Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
ding ding ding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
the army is fueled by spite and jealousy

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

battalion commander: "why can't we retain any junior officers? :qq:"

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Nice to see nothing's changed with that poo poo show since I left six months ago. Only duty station I don't even have one Facebook friend from.

Anyway I had a long day of listening to radio plays for school, and taking a nap, so I'm going to smoke a well earned joint and play some Smash Bros. This can be your future, Mustang.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Comp days are broken promises.

Ill never work for a comp day again.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

A Bad Poster posted:

Nice to see nothing's changed with that poo poo show since I left six months ago. Only duty station I don't even have one Facebook friend from.

Anyway I had a long day of listening to radio plays for school, and taking a nap, so I'm going to smoke a well earned joint and play some Smash Bros. This can be your future, Mustang.

I'd say it's just going to get worse than when you were here. Our new BDE command team are hardcore RANGERS!! and some poo poo has already gotten pretty dumb. Dumber than it was that is.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Hahhahaahha you're all gonna die

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

not caring here posted:

Hahhahaahha you're all gonna die

In Venezuela?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
gently caress dude, that one is going to be the lucky draw deployment while the rest of us get EFPed in Iran

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wasabi the J posted:

So I just had a manager in my orientation bitch about people "abusing" sick time, then segued into how sick time didn't even exist in the army.

Like, no poo poo, that's why I don't work at army.

This motherfucker didn't even identify himself as ARMY as gently caress, until he said that poo poo and I loving despised it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I had to yell at one of my juniors because they were abusing our telework policy. They were trying to stack the days in conjunction with PTO and a holiday to avoid being in the office for like 12 days. We have a 60% on-site requirement for the month. I told them to cut it out, this isn't college. We have a minimum staffing requirement and loving off for that long puts a burden on us.

But they're 23 and have been working for three months, ever. So they get a pass. But I felt a little guilty.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Well the manager is just a dick because he's head of like, enforcing all HR policy, and we have Certificate of Illness clauses.

If someone calls in sick and management thinks they're malingering, each department manager can require a doctor's note after call-ins.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I had to explain to my manager what malingering even was.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I have a coworker that requires doctors notes due to abuse of both sick and fmla requests.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Basically it's "get a note from ER" or "its not bad enough to go to ER so suffer through" for my options

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
COI means you could go to any quick care clinic in the valley and get a note saying "he sure looks sick" from them but it's stupid.

Who gives a gently caress if they're sick or not? Who cares? It's literally powerplay bullshit over subordinates.

It's never the loving dude who deserves it who gets hosed with over call outs; it's always someone who's been there before management changed and hasn't bent over backwards to break and bend the loving rules.

gently caress management

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Man my HHC commander has got to be one of the dumbest loving people. I don't know how our BDE commander was like "drat, I gotta give this dude a command!"

The only thing he has going for him is that he gets 300 on APFTs.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
And that’s why he’s the HHC commander

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mustang posted:

Man my HHC commander has got to be one of the dumbest loving people. I don't know how our BDE commander was like "drat, I gotta give this dude a command!"

The only thing he has going for him is that he gets 300 on APFTs.

You found the loving answer dawg

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Look at Mr. 298 casting aspersions, where's the other two points LT, forget them with your heart?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

can't remember the last apft i took and that's a good thing

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

EBB posted:

:same:

All I remember is that I failed it.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

A Bad Poster posted:

:same:

All I remember is that I failed it.

SMDFTB I'M MEB

Alex433999
Aug 16, 2014
https://youtu.be/uDn_-QJ--9E

Crossposting from idiots thread, this is 100% the worst recruiting ad I have ever seen

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

EBB posted:

April of 96.

Why do I still know this

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Alex433999 posted:

https://youtu.be/uDn_-QJ--9E

Crossposting from idiots thread, this is 100% the worst recruiting ad I have ever seen

Oh my

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

EBB posted:

I managed to avoid taking one for the last 12 months I was in thanks to a series of temporary profiles for the 3 bulged disks in my back and an IRR packet that was approved just in time.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i asked one of the colonels responsible for the new ACFT if their grand plan involved giving property book holders chronic anxiety

i did not get an answer, just a shrug

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Why would he give a poo poo? It's not like it'll ever be his problem.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I didn't necessarily expect him to give a poo poo, but I did expect at least a canned answer.

The meeting we were both in was concerning retention factors, which is why I asked him in the first place.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I do get a hearty chuckle out of the idea of expecting that the Army will actually invest in soldier health. Not even the "we should do this so we don't have broken as gently caress veterans" sense of the word health. I cannot see the Army actually dedicating funds to programs that improve physical readiness.

The current extent is "buy some shoes on your own to run more often and find a gravelly as gently caress road to tear your rear end apart on for situps and gently caress up your palms with pushups" and nothing else. Gyms are treated like recreational amenities. Actual training equipment that someone would have to sign and account for? Comprehensive exercise programs that require more expertise than your average knuckle-dragging NCO and a good idea fairy? Outcome based nutritional regimens that start with not having bottom-line poo poo shoveled out of the DFAC by sub-sub-contracted penny pinchers?

You're out of your loving mind if you say the Army will take that seriously.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I can't go into further details but all of these are identified issues. The current consensus is "it's really loving hard to change it" but yeah. They know.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I’m thinking about re-enlisting with the band for a bit so my benefits don’t expire and I can continue to get paid to go to college. Might get my masters too if I enjoy the band. it’s easy funding for an education. gently caress being an 88m ever again tho. Months of nothing followed by 3 months of half assed field work.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Read the big bitch post and scrolled back up. Yep it’s mustang. Thanks for your service your jaded as hell forever now like we are

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Read the big bitch post and scrolled back up. Yep it’s mustang. Thanks for your service your jaded as hell forever now like we are

its curtains for Kevin posted:

I’m thinking about re-enlisting with the band for a bit so my benefits don’t expire and I can continue to get paid to go to college. Might get my masters too if I enjoy the band. it’s easy funding for an education. gently caress being an 88m ever again tho. Months of nothing followed by 3 months of half assed field work.

:thunk:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Vasudus posted:

I can't go into further details but all of these are identified issues. The current consensus is "it's really loving hard to change it" but yeah. They know.

Maybe the DOD can stop writing policies with a rule allowing commanders to change it at will.

It's loving asinine the military spends millions identifying issues, fielding solutions, and dictating policy with an asterisk allowing any O3 to go "gently caress that we're doing my dumb poo poo."

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Until commanders are held personally responsible for injuries their Joes incur on account of dumb command discretion decisions, the Army will continue to grind its workforce into a pulp.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Pays for college man :shrug:

I don't get the kind of bullshit he does either. The guard units in OK are lazy and never do anything so there isn't even an NTC or yak to bitch about. Just driving an hour to the middle of nowhere's armory and hiding in trucks playing on my phone after we PMCS the same three trucks that never get used. I am hopeful that the band provides a better experience though, and if I wasn't swapping MOS's I was gonna loving DIP in august.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

"Hey, pays for college" got me two knee replacements before I'm 36.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I get funny looks when I complain about my arthritis