Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Her early Metamorpho stuff absolutely slaps and feels about 10 years ahead of it's time, this is so sad :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A great summation of Dwayne McDuffie's time at DC:

https://twitter.com/Foreverheroics/status/1761729506526589158

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Little over the halfway through No Man's Land and out of all the Batman Villains who isn't Catwoman, I would say Killer Croc had the most potential to be the one to be redeemed. Of course this is before they had him mutate further and really hammered home the cannibalism.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I was not aware DC has a continuity cop and it's upset at Huntress again.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Little over the halfway through No Man's Land and out of all the Batman Villains who isn't Catwoman, I would say Killer Croc had the most potential to be the one to be redeemed. Of course this is before they had him mutate further and really hammered home the cannibalism.

Yeah, was it around Hush where they just turn him into basically Marvel's Lizard but bigger?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Don't expect much consistency in Batman's villains. Croc was turned into a mindless animal in Moench/Kelley's Batman run where Swamp Thing took him in. He was turned into a hustling pimp in Azzerello's Batman run. I think writers just use Croc however they want without worrying about what any previous writers have done with the character.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

As long as Croc ends up like he does in Catwoman: Lonely City, it's all good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Wasn't Croc like pretty smart and organized until Bane beat the poo poo out of him in the build up to Knightfall?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Air Skwirl posted:

Wasn't Croc like pretty smart and organized until Bane beat the poo poo out of him in the build up to Knightfall?

He got trapped by a flood and kind of lost his mind while living off rats while in a delirious state until he encountered people again in an alley and went on a rampage, then Bane beat him up when he was fighting Batman.

Croc actually recovered from this pretty fast, and regained a good chunk of his faculties, he rematches Bane pretty soon after and they had a much more even fight (Croc realizes that the Venom is what makes him a massive threat and smashes his venom feed). Leading to a draw when they both get washed away.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 5, 2024

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Somehow I missed hearing about The Bat-Man: First Knight until like, a day ago? It's exactly the kind of thing I'm interested in. I wish we got more stories with retro settings.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

catlord posted:

Somehow I missed hearing about The Bat-Man: First Knight until like, a day ago? It's exactly the kind of thing I'm interested in. I wish we got more stories with retro settings.
Please sign my e-petition to force DC to bring back Elseworlds.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

FMguru posted:

Please sign my e-petition to force DC to bring back Elseworlds.

Your petition worked

https://www.dc.com/blog/2023/10/10/nycc-2023-dc-announces-the-return-of-elseworlds-in-2024

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm excited for Batman the Barbarian.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Poison Ivy continues showing young Pamela being the classic naive student/young scientist who ends up sleeping with her abusive lead researcher before the new girl shows up and it turns out Pam is jealous of her so hard, it wraps into wanting to jump her bones. Also, it's still hilarious to me that all of these people related to the Green in the DCU all worked in the same research lab, but weren't all part of the same accident or something.

Meanwhile, the gals in BoP are in their underwear.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Air Skwirl posted:

Croc was a very human looking guy with "the mother of all skin diseases" to quote one of Bane's stooges. Originally, he did plan to take over Gotham's underworld but got beat by the Bat, actually helped Batman save a kid in the sewers, was thought to have drown. You know, since he was just a guy who looked ugly and his skin enabled him to take some good hits but that was it, only strong. He showed back up living in the sewers eating rats, was having a mental issue, and went to fight Batman. During this Azreal was in the costume as Bruce was crashing hard. Bane saved Azreal and broke Crocs arms brutalizing him. He could have taken out Robin and Azreal Batman there and then, he did not.

That wasn't Batman and he knew it.

Croc showed up again later for revenge on Bane, now he looked more beast like. That only increased over the ages.

Always liked how Bane figured out who Batman was.

The answer?

His chin/jawline.

Bane knew Batman had to be someone wealthy or being supplied by someone wealthy, eventually he matched up the chins and the rest is history.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 7, 2024

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Batman's secret identity is probably one of the worst kept secrets in the DCU. The latest Penguin adds another two people in the know at this point. Also if you thought hyper competent Batman and Joker was bad, The Penguin does the same for the eponymous character at least in terms of charisma and social manipulation including retconning/recontextualizing their early relationship as more a public game while he acts as an informant in the underworld in secret and plays up his bird obsession to go to Arkham and it's revolving doors

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 7, 2024

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

Batman's secret identity is probably one of the worst kept secrets in the DCU. The latest Penguin adds another two people in the know at this point. Also if you thought hyper competent Batman and Joker was bad, The Penguin does the same for the eponymous character at least in terms of charisma and social manipulation

Oh God who else knows now?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Oh God who else knows now?

The Penguin and The Help (who got the info under a different pretense for the Penguin)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lol

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Xelkelvos posted:

The Penguin and The Help (who got the info under a different pretense for the Penguin)

The Penguin knows. Good lord.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

The Penguin knows. Good lord.

Thank you Tom King

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not such a big deal. i mean, i'm sure kiteman already knows too.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I was just going to say I'm about sick and tired of everybody loving knowing who Batman is. It was cool when Riddler knew it and Bruce basically logic-trapped him into not talking, but now like half his rogues' gallery knows its him and it stretches the thin layer of believability of Batman past the breaking point

edit: like, it used to be a real "oh poo poo!" moment when a villain figured out a hero's identity, but nowadays especially with Batman it's just like why even wear the mask

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 7, 2024

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Xelkelvos posted:

Batman's secret identity is probably one of the worst kept secrets in the DCU. The latest Penguin adds another two people in the know at this point. Also if you thought hyper competent Batman and Joker was bad, The Penguin does the same for the eponymous character at least in terms of charisma and social manipulation including retconning/recontextualizing their early relationship as more a public game while he acts as an informant in the underworld in secret and plays up his bird obsession to go to Arkham and it's revolving doors

Always hated when a hero seemed to be known by everyone. Especially enemies.

Usually they always end up getting hurt, suffering brain damage or having their memory wiped to reset the status quo.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

TwoPair posted:

I was just going to say I'm about sick and tired of everybody loving knowing who Batman is. It was cool when Riddler knew it and Bruce basically logic-trapped him into not talking, but now like half his rogues' gallery knows its him and it stretches the thin layer of believability of Batman past the breaking point

edit: like, it used to be a real "oh poo poo!" moment when a villain figured out a hero's identity, but nowadays especially with Batman it's just like why even wear the mask

Well I didn't mind the Riddler learning Batman's identity in Hush, I hated the way Batman basically said "you won't tell anyone because my identity is a riddle and you like riddles and you would never tell anyone the answer to a riddle " and Riddler going all "drat you. you have outriddled me!!!" (paraphrasing). It just felt very Magneto vs a wooden gun like to me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Ehh, it worked well enough on Waid's Flash run and I really loving loved Bendis' Daredevil.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lmao at Bane detonating a crate full of small nuclear devices in gotham during no man's land

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Going over the Tomasi and Gleason Batman and Robin Omnibus, goddamn is it just so freaking enjoyable and like one of the best things to come from New 52.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So Waller is just straight up kidnapping people now and getting them to work for her in addition to blackmailing them and also using the typical convict labor. I want to say they're doing Dreamer a little dirty here by accidentally killing a guy going through his dreams, but it's literally being written by her creator and original portrayer (Nicole Maines) so :shrug:

How did Jessica Cruz get out of the Yellow Lanterns btw? I forget when that happened, but it did apparently and she's back with the Greens. Action Comics also got in on the Joker-God thing too for the finale of this arc, lmao. Outsiders keeps on being weird as gently caress as per usual and all that spooky bar needs is some puppy kicking to really sell how hosed up the place is.

Klarion got to show up in two different series this week!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

So Waller is just straight up kidnapping people now and getting them to work for her in addition to blackmailing them and also using the typical convict labor. I want to say they're doing Dreamer a little dirty here by accidentally killing a guy going through his dreams, but it's literally being written by her creator and original portrayer (Nicole Maines) so :shrug:

How did Jessica Cruz get out of the Yellow Lanterns btw? I forget when that happened, but it did apparently and she's back with the Greens. Action Comics also got in on the Joker-God thing too for the finale of this arc, lmao. Outsiders keeps on being weird as gently caress as per usual and all that spooky bar needs is some puppy kicking to really sell how hosed up the place is.

Klarion got to show up in two different series this week!

Waller now has batman god-like preparedness snd knowledge and is a straight super-villain.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It's really weird that the Suicide Squad has Bizarro on it now in the same week as Action Comics wraps up its Bizarro storyline with Bizarro having exploded and just being Superman's intrusive thoughts. Also I get a kick of how these days Harley Quinn just is forced onto the Suicide Squad like she's their Wolverine and there can't be an iteration without her there. Even when, as she points out, she served her time, the story's like "uhhh... well no you didn't and it doesn't matter that Waller's basically made her full heel turn from morally dubious to active villainy now?"

Xelkelvos posted:

How did Jessica Cruz get out of the Yellow Lanterns btw? I forget when that happened, but it did apparently and she's back with the Greens.

I don't think there was a reason, it all just happened off-panel. I think a lot of storylines with Green Lantern(s) just kind of got dropped/rebooted when that Dark Crisis event happened. At least, that's the best I can find with Google.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 14, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

I don't think there was a reason, it all just happened off-panel. I think a lot of storylines with Green Lantern(s) just kind of got dropped/rebooted when that Dark Crisis event happened. At least, that's the best I can find with Google.

That's right. She just stopped. It was a neat idea but oh well.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

That's right. She just stopped. It was a neat idea but oh well.

That's honestly a shame and could've been integrated with the whole United Planets taking over/eliminating the Corps thing instead of just shunting it altogether. Hell, make it part of a plot point where she goes back to being a green to help the Yellows too.

Can't let the human lanterns be other colors for too long, I guess.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Can't let the human lanterns be other colors for too long, I guess.
Eh, John Stewart is getting a lot of screen time these days

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I don't think the basic tier of dc infinite is getting non-batman books anymore

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

She could still do it, plot point in the Hal GL series now is that the united planets lanterns can change what ring color they use.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
is that motherfucking Three-Willie Seth in the latest Outsiders

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
introducing new human green lanterns and then abandoning them entirely in favor of hal is standard practice.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Azubah posted:

She could still do it, plot point in the Hal GL series now is that the united planets lanterns can change what ring color they use.

And, of course, they're the bad guys because being emotionally healthy is for villains, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Picked up Batman / Dylan Dog for a friend who absolutely loves Cemetery Man, it's good stuff.