Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

My skepticism centers on whether there's a true, measurable difference that could be independently reproduced, or if this is just another example of the wine connoisseur thing where there fundamentally isn't a there there and they've just been accultured into a social milieu where an ability to verbally jerk off over grape juice is a status signifier.

It's more likely to be real where you have something with complex construction interacting with a human body. It makes sense that it does make a mechanical difference in terms of ease of complex techniques.

A listener might not be able to tell the difference in tone but it might feel better for the flautist and mean they have a higher chance of executing correctly. That's pretty different to wine tasting, it's closer to how a luxury car feels to drive compared to a cheaper car (I know nothing about cars I hope this metaphor makes sense).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
so it's 95% wealth and power, 5% actually being better, just like luxury cars

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I guess that 80k instrument is gonna last your entire lifetime. Most other things you have a pretty high yearly burn.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

bob dobbs is dead posted:

so it's 95% wealth and power, 5% actually being better, just like luxury cars

Just like luxury anything, mostly.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Baddog posted:

I guess that 80k instrument is gonna last your entire lifetime. Most other things you have a pretty high yearly burn.

its also gonna be worth a good amount of money to your heirs

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Baddog posted:

every instrument has got maintenance, and winds have more cuz you put your spit in them

i had a nasty habit of drinking diet coke right before playing my saxophone a long time ago, which ruined a $400 cheapo one's insides. if i'd had my $2500 selmer ($4000 nowadays, looks like) back then, that woulda been a problem

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah if you're buying an 80k flute from Powell's you have a relationship with Powell's already. You've bought instruments from them before, you bring your instruments there for repair, etc. So part of the customization is you go in and play some stuff, maybe borrow a couple instruments they have, then tell them what you think you want. They probably do some measurements for arrangement of keys and stuff. They build something for you, you play it, and you say well I want this and that and the other thing adjusted and they do that, to the extent of remaking parts (or all) of the instrument. This is like, a craftsman tier bespoke object. Guitars, even handmade ones, are largely commoditized.

How does this super customization play into the used market? Are instruments at this level recustomized when resold?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

In 8th grade I convinced the band teacher to buy a bassoon so I could switch from clarinet, and when I later looked up how much they cost it was definitely a GWM move on my part.

Even the reeds were like $10 apiece back in the early 2000s.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

oh yeah i mean none of this is necessary for a music PhD at a all because if you are really playing enough at a high enough level to justify an 80k flute you are not getting a music PhD because you have been doing the top tier pro flute thing for your whole life and you already own an 80k flute

Out of curiosity, is this pretty much everyone in a professional orchestra? I'm sure there's a massive amount of confounding (ie, the type of person that makes it to a professional orchestra likely comes from a background that makes it possible for them to spend their lives being a professional musician etc etc), but is there anyone in a professional orchestra that dgaf slumming it with a 10k instrument?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

carrionman posted:

Jesus, I felt hard done by having to buy 8k of tools for a trade qual.

One of my high school friends went about 40k in the hole becoming a professional DJ, which just lol.

In the metaverse?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
percussion, piano and double bass (this is more of a variegated thing) are usually provided by orchestra. organs, basically without exception

sometimes orchestras have their own mega-obscure stuff like richard wagner tuba, contrabass trombone / saxophone, etc.

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 3, 2024

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Gonna win the powerball and build my own pipe organ

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
alan kay has one

just gotta get paid 7 / 8 figgies a year at then-tech majors for decades, i guess

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

alan kay has one

just gotta get paid 7 / 8 figgies a year at then-tech majors for decades, i guess

You can afford one a lot easier than that. A nice church organ like that one is less than $200K. You could get a nice appropriate to a mcmansion sized one for less than the $80K people are paying for flutes.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, the mansion in the bay area is the main thing i'm actually talking about

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

oh yeah i mean none of this is necessary for a music PhD at a all because if you are really playing enough at a high enough level to justify an 80k flute you are not getting a music PhD because you have been doing the top tier pro flute thing for your whole life and you already own an 80k flute

I wonder sometimes about things like music PhDs. On the one hand, it clearly has no ties with career advancement. Music is one of those fields like sports or acting, where everything that matters is actual performance and absolutely no one gives a gently caress about any kind of credentialing. But it also doesn't seem like the sciences, where the people doing the pure research in academic fields may not be pulling in the $$$ but are still necessary because what they do filters down and becomes vital to the work of the professionals.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the liberal arts were originally designed for noblemen to do noblemen poo poo, all the intellectual tools to do mass violence and be officers (or churchmen or administrators or lawyers). music was critical for violence in the premodern era for troop signalling and is basically marginal now, although armies still have bands and orchestras because they're organizational magpies. education perseverates, what can I say

the trivium (grammar / writing, logic, rhetoric) for understanding and giving orders and thinking. of the quadrivium (arithmetic, geometry, music, astronomy), arithmetic and geometry for sieges and supply. music for signalling. astronomy for navigation. of course these also have use for churchmen and stuff

noblemen's schools in the 1500s advertised also their high-quality drill exercises for 10-year-olds. the modern comparative pacifism of universities stems from vietnam, within living memory and peeps still have rotc and stuff

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 3, 2024

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Music theory is a fairly active area of research and it does influence some compositions, but not in a way that most of us will ever hear. That probably translates into indirect influence on more popular music even if it's slow.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

also its like fine to do things for fun or enlightenment or whatever, just generally a bad idea to take out a loan to buy a 80k accessory that isn't going to actually support your "fun" Music PhD journey

Residency Evil posted:

Out of curiosity, is this pretty much everyone in a professional orchestra? I'm sure there's a massive amount of confounding (ie, the type of person that makes it to a professional orchestra likely comes from a background that makes it possible for them to spend their lives being a professional musician etc etc), but is there anyone in a professional orchestra that dgaf slumming it with a 10k instrument?

Depends on how you define professional. Nobody you see at say, the Cleveland Symphony is gonna be playing a cheap instrument. And generally speaking you don't make it to professional orchestra permanent chair tiers without very much giving a gently caress about every aspect of your playing, from your instrument to conditions to your body. That includes stuff like specialized physical therapy, targeted strength and conditioning etc. I have a finger deformity that was exacerbated by playing; in order to keep playing at the amount I had to play to progress, I had to get an expensive and custom fit ring splint. I had to do various specific exercises to build strength and flexibility and I had to be careful about how I otherwise used that finger. edit: and I was by no means good enough, like I didn't practice more than an hour a day, and i was never going to go to a conservatory and or make a career out of it. But even playing at a high level in youth orchestra you have to do that poo poo or quit. (eventually I quit)

I think people conflate pro classical music as like, amateur music but more so (I play an hour a day and am decent, think about how good I could be with a good teacher and time and money for more lessons and a good instrument and free time to practice more!), when in reality it's pro sports, except you don't get paid and there's only niche glory in it.

edit: Most of the people I know who play/played at a high level view the instrument as an extension of themselves or a partner in a fairly personal way. It makes sense at some level both from a total amount of time invested and spent with that object and from the emotional nature of music and performance. People who have had to stop playing for various reasons become depressed, suicidal, etc. It's basically the pro athlete story.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 3, 2024

drk
Jan 16, 2005
I would like to assume anyone getting a music PhD comes from enough wealth that they dont need to really worry about working. And in that case, sure, why not. Its better than spending your time and money on boats and cocaine or something.

But, this guy cant even afford a solid gold flute without taking out a loan? That thing is getting repo'd and melted down for sure

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
gotta be having nobleman money to go do nobleman poo poo

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That includes stuff like specialized physical therapy, targeted strength and conditioning etc.

there’s a place that makes flutes of different weights/materials for use in physical therapy and such

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Are we, and by we I mean you, paying for people to do flute PhDs, or are they self funding? BWM either way

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think people conflate pro classical music as like, amateur music but more so (I play an hour a day and am decent, think about how good I could be with a good teacher and time and money for more lessons and a good instrument and free time to practice more!), when in reality it's pro sports, except you don't get paid and there's only niche glory in it.

To extend the analogy to pro sports, Under Armour even makes a line of moisture wicking, temperature controlling formalwear for players and conductors who have to be all fancy to play in symphonies and whatnot. (Or at least they're trialing it with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra.)

Baddog
May 12, 2001

knox_harrington posted:

Are we, and by we I mean you, paying for people to do flute PhDs, or are they self funding? BWM either way

Pmchem is prolly gonna kill me for drifting into what can be considered politics in the funny thread. I think the discussion has actually been pretty good tho?

I'd be ok paying for the education, because we shouldn't just subsidize stem. Liberal arts degrees have a ton of value as well. But I have a hard time with student loans going for 80k flutes. Or the original example, buying options on GameStop.

Or on the supplier side, enabling public colleges to bloat up so badly that they start building buffalo shaped outdoor swimming pools in an area where outdoor pools are a terrible idea because of the soil and the temperature swings.

https://www.americanspa.com/universities/university-colorado-buffalo-shaped-pool-opens

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

lotta you grew up not spending much time around professional classical wizards i take it

Most of you are thinking of the wand in terms of a hobby or like the thing that you do on the weekends to pick up some beer money at the bar. The top end wand market is for serious professionals with very high levels of skill and personal preference. This is not spend $30-100K on a thing that you practice on for an hour a day. You cast so, so much to get to a high level, and having a wand that precisely suits your preferences is the difference between you getting a permanent wizard council chair and you just teaching lessons to 14 year olds and gigging at a decent level. These wizards will be able to tell the difference between various wands (in this example) and have preferences about various details of construction and other things. Here's Powell's, a high end wand manufacturer: https://www.powellwands.com/en/castinginstruments/handmade-custom/ These wands are targeted at either high end hedge wizards with more money than sense or legitimate, best 10,000 in the world tier sorcerers.

Once you get to really elite levels within that best 10,000 in the world tier, there's also a prestige factor. A lot of very, very nice wands are owned by trusts or foundations and loaned out to wizards, often on permanent loan. This means that your body of work is such that someone who owns a truly unique wand that is essentially priceless is going to just let you cast with it for free. This is a pretty big flex over fellow wizards and means that you will get work, because fundamentally the people that fund classical magic are prestige oriented.

edit: the wand business definitely targets hedge wizards who think they are better than they are or who desire to be better than they are and that is the tier you all are talking about, when you move from a sub-1K wand to like a $5k wand. For most people their talent will never exceed the capabilities of a roughly $5K wand. Like for me I spent my childhood casting a lot at a decently high level and I outgrew a $1500 wand but not a $7500 dollar wand.

With just a few word changes, your (very interesting) post becomes lore in a post-modern fantasy novel.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
A music performance/composition PhD is like a DA/DFA: essentially just an arbitrary tool for universities to further extract money from dilettantes. You can learn and demonstrate your mastery of these subjects perfectly well without the advanced degree, and it is not expected even for teaching at the university level.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

They're not great with money any way, but I don't think even things like 80k flutes on a student loan really compare to poo poo like gamestop options (or audiophile nonsense). We're in a society where tons of people spend the vast majority of their leisure time consuming art. Yet the prevailing opinion among those people is that the anyone who does the work to create that art is an effete layabout , even if they're literally dedicating their lives to a craft that requires extreme levels of practice and talent.

The best analogy I have is tools, where yes there's tons of stuff you can get from harbor freight that's just as good as snap-on. There are also many situations where the cheap tool is worse than nothing and just damages your workpiece or breaks apart within it. Often in these cases, the expensive tool wouldn't have any problems (screwdrivers of all things can be like this). Despite the real tendency for dilettantes to pretend they're pros, there is a reason to prefer a tool made with quality materials to a high standard over the cheapest bullshit you can find on aliexpress. It's just that the "prosumer" market tends to generate a lot of chaff where people who can't afford the pro stuff just buy whatever is expensive, but not bank-breaking.

Lyesh fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 3, 2024

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Not a Children posted:

I recently picked up a keyboard to learn piano and while the people at the local guitar center were pretty chill there was definitely an undercurrent of "if you are serious about learning you can get this model for just a few hundo more, and if you're gonna do that anyway these other models blow that out of the water and are just a little more than that" and no dude I just need the cheapest thing with 88 weighted keys and a sustain pedal

Thanks to the Internet you can get this same experience from people who don't even have a monetary interest in selling you the more expensive poo poo, just head over to /r/somehobby for lots of pictures of new gear, questions about which gear to buy, and very occasionally an actual demonstration that somebody is using the gear.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
a platinum flute is not a prerequisite to creating art, even if it really is 10% more comfortable to play that one annoying chord that always felt a bit awkward on your rental
also neither music phds nor elite classical orchestras are producing the kind of popular art that most people seek out and enjoy. it's definitely about prestige and status

i'll support anyone's right to post beats to soundcloud from their mom's basement though

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 3, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

rjmccall posted:

I assume there are any number of subtle artisan touches that distinguish fine flutemaking from the common tin whistle. I also assume they don’t really have much to do with making the drat thing out of platinum.

My wife's relative died recently and was a flute professor. He had a collection of antique flutes and getting them appraised was extraordinarily difficult because . . . He was the guy who appraised such things

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

a platinum flute is not a prerequisite to creating art, even if it really is 10% more comfortable to play that one annoying chord that always felt a bit awkward on your rental
also neither music phds nor elite classical orchestras are producing the kind of popular art that most people seek out and enjoy. it's definitely about prestige and status

i'll support anyone's right to post beats to soundcloud from their mom's basement though

People are acting like there's prices for things that are "obviously" past the point of noticeable returns based on gut feelings, so forgive me if I'm overstating my point quite a bit.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the people who get watched and listened to are often compensated fairly, it's just that literally something like 10,000 peeps make half of all music that actually gets listened to per listens. so even more brutally unequal than classical music

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Lyesh posted:

People are acting like there's prices for things that are "obviously" past the point of noticeable returns based on gut feelings, so forgive me if I'm overstating my point quite a bit.

i'll go so far as to say that even if the 80k flute is obviously and measurably superior to their current one it's still not worth it for a student with no job to pay more than the median american household's yearly income for an upgrade to an instrument they already have

at least not unless they're rich as gently caress already and can pay for it out of pocket

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Higher quality implies higher cost but higher cost does not imply higher quality. There is a point where you cannot meaningfully improve the quality of a tool, and the cost to achieve that level of quality is well well below the maximum someone somewhere is willing to charge you for something comparable or worse.

Also cost does not scale linearly with quality. You might get a significant improvements for minor increases in cost or gaining even minimal improvement might result in a significant increase in cost.

Basically don't buy the cheap crap but also don't think that buying the most expensive thing on the market acts like going from a +4 to a +5 enchanted weapon.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 3, 2024

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
It is complicated by the fact that steel, silver, and gold flutes do actually sound different, because they are, after all, different metals. But of course different doesn’t necessarily mean better; wooden flutes can also sound great, it’s just a very different sound.

I can’t find anyone talking about the different acoustics of platinum

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just wanna laugh at people BWM like this genius who lost 25 million USD gambling.

https://x.com/ClubShayShay/status/1785824594542424510

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

chuck pulls in like ten mil a year in base pay from TNT right now after making like 40 million in his NBA career so i think hes gonna be ok

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

i'll go so far as to say that even if the 80k flute is obviously and measurably superior to their current one it's still not worth it for a student with no job to pay more than the median american household's yearly income for an upgrade to an instrument they already have

at least not unless they're rich as gently caress already and can pay for it out of pocket

i don't think anyone's arguing that it's a bad idea for this particular moron to buy a 80k flute but the original argument revolved more around "why would anyone pay more than $2-4k for a musical instrument" than the dudes specific circumstances

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Bad with Mozart: the “magic” flute