Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Scratch Monkey posted:

Buncha hotdogs

That he posts to the people he subscribes to on onlyfans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Food court my friend, get 7 hot dogs and scroll through Onlyfans

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Medullah posted:

Food court my friend, get 7 hot dogs and scroll through Onlyfans

Fffffffriday night motherfuckers!

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

drk posted:

Sure, if you are day trading in a year when the market is up bigly (like 2021), pretty much anything you buy in the morning will be in profit by the afternoon more days than not. It makes a lot of stupid people think they are trading geniuses.

edit: too blurry to see what she is trading, but this is not the strategy of a buy and hold investor:

Speaking of unlimited income, whatever happened to the case in France of the family that had a never expiring life insurance contract with some broker to be able to trade on the previous day's prices? Weren't they supposed to make more money than the GDP of the country in a couple decades, obviously bankrupting the broker long before then?

https://www.ft.com/content/965334ac-630a-33b5-8173-93a07e6ac0ca

drk
Jan 16, 2005
he was put on forbes 30 under 30 list and looks like a young bond villan, so... prison?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

SpelledBackwards posted:

Speaking of unlimited income, whatever happened to the case in France of the family that had a never expiring life insurance contract with some broker to be able to trade on the previous day's prices? Weren't they supposed to make more money than the GDP of the country in a couple decades, obviously bankrupting the broker long before then?

https://www.ft.com/content/965334ac-630a-33b5-8173-93a07e6ac0ca

archive link: https://archive.is/8QiFQ

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

A friend just financed a 2024 Hyundai Santa Fe for about $56k OTD at 4.99% for 60 months with nothing down. Payment of about $1,050 is only a few hundred less than their mortgage. Single income of maybe $105k gross with little savings, retirement or otherwise.

Apparently they needed this for the safety of their family, because “that’s the most important thing.” That and the “spacious” third-row for their dogs.

:munch: :fsmug:

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Senf posted:

A friend just financed a 2024 Hyundai Santa Fe for about $56k OTD

Given that the highest trim is $46k either they rolled some negative equity in there, or they bought every possible additional extended warranty and other BS on offer as well

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

drk posted:

Given that the highest trim is $46k either they rolled some negative equity in there, or they bought every possible additional extended warranty and other BS on offer as well

MSRP for the “Calligraphy” trim is $48,300. I’m assuming that’s what they got because once you tack on the dealer’s “inland freight and handling” fee of $1,395, it mostly balances. No trade-in, no added warranty, GAP, etc. Sounds like it was a straight walk-in and no haggle sort of arrangement.

Spent an hour or so yesterday trying to talk them out of a GX 550, and yet here we are instead. Just incredible stuff.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Senf posted:

Payment of about $1,050 is only a few hundred less than their mortgage.

:catstare:

No humble brags, even about friends, thanks.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Senf posted:

Spent an hour or so yesterday trying to talk them out of a GX 550, and yet here we are instead. Just incredible stuff.

my children wont be safe in anything less then a top trim luxury SUV

safe from being called poor, that is

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Volmarias posted:

:catstare:

No humble brags, even about friends, thanks.

Right? I loving wish. But I also enjoy living somewhere with more than a single park and a dozen or so chain stores.

It’s 100% a Joneses play. They wouldn’t listen to anything regarding a used car, etc. I wonder how much the fancy whip has already depreciated :allears:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Senf posted:

with little savings, retirement or otherwise.

Statistically this is probably true, but most people downplay that in social settings so who really knows without seeing brokerage statements. There are folks in this thread with decent savings, but aren’t necessarily going to volunteer that they paid for a car in cash or what their 529 balance is when the price of things these days comes up in polite conversation. And some people just like to complain about money no matter how much they have.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I think I mentioned it once before but I personally know a guy who not only lives as though his annual pretax income were about $30,000, but actually has psyched himself into believing his annual pretax income is about $30,000. It's more like $75,000 (which in rural Pennsyltucky where he lives is a fair chunk of change relative to cost of living). And he owns his ~20 acre property outright. And he pays no gas/heating bill ever as part of the terms by which his since-deceased father sold the other half of what used to be his ~40 acre property to the gas company decades ago. He's a great dude except that he perpetually claims money is sooooo tight, whereas I am pretty certain when he and his wife die their daughter will be a multimillion dollar heiress. I don't think even she knows it. They've been "poor" from the beginning of her life.

Some people are just that way.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

drk posted:

my children wont be safe in anything less then a top trim luxury SUV

safe from being called poor, that is

Was it this thread or the OSHA thread where parents were buying loving Audi Q8s because they needed their children to be "safe" after having accidentally run over their child with a smaller SUV?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Fil5000 posted:

Was it this thread or the OSHA thread where parents were buying loving Audi Q8s because they needed their children to be "safe" after having accidentally run over their child with a smaller SUV?

This thread, I love the OSHA thread but don't regularly read it

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

It stuck in my mind because I was car shopping at the time specifically for seven seaters and the thought of driving one of those behemoths around sounded like hell even without having such low visibility hitting a child that you KNOW IS THERE is still possible.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I need seven seats to get my whole family into the car so that I can't accidentally run them over with the car.

Everyone else's families can get under my wheels if they're too poor to take out a $1500 monthly payment to buy their own Audi killdozer.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
They make cars that can hold 7 people with decent visibility. They're called minivans, but are decidedly not angry enough to drive as an American.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

As a non American I am fine with not being in a murderbus

(went with the bmw grand tourer in the end, it's nice)

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I have three kids and used to frequently have to drive two or more people from the airport when the visited. I had a minivan for years but wanted something with the same capacity but also more ground clearance and AWD because for some reason our long car trips seemed to end up crossing relatively rough terrain. The last time we did that in the van the alignment got all messed up. So we bought a VW Atlas and it’s been not terrible. Once all my kids are out of the house I’m hoping we can get rid of it though

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Oil! posted:

They make cars that can hold 7 people with decent visibility. They're called minivans, but are decidedly not angry enough to drive as an American.

The Honda Odyssey has never left. Long live Odyssey-san.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

That’s the one I had. Grey. Terrible ground clearance if you’re, for some reason, driving through barely maintained dirt roads, forest paths, or Mount Mansfield

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I need seven seats to get my whole family into the car so that I can't accidentally run them over with the car.

Everyone else's families can get under my wheels if they're too poor to take out a $1500 monthly payment to buy their own Audi killdozer.

Everyone already knows the Canyonero from The Simpsons, but Pitchshifter had a song that's an even closer match lyrically:

Pitchshifter - As Seen OnTV posted:

When Sport Utiliy Vehicles are no longer enough...you need the TERMINATOR. Stuck in traffic in Lost Angeles? Drive over the tops of everybody else. You'll crush 'em before the cops can catch up with you.

Your precious artifact child needs to be safe, they're talking to a kid who's skin is a different colour? Grab the kid and mow 'em down!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6hseLE2HY4

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Volmarias posted:

All the truck owners laugh at me owning a mininvan, when I bough it I was told "shoulda bought a truck" I laugh when I haul all kinds of poo poo in my 7 person people carrier that they can't fit in their 4 people carrier with short bed.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 29, 2024

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

tater_salad posted:

All the truck owners laugh at me owning a mininvan, when I bough it I was told "shoulda bought a truck" I laugh when I haul all kinds of poo poo in my 7 person people carrier that they can't fit in their 4 people carrier with short bed.

We used to haul a suspension damaging amount of stuff in a work minivan once all the back seats were removed. The boss wanted to upgrade to a SUV because "it could carry more" and we could fit less then half what we used to carry.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

tater_salad posted:

My Honda Fit and Honda Odyssey are the Bag Of Holding of vehicles. Fold those seats down and everything fits.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

canyoneer posted:

My Honda Fit and Honda Odyssey are the Bag Of Holding of vehicles. Fold those seats down and everything fits.

Ha I had this exact combination of vehicles for many years and I never met anything I couldn’t haul be it lumber, furniture, plants, bags, of dirt or whatever

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

canyoneer posted:

Man, I miss the hell out of my Fit. I used it to help a few friends move and the amount of space always confused them. RIP little buddy.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

tater_salad posted:

I’d guess the large majority will never carry something large enough to need a truck, but they tell everyone that because it sounds better than telling everyone they’re buying a truck because they need their egos caressed by owning one.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

That the most popular giant trucks are huge cab short bed tells you everything you need to know

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cacafuego posted:

I’d guess the large majority will never carry something large enough to need a truck, but they tell everyone that because it sounds better than telling everyone they’re buying a truck because they need their egos caressed by owning one.

The one guy used his truck to help someone move 2 times in the 10 years..
another guy offered to let me borrow his truck and flatbed trailer (he had one because his pickup couldn't haul poo poo) so I could move: I just tossed poo poo in my minivan because it was a rainy week and then I didn't have to tie poo poo down.

Minivan GWM.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

My old Prius could carry 8’ long dimensional lumber in significant quantities with the back seats down, as well as large boxes. The Camry that replaced it has a 12”x16” pass through from the trunk to the seating area. I can carry a few pieces of 10’ lumber (in theory, haven’t tried it yet), but I miss that Prius. It was like a freaking TARDIS.

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 29, 2024

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

tater_salad posted:

The one guy used his truck to help someone move 2 times in the 10 years..
another guy offered to let me borrow his truck and flatbed trailer (he had one because his pickup couldn't haul poo poo) so I could move: I just tossed poo poo in my minivan because it was a rainy week and then I didn't have to tie poo poo down.

Minivan GWM.

90% of the use cases for a pickup truck that don't involve towing a trailer, a van is strictly better. The massive proliferation of pickups in the U.S. is a triumph of marketing.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
is there a reason they cant just put a tow hook on a minivan

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Scratch Monkey posted:

Ha I had this exact combination of vehicles for many years and I never met anything I couldn’t haul be it lumber, furniture, plants, bags, of dirt or whatever

Senf posted:

Man, I miss the hell out of my Fit. I used it to help a few friends move and the amount of space always confused them. RIP little buddy.

Happened all the time when I go to pick up furniture or shop tools or whatever from a Craigslist stranger and they say "there's no way that's going to fit in your car" and then minutes later say "huh, well I stand corrected."

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Also the comparison shouldn't be just whether they ever haul stuff that's better off in a truck bed, it's whether they do it often enough that it's worth compromising (whether it's price, interior space, or whatever, something has to give for that open bed) on their primary vehicle for instead of renting a truck for those jobs. You can buy a kia or honda sedan and rent a pickup truck from home depot for less than you would pay to own the truck in most cases.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Even my Hyundai Accent could fit a surprising about of poo poo once you laid down the back seats. Hatchbacks rule.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Volmarias posted:

My parents have a 2004 Odyssey that has been a people carrier for my family for neigh on 2 decades. That thing still runs really well and also very luxuriously to boot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

is there a reason they cant just put a tow hook on a minivan

It doesn't look cool.