Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Reading the new issue of Outsiders and Nocturna's "everything's hosed, so let's enjoy it while we can bitches" philosophy is strangely appealing, And while the series can't hope to live up to its inspiration, I have to say I like this Drummer way more than the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Oh God nocturnal is back?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I don't know what Drummer is up to but it seems cool.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I should really reread Planetary

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I should also add that having nu Jenny's power basically be anxiety crisis incarnate actually feels perfectly appropriate for current 21st century life. She's having a rubbish time, we're all having a rubbish time.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Endless Mike posted:

I should really reread Planetary

Reread it earlier this year, holds up incredibly well (separating art from artist of course lol)

So how do we feel about DC allowing AI art in their books? First with this Andrea Sorrentino Batman issue and then now this Power Girl #10 variant cover by Daxiong!

Bad stuff!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sentinel Red posted:

I should also add that having nu Jenny's power basically be anxiety crisis incarnate actually feels perfectly appropriate for current 21st century life. She's having a rubbish time, we're all having a rubbish time.

It's also doubly appropriate for DC as they can't seem to stop having an in universe every so often.

Jenny Crisis

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
pretty sure that's intentional because the book so far has been not really hinting as much as announcing there's gonna be another crisis

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Good week for DC! Nightwing was heartwarming, Titans was funny and moved the plot forward, Superman wrapped up the current storyline, and Wonder Woman took a break to go to the spacemall with Superman which was way more fun than the heavy political stuff.

I'm looking forward to Mark Russel and Mike Allred giving Batman the Superman: Space Age treatment in the near future!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Reread it earlier this year, holds up incredibly well (separating art from artist of course lol)

So how do we feel about DC allowing AI art in their books? First with this Andrea Sorrentino Batman issue and then now this Power Girl #10 variant cover by Daxiong!

Bad stuff!

The Daxiong covers aren't AI, he posted the in-progress sketches of them.

They just LOOK like AI and have all the telltale signs of it. :v:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Good week for DC! Nightwing was heartwarming, Titans was funny and moved the plot forward, Superman wrapped up the current storyline, and Wonder Woman took a break to go to the spacemall with Superman which was way more fun than the heavy political stuff.

I'm looking forward to Mark Russel and Mike Allred giving Batman the Superman: Space Age treatment in the near future!

There's something about the art in Wonder Woman that bugs me. Clark and Diana have these weird bedroom eyes throughout a lot of the issue. Also his chin is gigantic. King's writing for Wonder Woman is still very weird and offputting

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I wrapped up No man's land finally. There are decent stories throughout the year, but overall it kind of drags, doesn't make sense sometimes, and the ending is awful. This event also really sets in stone modern joker. Overall I think it was not very good.

Ps,
Nightwing and huntress:bravo:

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 22, 2024

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Huntress is in a really weird place right now and it's really funny in a way. Especially as there should be two running around right now and neither are probably aware of the other

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

Huntress is in a really weird place right now and it's really funny in a way. Especially as there should be two running around right now and neither are probably aware of the other

I wasn't talking about today's Huntress, but the idea of Grayson and Helena becoming a couple. Very cool they set up a barbara/dick relationship and blew it up for nonsense.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Xelkelvos posted:

Right? Helena's still in the Bat-Fam because she'll show up when, like, Nightwing calls them all in but I don't really think she's anywhere right now and we do still have the Earth 2 Power Girl BFF running around? Maybe?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Right? Helena's still in the Bat-Fam because she'll show up when, like, Nightwing calls them all in but I don't really think she's anywhere right now and we do still have the Earth 2 Power Girl BFF running around? Maybe?

I don't mean that one! The JSA has a Huntress whose background is the same as the classic Earth 2 version, but from the future rather than an alternate Earth, but that timeline is gone now because the instigator of it was stopped (Per Degaton). I think the current Earth 2 one went back? Maybe? I don't honestly remember if she shows up in group shots the last time we saw stuff from that world.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

JSA and the related books are all very good

Edit: and the future Huntress is stuck now I believe. Per debating didn't erase her timeliness she erased it herself by telling batman how he would die.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 22, 2024

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Huntress is stuck because every arc with her begins with Batman not liking "her methods" and acting like an over righteous arsehole towards her, only for the arc to end with him respecting her and the. The next arc will start again with the exact same cycle.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

He meant she’s stuck in the past. Helena Wayne, not Bertinelli.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
This short of poo poo is why the continuity cop is gonna pay her a visit. I assume the hawks are either free from scrutiny now or she gave up a long time ago

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Open Marriage Night posted:

He meant she’s stuck in the past. Helena Wayne, not Bertinelli.

I still hold that Bertinelli is stuck a metaphorical past because Batman keeps forgetting that he respects her now.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

This short of poo poo is why the continuity cop is gonna pay her a visit.

He literally says this in the latest issue of blue beetle lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Azubah posted:

There is a new blue beetle series? And Helena Wayne is in it?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

A continuity cop shows up in blue beetle and says he's going to yell at huntress once he's done with BB.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Azubah posted:

That's literally what I was referencing.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I think the Penguin series is just really good. Thanks everyone.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I feel like I'm kind of dumb for saying this, but I'm not sure I'm really liking the current run on Flash. The family drama stuff just feels depressing with a dash of the 'aren't superheroes childish and bad' deconstruction I'm over, and the larger plot feels like it's either way too clever for me, or not as clever as it thinks it is so much as not entirely coherent.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Huge same. I think it being a slow burn really works.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Gaz-L posted:

I feel like I'm kind of dumb for saying this, but I'm not sure I'm really liking the current run on Flash. The family drama stuff just feels depressing with a dash of the 'aren't superheroes childish and bad' deconstruction I'm over, and the larger plot feels like it's either way too clever for me, or not as clever as it thinks it is so much as not entirely coherent.

I'm totally with you, I'm not enjoying it at all. It just feels like a slog to read.

Definitely the bottom of my to read pile at the moment.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Totally agreed--it's also making me feel incredibly dumb; I'm truly not understanding the *plot* at all. I get the broad strokes of the narrative here but the plot is just totally hard to follow for me

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Without Adams, Flash has just slid back into the garbage that it has mostly existed in for the last several years. It is definitely one of the DC books I am the least interested in, and because this is an era where most of DCs output is better then usual it makes it look worse.

Darker Flash stories have never worked well for me.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

better to pretend we are at least minimally interested so DC doesn't kill or disappear Wally again.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Except the part where Penguin knows Batman's identity and that they've basically had this agreement forever that Penguin act as his informant while knowingly letting some of his organized crime slide

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

I dumped it a few issues ago. It wasn't doing it for me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Without Adams, Flash has just slid back into the garbage that it has mostly existed in for the last several years. It is definitely one of the DC books I am the least interested in, and because this is an era where most of DCs output is better then usual it makes it look worse.

Darker Flash stories have never worked well for me.

It's true. The writer on the previous run hit on the the key to Wally that Mark Waid used so well ages ago: "Run fast and love his family." That's what Wally does.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I’m enjoying the flash because I like the hard sci-fi type stuff it’s dealing with, but I totally see everyone’s point. Honestly, this should have been a 12 issue maxiseries for DC Black Label. Reduce some of the time spent on family, amp up the body horror type stuff that comes from the new concepts, that would have been a nice outlier and you still get fun mainline Flash family elsewhere.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Huh, that makes me feel a bit better, as I was sure the last time it came up here it was effusive praise for what Spurrier was doing.

Oddly I almost feel frustrated with the Jay/Judy Garrick mini too because Adams is writing that as if it's an ongoing which means it feels too loose and open to end satisfactorily

And Speed Force is a mess

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 28, 2024

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Xelkelvos posted:

Except the part where Penguin knows Batman's identity and that they've basically had this agreement forever that Penguin act as his informant while knowingly letting some of his organized crime slide

Nah that's cool

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm certainly into the hard sci-fi stuff being done, but I'd say it needs to pick up the pace a little rather than merely dwelling on wally feeling sad and being less of a mystery box on the whole thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

His identity is kinda whatever, but the other stuff is pretty much how the Penguin has been for over a decade.