate" brushed his teeth in the shower to save time... i think now i would be mad about it but at the time it was just.. oh...

Hell, I do that now in the morning. It takes 2 minutes for my electric toothbrush cycle, and it takes about 90 seconds for the water to warm up in the morning. So I turn the water on, grab the toothbrush, and half sleep against the side of the shower while it warms up and I brush. I don't need to worry about toothpaste splatter, and when I'm done I can easily rinse it out before I start washing.

If you mean he just went in there to brush and then walked out again, that's just weird.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Guinness posted:

Someone at some point told me that in Canada, there were a bunch of one-bedroom apartments that were rented out and advertised having two dishwashers right next to each other for bachelors, because you could load one up, run it, then use the dishes out of it as you filled the other one up, never needing to put dishes away.

I have no idea if that was apocryphal or not, but that is truly The Dream.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Guinness posted:

Buy two dishwashers and just store the clean ones in the one that just ran, then move them to the other one when dirty. Repeat forever, never put a dish away again

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
great minds...

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Ham Equity posted:

Someone at some point told me that in Canada, there were a bunch of one-bedroom apartments that were rented out and advertised having two dishwashers right next to each other for bachelors, because you could load one up, run it, then use the dishes out of it as you filled the other one up, never needing to put dishes away.

There are two-drawer dishwashers that are basically this without the inanity of having two full dishwashers side by side.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

binge crotching posted:

Hell, I do that now in the morning. It takes 2 minutes for my electric toothbrush cycle, and it takes about 90 seconds for the water to warm up in the morning. So I turn the water on, grab the toothbrush, and half sleep against the side of the shower while it warms up and I brush. I don't need to worry about toothpaste splatter, and when I'm done I can easily rinse it out before I start washing.

If you mean he just went in there to brush and then walked out again, that's just weird.

if you live by yourself or your partner is fine with it, go hogwild.. but when he brushed/showered there would be toothpaste residue all over the front of the basin by the drain. don't ask me how it didn't wash away while the shower was on. it did wash off when the next time someone took a shower but now looking back at it that's kinda a gross thing to do when you're sharing an apartment with 3 other dudes. should probably clean it up after you're done.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Isn't bruising your teeth in the shower like a huge waste of water?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Amazing water pressure if it's bruising your teeth. :v:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Boris Galerkin posted:

some rough math says a 2.5 gallon per minute shower head will cost 2-4 cents per minute depending on your water utility rates so if you brush your teeth morning and night for a total of 4 minutes per day (and shower both times(?)) that's still less than $5/month

e: although bruising your teeth would be very bwm once you take into account the dental costs

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Strong Sauce posted:

if you live by yourself or your partner is fine with it, go hogwild.. but when he brushed/showered there would be toothpaste residue all over the front of the basin by the drain. don't ask me how it didn't wash away while the shower was on. it did wash off when the next time someone took a shower but now looking back at it that's kinda a gross thing to do when you're sharing an apartment with 3 other dudes. should probably clean it up after you're done.

That wasn’t toothpaste residue, OP

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Brushing while Masturbating: That wasn't toothpaste residue

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

some rough math says a 2.5 gallon per minute shower head will cost 2-4 cents per minute depending on your water utility rates so if you brush your teeth morning and night for a total of 4 minutes per day (and shower both times(?)) that's still less than $5/month

e: although bruising your teeth would be very bwm once you take into account the dental costs

Are you sure you're not looking at rates per cu ft? I pay about 2¢/cu ft but that's like 7.5 gal.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
It's a thing in rich people houses to have dual washer/dryer sets, sometimes right next to each other!

I can see the convenience, but it seems like a maintenance headache because appliances wear out both on time and mileage.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Cerekk posted:

Are you sure you're not looking at rates per cu ft? I pay about 2¢/cu ft but that's like 7.5 gal.

I looked at the website for a city near me and their public utility prices ratchet up from around 3.6 to over 10 cents per cubic foot depending on water usage. Two other counties nearby were in the 4-6 range. Yeah i had to convert it to gallons.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Strong Sauce posted:

how else will i sous vide?

Use your dishwasher:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOOQ5v8aJTI&t=430s

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ham Equity posted:

Inside of you are two dishwashers. One of them has clean dishes. The other has dirty dishes. Do not mix them up.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dishwashers are for fish, not lasagna.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtxOdDsWwS8

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Many people step into the shower and enjoy the feeling of water of various temperatures hitting them and helping them wake up. On your planet do people step into the shower and immediately proceed to the washing with soap part and get out in under two minutes like they're in a time trial?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Shaving in the shower is great, especially with my facial barbed wire.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Putting a bench in my shower was a game changer. Sorry to the future casualties of the water wars, but I’m never giving up sitting down in the shower.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Wifi Toilet posted:

Putting a bench in my shower was a game changer. Sorry to the future casualties of the water wars, but I’m never giving up sitting down in the shower.

A) you old

B) strong username/post synergy

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I looked at the website for a city near me and their public utility prices ratchet up from around 3.6 to over 10 cents per cubic foot depending on water usage. Two other counties nearby were in the 4-6 range. Yeah i had to convert it to gallons.

Now this thread is going places :hellyeah:

We pay about 6¢ in the off season and between 6-12¢/cf based on usage in the peak season with tiers at 10/25/37 ccf/60d.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Wifi Toilet posted:

You know, if you take a bath, you can just straight up lay down.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Shaving in the shower is great, especially with my facial barbed wire.

Shower shaving is A tier.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Volmarias posted:

You know, if you take a bath, you can just straight up lay down.

For me, that necessitates bathtubs ever existing that I fit in without scrunching up.

Residency Evil posted:

Shower shaving is A tier.

yop

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Silly Newbie posted:

Many people step into the shower and enjoy the feeling of water of various temperatures hitting them and helping them wake up. On your planet do people step into the shower and immediately proceed to the washing with soap part and get out in under two minutes like they're in a time trial?

Yeah my concern was about wasting water not how many cents it costs.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Every time I see some of this gimmick "cooking in the dishwasher" poo poo I'm like .. why? Like I understand it's a box that heats up and it's actually pretty clean and fine if you don't put detergent in your "cooking" cycle but.. do these people not have ovens? In what way is lasagna improved by cooking it with wet heat while water is sprayed everywhere? You have to seal the cooking dish pretty well so your actual food isn't washed away, so there's no benefit to all the extra water.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

mrmcd posted:

Every time I see some of this gimmick "cooking in the dishwasher" poo poo I'm like .. why? Like I understand it's a box that heats up and it's actually pretty clean and fine if you don't put detergent in your "cooking" cycle but.. do these people not have ovens? In what way is lasagna improved by cooking it with wet heat while water is sprayed everywhere? You have to seal the cooking dish pretty well so your actual food isn't washed away, so there's no benefit to all the extra water.

That show is called Extreme Cheapskates. It's about people going to extremes to save a dollar. There are "normal" stuff like people taking leftovers home to eat, and "wtf" stuff like people walking up to complete strangers who look like they're waiting for their leftovers to be cleared and asking them if they could take it home. And people who don't flush the toilets to save water costs. That woman in the video makes her husband turn off the electricity every time there's a commercial break, when they've got 20+ people at their get together.

E: there's an episode where the non frugal person in the relationship got chided for swiping the deodorant under each arm two times or whatever. They were only allowed one swipe per arm. I must have seen it 10 years ago I feel like but that scene lives rent free in my head still.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 18, 2024

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

silvergoose posted:

For me, that necessitates bathtubs ever existing that I fit in without scrunching up.

yop

If you have your own home, and you're willing / able to renovate, Bathtubs That Fit Tall Persons do exist, although they're not common. I had one for several glorious days in a hotel once, and some day I hope to again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah my concern was about wasting water not how many cents it costs.

many places do not in fact have any kind of restrictions on water use because fresh water is abundant in much of the world

like yes I could save some water in New England by not letting the shower warm up but... what is the point exactly