Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I get funny looks when I complain about my arthritis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

My wife keeps telling me I’m still young at 28 when I can’t stand fully erect from this back pain for a few minutes after sitting for any length of time.

I tell her she’s full of poo poo.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I feel a burst of heart whenever the elevators at work are down for maintenance and I take the stairs.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Naked Bear posted:

I feel a burst of heart whenever the elevators at work are down for maintenance and I take the stairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyHx-dPz2RA

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Played a funeral for a general officer this morning. Horses got spooked by god knows what after they got hooked up. They took off and ended up rolling the (thankfully empty) caisson in full view of the GO's family. It got jammed upside down in the ground and after the funeral was over they were bringing in earth movers to lift it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

psydude posted:

Until commanders are held personally responsible for injuries their Joes incur on account of dumb command discretion decisions, the Army will continue to grind its workforce into a pulp.

What? And remove their ability to mitigate responsibility?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Loden Taylor posted:

Played a funeral for a general officer this morning. Horses got spooked by god knows what after they got hooked up. They took off and ended up rolling the (thankfully empty) caisson in full view of the GO's family. It got jammed upside down in the ground and after the funeral was over they were bringing in earth movers to lift it.

This is Army as gently caress

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
The horses just had to maintain their title of stupidest animals on earth.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

A Bad Poster posted:

I hear the Marines are still fighting them for that.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Loden Taylor posted:

Poor old Freckles, thought of Taps and died.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

A Bad Poster posted:

it's actually an extremely intelligent instinct to run away from anything involving a flag officer

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Speaking of animals, I may be taking a position in South Korea. Wife is cool with it, not sure about the cats. Anyone ever moved there and took their pets with that knows how it's done? Asking around at work gave me the impression there's veterinarians involved?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
i think they have to quarantine like a month going there and coming back, iirc

edit: this is just what I remember them saying at the in processing brief like 10+ years ago, I didn't experience doing it myself

brains
May 12, 2004

got my dd 214 today :feelsgood:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

brains posted:

Congratulations!

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

brains posted:

hell yeah dude its the best feeling in the world

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

brains posted:

Nice

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

brains posted:

smoke weed my friend

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

mods changed my name posted:

i think they have to quarantine like a month going there and coming back, iirc

edit: this is just what I remember them saying at the in processing brief like 10+ years ago, I didn't experience doing it myself

When I went back to Hawaii I just went to the on post vets. They just went through the checklist and scheduled everything for me

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
yeah I'm happy to be wrongon this, I didn't have any pets or anything I was just a dumb single barracks soldier and all I remember is thinking that it would suck to have an animal friend in a kennel for a month

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I am, in total sincerity, not sure one of my cats would survive a month in isolation. He gets so terrified going to the veterinarian that he just shuts down. Doesn't meow, doesn't move, doesn't move his eyes, if you pick him up it's like he's drunk or asleep. His heart is being a million miles a minute, but he just shuts down. We're already looking at kitty prozac for the flight, but if there's a month isolation period I'm not sure the wife and I could do that to him.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

smoke weed my friend

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

bird food bathtub posted:

I am, in total sincerity, not sure one of my cats would survive a month in isolation. He gets so terrified going to the veterinarian that he just shuts down. Doesn't meow, doesn't move, doesn't move his eyes, if you pick him up it's like he's drunk or asleep. His heart is being a million miles a minute, but he just shuts down. We're already looking at kitty prozac for the flight, but if there's a month isolation period I'm not sure the wife and I could do that to him.

Last I talked to someone going to Korea, the quarantine was minimal/nonexistent as long as you had all of your paperwork in order and all the tests/vaccines done at the correct time. If you don't have all that stuff on hand within the correct timeline, then you're facing an expensive quarantine. I try to make a point of using vaccines and such that are compliant outside of just the USA in case I ever get a surprise PCS overseas.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Most quarantines where they physically quarantine the animal occur when you arrive with a pet that doesn't have the proper paperwork. Generally speaking, there is a process and a number of vaccinations that must be given with records X amount of days out. This occurs with any place that does not have rabies or other pet carried diseases.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
My POV has been inspected, I've signed my safety or whatever counseling form, my personal data is on multiple trackers, rosters and data forms.

I, a grown rear end 30 year old man, am now certified safe. Nothing can happen to me during this weekend snow storm.

Don't known what I would do or how I would survive without the Army's innovative leadership techniques.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My office deputy (O3) somehow ETS'ed without getting his award, final OER, or doing most outprocessing.

Big Army is very mad at him right now apparently.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
What can they even do to him if he's already gone?

I didn't get an ETS award. I know they were writing one up, because my squad leader called me in so he could ask me what he could use as bullet points. I didn't really know what to tell him, I spent pretty much my entire time at that base being useless. Not being able to even pull staff duty useless.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I don't even know but we're getting increasingly desperate, higher ranking people calling.

Last week it was an SGT from Ft. Myers (where his unit actually is), this week it was the battalion S1.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I took a unit and found that two commands prior, the commander ETS’d without signing over an entire building full of materiel, and the commander I was taking over from never fixed it. Fun trying to explain why the person supposedly signed for it cant be there to defend missing items because they ETS’d 2 years ago.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Vasudus posted:

My office deputy (O3) somehow ETS'ed without getting his award, final OER, or doing most outprocessing.

Big Army is very mad at him right now apparently.

I didn’t get an award or a final OER either, but I was effectively attached to a different unit while deployed. My supervisor there sent comments for an OER to our brigade surgeon...who ignored them and PCS’d almost as soon as we got home. Never so much as got a deployment award either, but that unit was so full of shitbirds that were too busy hazing their subordinates (PVT Danny Chen was in one of our battalions) to care about any of that paperwork.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
While I'm not personally surprised at any of this not happening, it's apparently impossible according to the exasperated people that have since called. Maybe it's because the senior rater is an SES? The gently caress if I know, me and the other vet (a desert storm era colonel that retired after kosovo) are having a big laugh at it.

edit: the other vet took the call when the S1 called. His answer that I overheard was "then you need to go figure out who cut him his 214 because he's a free man on vacation in Morocco right now"

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 8, 2019

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Lol like anyone outside the Army gives a poo poo about a final OER or ETS award.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I have never had an NCOER. :smugdog:

Water777
Mar 19, 2015

Mustang posted:

My POV has been inspected, I've signed my safety or whatever counseling form, my personal data is on multiple trackers, rosters and data forms.

I, a grown rear end 30 year old man, am now certified safe. Nothing can happen to me during this weekend snow storm.

Don't known what I would do or how I would survive without the Army's innovative leadership techniques.

What's the count down?

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

psydude posted:

Lol like anyone outside the Army gives a poo poo about a final OER or ETS award.

I knew a manager at a telecom company who happened to be a retired Army NCO. Every wall of his office was covered with framed awards, citations, etc. Most of the people working there didn't know what anything meant so I guess it looked impressive to them. However a few of us with prior service knew most of it was just stupid bullshit. Off the top of my head I think he had something like three good conduct medals and his "diploma" from Airborne School hanging behind his desk.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Itchy_Grundle posted:

I knew a manager at a telecom company who happened to be a retired Army NCO. Every wall of his office was covered with framed awards, citations, etc. Most of the people working there didn't know what anything meant so I guess it looked impressive to them. However a few of us with prior service knew most of it was just stupid bullshit. Off the top of my head I think he had something like three good conduct medals and his "diploma" from Airborne School hanging behind his desk.

I would have laughed. Thats some pedestrian poo poo.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Do they make an NDSM one?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Water777 posted:

What's the count down?

5 months. 8 months if I get approved and accepted for a corporate fellowship, which is 3 months working for a corporation while getting paid by the Army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mustang posted:

Last time I had vehicle safety done a dumbass O3 opened my radiator cap on a hot engine instead of checking the dipstick. Yeah I made him clean that up.