Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is Rainbow Rowell Marvel exclusive? She'd probably be good on the title if they wanted to keep it going beyond this creative team. Or, and this is predictable, Kelly Thompson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Vandar posted:

Power Girl is one of my absolute favorite DC characters and every single issue of this run has been absolute suffering for me. Just a complete misunderstanding of everything that makes Power Girl who she is. It's awful and the sooner Williams is off of this book the better, be it via cancellation or someone else coming in and picking up the reins.

It's not like anything they try to develope for Power Girl and Supergirl sticks, so why would this be any different? I'm sure after this current run of superman, assumig Supercorp doesn't just go back to Lex or another Luthor, or Mercy, Supes will give operations over to say...Kara!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

Is Rainbow Rowell Marvel exclusive? She'd probably be good on the title if they wanted to keep it going beyond this creative team. Or, and this is predictable, Kelly Thompson.

She's doing one of those short stint in Action Comics coming soon like Jason Aaron did. Just a few issues to tell a story and then out. Rainbow Rowell that is.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Open Marriage Night posted:

You could just not read it.

I read bad runs for characters I like so when people ask me 'why do you not like this run what's wrong with it' I can give them a complete answer. :v:

See also why I'm killing myself with this awful Tom King Wonder Woman run.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I am so floored everytime I see people praising this Tom King run for Wonder Woman it is horrendous

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Vandar posted:

I read bad runs for characters I like so when people ask me 'why do you not like this run what's wrong with it' I can give them a complete answer. :v:

See also why I'm killing myself with this awful Tom King Wonder Woman run.

I guess if you enjoy doing that then more power to you. I don’t even have enough time for the books I like. I have a large to read pile, and there’s plenty of books I’d love to buy if I had the time/money.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

In all fairness if you got the app it's not that much of a commitment to read a single issue of a bad comic each month

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Roth posted:

I am so floored everytime I see people praising this Tom King run for Wonder Woman it is horrendous

See, my bigger issue is that there's moments here and there that work, either in the art or the writing. It'd almost be better if it was universally poo poo, because then it'd be easier to write off, but there's just enough good that you can see the talent involved but it's just... oh god, it just hit me, it's King trying to do his version of Morrison and Paquette's Earth One WW. And WW Earth One isn't even that amazing, as it's hamstrung by Morrison's sensibilities in the same way that I'm not as enamoured by a lot of their work (their mainline Superman in the New 52 never grabbed me despite people hailing it as a highlight), so a poor copy of it is already fighting an uphill battle.

I'm also gonna be the dissenting voice: I actually think the backups are WORSE than the lead feature. Trinity feels frustratingly smug, the cute kid stuff feels like it barely understands the characters of Jon or Damien, which is more egregious than taking a slightly different tone with Clark or Diana, characters with enough history that there's a spectrum and elasticity to them. At best it feels like a 4 panel joke stretched out to 8 pages.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I agree the back ups felt like trite feel good stuff.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The art is sick at least.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Gaz-L posted:

Morrison and Paquette's Earth One WW. And WW Earth One isn't even that amazing, as it's hamstrung by Morrison's sensibilities in the same way that I'm not as enamoured by a lot of their work (their mainline Superman in the New 52 never grabbed me despite people hailing it as a highlight), so a poor copy of it is already fighting an uphill battle.

Obligatory plug of the third volume of Wonder Woman Earth One, as many of the elements that held the premise back are allowed to finally have broad consequences on patriarchy around the world.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Space Fish posted:

Obligatory plug of the third volume of Wonder Woman Earth One, as many of the elements that held the premise back are allowed to finally have broad consequences on patriarchy around the world.

I've read all 3. I'm still not impressed.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

:mildpanic:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm mostly at the "it is what it is" part of the five-stage process. For a Tom King series, it's been like 85% inoffensive so far. Of course, the Diana/Hippolyta interaction in the Trinity Special was a pretty nasty sneak attack from good ol' CIA McGee there, really fuckin' warcrimed me in the face with how terrible it was, just a real harsh reminder that we're still reading a Tom King series at the end of the day...but, it's still just one issue out of the nine okay -- or even pretty decent -- ones.

I hesitate to say that I've read far worse, because the implicit danger of a Tom King book is that every next issue here could, fact, suddenly drone-strike you with the very worst thing you've ever read without any warning whatsoever. But, the simple fact still is that we've got a long way to go before we reach Finch or Robinson levels, here. Give it time! :buddy:

...But yeah Lizzie is absolutely not winning anyone over.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
The Penguin series is issue 0 by Zdarsky and the rest by King and the quick change made my head spin a little

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

King is acutely aware of how quickly he/the CIA could break Zdarsky and how, and Zdarsky has a mental list of zingers he'd use in the process.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
How was the Hal Jordan Spectre/Parallax storyline received back in the day? I'm making my way through GL Rebirth right now and it seems kind of a clusterfuck. I remember reading another story where Spectre is mind controlled by Eclipso and he made a real mess there too. What an rear end in a top hat. I bet everyone in the DC universe hates that guy

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

How was the Hal Jordan Spectre/Parallax storyline received back in the day? I'm making my way through GL Rebirth right now and it seems kind of a clusterfuck. I remember reading another story where Spectre is mind controlled by Eclipso and he made a real mess there too. What an rear end in a top hat. I bet everyone in the DC universe hates that guy

oh people loving LOATHED it top to bottom to the point that the blowback hurt people accepting Kyle Rayner at all, something the character is still struggling with today.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 27, 2024

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I kinda liked it but I was just getting into comics. Later on I was kinda miffed that they pushed my boy Kyle Rayner away for silver age nostalgia but that's what comics have been like since the mid 00s.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I honestly don't think it was just silver age nostalgia. Like I genuinely believe Kyle would have had a better reception if they hadn't thoroughly destroyed Hal Jordan's character and instead just had him gently caress off to space or retire or something. You compare that to, say, Wally West taking over as the Flash which still had a lot of weirdos obsessed with bringing Barry back but not nearly as many or as loud because he went out as a hero (and Wally had much better comics than Kyle that helped too)

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Hal Jordan is such a bland nothing burger.

I really can't wait until someone makes him Parallax once more and reveals he's suckered the DC universe. He won zero hero. He accomplished what he wanted. It's why he was the big hero for a time.

Barry needs to die and stay dead.

Screw that silver age nonsense.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

Anyone else reading Bat-Man The First Knight?

Really enjoying the setting and the focus on early bats villains (avoiding the typical lot.
The art is overall nice, especially in the larger format but the very obvious use of models I personally don't like.

Some of the dialogue, especially around the holocaust, is a bit stilted and I'm fairly sure US citizens did not know about the concentration camps in 1939.

I think I'll stick with it but I'm enjoying Dark Age and Gargoyles of Gotham much more.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Last Call posted:

Hal Jordan is such a bland nothing burger.

I really can't wait until someone makes him Parallax once more and reveals he's suckered the DC universe. He won zero hero. He accomplished what he wanted. It's why he was the big hero for a time.

Barry needs to die and stay dead.

Screw that silver age nonsense.

The only time Hal ever really worked for me was the cartoon and there they did it by basically making Hal Captain Kirk. It's more of a personality than he usually gets.

And poor Kyle even got his own personal anti-fandom of the time in response, HEAT. "Hal's Emerald Attack Team."

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Hal is fine. Barry should have stayed dead.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Finally on volume two of Dark Knights of Steel, a medieval Elseworld in which every other scene is slathered in fanbait and cameos, and I am absolutely here for it, great job Tom Taylor (and artists Bengal, Nathan Gooden, Yasmine Putri, Michele Bandini, Caspar Wijngaard...).

Edit: is Zero Hero a pejorative for Zero Hour? If so, bravo.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 27, 2024

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Mr Hootington posted:

Hal is fine. Barry should have stayed dead.

This is the correct take.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

Count me as one of the people that loving LOATHED it, I bitched and bitched about it on here back in the day. Spectre gets mind controlled by a Jean Lorning possessed, don't ask, Eclipso which leads into the only good thing about Infinite Crisis: Day of Vengeance.

Hal getting absolved from going batshit and doing Zero Hour due to yellow space bug infection was what I thought at the time as peak Johns wanting his version of Silver Age stuff to come back, same with Barry. Him and Didio.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
One of the funniest things about Hal getting absolved of every crime he committed was how several Green Lanterns he supposedly killed turned up alive! They get rescued and learn it wasn't Hal's fault because nothing ever is and everything is good right?

Except, as time goes on they start getting killed off or mangled in some body horror to become merged with their power batteries so they can police the Corps as enforcers by the Guardians.

No one gave a poo poo. People screamed bloody murder Hal had killed them. Them dying on their own one by one? Not a noise was to be had.

I really look forward to the day we get the anti Johnsa and Didio.

Make Alxe Ross cry.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 27, 2024

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The Last Call posted:

One of the funniest things about Hal getting absolved of every crime he committed was how several Green Lanterns he supposedly killed turned up alive! They get rescued and learn it wasn't Hal's fault because nothing ever is and everything is good right?

Except, as time goes on they start getting killed off or mangled in some body horror to become merged with their power batteries so they can police the Corps as enforcers by the Guardians.

No one gave a poo poo. People screamed bloody murder Hal had killed them. Them dying on their own one by one? Not a noise was to be had.

I really look forward to the day we get the anti Johnsa and Didio.

Make Alxe Ross cry.

A lot of people complained about that.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Weren't the Alpha Lanterns a Morrison thing?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I read the first volume of Poison Ivy. It was very good. If I get Batman Fear State Saga will that have the stuff about Poison Ivy becoming a god and then losing her powers, or is that in a Fear State side story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Scuba Trooper posted:

Weren't the Alpha Lanterns a Morrison thing?

No this was during the whole discovering of different color spectrum lantern corps.

Maybe right before Sinestro Corps War?